Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Wintermix
medecine 6/5/2003 5:46AM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
getting a background in generalized biology does nothing that med school wont. Ecology is not going to help a pediatrician. You have to take fundamental courses yes, but in your graduate program you learn what you take into the field, you dolt.
raiderxc99
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 5:50AM - in reply to Stater of the Obvious Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Stater of the Obvious wrote:

AHHHHHHH! so now we know who to blame for stupid worthless overpriced gimmick shoes like the Shox! its the friggin kinesiologists!

I don't know about that...I'd tell you they don't do much because they were so stiff you didn't compress the columns unless you were on the plus side of 200 lbs....the concept has merit but the shoes don't show it. But that doesn't keep Nike from selling 'em! Find someone who will pay $$$ for gimmicky shoes ("fashion" people, middle aged businessmen with lots of extra cash lying around) and you can sell anything.
Youngin'
RE: medecine 1/1/2005 1:01AM - in reply to Wintermix Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Wintermix wrote:

you dolt.

Hey thanks for being a stupid f***, you stupid f***. I asked for civil replies, not namecalling and hostile posts. Honestly, some of the people on these boards are the most idiotic people i've ever come in contact with. A bunch of whiny anony-pussies. I commend you for posting your email addres, but you're no better than the rest of them. I was hoping there would be some decent, normal people here who would be willing to help out someone who needed it, and i see that some people have, but it's people like you who make me glad i'm not people like you.
Youngin'
RE: medecine 6/5/2003 5:58AM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sorry, my last post was a little out of line now that i read it, but seriously, has there ever been 1 topic on this board that led to a completely normal discussion without people attacking others?(i understand the irony here as i attacked you, i'm just saying....)
Super swede
RE: medecine 6/5/2003 6:26AM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Unfortunately I don't think that guy really knows exactly what he is talking about; or perhaps his school has different requirements, etc. As "D Bears" indicated in his 2 cents, a biology major and a chemistry minor certainly got me into med school. They like the fact that you ran track in college, etc. as well. I just don't want you to get some incorrect advice. I don't know who wrote it, but I also agree that you should do something that you enjoy. Money will not help you when you are operating on someone all night.
greg ward
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 6:40AM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Youngin' wrote:

Thank you very much Da Bears........but, with what you said, don't Med Schools have pretty strict entrance guidelines? Like "you must have taken this class, and this class, and such". It seems to me that pretty much any degree not related to biology or biochemistry or something would not allow you to gain entrance into Med School.

check some stats. for example, 32 of 86 first year med students at stanford (a top school) majored in something other than a science.

if you're good enough at the MCAT, your GPA is high enough, and you fulfill all course requirements, you could major in just about anything and be considered/admitted to med school. in fact, some schools, in the profile they provided to princeton reviews admissions guide, ASK for well-rounded students and encourage applicants from all majors.

http://www.med.stanford.edu/osa/admissions/mdprogram/
Youngin'
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 6:44AM - in reply to greg ward Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Oh cool, thanks man.

What are the typical "course requirements". It seems to me like it would be a lot of physics and math along with bio stuff. Am i right here? Just trying to get a good idea about it. Thanks for you help, i appreciate it.
greg ward
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 7:04AM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
for exact requirements for each school, visit their website. or consult princeton review's Medical School Admissions Guide; nearly every school's reqs are listed there.

in general, they are as follows:

1 year calculus or equivalent
1 year chem or equiv
1 year organic chem
1 year biology
1 year physics

nearly every school demands the associated lab for chem, orgo, phys, and bio.

some also require 1 year english.

a few recommend/highly recommend/suggest: genetics, biochemistry, statistics, maybe others.

but the main ones are: chem, orgo, bio, physics, math.

i have some of the reqs for specific schools; email me with a list of schools, and i'll send you the ones i have.

---------------------------------------------------------

as far as kines as a major goes, i would highly recommend against it if you are interested in medical school. i got my master's in kines at UT-austin; while there, i TAed a number of courses...they're a waste of time, they're watered down, and you'd be better off majoring in spanish and taking all the sciences as your electives (i know people who do this; dated a history major who did a 125page thesis on the american cancer society which helped her get in med school...well-rounded counts!). spanish is marketable to hospitals/schools.

at least at UT and the few other kines undergrad programs i know of (UGA as well), they're just not worth your time for medical school, because to take the MCAT, you want to learn the concepts you'll be tested on, and kines departments don't usually cover that.

that being said, kines grad programs are typically VERY demanding, so much so that they often (i was told this as i was recruited) avoid kines undergrads and go for science majors. the disparity is disheartening, as a former instructor.

good luck, email if you have questions.

greg
fx
RE: medecine 1/1/2005 1:01AM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Youngin' wrote:
Hey thanks for being a stupid f***, you stupid f***. I asked for civil replies, not namecalling and hostile posts. Honestly, some of the people on these boards are the most idiotic people i've ever come in contact with. A bunch of whiny anony-pussies. I commend you for posting your email addres, but you're no better than the rest of them. I was hoping there would be some decent, normal people here who would be willing to help out someone who needed it, and i see that some people have, but it's people like you who make me glad i'm not people like you.

has there ever been 1 topic on this board that led to a completely normal discussion without people attacking others?(

