which one?
Apple Juice vs. Soda 1/9/2006 2:17PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know soda is really bad for you but I just looked at the label on a 16oz bottle of 100% apple juice (nothing added) and it's got 56 grams of sugar - a 12oz can of soda is only 43 grams.

Assuming I get plenty of vitamin C already, should I stay away from apple juice and drink soda instead because it tastes a lot better.

There must be a lot of other bad stuff in soda other than sugar I just don't really know why it's so much worse.
Flagpole Willy
Hola from FW 1/9/2006 2:25PM - in reply to which one? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

which one? wrote:

I know soda is really bad for you but I just looked at the label on a 16oz bottle of 100% apple juice (nothing added) and it's got 56 grams of sugar - a 12oz can of soda is only 43 grams.

Assuming I get plenty of vitamin C already, should I stay away from apple juice and drink soda instead because it tastes a lot better.

There must be a lot of other bad stuff in soda other than sugar I just don't really know why it's so much worse.

Soda (both with sugar and without) leads to tooth decay. Also, it causes porous bones. Soda has no nutritional merit whatsoever. Go with the apple juice, but even there, you're better off eating an orange or an apple and drinking water than drinking lots of juice.
cranky yankee
RE: Hola from FW 1/9/2006 2:29PM - in reply to Flagpole Willy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
not necessarily. as long as you aren't short on fiber AND you don't put on weight easily, juice is just fine for you. that is, assuming the juice is organic and whatnot.
redmeansdead
RE: Apple Juice vs. Soda 1/9/2006 2:46PM - in reply to which one? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's my understanding that it's the combination of caffiene, carbonation, loads of simple sugar, sodium, no vitamins or minerals, lots of non-nutritional additives, etc that makes soda so bad for you. It's more than sugar that makes soda bad.

Fruits and water are better than juice, but juice is certainly a better alternative than soda if you have a sweet tooth.
which one?
RE: Hola from FW 1/9/2006 2:51PM - in reply to Flagpole Willy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Flagpole Willy wrote:

Soda (both with sugar and without) leads to tooth decay. Also, it causes porous bones. Soda has no nutritional merit whatsoever. Go with the apple juice, but even there, you're better off eating an orange or an apple and drinking water than drinking lots of juice.

Thanks for the advice, I've been thinking of eating an apple and an orange everyday with more water and cutting back on the soda and juice.
WoW!
RE: Hola from FW 1/9/2006 3:03PM - in reply to cranky yankee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cranky yankee wrote:
assuming the juice is organic and whatnot.

Here is the problem, most "juices" are nothing more than flat sodas these days. If you want to drink juice, get it from Whole Foods or whatever you have and make sure it is 100% organic/pure. It is still a bunch of calories, but it is better than the HFCS-syrup passinf for juice these days.

What I like to do, is get the juice and mix it with water. I swear it tastes good, even up to 1 part juice, 3 parts water, which is how I drink it.

I also get the pure cranberry juice. I mean pure, not cocktail or whathaveyou, but pure juice and throw a splash in my water bottle in the morning. Like an ounce or so. Keeps the pipes clean if you know what I mean. It has to be the stuff that you by in the nectar section, becasue no one would drink pure cranberry juice, it is too strong.
cranky yankee
RE: Hola from FW 1/9/2006 3:07PM - in reply to WoW! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
very good advice! yeah, it's about a 45 second walk to a whole foods for me, so that's the only place i get food. and the cranberry juice is a panacea for the urinary tract, and i think it's delicious! (i dilute it about 3 to 1 in water)
Nutri-Man
RE: Apple Juice vs. Soda 1/9/2006 4:35PM - in reply to which one? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Each the fruit or drink it...try a variety called Fresh Samantha's. Their juice kicks butt.
WhatThe.....
RE: Hola from FW 1/9/2006 6:09PM - in reply to Flagpole Willy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
which one? wrote:

Soda does not rot your teeth. I'm a dentist. I should know. Shut up.
BostonSweetLou
RE: Hola from FW 5/18/2008 4:38PM - in reply to WoW! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i will agree with you on making sure you get 100% fruit juice but screw the whole organic crap.

I drink 100% cran juice all the time...I get it from stop and shop and its perfectly fine 100% Juice.
unicyclemichael
RE: Hola from FW 5/18/2008 8:21PM - in reply to BostonSweetLou Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I drink several glasses of apple juice a day, but rarely soda. I can ride a unicycle and some one on my cross team started a rumor that I have a 14" organ. So drink up.
THE Question Asker
RE: Apple Juice vs. Soda 5/18/2008 10:19PM - in reply to which one? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yoda Soda - Apple Soda!!

Jones Soda is good. Real Sugar. Wan't New Coke the only REAL conspiracy theory? The switch from sugar to HFCS. Mexican Coke is real sugar.... and on Passover too? Ahh, passover, the holiday where I get drunk and eat a lot.

Generally, soda is great when you are sick, but the carbonation dilutes your stomach juices... not good. Then throw in the burger and fries.

I believe frutose has a low glycimic index, nice. Apple Juice is a nice because of its low acidity. Never drink orange juice before a race. Never!

Yoda Soda? Does anyone else know about the Star Wars cookbook? Is that really a thing or did I make that up.
TrackCoach
RE: Apple Juice vs. Soda 5/18/2008 11:07PM - in reply to THE Question Asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I drink the cranberry juice with 'no sugar added' and cut it with about 1/3rd water. I drink it with meals, before and after workouts. --Sometimes things are so simple that people find it difficult to believe.
TrackCoach
RE: Apple Juice vs. Soda 5/18/2008 11:07PM - in reply to THE Question Asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I drink the cranberry juice with 'no sugar added' and cut it with about 1/3rd water. I drink it with meals, before and after workouts. --Sometimes things are so simple that people find it difficult to believe.
TrackCoach
RE: Apple Juice vs. Soda 5/18/2008 11:08PM - in reply to THE Question Asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
THE Question Asker
RE: Apple Juice vs. Soda 5/19/2008 12:11PM - in reply to TrackCoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Gnar... I have tasted that stuff. Even I, the grapefuit juice fiend find the unflavored cran "difficult". I understand why you have to cut it with aqua.