dude this hurts
Pain in the inner thigh 1/26/2006 8:54PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
hey im just wondering if theres any chance someone is familiar with this and has any suggestions...

For about the last week and a half I been experiencing a sharp pain every time I take a step (running of walking) on my inner, upper thigh right below the groin

it hurst really bad in the morning, then warms up through out the day as I walk on it

I ignored it for the first few days then started using a heating pad before each run and icing afterwards. which does seem to help

its not unbearable and I can still run and workout on it but I'm worried it will start to get worse

just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and has some suggestions for some strength balancing exercizes or something

thanks...
humidxc
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 1/26/2006 8:57PM - in reply to dude this hurts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I shared a similar problem recently.

Try stretching and take off of running for 1-2 weeks.
wondering
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 1/26/2006 9:28PM - in reply to dude this hurts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
yeah, I just recovered from something like this in the fall. I strained my groin while running and just kept on running and it got worse, and worse, and worse...... I was able to workout for a bit as well but then it was downhill from there. Take some time off now and then maybe you won't miss over 2 months like I did with big-time PT rehab. Heating is good, stretching exercises, then once you can run again make sure you do some strengthening work for the leg muscles (in the weight room) - they all support the leg adductors of the groin area. Hope this helps!
same here
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 1/26/2006 11:33PM - in reply to dude this hurts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am experiencing the exact same thing. Ran with it for 3 weeks as I didn't think too much of it, but eventually it just got annoying and I realized I wouldn't be able to start doing workouts with it. Now I've been off for a week and I hope one more week will take care of it. However, I'm able to bike pain free, which seems kind of odd.
WithMeSoFar?
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 1/26/2006 11:43PM - in reply to dude this hurts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I got something like that, a few years ago, actually almost five years ago. I ran one my first college XC races and it was a wet grassy course. I never ran in racers/spikes/flats, ever, I always raced in trainers up to that point. My inner-upper thigh hurt after that race. After that race I finally switched to wearing racers/spikes/flats, now I even wear them in most workouts.
yoyo
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 1/27/2006 1:46AM - in reply to dude this hurts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had a stress fracture there and experienced the same pain you are experiencing. I reccomend getting an xray to take for that. If that is the case DO NOT EVEN TRY TO RUN for 6 to 8 weeks.
ttc
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 1/27/2006 3:40AM - in reply to dude this hurts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've had a strained groin muscle myself that sounds just like what you're describing. Sharp pain when moving the leg forward in my case. Speed/fast running will likely irritate it more. May have to go with LSD easy mileage for a while. Maybe ice?? Not sure though on that.
dude this hurts
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 1/27/2006 8:49AM - in reply to ttc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks for the replys folks

i spose ill take the next 3 days in the pool and do a lot of ice and stuff and then see where it goes from there

preciate it
I have this too
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 4/23/2006 6:28PM - in reply to dude this hurts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump for anyone who has experienced this. I'm a female and am reluctant to go to a doc/chiropractor because it is in kind of an embarassing area.... the very upper inner thigh/adductor region ... RIGHT to the side of the groin/vaginal area. It also seems to "ache" in my tailbone/butt region when I get up from sitting or try to sit on the floor (just before I hit the floor it aches).

I am trying to self treat... should I ice or heat? Also, what sort of cross training can I do? I tried swimming /aqua running yesterday and it ached.... I'm pretty sure I can't bike either.
speedster
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 4/23/2006 7:04PM - in reply to I have this too Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If it hurts while doing those cross-training activities right now, I would just take some time off until you can cross-train without pain. If it has seemed to get better as a run progressed in the past, then it is probably muscular. I would say try to stick with the heat. You can also use something called electrical stimulation to speed recovery. After having suffered from a groin injury in my right leg, I used electic stim. in the other leg when I began to feel pain this spring. I am confident that electric stim. helped prevent the same injury.

You say that you do not want to go to a doctor because of the area. For a correct diagnosis though, it would probably be a good idea. Maybe you can find a woman doctor/PT with whom you feel comfortable. That would be my best advice for you. If you treat this as an injury to the muscle, and it is bone, you are only hurting yourself and wasting time. Get a correct diagnosis, and you'll know how to go about treating your injury more effectively.
I have this too
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 4/23/2006 7:28PM - in reply to speedster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks speedster. I think it is related to my abductors. They were pretty tight for a while and I think I got a little too agressive trying to run through them and then I stretched them pretty hard and I think I did something to it then. I tried to run through it 3 days but it just was this nagging ache that pretty much stayed the same the whole run. When you used elect. stimulation, where did they put it? Like on the adductor in the inner thigh, right before the groin region?

Anyone else who has successfully delt with this, I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.... especially about cross training. Sitting on my ass, doing nothing, and losing fitness is going to make me go insane. Thanks.
Ethan Farrell
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 4/23/2006 7:46PM - in reply to I have this too Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had a problem that was similar to this and we treated it for as a soft tissue injury for a few weeks. After some time of it not improving, we found out it was a stress fracture in my femur. As for xt'ing, lots of biking and pool running. I was out for about 6 weeks. Best of luck.
speedster
RE: Pain in the inner thigh 4/23/2006 7:47PM - in reply to I have this too Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, they placed two electrode pads on the adductor region. It varies from case to case because the groin region is fairly broad. But for me, one was placed a few inches below the pubic bone (a little on the inside), and the other was placed a few inches down from the first one. The first few times you get elect. stimulation it is all a matter of getting it adjusted to your particular injury. You can usually tell when it is placed correctly. Also, I would usually do this before runs in conjunction with heat. Then do some groin stretches before gettting going.

I don't know your situation (hs/college runner or adult runner), but if you're in a school setting, the trainer can usually set you up with the elect. stimulation. Otherwise, there are some excellent elect. stim. personal units for $30-40 on the internet. If you buy one, you can then use it whenever you feel you need to.