breyers182
trails in Fairfield County, CT 3/11/2006 12:43PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Where are some of the best trails to run, preferably flat. I already know about many but they are too short and hilly. I also already know about Waveny.
breyers182
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 3/11/2006 1:55PM - in reply to breyers182 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
ghost racers
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 3/11/2006 2:11PM - in reply to breyers182 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
where are you located?

theres not much from what I know and i've spent a considerable amount of time looking.

there is a 10 mile or so trailhead you can acess in Monroe and in Trumbull.

Heading North on the Merrit get off the mall exit (48 i think, you'll see signs for the mall), go left off the exit and then take your first right at the traffic light (you should pass a fire station right after taking this right). Follow this street all the way to the end and take a right down a hill (I think this is called Church Street). Follow this with a pretty quick left on to a small road (should be a sign for no outlet). Park and walk/jog like 100 feet to the trail head, can't miss it. Its out and back and a little over 2.6 miles i think for the one trail I always run. You can go up to 10 miles out but it involves some linking to other sections by running on the street and a few turns and I have only ran that once with a friend who knew the way. Sorry but your on your own for the full 10 miles. I live in Fairfield and can drive to the place from my house in 10-15 minutes tops.

If you can link up the whole 10 miles its a pretty cool run and not just this straight boring trail head like it appears to be, there are some rockier off road sections and a cool section around a lack up in Monroe. Supposively there a markers every half mile, but i don't really pay attention.

http://www.hitekracing.com will take you to some good resources for other trails, but if you know of waveny park / maybe the wilton park im afraid thats about it. Power to you if you find more and share the wealth.
ghost racers
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 3/11/2006 2:16PM - in reply to ghost racers Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
that link i posted above can give you directions to the monroe location of this particular trailhead. Either search the messageboard or leave a post. Apparently alot of people meet in the monoroe location Sundays at like 8-8:30, but im not sure.
ray
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 3/13/2006 7:05AM - in reply to ghost racers Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Haven't been in there in about 6 years, but the Trumbull run (Railroad Bed) listed above can easily be stretched to 10-12 miles. Follow the bed from the Churchill Rd. entrance listed above. After a mile and a half it will cross whitney Ave, stay on the bed/trail until you go under Rt. 25 and into the Old tungsten Mine Park. Head across the bridge on your right and up the hill. Keep to the left and it will circle the mines up in the hills and bring you back to the bridge. Head back along the bed/trail to Whitney Ave. Take a left on Whitney and head up the hill. there will be an acess to the blue trail on your right. If you miss it, continue on to Indian Ledge Park. There is another acess to the trail on your right just behind the sprinklers/kiddie park. These trails lead you back to trumbull Center on the opposite side of the river. Follow until you hit Daniels Farm Rd. Take a right to head back to your car. I did a lot of running in there in the 60's-90's.

You can also try the reservoir property. Follow Madison ave to Seeley Rd. in Trumbull. At teh end of Seeley is a beautiful trail that will bring you all the way out to Tashua Rd./Velvet St. Don't get caught!! I used to ell the res people I was doing deer surveys for school.
Tiny Montgomery
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 3/13/2006 7:27AM - in reply to ray Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Mianus River State Park is a true wilderness area with trails straddling the Greenwich/Stamford line. The most spectacular place in the county to run trails is Huntington State Park in Redding, near Bethel. It's off the beaten track, but that's what you're looking for.
jpgarland
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 3/13/2006 8:58AM - in reply to Tiny Montgomery Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here's an older thread:
yctrack
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 3/13/2006 11:43AM - in reply to jpgarland Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bennett's Pond trail system/ Hemlock Hills and Pine Mtn in Ridgefield. You can get lots of miles there and it is very quiet. I only discovered it in August. A parking area is about 3/4 of a mile off on Rt 7 after turning onto Bennett's Farm Rd.
Here's a map of the Benett's Pond trail system.
http://www.rosaopenspace.org/news/Trail_map.pdf

The Hemlock hills and pine mtn trail systems connect to this piece and you can find those maps also on that site.
jpgarland
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 3/13/2006 1:55PM - in reply to yctrack Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the Bennett's Pond tip. Here's a discussion of it
nikonian
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 1/7/2008 4:17PM - in reply to jpgarland Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not in Fairfield county, but just over the boarder in NY state. It's off of 35 and I often run there from Ridgefield, CT. Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. Many miles of of very well marked, beautiful trails.

Map. http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/parks/pdfs/Maps/WardPoundRidge07.pdf
nikonian
RE: trails in Fairfield County, CT 1/7/2008 4:17PM - in reply to jpgarland Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not in Fairfield county, but just over the boarder in NY state. It's off of 35 and I often run there from Ridgefield, CT. Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. Many miles of very well marked, beautiful trails.

Map. http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/parks/pdfs/Maps/WardPoundRidge07.pdf