Pages: | 1 | 2 |
common cents
A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 10:15AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It seems that a lot of people complain about the frivolous nature of most of the topics on this board. They long for a board where they can talk seriously about training, get advice on injuries, specific workouts and the like. Obviously though, the current format where we all talk crap about people much faster than us and ask questions about favorite beers and the best guitarest ever is popular.(not judging or condemning, just saying) So, my suggestion is to create a seperate board where people can talk training and real running topics if they want, and keep this board for people to annonymously talk trash. This way we could please everyone, (well, probably not) but at least come closer. Maybe if we gain some more support through people saying they like this idea, it will come to pass, thanks Wejo
no thanks
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 10:39AM - in reply to common cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thats a terrible idea...the great thing about this board is the variety of posts (some funny, some serious) and the number of people who check it daily. It does not make sense to split the board and risk losing how active the board is. I think wejo has found a format that works and should stick with it. If you only want to discuss 'serious' training there is a magic link called search in the upper right hand corner that lets you filter the posts on the board to your own personal liking. Then you can post all day about serious stuff and people who want a little entertainment blended in can cruise the full forum.
Who asked you?
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 10:44AM - in reply to common cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If that's what you want why do you go over to runnersworld? Your boneheaded suggestion would eliminate the thing that keeps this board so popular.

And lastly: Who the hell asked you for your opinion?
Crunner
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 10:52AM - in reply to Who asked you? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
By the way no one has asked for my opinion either but.....

my suggestion would be keep the forum the way it is but open up an apparel store. I am very confident that they would make a lot of money off of letsrun merchandise.
common cents
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 11:01AM - in reply to Crunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I didn't say I only wanted to discuss serious topics. I was simply making an observation that some people seem to desire that through the messages they post. I thought that this might be a solution to that problem. If there isn't any demand for it then that's fine, my pride won't be hurt at all. I would be kind of surprised though
Howard Dean Karnazes
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 11:12AM - in reply to common cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not that I or the owners care much, but there are two potential features that would really help this site. They would take a total of several hours at most to implement and would cost nothing.

1. A Boolean search engine. In one of many unofficial ongoing jokes surrpounding this place, this feature has been half-heartedly promised for almost two years now.

The chief value of this site lies in its archived content, which is tremenous in scope. The pace at which new topics (many of them pure static) are added is a detriment in the face of an essentially worthless search engine.

2. A running and a non-running forum. This, despite what you knee-jerk idiots think, is not a complaint about non-running topics. Having separate forums would simply streamline things for everyone, and there would really be no need for moderation, because the removal of things like religious and political threads would be unnecessary.
no thanks
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 11:20AM - in reply to Howard Dean Karnazes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you, my friend, have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Howard Dean Karnazes
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 11:34AM - in reply to no thanks Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

no thanks wrote:

you, my friend, have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Please elaborate.
heehaw
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 11:36AM - in reply to Howard Dean Karnazes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
why if i were scotth i think i would say that's "19 shades of stupid"
RunDaddy
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 11:52AM - in reply to common cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

common cents wrote:

I didn't say I only wanted to discuss serious topics. I was simply making an observation that some people seem to desire that through the messages they post. I thought that this might be a solution to that problem. If there isn't any demand for it then that's fine, my pride won't be hurt at all. I would be kind of surprised though

Is it really that hard to distinguish serious running threads from others? I find it pretty easy to do so.

And if you did create a "serious" thread board, how would you keep the unworthy off it anyway?
AssaultedRunner
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 11:55AM - in reply to heehaw Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree that the variety is great on this board, but I think the way it is displayed is the problem. Sometimes I want to look up some serious information and it's near impossible. It's sort of lame, but a vBulletin-style message board (something that's common, but popular) would be great. You would have seperate forums for topics... such as Training Tips, Race Results, Off-Topic, Photos, etc...
Locknload
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 12:02PM - in reply to common cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't see the problem. You can tell the nature of the thread in about 100 milliseconds. If you don't want to participate in a certain topic then don't. Nobody is forcing you. I have an idea for you common cents. Why don't you start your own running site and allow what you want and don't want. Let us know how you make out.

This site is fine as is. Good job guys. Keep up the good work.
"""""&quo
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 12:06PM - in reply to Locknload Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If he starts another site will he be a trader?
Howard Dean Karnazes
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 12:11PM - in reply to Locknload Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Locknload wrote:
If you don't want to participate in a certain topic then don't. Nobody is forcing you.

I'm sure this won't resonate much with you, but that isn't the point.

Locknload wrote:
I have an idea for you common cents. Why don't you start your own running site and allow what you want and don't want. Let us know how you make out.

Now there's an original bit of cleverness. All suggestions are obviously not only complaints, but declarations that the suggestion-giver could do far better.

How about this, dipsh1t: If you don't like people's complaining here, keep your mouth shut, leave the board, and start your own site. (Hint: We can do this waltz all day and not get anywhere.)
FatBastard
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 12:36PM - in reply to common cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Common Cents -- upon which forum would you have posted your topic?

I browse other sites and forums and this is by far the most effective I've ever used. You need a critical mass to make these things work and the jo boys have found it in the entire community of serious runners. Some people might post crap on here, but I suspect they are still serious runners, and 75%+ of the stuff is not crap....that's a VERY high percentage.

Agree...I can scan topics in < 100ms. I love it. Please don't change it.
Locknload
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 12:36PM - in reply to Howard Dean Karnazes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Howard Dean,

You may have to calculate your resonant frequency for this. This is the same inductive reactance that I have become so thankful for. Of course my bandwidth exceeds yours by a large margin so for what it's worth:

Thanks for the advice. I'll take it under advisement.

Hint: Go f*** yourself. YEEEEOOOOOOAAAAAWWWWWW!
common cents
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 1:39PM - in reply to Locknload Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I find it exceedingly interesting how no one can bring up a mild and harmless idea on here without being attacked personally. My idea was not a complaint about the sight. I find both the topics about running and the political/religious topics interesting as well as the completely frivolous ones. My idea was simply to seperate them so that it would be easier to find what you're looking for. This was not an elitist idea, that we should seperate the serious runners from all the joggers. I never even mentioned serious runners, i mentioned serious topics. Personally I beleive that people of all abilities and commitment levels can have a serious running question. And finally, to answer someone's question, I would have posted this on neither thread, because the existience of two threads would have negated the need for this post.
FatBastard
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 3:31PM - in reply to common cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
...didn't mean to offend. Just making a point that there will always be overlap with some topics
Use another board?
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 3:41PM - in reply to common cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Would people who wanted to talk about training and performance a little more seriously consider using another board for that? One meant for serious runners to discuss running, lifting, stretching, exercise science and physiology, etc. be something people would welcome and use? I've considered making one, but didn't know if enough people would be willing to try it... It's hard to start something like that up unless a mass of people start using it right away - but I'd be willing to give it a try if people are interested... Just good science related to training, any takers?
Runningart2004
RE: A SUGGESTION FOR WEJO 10/19/2005 3:44PM - in reply to common cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Most boards actually have topic areas. I've been waiting for the brojos to do this for a while. The traffic here is so much that an important question get buried in the second or third page in under an hour.

Suggestions:

1. non-running
2. running general
3. races
4. training

Alan
Pages: | 1 | 2 |