5ker
Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 9:11AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a 5k road race this saturday morning (first one in a long time) and I was wondering what a good pre-race meal/snack would be that morning and how long before the race I should eat it?
Tai Webb
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 9:19AM - in reply to 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
AARGH -- THE SAME THING YOU EAT IN TRAINING.

Has training gone well for you? If so, why do something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT when you race?
10ker
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 9:22AM - in reply to 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Take a pre-race meal of 200-400 calories at least three hours before exercise.

Focus on complex carbs, starches, and a little protein for your pre-race meal.

Avoid high fiber, simple sugars, and high fat in your pre-race meal.

Some ideas:

Plain Bagel with 1/2 cup yogurt;
Cream of Wheat with lowfat milk;
Banana with 1 cup yogurt.
adam goucher
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 9:24AM - in reply to 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
pop tarts and gatorade is the way to go
Solaris
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 9:29AM - in reply to 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ham and egss, you want people to know what you ate when it shoots out on the sidewalk.
Frosted Cherry
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 9:45AM - in reply to 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1 pop tart about 15-20 minutes before the race
fatty mcfatFat
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 9:46AM - in reply to 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
2 or 3 big macs, you don't want to eat too much before a race
a.ka. eddie
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 9:51AM - in reply to fatty mcfatFat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
coffee
Titan
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 9:59AM - in reply to 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pre race diet strategy- This plan will minimize lactic acid production and enhance o2 absorption.

1 hour before- Eat seven Tacos w/xtra hot sauce followed by a shot of tequilla.

15min before- Drink 1/2 gallon of buttermilk

On starting line- drink one can of warm clam juice
luv2run
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 11:04AM - in reply to 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

5ker wrote:

I have a 5k road race this saturday morning (first one in a long time) and I was wondering what a good pre-race meal/snack would be that morning and how long before the race I should eat it?

You need to experiment. Everyone will be different in terms of what he/she can eat and how close to the start of the race it can be eaten.
Sloppy McPharty
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 8/3/2006 11:07AM - in reply to fatty mcfatFat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

fatty mcfatFat wrote:

2 or 3 big macs, you don't want to eat too much before a race

Typical childish, silly answer to a serious question. The real answer is chicken fried steak and eggs, extra gravy.
jonhdh
RE: Best pre-race meal/snack before a 5k 9/7/2012 1:51PM - in reply to 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
3 Big macs (CRUCIAL)
2 extra large Dr.Pepper drinks and one penis pop :)
Hope ya do GOOD!
Oatmeal, applesauce, clif bar, banana, yogurt