EnduranceMan
Tendonitis on top of foot(metatarsal area) 8/29/2006 9:16PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey, I am trying to heal up some tendonitis on the top of my foot, on the 2nd metatarsal. It was going on for a week or so and I was running on it because it didn't hurt while I ran and I only noticed it once I stopped running. Since then I have taken about 13 days off, just cycling, and the swelling has gone away, but when i flex my toes downward there is a little discomfort. Anyone have any experiences with this injury and know how to speed recovery? Would light massage help to increase blood flow? I started to try that today for about 10 min, just rubbing my fingers gently over the foot. Thanks for any info.
EnduranceMan
RE: Tendonitis on top of foot(metatarsal area) 8/30/2006 5:03PM - in reply to EnduranceMan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
mandingo
RE: Tendonitis on top of foot(metatarsal area) 8/31/2006 12:11AM - in reply to EnduranceMan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Might be what we used to call "Lace Bite" .
Usually you get it from tying your shoes too tight.
Use some ice, relace your shoes so that area doesn't have lace pressure and do them up lighter.
Check it out with a physio if its not gone soon. I had what I thought was tendonitis last fall but turned to be a stress fracture.
Avocado's Number
RE: Tendonitis on top of foot(metatarsal area) 8/31/2006 1:35AM - in reply to EnduranceMan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I found that icing was especially useful for treating tendonitis above the metatarsals. After two or three days of icing, I'd feel crepitus (creaking) in the tendons when flexing the toes up and down. To me, that indicated that the inflammation process had stopped. When the crepitus began to subside a bit, I could generally return to running.

Although playing around with shoe laces may help, I think this injury is usually a little more complicated than an irritation of the tendons caused by rubbing against the laces. I think it's more of an overuse injury. You can try various ways of running through it (for example, uphill treadmill running, which removes some of the stress associated with the eccentric contraction involved in lowering the foot to the ground), but the injury has to run its course.
getting mizunos
RE: Tendonitis on top of foot(metatarsal area) 8/31/2006 3:41AM - in reply to Avocado's Number Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i had a very similar problem this time last year. i iced it in a bucket of very cold water 3times a day. bu it was only when i has massage on the area that i finally went away. the massage was uie intense and ran both up the line of the tendons and across them. find someone who knows what they are doing and treats runners regularly and i hope hat will work for you as well as it did for me.
EnduranceMan
RE: Tendonitis on top of foot(metatarsal area) 8/31/2006 1:28PM - in reply to getting mizunos Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the replies, I am massaging it myself very gently though to increase blood flow, and it seems to relax the tendon. I recently discovered that my knees are knocked inwards(the opposite of bowlegged), and I was wearing an insole in my right shoe(where the tendon got injured) and only in that shoe before I discovered this because I thought I had a leg length discrepancy. I think my body compensated and by wearing only one insole(one of those extra cushioning ones) the tendon became inflamed. I do remember "creakiness", which is gone now. I haven't iced but the swelling has dissappeared. But I guess when I start running again I should ice after each run, and definitely not wear any insoles.
i had it too
RE: Tendonitis on top of foot(metatarsal area) 8/31/2006 1:40PM - in reply to EnduranceMan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I got this once from lacing my shoe to tight on a 60 minute run. I skipped the eyelets where the laces went over the tender spot and just kept running. It went away in a few days.