tlew
Hip popping out of socket 3/5/2006 6:42PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
For the past few years or so, I have noticed that I can hear and feel my femur occasionally popping out of my hip socket. I will be sitting or doing something randomly and move in a different way and feel the ball come out of the socket. It isn't painful, just a mere nuisance. It hasn't seemed to affect my running at all, but I was wondering if there are other people with this problem and/or if this actually will affect my running.

Thanks
laneofhighhopes
RE: Hip popping out of socket 3/5/2006 7:07PM - in reply to tlew Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have the same problem as well. Mine has just started recently, having just had my first hip injury (hip flexor problem). I thought it was borhtering me, but it doesnt seem to anymore. The only thing im worreid about is that i cant do plyometric stuff anymore such as walking over numerous hurdles in a row and such cuz my hip would pop going over each one.
its good to kno im not the only one out there with this problem. and that it doesnt bother you when you run, another plus for me.ihope i dont have problems either.
jayruns
RE: Hip popping out of socket 3/5/2006 7:40PM - in reply to tlew Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i doubt if your hip is actually dislocating out of its socket. hip dislocations are generally caused by a fairly major trauma (unless you have a prior hip replacement), are extremely painful, and unlike some shoulder dislocations usually don't pop in and out easily. more likely you have some tightness in one of your hip muscles or tendons that is rubbing over the joint and is causing the popping sensation.

this might be something that some PT or ART might help.
Goulet
RE: Hip popping out of socket 3/5/2006 9:51PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
this just happened to me about a half hour ago. it isnt painful for you?
Erbli
RE: Hip popping out of socket 3/5/2006 11:16PM - in reply to tlew Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Kidlets, if your hip pops out of its socket, you are not going to be sitting at the ol' keyboard asking about it. You will be way past discomfort, nuisance, or annoyance. You will be in pain.

Get an anatomy book, maybe read a bit...

http://www.dynomed.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/hip_and_thigh/Dislocation_of_the_Hip.html

http://www.swedish.org/14354.cfm
dr. b
RE: Hip popping out of socket 3/5/2006 11:41PM - in reply to tlew Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had the same problem. Its just your hip muscles rubbing against each other. Just find some hip strengthening exercises to do and u should be fine.
10K Runner
RE: Hip popping out of socket 3/6/2006 7:33AM - in reply to dr. b Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dr. b wrote:

I had the same problem. Its just your hip muscles rubbing against each other. Just find some hip strengthening exercises to do and u should be fine.

I second this....I used to have that annoying hip pop (it sounded like it would be really painful but it wasn't). I started strengthening with squats and lunges and I never hear it anymore.
luv2sprint
RE: Hip popping out of socket 4/8/2011 5:12PM - in reply to 10K Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I can make my hips pop out of socket. It only hurts if I do it a lot (i try not to do it much though) but I don't hear any poping noise. I can even see it and when I show people it groses them out. The poping out of place thing has never realy given me trouble while running. But I have had a more serious hip problem it caused me to have to quit track last year. :(