dfgdx
The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/3/2006 5:29PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When i run, the toes of my left foot point inwards

This stretches out the outside of the front part of my ankle

It's hard to explain but after a short period of running, the front of my ankle is sore/numb so that I can't apply force against the ground (basically I can't run)

and it's extremely difficult to even lift my toes up with my heels on the ground (again, because the front part of my ankle is sore)

if "front part of my ankle" isn't the right way to describe it, well then it's the front part of the area connecting my foot to my leg

Anyways, I'm mainly looking for what this is called so I can google it

Any help is appreciateD!
dr. zin
RE: The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/3/2006 5:39PM - in reply to dfgdx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
ok, you prob havent had any responses because no one can figure out wth you're saying.

The pain is on the outside or inside of your leg?

If it's on the inside of the leg/ankle, the most commonly injured tendon is the posterior tibialis. This tendon creeps along your shin bone and inserts in the calf. This tendon also provides the ability to pull your foot/toes toward your shin, or dorsiflexion.

If the pain's on the outside of your leg/ankle, look up the peroneal tendon. The brevis is the short tendon and the longus runs under the foot.

Hope this helps. Ice, and figure out why it happened.
dfgdx
RE: The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/3/2006 5:51PM - in reply to dr. zin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
hey thanks!

"outside of the front" is how i worded it because it's not directly front or directly on the side

posterior tibialis sounds like the problem

"This tendon also provides the ability to pull your foot/toes toward your shin, or dorsiflexion"

Yep thats it

Many thanks!
lohalloran
RE: The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/3/2006 6:52PM - in reply to dfgdx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know what you're saying, I've had the same pain before. Ice the hell out of it and take a day or two off. Then when your start running ice it religiously- ice for about half an hour to an hour after every run.

Mine just went away, I think it's some kind of tendonitis.
Peter Gibbons, PT
RE: The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/3/2006 7:20PM - in reply to dfgdx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's not your posterior tibialis. Outside of leg, remember?

If it's just below and in front of the "ankle bump" on the outside of your ankle, it's probably your anterior talofibular ligament.

Did you twist your ankle, or roll it to the outside lately? It won't be your peroneals because they don't assist with pulling up the foot, they help push it down.

Go see a PT, people can't diagnose you on a message board.
JPL
RE: The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/3/2006 8:11PM - in reply to dfgdx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Some parts of the description sound a lot like anterior tibilais "compartment syndrome" to me...
dfgdx
RE: The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/4/2006 4:17PM - in reply to JPL Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well I went to see the athletic trainer today

Oh boy, basically what they said was "if you can tolerate the pain, i dont see why you cant run"

Said nothing about ligaments/syndromes/whatever

Basically felt my ankle, put on an ankle brace, and sent me on my way
4 weeks and counting
RE: The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/4/2006 5:04PM - in reply to dfgdx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a similar injury in the same spot: outside of foot and just in front of the ankle. The trainer also told me it was OK to run on it, but after it got so bad after a race that I couldn't run anymore. X-rays revealed no stress fracture.
The doctor said it was tendonitis and told me to rest until it was healed, and meanwhile, to ice it as long as there was swelling and to use heat on days there was no swelling.
It's been 29 days and it still hurts, although not as bad as before.
How long does tendonitis take to heal? The doctor only said, "It varies."
againtocarthage
RE: The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/4/2006 5:08PM - in reply to dfgdx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
base brz?
injuries..
RE: The ligament/tendon at the front of my ankle is sore/inflamed.. What is this called???????? 12/8/2006 3:04PM - in reply to againtocarthage Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds like extensor tendonitis. Make sure you ice massage it every day!