Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Brady Grady
Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:14AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I remember seeing Michael Manns outstanding Jericho mile several years ago. Actually, I believe it to be his most complete film. Even though it is fiction it seems entirely plausible. The main character Murphy is in prison for murdering his stepfather for abusing his family. Murphy passes his time running in the prison yard. However, he has no idea how fast he is running. A coach spots him and thinks he may have world-class talent. The best scene in the film is when all the murders, rapist, and assorted misfits get together to build a track so Murphy can compete with national caliber runners. Murphy wins and it is decided he will run in the US trials. However, politics get in the way and he never runs in trials. Instead, he runs a sub 3:50 mile in the prison yard with the whole population watching. He breaks the world record and then throws his watch against the wall. The watch shatters against the wall, but the time stays in Murphy's mind. The record becomes an urban myth.

I have been looking for this film on the Internet. However, the DVD is a Danish version that won't work on US players. The VHS version is available. I wonder why one of the top TV films of the 70s is not available on DVD in the US.

Awards: Won 3 Emmys. Another 2 wins & 1 nomination
Peter Strauss got best actor in a dramatic series 1979.
yeah
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:22AM - in reply to Brady Grady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The acting is so terrible...but it was entertaining.
SC Slim
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:30AM - in reply to Brady Grady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I got a DVD of the movie on ebay that is playable on american DVD players. It was from a person who did their own "remastering" of old movies on VHS and transferred them to DVD.

The movie was good despite the acting. As a runner, I also over-analysed the running parts.
Asterix
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:31AM - in reply to Brady Grady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Brady Grady wrote:
Even though it is fiction it seems entirely plausible.

Are you serious?

Great story and entertaining movie, but "entirely plausible"?

Does the name John Gill ring a bell?
thanks
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:36AM - in reply to Asterix Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
nice job putting a spoiler warning on your post, guess i wont be seeing it now
Brady Grady
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:40AM - in reply to yeah Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Like most films from the 70s the acting was superior to today's film acting. Could you see Tom Cruise playing the lead in this movie?
Brady Grady
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:42AM - in reply to Asterix Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The Jon GIll saga was obviously stolen from this film.
Read the Joh Gill article and it sounds like an outline to the Jericho Mile.
Annika Irmler
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:50AM - in reply to Brady Grady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Image: http://www.kaumudijalakam.com/WDANGLE/jan12/Tongue.jpg

mr. woodman
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:56AM - in reply to Brady Grady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Weird. I just looked it up on IMDb - they list the 1979 original, but also a 2007 version in development. Anyone know if this is really happening? A remake of the finest prison running movie of all time?
mr. woodman
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 9:58AM - in reply to Brady Grady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Oh - try a google search next time. DVD is available here:
Brady Grady
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 10:47AM - in reply to mr. woodman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
For the role Peter Strauss got into 4:45 mile condition. To make the running scenes realistic Mann had Strauss and assorted local college milers run 60 seconds quarters. He looped the quarters together to make it look like Strauss was maintaining that pace. Slow motion was also used quite a bit in this movie.

This film got Mann noticed in Hollywood and probably played a role in getting Miama Vice produced five years later.

After his emmy award for Jericho Mile Strauss has continued to work. He averages a project a year, but none have had the impact of Jericho mile. I think he was also known for acting in Rich man Poor man in the mid 70's.

He has also gotton a lot of voice over work for commercials and cartoons.

Strauss is not a A list star but he still gets work because producers know he will give a solid performance.
Bob Wildes
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 10:52AM - in reply to Brady Grady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Strauss's big break was costarring with Candace Bergen in 'Soldier Blue'.
V02-Max-Man
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 10:56AM - in reply to Bob Wildes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The only thing I've seen him in lately are Miracle-Gro commercials.

He does have a nice looking garden.
Brady Grady
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 11:02AM - in reply to V02-Max-Man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Strauss is a serious gardener. In fact he owns one of the most elaborate celebrity gardens.
Brady Grady
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 11:06AM - in reply to mr. woodman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the DVD link.
hot midwest girl
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 11:11AM - in reply to Brady Grady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I love the movie and have seen it many times because I have the VHS.

Although Strauss being in 4:45 mile shape at the time sounds dubious. If you watch carefully, the running scenes never show Strauss running more than 125y in any segment. Although he does a passable job of looking like a runner, Strauss is too thicky muscled and clunky to run a 4:45. And his sprinter arm movements are pretty laughable. No way he could keep that going for four laps.
Lickity Split
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/25/2006 12:03PM - in reply to hot midwest girl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When speaking about his traing partner Stiles after he had been offed for something or other having to do with supplying sugar for pruno production, Lickity Split said: "He was my brother man!"

Great running music: Sympathy for the Devil
Royce Gracie
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/29/2009 8:46PM - in reply to Lickity Split Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm thinking about a comeback. Has anyone heard if Lickity Split is back in training.
black rainbow
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/30/2009 1:08AM - in reply to Royce Gracie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"say man, you can have my chicken..."
Rain Murphy
RE: Jericho Mile Great Flick 7/30/2009 8:11AM - in reply to black rainbow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm back! I just got sent up the river for a life stretch and I'm traing hard.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |