pain
Can you run without a big toe?? 7/30/2006 7:58PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you have an arthritic big toe that prevents you from running, can you have it amputated and resume training?
john cash
RE: Can you run without a big toe?? 7/30/2006 8:02PM - in reply to pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you might shuffle like mark conover but still be very effective...
CO-Runner
RE: Can you run without a big toe?? 7/30/2006 8:02PM - in reply to pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You can have the joint fused, and tilted up at an angle, so that it has a more correct "roll" when you push off.
1:45
RE: Can you run without a big toe?? 7/30/2006 8:32PM - in reply to pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Anyone heard of Paul McMullen? Missing a big toe and setting PRs in his 30s
ttc
RE: Can you run without a big toe?? 7/31/2006 7:11AM - in reply to 1:45 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

1:45 wrote:

Anyone heard of Paul McMullen? Missing a big toe and setting PRs in his 30s

According to him, he's not missing the entire toe, but still has a decent portion of it. He even said that if any more was cut off, then his running career would've been over.
LittlePiggyAtTheMarket
RE: Can you run without a big toe?? 7/31/2006 7:16AM - in reply to pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am just back to running after being off 8 weeks with a broken big toe. I can tell you the little guy sure seems to be pretty important. I tried to shuffle along and not use my big toe, but that was still painful and caused a lot of pain in my knee and ankle.
my thoughts...
RE: Can you run without a big toe?? 7/31/2006 12:28PM - in reply to pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

pain wrote:

If you have an arthritic big toe that prevents you from running, can you have it amputated and resume training?

There was a guy that ran when I was in HS that shot his big toe off during a hunting accident (I think he put the barrel of the gun on it whan going over a fence or something). Anyway, shot it right off. Came back a year later to run mid 16's for 5K XC.
marijuologist
RE: Can you run without a big toe?? 7/31/2006 12:39PM - in reply to pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
persons with prosthetic limbs don't have big toes
Knothumm
RE: Can you run without a big toe?? 7/31/2006 1:02PM - in reply to marijuologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

marijuologist wrote:

persons with prosthetic limbs don't have big toes

And persons who lost their thumbs in machinery or other misadventure don't have big toes either!!
MarathonMind
RE: Can you run without a big toe?? 7/31/2006 1:13PM - in reply to marijuologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think all you'd need is one of those nearly-rigid plastic prosthetics that would bend when the foot had it in compression and flex back to mimic the "toe off" phase of the foot strike. I think you could run pretty well with such a device under or replacing the toe once you were moving, but would be lacking acceleration strength.