sevenbravo
Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/18/2006 9:30PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I look like an old man walking from my bed to the bathroom due to my stiff and sore joints in my legs and feet. However, I am fine after a minute or so and I have no pain throughout the day. I am just curious to know if any of you old geezers have the same problem in the morning or if I am not made out for all this running. I am 37 years old and run a meager 40-60 miles a week.
runamook
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/18/2006 9:41PM - in reply to sevenbravo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
47, 30 of it running. yeah. thats how it is, but you probably look and feel younger than the other 37 year olds out there once you get warmed up, right?
tits and azz
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/18/2006 9:51PM - in reply to sevenbravo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you need to take more rest days. this isn't a "I'm getting old" thing. slow down, being a successful runner takes time.
zatopek
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/18/2006 9:52PM - in reply to sevenbravo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is totally normal. I have felt that way for the past 20 years...but as you said it eventually goes away.
Yeah but..........
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/18/2006 9:55PM - in reply to tits and azz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
...wait until you're 50. I hurt for more than a few minutes every morning.....
sevenbravo
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/19/2006 11:57AM - in reply to runamook Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

runamook wrote:

47, 30 of it running. yeah. thats how it is, but you probably look and feel younger than the other 37 year olds out there once you get warmed up, right?

Yes I do.

It only takes a minute or so before I am walking normally. Ten minutes later, I am out running pain free. So I go from barely moving to all out running in about 15 minutes.
HillRunner31
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/19/2006 12:03PM - in reply to sevenbravo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey I'm only 31 and feel the exact same way. I don't run crazy miles, 70-80 mpw w/2-3 quality sessions per week. As soon as I get out bed in the morning, I am so stiff and sore in my feet and legs that its kind of a struggle to walk. I even have to hold on the stair railing when I walk down the stairs. Within a couple of minutes, I feel completely normal.
Average_Joe
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/19/2006 12:45PM - in reply to sevenbravo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've always heard this but never really experienced it except when I'm injured. I guess I've been very, very lucky in this regard. Right now I have a knee tendon injury so I definitely feel pain. But usually, even when I'm over 100 mpw, I don't hurt at all in the morning. Just a little stiffness that shakes out in the first mile.

Do you guys stretch much?
sittin-on-a-ritz
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/19/2006 12:59PM - in reply to Average_Joe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
stiff..? you bet especially after a workout session at the track..
sebcoe59
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/19/2006 1:00PM - in reply to sevenbravo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 46 and I've found that if I don't stretch before I go to bed, especially if I've run hard that day, then I am very stiff getting out of bed. I spend part of the last hour before I go to bed sitting on the floor and stretching while watching the news.
CO-Runner
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/19/2006 1:05PM - in reply to HillRunner31 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 38 and have shuffled along like an old man since my early 20s ... maybe earlier, just can't remember that far back. ;-)

As long as I don't have a real injury, it usually wears off by the time I get to work at 9:00. Come to think of it, I've always been one of those who likes to run at 10-11 in the morning and/or some time later in the afternoon/evening.
medium-sized white guy
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/19/2006 2:15PM - in reply to sevenbravo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just turned 37 this week and I'm in the same boat. Getting out of bed and then having to walk downstairs to start the coffee is a bitch. Like you, after a few minutes everything's cool. However, I did notice last summer during an extended period of little to no running and lots to even more drinking and all-around good times that my body felt fine in the morning but my head hurt like hell. Personally, I'll take the stiff legs and joints in the morning over the hangover any day.
Dr. Blackjack
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/19/2006 10:14PM - in reply to sevenbravo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You have plently of company in this department. Sounds like there are a lot of us out there who struggle constantly with the aches and pains. I always found it ironic that I could run 90 miles in a week and my legs would be fine, but spend 20 minutes walking in a mall with a female shopper and my legs were screaming. Kinda felt like that new Bud Light Stunt Man commercial......
The real Coach Caboose
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/20/2006 8:34AM - in reply to sevenbravo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ha,ha.....41 and man how I hate the first few steps out of bed in the morning.
OCrunner
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/20/2006 9:13AM - in reply to The real Coach Caboose Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I will be turning 37 next month and I feel this way every morning. For me, it's mostly my feet that hurt, but the pain goes away after a few minutes of walking around the house. I have been running 80-90 miles a week for most of the year. I don't think it's "an age thing" because I am actually running better now than when I was in my twenties. And like someone said before, I also look younger than most 37 year olds that I know. Most people that don't know me think I'm still in my twenties.
Rudi
RE: Do your feet and legs hurt when you first get out of bed? 1/20/2006 9:28AM - in reply to The real Coach Caboose Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, my girlfriend and I are both into the beginning stages of London Marathon training. I generally feel sore all year even when ticking over at abou' 50mpw, but now it'll be up to 90/100 mpw in the build-up phase and man I am sore, like all day. I find the only week of the year I actually feel like a normal human being is the week leading up to London where I am in a sharp taper... with 2 days to go there is no stiffness at all, even in the morning which is fantastic. Feel like running up a vertical wall though. Sheesh, the things we do for our sport... 51 weeks of soreness a year.