Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Seth Lewis
How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 1:21PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In his preface to 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Arthur Clarke writes that 100 billion humans have walked the planet, that for every man alive, there stand behind him 30 ghosts, and that such a number corresponds to the estimated number of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy, providing each man "his or her own heaven or hell." The literature aside, do you think such a figure of 100 BILLION is legit?
Homo Erectus
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 1:31PM - in reply to Seth Lewis Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Depends when you consider when we became "Human".
R.L. Scribner
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 1:32PM - in reply to Homo Erectus Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Homo Erectus wrote:

I would say in the 1930s or so.
Seth Lewis
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 1:37PM - in reply to R.L. Scribner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Let's say since we walked upright.
Louie, Dewey, and Hugh Heffner
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 1:41PM - in reply to R.L. Scribner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would say that there have been 96,100,000,000 humans to have lived on Earth. There are currently 6,513,047,982 humans and three Barry Bonds. So the 96B is more accurate.
statistical guy
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 1:42PM - in reply to Seth Lewis Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It matters very little when you start considering people humans. Before the first agricultural revolution around 9000 BC there were very few human beings. Even after that the numbers aren't very significant until the second agricultural revolution and commercial revolution that occurred in the late 17th-early 18th century.
Flagpole Willy
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 1:45PM - in reply to Homo Erectus Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Homo Erectus wrote:

That's easy -- when God made humans.

Ah...just kidding. I'm a Christian who believes in evolution. If this spurs a big discussion, I'm likely to not be involved. Just not interested in arguing my stance on this one.
hrehger
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 1:46PM - in reply to Flagpole Willy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
~60 billion (american version of billion).
rfdfdfdf
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 1:46PM - in reply to Flagpole Willy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
One(very schizophrenic person).
The Quibbler
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 2:50PM - in reply to Seth Lewis Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
All of them.
Fredd
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 2:52PM - in reply to The Quibbler Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A real lot.
wineturtle
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 3:43PM - in reply to Fredd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
DK/NS where I read it but at the begining of the Christian Era 'they' said there were about 200 million people on the Earth.
Homo sapiens sapiens are what I'd use as the starting point for "human" for this exercise say half a million years ago or about 30,000 generations.
MarathonMind
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 3:57PM - in reply to Louie, Dewey, and Hugh Heffner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have one answer and you are very close. How did you figure that?
sir laughs alot
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 10:57PM - in reply to MarathonMind Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
couldnt a simple reverse logarithm determine this pretty acurately using a time/growth cruve thingamajiggie?

did anyone see that big ass robotic claw today on MIT's front lawn? they were moving it with controls. i laughed my ass off.
hit the players club...
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/18/2006 11:13PM - in reply to sir laughs alot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
f***, i dont even have a good guess now that i started thinking about it... 75-100 billion. for some odd hunch, i'm thinking that might be too high... ah shit, i just have no clue.

...for about a month or 2
Larz
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/19/2006 12:56AM - in reply to Seth Lewis Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't know, but that's a damn good question.

Let's see...there are about 6 billion people on Earth right now. Is it reasonable to assume there were roughly another 94 billion people to have walked the planet in the whole of human history? Going back 100,000 years or so, I think it is reasonable, even though there were obviously much fewer people at any given time. Of course, you could tell me 50 billion and that would sound reasonable enough too.
Brit runner
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/19/2006 1:35AM - in reply to Seth Lewis Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Has the insomnia hit again Seth Lewis? try counting sheep
limey
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/19/2006 2:05AM - in reply to Larz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Larz wrote:

I don't know, but that's a damn good question.

Let's see...there are about 6 billion people on Earth right now. Is it reasonable to assume there were roughly another 94 billion people to have walked the planet in the whole of human history? Going back 100,000 years or so, I think it is reasonable, even though there were obviously much fewer people at any given time. Of course, you could tell me 50 billion and that would sound reasonable enough too.

You have no idea.
When I was born in the middle thirties, the total world population was estimated at 2.5 billion.
So it had taken all that time since man first walked on earth to reach that figure.
Incidentally, at the time of the birth of Jesus AD 0 the world population was about 300 million and it only reached 1 billion in about 1804.
So, in the comparatively short time Iíve lived on earth - despite wars, famine, AIDS etc. - the population figure has exploded to 6.5 billion and is expected to rise to about 9 billion by 2050.
Iím not a mathematician, but Iíve seen it written that there are more people walking on Earth right now than the total number that have lived on this planet up to this point.
76 million are added to the population each year and that number must increase year by year.
Quite frankly the future is scary.
China has 1.3 billion right now, but India is expected to jump ahead of China in 2030 with 1.5 billion.
Suppose all these people demanded the same living conditions and use of the earthís resources as the average American has these days?
By 2050, at this current rate of economic expansion we will need about the equivalent of four earth size planets to service mankind.
Bish Bosh
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/19/2006 2:13AM - in reply to limey Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
except of course that all the population increases are occusring in the 'developing' world. The birth rate in pretty much every western society has fallen below replacement levels and the UN predicts absolute population levels will peak by the end of this century. The population in China will eventually start falling once it's economic growth really kicks in. Richer societies have fewer children then poorer societies and even within each society the richer you are the fewer offspring you produce - the way to eliminate population growth is to eliminate poverty (which is contrary to what many people believe).
track chick
RE: How Many Humans Have Lived On Earth Since the Dawn of Time? 5/19/2006 5:30AM - in reply to Bish Bosh Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i find this the scariest bit "that for every man alive, there stand behind him 30 ghosts"

seems very, very low.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |