Pages: | 1 | 2 |
23 year old
At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 1:29PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
just wondering what age range people normally experience some decline in their resiliance and their capacity to resist and recover from injury, etc. For me, it seems to be happening right now at 23. I'm definitely not as resiliant as I was at 16, when I could train carelessly and be just fine.
VO-2-Max-Man
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 1:34PM - in reply to 23 year old Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The older you get, the better you have to take care of yourself. This applies in all areas, including some (like nutrition) that might not have applied before.
ambassador orange
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 1:38PM - in reply to VO-2-Max-Man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is true - I eat the same and run about the same as I did in my teens and 20s and I put on about 20 pounds in the last 2 years. I wish I had started good eating habits when I was younger, now that I'm in my 30s sitting at a desk all day, it's not so easy to start eating healthy. Most young guys (like me) figuted I'd never get heavier, then all of sudden it hits you.
Carnivore 69
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 1:38PM - in reply to 23 year old Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cooter, M.D.
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 1:40PM - in reply to Carnivore 69 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Carnivore 69 wrote:

I think you're dead-on with that estimate, meat-eater. My experience exactly.
derej
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 1:41PM - in reply to 23 year old Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't know if you are talking about health or fitness, but my doctor told me this: "The warrenty lasts until 40; after that it is all maintenance on your part."
Bum
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 1:41PM - in reply to VO-2-Max-Man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 43, and have had several noticeable years where things changed and got tougher. Just to be clear, I've always stayed in shape, although I haven't been a runner through it all. I ran in HS, played soccer in college, cycled until my late 30's, then started doing triathlon.

I felt noticeable changes in my body 3 times, at 19, 28, and 41. At 19, I got noticably stronger, but noticed that my recovery wasn't what it was when I was 16 or 17 (I ran 70 a week all through HS). I know that may sound funny, but in my case it was true. The worst however was when I turned 28. Huge drop in recovery time with no increase in strength. From 28 till 41, I basically felt the same. At 41, something changed and again recovery time increased.

However, my strength is WAY up over what it was 20 years ago. I could have never done an ironman in my 20's, but at 40 something I can swim balls out for an hour, average almost 23 mph on a 112 ride, and still manage to run 7 something per mile for a marathon. No way I do that in my 20's. I'm also a lot smarter, and troubleshoot my injuries much quicker. I just wish I could recover from a hard WO in a day. Now it takes 3. Sucks.
yep....
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 1:47PM - in reply to 23 year old Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
23 and a half
runhrd
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 1:56PM - in reply to 23 year old Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Age is based on hard mileage.......

Sure, I only averaged 2000-2200 miles a year for about 20 years. But I ran a TON of races. I'm 42 and trashed.

I have friends who ran more (3000 +/- miles/year) but didn't race as much. They're still going strong..........

my $0.02

.....not much of an answer for ya........??
marijuologist
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 2:27PM - in reply to 23 year old Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
IMO it's a continuum. You're constantly getting older, albeit at a rate so slow you can't percieve it year-to-year. But when you hit 23 you realize you're older than you were at 16.
Top Cat
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 2:36PM - in reply to marijuologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 52 and at least some part hurts at all times unless I'm under the influence of something. It depends on genetics, diet, luck and attitude. When you first get the aches and pains you worry alot because you think it might be something serious. When you get really old you still worry but the pains you start to be able to tune out unless they are very excruciating, for example, back pain. The main thing is just keep on trucking, keep on keeping on, because after all what else are you going do?
LnL
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 2:37PM - in reply to runhrd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 47 and feel good. I started running at age 33 and did about 20 to 30 mpw for thr first 6 years, then took a year off. It took another year of slow running and then the last 5 have been about 60 to 70 mpw average with about 15 races a year. I continue to pr on some courses. I think the later in life you start, the later your body starts to break down. Less miles = less damage.
johnson, Mr.
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 2:44PM - in reply to 23 year old Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would vouch for about 36-38. Its when weird injuries occured that never happened before that, ie. achilles, knee, tendonitis all over.
Aches and Pains
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 2:53PM - in reply to 23 year old Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ages 41-43 for me. After two major injuries [and surgery] I really fell off after that. It was depressing. No more sub-40:00 10Ks for me anymore, 43:00 is the goal this year at age 51. I'm still out there, though.
Skuj
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 3:16PM - in reply to Aches and Pains Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran close to my PR's until 37. At 39, injuries and issues with tissues were happening a lot.

If you adapt and look after yourself, like Lopes and others clearly did, you can have a long career. But many do at 35 exactly what they did at 25, and they don't usually get away with it.
Orville Atkins
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 5:05PM - in reply to Skuj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Improved at the marathon from age 25 to 37. There is a drop off around 38, and then it gets steeper at 50 and, according to friends, it gets really steep about age 80.
sodbuster
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 7:43PM - in reply to Orville Atkins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
yeah, but after 50 there's that "mental" thing going on to... you know, your brain is always telling you to "...take it easy - you don't need to be doing this..." Least mine is. The mental impetus really lags after 50. That's why guys like Whitlock kind of wake me up - least for a day or so...
My Take
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 8:29PM - in reply to sodbuster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Age 40 for me. The decline, combined with illnesses and injuries, happened in about a year. I'm 48 now and still can't believe what happened.
Bum
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 8:33PM - in reply to My Take Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Had my first big injury at 41, and it knocked me back at least 2 years. Just finally got over the hump this year. Finally setting some PRs (modern day, I won't compare to my HS times when I was 25 pounds less at the same height and nearly the same body fat).
Dr. Blackjack
RE: At what age does your body start to fall apart? 5/1/2006 9:41PM - in reply to Carnivore 69 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Another vote for 36
Pages: | 1 | 2 |