Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Monkey-Wrench Gang
How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/26/2006 8:04PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
An application I am filling out asks, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime in a court of law?" Then: "If so, explain:"

How do I reply to this? If I say yes, my application is going to immediately rejected. If I say no, I am lying. Will they find out? It isn't like I am a felon, just misdemeanors. Do they actually want to know about misdemeanors? I mean, hell, if you got a speeding ticket you would have to cop to it.
CO-Runner
RE: Where do strippers hang out when they are not working? 3/26/2006 8:28PM - in reply to Monkey-Wrench Gang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Best to list it, if you want the job.

Where I work, the HR dept does very thorough background searches. The can dig up just about anything in < 30 minutes.
investigator
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/26/2006 8:34PM - in reply to Monkey-Wrench Gang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You'll always do better if you tell the truth than if they find out you're lying.

We go after people who lie on their applications.
some chick
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/26/2006 8:35PM - in reply to Monkey-Wrench Gang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
And even better, if you get hired and then caught, you're really f***ed.
trhamon
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/26/2006 8:35PM - in reply to Monkey-Wrench Gang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, put it down. If you lie on a job application, it can be grounds for immediate termination at any point when they discover it. Best to start off with the truth rather than fear they will discover it.
not that it matters...
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/26/2006 9:26PM - in reply to Monkey-Wrench Gang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Tell the truth... own up to the crime, describe the situation in detail if provided the space. I've worked in HR for over 10 years and have hired lots of people who have "minor" offenses... DUI, etc. But we will not hire anyone who lies on the application.
Well...
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/26/2006 10:11PM - in reply to Monkey-Wrench Gang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you choose to break the law, at least have the balls to take responsibility for it. If they don't want to employ criminals, that is their right. You would probably feel wronged if the employer lied to you about some matter of the terms of your employment. As for your speeding ticket reference, generally speeding tickets are issued by cops, not judges, so a speeding ticket would not fall under the category of being convicted of a crime in a court of law.
skinny runner dude
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/26/2006 10:18PM - in reply to Well... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I thought most applications said if you've been convicted of a felony. I would check the wording first. If it says felony only put down if you're a convicted felon. If all you have is trafic violations though, and it only says felony, then don't bother with it. But if it says have you ever been convicted of a crime, then its debatable. I'd still put down everything just to be safe. Unless your a pizza delivery boy I don't think they'll mind too much if you say you got a speeding ticket when you were 16.
Snowbear
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/26/2006 10:31PM - in reply to skinny runner dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am not sure a speeding ticket is a felony or misdemeanor. And I think simply paying it does not constitute a conviction - no contest maybe? In some places it is a fuel conservation violation, not a moving violation.

One possible answer you might give is "I have never been tried or convicted of any felony in any court of law." It might not answer the question but it is a true statement. Unless they are asking for yes or no, then you are screwed.

This reminds me of the scene from Stripes when Bill Murray and Harold Ramis are being questioned by the recruiter.

Recruiter: "Have you ever been convicted of any crimes?"

Bill Murray: "Convicted? No, not convicted."
Monkey Wrench Gang
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/27/2006 8:18PM - in reply to Snowbear Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I should mention, this is for a 12 week summer job with a government agency that pays $7/hr. Is it likely they will do a check? The crime in question is Tampering with a Motor Vehicle.
gorney
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/27/2006 10:17PM - in reply to Monkey Wrench Gang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Monkey Wrench Gang wrote:

I should mention, this is for a 12 week summer job with a government agency that pays $7/hr. Is it likely they will do a check? The crime in question is Tampering with a Motor Vehicle.

We all do stupid shit sometimes. If you present your case with that as your foundation, if you get turned down, you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyways.
jlew
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/9/2008 1:07PM - in reply to Monkey-Wrench Gang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have noticed a lot of replies that are simply opinions and a split between whether to answer yes or no.

Opinion is not fact so is there anyone out there who can actually come up with a LEGAL answer to this question?

