sore
Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/21/2006 6:04PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I just started feeling this yesterday. It only hurts in my upper leg area when I put all my weight on that leg or when I cross my legs and do a hip stretch (pushing my pelvis forward to a degree). Does anyone know what this could be? I know my description is a bit vague but the pain isn't really centrally located. Anything I can do to get rid of the pain? I took off running today and used both heat and ice on the area. Any advice is appreciated.
RIPT
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/21/2006 6:31PM - in reply to sore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It could be a number of things, but often difficulty with weight bearing can mean stress fracture...see a good orthopedist and get an MRI.
RIPT
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/21/2006 6:32PM - in reply to sore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It could be a number of things, but often difficulty with weight bearing can mean stress fracture...see a good orthopedist and get an MRI.
RIPT
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/21/2006 6:34PM - in reply to sore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Anytime you have difficulty weight bearing you need to consider stress fracture. I would see an orthopedist and get an MRI or bone scan to be sure.
RIPT
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/21/2006 6:35PM - in reply to sore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Anytime you have difficulty weight bearing you need to consider stress fracture. I would see an orthopedist and get an MRI or bone scan to be sure.
sore
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/21/2006 8:02PM - in reply to RIPT Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I mean it the sort of thing that doesn't hurt at this point while running but more after just standing on one leg for a period of time. Like I can still support myself and even do one legged knee bends with no pain. Can that still be stress fracture? And do stress fractures happen that suddenly? If you catch a stress fracture very early can it be healed fairly quickly?
also
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/21/2006 8:55PM - in reply to sore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't necessarily jump to the conclusion that it is a stress fx. While that is a possibility, it isn't the only one. I've had issues with groin strains. With that, oftne times just putting weight on the leg would cause pain in my upper leg. (My upper leg in general and specifically on the inside.)
sore
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/21/2006 9:02PM - in reply to also Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for your reply. Right now, I don't feel any pain on the inside but just generally in the upper leg with weight-bearing. I've had some experience with groin strains in the past (in the other leg). I'm just hoping I strained some muscles in there that can heal with a little rest. Should I use heat or ice in this situation?
RIPT
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/21/2006 9:11PM - in reply to sore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Definitely dont jump to the conclusion that its a fracture, but definitely dont discount the idea either. Its one of those things that you should consider getting checked out. At this point i would still ice it. You're looking to get rid of inflammation in the area. I'd do gentle hip stretches and ice it.
Femur Fracture
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/22/2006 11:02AM - in reply to sore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had a stress fracture in the femur in college and the pain was hard to describe. It felt like the muscle was weak when I tried to plant it while running; almost like it was going to give out. They originally diagnosed it as a quad strain and had me doing leg press and leg extenstions to strengthen it. This didn't help and I got a bone scan and verified the fracture. I had to take about 3 months off with no running and even to this day, I feel it if my mileage gets above 45 or so. Hope this helps.
sore
RE: Pain in upper leg area when put my weight on it 2/22/2006 11:23AM - in reply to Femur Fracture Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for your reply. I guess at this point I am just really hoping it is not a stress fracture (femur perhaps) because it seems that the rehab from such an injury would be very extensive.