lade da
Ouch!!! Are foam rollers supposed to hurt that much??? 11/18/2006 9:18PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I recently got IT band syndrome and since than I have read so many threads on the subject and everyone recommends using the foam roller. I Just bought one, read up on how to use it on http://www.smiweb.org/massage_clinic/pdf/roller_guide.pdf (Michael Stember is the test dummy here), tried it, and I have to say that it hurts alot. Is that what your supposed to feel? Thanks for your input.
Southern Man
RE: Ouch!!! Are foam rollers supposed to hurt that much??? 11/18/2006 9:21PM - in reply to lade da Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, it hurts like hell when you are first starting out. I had to put almost all of my weight on my "down" foot just to bear it for more than a couple of seconds. That's a sign it is working. Keep at it and gradually increase your time as it loosens up.
my experience has been:
RE: Ouch!!! Are foam rollers supposed to hurt that much??? 11/18/2006 9:22PM - in reply to lade da Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When it stops hurting to roll it will stop hurting to run.

The spot that hurts is the spot to concentrate on.
lade da
RE: Ouch!!! Are foam rollers supposed to hurt that much??? 11/18/2006 9:27PM - in reply to Southern Man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
how long am I supposed to keep it up? How many reps? OF all the sites it never specifies how many.

I found another website that may be helpful to people with the same problem. It seemed like alot of people on these boards were asking on how to use the foam roller so I included this one along with the above website (both really good on instructing on how to use it. They just dont instruct on how many times to use per day.
Southern Man
RE: Ouch!!! Are foam rollers supposed to hurt that much??? 11/18/2006 9:39PM - in reply to lade da Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Do it as much as possible. I could only do it for a couple minutes when I started, but worked up to doing it at about 3 times per day-about 15 minutes each time. I only roll about three times a week now to keep things loosened up.
Southern Man
RE: Ouch!!! Are foam rollers supposed to hurt that much??? 11/18/2006 9:43PM - in reply to Southern Man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I also did some stretching and strengthening exercises from this link: http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=6099
yup
RE: Ouch!!! Are foam rollers supposed to hurt that much??? 11/19/2006 12:36AM - in reply to Southern Man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
whats her name, and do you think I have a chance?
the stick
RE: Ouch!!! Are foam rollers supposed to hurt that much??? 11/19/2006 3:44AM - in reply to yup Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i just use "the stick" and it does the same thing... except i have to have someone else rub out my calves b/c i can't do it hard enough myself anymore. but you can do basically all of the stretches specified in the first link with the stick either by yourself or with someone else helping you... and its way easier to adjust how much pressure you put on and how much pain it causes... just remember that pain is part of the healing process and yes it is supposed to hurt like hell but it does get better!