Generally speaking, if you lie and say NO on an application and they find out, it can be grounds for immediate termination or denial of the application (which is usually the case).

Most of the time, an employer will not look at the circumstances of the conviction or the reason the person may have had to commit it. All they see is "Convicted" and "Felony" and the application goes in the trash or to the bottom of the pile.

On the other hand, if you answer YES, it is usually the personal opinion of the employer that you would possibly do something illegal on the job and therefore, your application is refused or trashed anyway.

If you try to say they "Discriminated" based on the employer not hiring you because of being a felon, they can get around that by making up a legitimate "Story" that you were under qualified, over qualified, or for some other reason.

Personally, I feel that this question on an application is a form of discrimination and really should be "Job Specific":
Example:
For a job involving handling money = Have you ever been convicted of a felony crime of fraud, theft, embezzlement, etc.?
For a job involving handling medication such as a clinic or pharmacy = Have you ever been convicted of a felony crime related to drugs, drug use, trafficking, etc.?

Lets say for example you have a conviction of Burglary. Burglary can be as simple as just going into a house uninvited to actually stealing things from it. A crime of that nature does not prove an inability to perform as a carpenter or laborer.
Lets say you killed someone in self defense and they convicted you of Involuntary Manslaughter. You had legitimate reason to defend yourself but all they see is that you killed someone and they are now in fear of you.

This is a very touchy thing and laws should be made that make this question only required for the position you are being hired for and Job Specific.

Having a felony conviction of any kind, as it stands, is a MAJOR setback to finding a job.

The old saying goes: "If you do the crime, you do the time" and once you have paid for it and have been rehabilitated, you still face having to "Pay" for it for the rest of your life...
And THAT, my friends is WRONG in a Country that claims it believs in "Equal Opportunity" and "Equal Rights"
sterling rathsack
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/9/2008 2:00PM - in reply to jlew Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Where I work we run criminal background checks. If someone discloses something, it is not grounds to not hire them...we've had people with DUI's, etc, get cleared from HR. If someone doesn't disclose it, we follow up as to why they didn't disclose, and they are often still approved by HR but it is up to us whether or not to hire. Essentially, it is better to disclose.
jorvack
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/9/2008 4:36PM - in reply to sterling rathsack Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would disclose it. There will be other opportunities to make $7 an hour. Like anywhere.
chuck d
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 3/9/2008 5:35PM - in reply to jorvack Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

jorvack wrote:

I would disclose it. There will be other opportunities to make $7 an hour. Like anywhere.

great advice. it's just two years too late.
Lauren Donnetti
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 7/1/2009 7:21AM - in reply to Monkey-Wrench Gang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was convicted of selling drugs, and did some years in a goverment facility. That was some 15 years ago. Since my release. I've married, and have 2 children. I have been an electrical tech for the past 14 years, and my company went out of business Oct 17 of 08. When i see the question. Have you ever been convicted of a felony on an application. I feel
ill. I know i'm not getting a job. I fill it out any though, and always answer it with yes. I still unemployed, and i'm wondering when will i see some justice. I payed for my crime with years of my life wasted. When will it be over?
that stinks
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 7/1/2009 7:43AM - in reply to Lauren Donnetti Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That really stinks. We all do stupid crap when we're younger and it sucks that you'll get judged later even though you've done your time and changed your life. Good luck man.
Brad ONeil - SR - Coe College
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 7/1/2009 7:48AM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

goitrogen wrote:

What's with all these recent threads about felonies, crimes, etc.? Are there really that many ex-con runners out there?

Yes. A lot of stupid sh*t is illegal for no logical reason.
Bill CIinton
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 7/1/2009 8:25AM - in reply to Brad ONeil - SR - Coe College Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just lie and deny. It will all work out.
Policy of Truth
RE: How to reply to "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" on a job application? 7/1/2009 10:13AM - in reply to Bill CIinton Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hide what you have to hide, tell what you have to tell.

You'll see your problems multiply
If you continually decide
To faithfully pursue....
The Policy of Truth
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |