Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
NoWorkRelease
JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 3:47PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had an unfortunate incident with the law and have to spend some time as a guest of the county for 3 months and 2 weeks. Since I do not have a job nd part of the unfortunate incident means I will not be back at school this year, I do not get out on Huber (work release).

The "pod" I will be in has 36 people, 2 to a cell which surrounds a SMALL common area with bolted down tables and chairs. NOTHING AT ALL TO DO.

How do I keep in shape?

My plan is to do jumping jacks in my cell during the day. How many equal a mile?

Jtupper, tinman?
hahaha
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 4:41PM - in reply to NoWorkRelease Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well that sucks, i'm sure you'll do as much running as you can from the big guys there who want to have fun with you
Reality Czech
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 4:51PM - in reply to NoWorkRelease Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There is no such equation, dumb criminal.
10k Cowboy
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 4:52PM - in reply to NoWorkRelease Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You might be better off with step aerobics onto the bolted-down furniture. Jumping jacks stress muscles for lateral movement that you don't use as much running. Step up onto a chair then down lots of times alternating legs. I'd imagine that 30-60 minutes of that done rather intensely could keep you in decent shape. You can also do pylometrics using the furniture (jump down from a chair then explode into another jump, do wall touches from the floor, do single-leg squats, etc.). When in your cell do core stuff. Caution: you will be ridiculed for doing these exercises, particularly the stepping. But if you're serious about staying in shape . . .
Mr. Idiot
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 5:35PM - in reply to 10k Cowboy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
IT'S JON GILL!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with the 2008 Olympics!!!!!
huh?
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 5:49PM - in reply to 10k Cowboy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Seriously, dude, just do core stuff like pushups and situps. I've never been to jail but I'm guessing that step aerobics aren't the coolest thing to do in the big house.
NoWorkRelease
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 5:54PM - in reply to huh? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

huh? wrote:

Seriously, dude, just do core stuff like pushups and situps. I've never been to jail but I'm guessing that step aerobics aren't the coolest thing to do in the big house.

I checked with the jail, I report in a couple days, we do NOT get to go outside for anything, we are inside 100% of the time, and can be out of our cells from 6:00AM till 9:00PM, unless there is a problem. I will be in a medium security pod.

If anyone has any suggestions about making time go by or just getting along let me know. I have never been in jail before and hope this is my last time.
Been There (feel your pain)
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 7:36PM - in reply to NoWorkRelease Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sammy Davis Jr. said it best back in 1975:
---------------------------------------------------
Baretta's Theme (Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow)
Words and music by Morgan Ames and Dave Grusin.

Introduced by Sammy Davis, Jr. in the 1975 television show "Baretta."

Don't go to bed with no price on your head,
Don't do it.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

(Chorus)
Keep your eye on the sparrow,
When the going gets narrow.

Don't roll the dice if you can't pay the price,
Don't do it.
Don't run your feet down a dead-end street.

(repeat Chorus)

Don't do me dirt or you're gonna get hurt
Don't do it.
Don't run away till you hear what I say.

(repeat Chorus)

Ain't gonna fight with no thief in the night
Won't do it.
I'm gonna go where the cold wind don't blow.

(repeat Chorus)
Neuropsychiatrist
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 7:45PM - in reply to Been There (feel your pain) Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I believe Robert Blake was nto sent to the clink
no joke
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 7:49PM - in reply to Neuropsychiatrist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
do you get to use internet in the jail?
if so, you should start up a daily or weekly thread chronicling your training.
Been There
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 7:49PM - in reply to Neuropsychiatrist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Neuropsychiatrist wrote:

I believe Robert Blake was nto sent to the clink

That is because he kept his eye on the sparrow.
cca
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 9:32PM - in reply to NoWorkRelease Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You could do some kind of circuit training where you run in place for a few minutes, do some push-ups, run in place, do sit ups, run in place, do squats, run in place, do lunges, run in place, do calf-risers, run in place, squat jumps, run in place, tri-cep push-ups (backwards). Then you look like you're sort of doing a real work-out and you're getting cardio and strength in at the same time. Try to walk around a lot too.
marijuologist
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/24/2005 10:15PM - in reply to Been There Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
jumping jacks are worthless. You really can't do any type of steady-state activity in jail, so just accept that you're going to lose fitness. Your best bet is to do simple calisthenics like pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats etc. Be creative. But don't do jumping jacks, because they're incredibly stupid and will make you an easy target for getting your ass beat.

And no, I am not the original poster.
Slammer
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/25/2005 10:36AM - in reply to marijuologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How was your time in the can?
JailBait
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/25/2005 11:52AM - in reply to Slammer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I spent 2 months in the can.

Sincerely,

Tuna
asdfgh
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/25/2005 12:09PM - in reply to NoWorkRelease Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just be some big black guy's cowgirl. I was in the can for 6 months and it worked for me.
Jailbird
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/25/2005 12:17PM - in reply to cca Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cca wrote:

You could do some kind of circuit training where you run in place for a few minutes, do some push-ups, run in place, do sit ups, run in place, do squats, run in place, do lunges, run in place, do calf-risers, run in place, squat jumps, run in place, tri-cep push-ups (backwards). Then you look like you're sort of doing a real work-out and you're getting cardio and strength in at the same time. Try to walk around a lot too.

Good call on the circuit training. You may want to add one more exercise to the routine: "Rectal Squeezes." This will help to strengthen that area in order to prevent intruders.
future ex con
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/25/2005 12:54PM - in reply to Jailbird Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
False. Rectal Squeezes will only make it hurt more when you are being anally intruded by the entire arian brotherhood. tata for now
NoWorkRelease
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/25/2005 3:10PM - in reply to future ex con Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think the pushups/situps idea is best and I will forgo any efforts at aerobic training for the time I am in.

I am a little worried about what this will be like since I have never been in before. I will be in the medium security area of the jail with guys waiting for trial and those serving sentences of less than a year. What kinda worries me is that there is ONE guy watching 2 floors. He has a spiral staircase that he goes up and down and can see into our "pod." He is in the middle of us and separated from us by this glass and bars. He has this control panel that looks like he is guiding planes in for a landing with a couple dozen TVs showing different parts of his area.

So for lots of time, he is one a different floor and that is when bad things can happen. Even though this is not the high security area, there are still some rapists and pretty tough people on our floor. I am told because the high security area is overfull some of those guys are getting sent down to my area.

The more I talk to my lawyer about this the worse I feel. My roomates have said they will visit me everyday since there are no real restrictions on tele-visits which you go to a room and there is a tv with a video camera on top and someone is at the same type unit below and you see eachother and talk on the phone.
T Bone
RE: JAIL: Jumping Jacks = how many miles? 10/25/2005 3:17PM - in reply to NoWorkRelease Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
if you could share, what exactly did you do?
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |