Pages: | 1 | 2 |
milrunner
Kid mile time 5/6/2006 10:15PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My 6yr old just ran a 8:05 mile on the track. I think that's fast but don't really know. Anyone have any experience with kids and times?
Cyg
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 12:43AM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
8:05 is very fast for most 6 year olds, yes.
redmeansdead
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 6:26AM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah that's pretty damn good for a 6 year old. I don't know if you are new to running or not, but it would be wise for you to NOT start training your kid to be a runner this early. He'll develop too fast, burnout, and end up being a flop. But with that kind of natural talent, if you let him develop like a normal kid and then let him start "training" in 8th or 9th grade, he might end up being a pretty good runner.
Kids Parent
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 9:16AM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes that is very good.

My wife and I were both collegiate distance runners and our kids have good gentics for running.

My 5 year old boy just ran a 8:25 for a mile off of one mile jog once a week.

My 9 year old daughter is down in the low 23's for 5k and she does this off of 3 miles 5 days per week with her mother.

The key, we believe, is to keep them in low key, no pressure events such as road races where there are tons of people faster and slower than them and let them just enjoy running. They gain the experience of being in a race environment without feeling the pressure.

My wife and daughter treasure their runs together. They talk and bond. It's their quality time without Dad or other siblings around.

Enjoy the journey.
les deluge
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 9:59AM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My 8 year old brother ran a 6:29 mile on the track a few months ago. He's a crazy man, he's always outside biking or swimming or just running around. But he plays soccer, baseball, and basketball, so it's going to be tough to persuade him to do track now.
Steve I.
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 10:33AM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't worry about training at that age. However, incorporate running games and introduce the fun, healthy aspects of running. Make sure that kids understand the value of health and fun above anything else.
Little Timmy
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 11:45AM - in reply to Steve I. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 7 years old and I ran a 5:40 mile.
Wetmore
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 12:52PM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Threshold runs and 2adays ASAP. Some 5K road races every weekend and a stint of altitude training.
Mind Runner
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 1:34PM - in reply to Kids Parent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey Kid's parent, my 3 older kids also like to run with me every now and then for the same reason your daughter likes to run with your wife. My 10 year old shares a lot more with me on those 2 miles about what she is thinking then any other time of day.
traveling bum
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 1:42PM - in reply to Mind Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
what about a 7:01 mile for a 12yr old girl with no training? how does that measure up comparatively?
notakicker
RE: Kid mile time 5/7/2006 1:47PM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I used to coach 7th and 8th grade track. You all are posting very fast times for kids. Although I don't believe little Timmy ran 5:40. My reason for posting is to warn parents against excessive mileage for growing children, only because of the concerns regarding bone health. I did a research study on the bone health of child athletes of various sports. Distance runners and gymnasts showed very poor bone density in their hips and spines. Young children should probably stick to running in natural settings, ie the playground and stay away from structured events like track meets and races until middle school age.
Rosalindo
RE: Kid mile time 5/19/2006 9:53PM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your kid is the bomb!!! natural born runner i love him can i marry him or her im a lesbian!! well bisexual!!!
BLCH
RE: Kid mile time 5/19/2006 11:40PM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My 6 year old ran 9:03 for the mile .... at altitude. In 12 years .. Bring it on!!!

Seriously, I think our kids are runnig darn good times. I broke 6 minutes for the mile when I was nine, and ended up being a HS and College All-American. I ran hard when I was young, but I think the key was I took a break from running in 6th and 7th grade. When HS came, I never got burnt out like soooooo many others.

Run your kids somewhat hard when they are young, but take a 12 to 24 month break before HS. You will be amazed at the results!
Adam Locked
RE: Kid mile time 5/19/2006 11:45PM - in reply to notakicker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My little brother is 11 yrs old and ran a 7:55 (no training ofcourse) just to give yall a comparison. I think he's mildly talented both me and my dad are runners.
fazu
RE: Kid mile time 5/20/2006 1:25AM - in reply to Adam Locked Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i ran a 20:16-5k and a 43:28-10k even managed a 2:06 half marathon as a 9yr 3rd grader. the 5k could have been short but i ran others close to that as well. the 10k was at azeala trail and i prob lost a min+ by being buried far from the start.

we were running 3-5days a week but it was only 2-5miles easy most days. other days we would play tag and things like that. i got sick of it in 5th grade and quit. that re-energized me in middle school when i joined track.

went on to be a 800m state champ and run D1
meichenl
RE: Kid mile time 5/20/2006 4:34AM - in reply to fazu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the earliest time i remember is a 7:36 mile from 3rd grade, so probably 9 years old, maybe 8. that was the best time for a kid in my grade in the elementary school that year, out of about 50 boys. i think i was playing baseball, running around during recess, etc., but no regular running program.

i didn't improve that time until gym class again, as a high school junior, but i pr'd by 1:49
Fitter Happier
RE: Kid mile time 5/20/2006 7:57AM - in reply to milrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When I was 12 I ran 5:05 mile in jr. high and a 28:50, 5 mile. I am sure I could have done similar 6 minute pace races and 5:00-ish mile times at age 10, or 11, but my only other timed races were some 10 and 13 milers with my Dad. I know I was doing training runs with my dad at 6-7 minute pace but don't have any earlier timed records. My fitness came from insane swim workouts twice a day, caddying on a golf course all summer long, and biking everywhere, everyday. My brother, 1 year older, was even faster than me, but was not interested in races. Two points:

1. The only reason I think I could beat all others my age, at the time (1970s), was I think there was nobody my age running like that. And yes, Dad had no clue that this was probably not good for me.

2. At that time, there was no shortage of guys slightly older 13-15 years old, who could run much faster.

I think if people put a clock to all the kids (6-10) out there playing soccer, swimming etc., we would see some similar times.
Dreamer
RE: Kid mile time 5/20/2006 8:11AM - in reply to redmeansdead Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why the concern with too much too soon?
We know that many of the African kids run huge mileages from very young ages.
Surely the concern with burn out is all to do with pressure, frequent racing and intense training? Not miles per se.
track chick
RE: Kid mile time 5/20/2006 8:21AM - in reply to Dreamer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
agreed - keep it relaxed.
Hope stark
RE: Kid mile time 7/21/2013 8:35AM - in reply to Cyg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My 9 year old ran a 5:47
Pages: | 1 | 2 |