Definitly a youngin', a LetsRun.com virgin. No offense, you are exactly right. Everything on here seems to eventually (if not immediately) turn into a f*cked-up discussion. You're posts made me laugh because they are so true
BigMantis
RE: medecine 6/5/2003 7:30AM - in reply to fx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It seems that most people have replied about med school or the physical parts of kin. However, you did ask about science jobs, so I can give a little input. I am finishing my masters in ex. phys. with a heavy emphasis on biochemistry (undergrad degree was sports med/kin.). I will be going on to do my Ph.D. with more focus in the biochem area. My goal is to get into research dealing with muscle damage and supplementation among other things. You can certainly go this way after you get your Bachelor's. Ex. phys. would allow you to be something other than a personal trainer or equipment salesman. If you are really interested in the lab/science part of it, this is what I would suggest. The people who do the research for companies such as Gatorade are all ex. physiologists. The great thing about it is you can study stuff that is highly connected to athletics, or not at all. It all depends on your interest.
Iowan
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 7:39AM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I just graduated with a degree in exercise science. Its not the same as kinesiology, but they seem to be fairly similar. For comparison- Ex. Sci focuses on human anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics. It examines how the human body works as a systm while examining its components (ie systems and individual movements.) With my degree I am going to Physical Therapy school in the fall. I look forward to working with people to help them reach their physical goals of well being. There is a interesting article in the newest runners world about an ultramarathoner/physical therapist. The article only supports my notion that PT and running will go together well. I'd really look into Physical Therapy after undergrad.
luv2run
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 7:43AM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Get an advanced degree and work for the USOC, AIS or go for the Ph.D. and teach and do research.
Ex-
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 8:31AM - in reply to luv2run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The simple answer to your question is to go back to school and get an advanced degree in Kinesiology. With a BS, you can become a lab assistant for the MS & PhDs in the field, or compete with people that have a more well-rounded physiology degree. When I was considering Kenisiology as a career, Dr. Gordon Valiant from Nike advised me to plan to be in school 8-10 years to get a job like his, or get used to the idea of never having the really cool jobs.

When I was working as an Exercise Physiologist for a major health network, I was able to consult with some of our area's top CEO-types as a part of our corporate health program (keep the CEOs alive so they can continue to make money). What I realized from that is that my standard of living wasn't where I wanted it. I asked all of those guys what they did to reach the top of their field. If they didn't invent something, they went to business school. So I went to business school and got an MBA. Two years after that I was completely out of the fitness industry and working in media and advertising. I've been doing that ever since, and its a blast!

Even though I'm not in the fitness field any more, I can now pursue my own fitness in a way I couldn't before due to a lack of resources and time.
Greenliner
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 8:54AM - in reply to Ex- Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm a medical jounal editor and a good number of papers that I've published come from people working in kinesiology labs at some very good universities, ie. University of Calgary, University of Montreal. A lot of the authors have PhDs, however, so your BS in kinesiology is a means to an end. But the research these folk do is fascinating, looking at human performance labs and issue, gait laboratories, and so on.
Youngin'
RE: medecine 6/5/2003 9:16AM - in reply to BigMantis Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

BigMantis wrote:

It seems that most people have replied about med school or the physical parts of kin. However, you did ask about science jobs, so I can give a little input. I am finishing my masters in ex. phys. with a heavy emphasis on biochemistry (undergrad degree was sports med/kin.). I will be going on to do my Ph.D. with more focus in the biochem area. My goal is to get into research dealing with muscle damage and supplementation among other things. You can certainly go this way after you get your Bachelor's. Ex. phys. would allow you to be something other than a personal trainer or equipment salesman. If you are really interested in the lab/science part of it, this is what I would suggest. The people who do the research for companies such as Gatorade are all ex. physiologists. The great thing about it is you can study stuff that is highly connected to athletics, or not at all. It all depends on your interest.

This is pretty much what i think i'd like to do, the research aspect of it. I'm going to be in the Kinesiology major, but they have different "focus" areas, and the one i'm going to be focusing on is the more science-based stuff, like physiology and such.

And, yes, i plan on getting some sort of advanced degree. I've pretty much resolved myself to the fact that i'll need at least a Masters to get a decent job, probably.
a
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 1:45PM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
a
BigMantis
RE: medecine 6/5/2003 2:13PM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds like you are on the right track. Go do your undergrad. By the time you graduate you will have a good idea of what you want to concentrate on for your graduate degrees.
mph
RE: medecine 6/5/2003 2:22PM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Youngin'- I recently completed my PhD in ex phys and am now working as a post-doc. I highly recommend getting your undergrad degree in a biochem related area as any science discipline can lead you to ex phys, however a BS and worse, MS in ex phys pigeon holes you into getting a PhD OR working a less than fulfilling job. If you are genuinely interested in science then study 'real' science and apply that to sport/running. However, if you have delusions that you are going to be a scientist and study running then allow me to impress upon you how difficult that will be. There is no money in it and american athletes are resistant to science. If that's your passion, get in early, contact Jack Daniels or the Nike group and intern and let them groom you. Good luck.
dirk
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 2:46PM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
First of all if you take kinesiology you will then have an option to get into physiotherapy.
dirk
RE: What can you realistically do with a KINESIOLOGY degree?? 6/5/2003 2:47PM - in reply to Youngin' Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
First of all if you get your kinesiology degree you will then have the option to go into physiotherapy. But you are a loser.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |