nice times for girls
Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/6/2006 9:39PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have always been perplexed by this. I could come up with a faux scientific explanation, but I'm not in the mood.

Interestingly, the stinkier underarm has changed over time. By my estimation, every 6 years one armpit takes over the stink superiority or inferiority if you like.

Strangely, the opposing armpit has almost no smell whatsoever---although this could be desensitization as I never remember to smell the less offensive armpit first. Thus, I am always experiencing sensory overload as I go to check out the relative stench of my allegedly unoffensive underarm.

Any thoughts? By the way, I am currently (for the past 3 years or so) dealing with a stinky right armpit and a neutral smelling left armpit.

Truthfully, I don't even use deodorant on my left side some days---it is that little of an olfactory concern.
Guppy
RE: Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/6/2006 9:49PM - in reply to nice times for girls Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe you get used to the smelliness so the second time you smell the smell doesn't seem as strong? Funny post.
AI
RE: Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/6/2006 9:54PM - in reply to nice times for girls Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does one side sweat more?
Nose
RE: Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/6/2006 10:20PM - in reply to AI Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe one nostril is more sensitive than the other?

Cryrano
??
RE: Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/7/2006 7:26AM - in reply to nice times for girls Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When you're showering, which hand do you squeeze shower gel into? If it's your right this might explain it. You then rub this into your left armpit and rinse, and so it gets clean, but you then have to do a transfer of gel to your left hand to rub into your right armpit, which is rather inefficient and so you don't clean your right armpit as well.

Solution is to clean armpits separately, squeezing shower gel into each hand consecutively.
JohnnyBigOnes
RE: Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/7/2006 8:07AM - in reply to ?? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Or don't use shower gel like a little NANCY GIRL!!!!

Use LAVA SOAP.

And stop wearing deodorant. I haven't worn it in years and I stopped smelling altogether.
Craft Advocate
RE: Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/7/2006 8:24AM - in reply to JohnnyBigOnes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Johnny-

Is this true that your cessation of deodorant use decreased your actual stink? I have always believed that this might be true.

Incidentally, the more that I run, the less overall B.O. I experience.
JohnnyBigOnes
RE: Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/7/2006 8:48AM - in reply to Craft Advocate Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, it is actually true.

I wouldn't rely on my own observations, my wife is pretty honest with me, and she agrees.

I do sweat more under the pits at work and stuff, but I wear an undershirt so it doesn't matter, I never get sweat marks or anything.

I run quite a bit, and I think that is why I don't smell as bad as most people would.

I sincerely believe that things like deodorant were invented for people who don't sweat honestly.

I drink about a gallon of water or more each day, and run around 75-100 miles per week. I think I just flush all of the crap out of my body before it has time to stink.

Plus, I am not sure I want all those chemicals rubbing into my lymph glands every day.

I am not a hippy, by the way. I don't use patcholi, and would probably go back to deodorant if I smelled like BO.
Craft Advocate
RE: Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/7/2006 9:47AM - in reply to JohnnyBigOnes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Johnny-

How's your diet? Have you ever noticed stench to diet correlation?
tdg
RE: Why does one of my armpits stink worse than the other? 11/7/2006 9:49AM - in reply to JohnnyBigOnes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My roomate does the same most of the time. Seems to work more or less.

Just make sure you clean well in the shower.