runner4higher
bone spur surgery recovery time 2/1/2006 7:53AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey, I have a painful bone spur where my left big toe connects to my left foot. I've tried PT and cortisone and neither worked. I'm having surgery to remove the spur in a few weeks. I was wondering what the recovery time is like for this sort of operation. Thanks for the advice.
CO-Runner
RE: bone spur surgery recovery time 2/1/2006 8:02AM - in reply to runner4higher Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cheilectomy?
CO-Runner
RE: bone spur surgery recovery time 2/1/2006 9:46AM - in reply to runner4higher Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If they don't have to do too much work other than removing the spur, your recovery time shouldn't be too long. Obviously, there will be an inceision and stitches which will come out after ~2 weeks - so you can't do much until then. Again, you could probably start being more mobile and start to think again about running after ~3 weeks. All of this really depends too on the amount of swelling that occurs too ... another thing, if your doc says that it is OK to run afer 3 weeks or so, you might need to use something to keep your shoe from rubbing against the spot where the incision was made. Regarding swelling, some people have virtually none, others have a much more difficult time.

If they have to do more work, clean the joint, resection, etc - plan on a much longer recovery time. I can tell you all about that. ;-)
runner4higher
RE: bone spur surgery recovery time 2/1/2006 1:24PM - in reply to CO-Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
hey, thanks a lot for the advice. I really do appreciate it. I will make sure to talk to the Surgeon and my Dr. about the things you mentioned. Thanks again
runner4higher
RE: bone spur surgery recovery time 2/1/2006 1:28PM - in reply to runner4higher Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
also, if you dont' mind me asking, how long did your recovery take? Was your spur located where the big toe connects to the foot? Just wondering because the joints that actually connect my toe to the foot make all these nasty little crunching and clicking sounds. Thanks