Crumple Stiltskin
Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 11:25AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So I've run a few races and watched a few on TV and noticed more and more people wearing cumpled race numbers. Is there a functional reaason for this or did they just forget to iron? I've seen this on Pro's, college runners, and every day joes. Anyone? Thanks in advance for your reply.
gv10k
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 11:35AM - in reply to Crumple Stiltskin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you crumple it up, your # won't catch the wind as much. I started crumpling mine up when racing on a very windy day, but now it's just much a habit.
SB
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 11:40AM - in reply to Crumple Stiltskin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
sometimes when i'm tired my hand catches on a stiffer number. it's sort of a leftover habit from when numbers used to be much stiffer.
stretchy mcrunnerson
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 11:41AM - in reply to Crumple Stiltskin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In high school I was very anal about my race number for some unknown reason. It always had to be perfect: no creases, completely uncrumpled, pristine. Then at a cross country race my sophomore year, I pinned my number to my jersey and without thinking put it in my spike bag. By race time, my number was crumpled. I was distraught. But I went out and had a great race. After that race, I started balling up my number before hand. Nine years later I'm still crumpling!
paper cut
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 11:49AM - in reply to stretchy mcrunnerson Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Besides the wind issue, if the number is crumpled its less likely to jab a corner into you since there aren't any long straight edges. It moves with you much better.
a.k.a eddie
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 11:58AM - in reply to paper cut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i've been doing it since my first race.
Dauby
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 12:26PM - in reply to Crumple Stiltskin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It lets your singlet move a little more natural with your body than having a stiff race number.
David Katz
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 1:12PM - in reply to Dauby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Gentlemen
Your reasons for crumpling the bib has some validity but there is a USATF & IAAF Rules against it (USATF rule 143.4)

There are several reasons for the rule:
1.To be as visible as possible for the offcials, announcer and spectators.
2. To give appropriate exposure to the event name and/or sponsors (if printed on the bib).

As you get to higher profile and more competitive events you will see that the officials take this very seriously. At the top meets there is a Call Room Referee (should be at every meet)who checks that the number is not folded or crumpled. They will also check for inappropriate jewelry or body art.

In addition, the meet/race director & sponsors will be more willing to invite you back (especially if you are getting apperance money) if you play the game and show off their logos.
We all need to buy into the sponsorship/marketing game. Be nice to the sponsors - without them we have very little.
fletch
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 1:28PM - in reply to David Katz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
but the race numbers at the top meets are also a lot softer then the run of the mill race number you'd get in your local road race. Some are even cloth...no need to crumple.
Eli Yoder
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 1:33PM - in reply to fletch Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

fletch wrote:

but the race numbers at the top meets are also a lot softer then the run of the mill race number you'd get in your local road race. Some are even cloth...no need to crumple.

You forget, less than 1/10th of 1% of the respondents (including me, nationals & Penn Relays are it) have ever run at a top meet.
usatf
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 1:40PM - in reply to Eli Yoder Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Eli Yoder wrote:

fletch wrote:

You forget, less than 1/10th of 1% of the respondents (including me, nationals & Penn Relays are it) have ever run at a top meet.

softer? the usatf champs have a bumper sticker with your name on it. it'd be softer if they made leather bibs. crumplings the way to go
fletch
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 1:41PM - in reply to Eli Yoder Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Eli Yoder wrote:

fletch wrote:

Myself included...however, if the meet is big enough to have a call room referee, the meet is probably big enough to have really nice bib numbers.
David Katz
RE: Crumpled Race Number 8/17/2006 2:07PM - in reply to fletch Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's all relative.
Someone or some company is sponsoring many of your local road races.
The most important advertising space at any track meet or road race is the bib. A local sponsor's name and logo often appears in local newspapers or tv. One of the main reason for lost sponsors is not enough exposure.