plug
bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/20/2006 12:59PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I just started my summer training a few days ago (very lightly I might add) and I somehow appear to be injured already, although I'm not sure how seriously. I have this bump and pain at the top of the middle of my shin, the very center about 1-2" below the bottom of my kneecap. Anyone have this before, or could tell me what it is and could tell me if it should be going away anytime soon??
answer
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/20/2006 1:41PM - in reply to plug Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I forgot what the offical name is for the condition but its only a calcium deposit and although it may cause some temporary pain there is no long term risk. You could still do your normal training but like every other injury make sure you ice. If you find that there is a considerable amount of pain after running on it for a few days then take a week off. It's still early summer no need to be injured right now.

Best of luck
brogan1
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/20/2006 1:53PM - in reply to plug Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This same thing happened to me two summers ago. I was fine the whole outdoor season, took my two weeks off, then when lightly building back up it hurt in that same spot. I went to the doctors and he gave me anti-inflammitories, stretches, and strengthening exercises. I was also told to ice after my runs. I'm not sure if all of this helped or if it was just one of these things, but I was better in about a week.
PT-1
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/20/2006 2:32PM - in reply to plug Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The bump 1-2" below the knee cap is the
tibial tuberosity. The patellar tendon
inserts onto it. It can become inflammed
especially if your still growing or over
training. It sounds like Osgood's Schlatter
(sp?) but you should see an MD. Rest, ice
and whatever pain reliever works for you should
do the trick.
Good luck!
House, MD
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/20/2006 2:40PM - in reply to plug Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Osgood Schlatter's disease.
middle distance runner
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/21/2006 2:58AM - in reply to House, MD Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
how long does it take to go?
bobby mcgee
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/21/2006 9:39AM - in reply to middle distance runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Its a result of rapid growth and muscles/tendons pulling on the kneecap. A lot of young runners go through this. I don't remember having to take too much time off. Just make sure you ice and stretch a lot.
Doc Obvious!
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/21/2006 11:19AM - in reply to PT-1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Jesus, you guys are stupid.

It is called patellar tendonitis.
answer
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/21/2006 12:59PM - in reply to Doc Obvious! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
wow you are a jack@ss, patellar tendonitis is not the bump he is talking about. Patellar tendonitis is the inflammation of the patellar tendon not a bump.jack@ss
Doc Jackass
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/21/2006 5:32PM - in reply to answer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"answer"

Doc Obvious is right on the money.

Signs and Symptoms>br>
There may be pain, swelling, tenderness, redness over the patellar tendon (more commonly below the kneecap) or at the tibial tubercle (bump on the bone below the knee cap.) Pain and maybe loss of strength may accompany moving the knee, such as forcefully straightening it especially when jumping, hard running or when rising from a seated squatting or kneeling position.
THE COOLEST KID ON THE BLOCK
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 5/21/2006 6:24PM - in reply to Doc Jackass Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
tendonitis! almost every runner gets it some time or another..just ice before and after every run..and all day basically..i get it about once a season and just run throu it and ice..you'll be ok!
what the hell is this
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 8/13/2006 1:46PM - in reply to THE COOLEST KID ON THE BLOCK Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have experienced pain on the bone where the tibia inserts right below the knee- but not on the medial side- my pain is on the bone that is close to the side of the leg. It feels like a deep bruise. I had it a few weeks ago and ran through it and it went away but now it is back and it hurts to run on. I don't think its a stress fracture of the tibia though because my symptoms differ. The bone is a little swollen and there is some bruising color too. COuld this be tibial tuberosity tendinitis? It hurts especially going downstairs or when I flex my quad. Anyone know?
what the hell is this
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 8/13/2006 2:55PM - in reply to what the hell is this Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
please can someone give me some help... its driving me crazy. I've searched google for hours and nothing matches
anti jackass
RE: bump/pain at top of shin/under knee, what the hell is this 7/22/2014 2:01AM - in reply to Doc Obvious! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
do you speak Coast Salish, No!, Gee you must be stupid!
I have three university degrees, I have been running since the age of ten and did not know the name of this problem, perhaps because I have never had it.
You think knowing the name of one medical condition qualifies you to call people stupid? What happened to you to make you such a bitter idiot?