Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
dbdbdbdb
York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 9:32AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Runners charged with arson
York High students also may be expelled

By Art Barnum
Tribune staff reporter
Published September 30, 2005

Two members of York High School's highly ranked varsity cross-country team face expulsion after being charged in the arson of a $1 million Elmhurst home and a school bus.

DuPage County Assistant State's Atty. Robert Berlin told a judge Wednesday that the varsity runners--Justin Jones and Brian Marchese, both 17--and a 15-year-old team member drove by a residential construction site at 845 S. Poplar Ave. on July 24, "saw it empty, parked a block away and went inside."

"They found a cardboard box filled with construction debris, and Jones set it on fire," Berlin said.

He said the boys left the scene, "and within minutes, considering the dry summer, the home was engulfed in flames.

"They decided to return to the scene, drove by, saw the fire and made a conscious decision not to alert fire or police and left," he said.

The same boys and a fourth York student, Daniel Kunesh, 17, were reportedly involved two nights later, Berlin said, in setting a fire that destroyed a school bus at Sandburg Middle School.

Berlin said Jones set the bus fire with gasoline he took from his home, with Marchese and the juvenile standing watch outside the bus and Kunesh driving a getaway car.

All four have been charged with residential arson and arson, three as adults and one as a juvenile.

Berlin detailed the alleged crime to Judge James Konetski, who ordered the 15-year-old be placed on electronic home monitoring.

Jones and Marchese were each released this week from the DuPage County Jail on $20,000 bond, and Kunesh was released on $15,000 bond. All three are to be arraigned Oct. 31. All four defendants are students at York High School in Elmhurst.

Brian Telander, attorney for the juvenile, said Wednesday that school officials will hold a hearing Monday, seeking to expel the four. He said his client is also a member of the school's cross-country team.

School officials have declined to comment on the athletic or academic standing of the four students.

Telander said, however, that parents of the teenagers are considering their education options.

Jones and Marchese are both seniors and are members of the varsity three-time defending state championship team.

School officials alerted police this month after rumors spread about the students' involvement.

The three charged as adults face a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison, if convicted. Two homes next to the destroyed home also sustained major damage, Berlin said.
oftenrunning52
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 9:58AM - in reply to dbdbdbdb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hope they can run faster than Bubba, their rapist roommate when they get to prison. How moronic must you be!!!
ttc
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 10:03AM - in reply to oftenrunning52 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How in the heck were they found out? I'm glad they got caught, but how could've anyone known that they did it? (Assuming they kept their mouths shut).
ttc
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 10:08AM - in reply to oftenrunning52 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

oftenrunning52 wrote:

Hope they can run faster than Bubba, their rapist roommate when they get to prison.

A skinny XC runner in spandex shorts should hold up just fine in prison.
yjfgfjh
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 10:21AM - in reply to ttc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ttc wrote:
(Assuming they kept their mouths shut).

obviously, they didn't...
Fence Sitting Moderate
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 10:23AM - in reply to ttc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does anyone still want to trot out the "runners are smarter" argument? Nice move idiots! This time next year you'll be in Joliet running from hardened criminals instead of the relative cushy existence of college XC runner.

(Pun intended)
Jesse Jackson
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 3:26PM - in reply to Fence Sitting Moderate Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There are always outliers. I would still contend that in general runners are smarter/better behaved. However, I have been known to make generalizations...
G-Town York
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 3:48PM - in reply to Jesse Jackson Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The only recent incident involving cross country notables was the Debole vandalism incident at Georgetown in 2004.
Jonnie Cochran's ghost
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 4:21PM - in reply to Jesse Jackson Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Jesse Jackson wrote:

There are always outliers. I would still contend that in general runners are smarter/better behaved. However, I have been known to make generalizations...

I haven't heard of many teenagers, period, who've burnt down property at their prodigious rate. Your smarter/better behaved theory would be better hung on non athletes altogether. Pride comes before a fall. Better had they been ordinary, non pamperd students. Looks as if their success went to their collective heads in a bad way.
Greenwhiner
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 5:21PM - in reply to Jonnie Cochran's ghost Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
5-4-3-2-1-Time for Greenliner to make an excuse for these little s***s.
6packjack
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 5:30PM - in reply to Jesse Jackson Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Jesse Jackson wrote:

I used to think this. Then I found letsrun and discovered how wrong I can be. VERY VERY wrong.
Montesquieu
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 5:31PM - in reply to Greenwhiner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think it's extremely sad that these young men, who were in a somewhat priviliged position, did something that will haunt them forever. And it's impossible at this juncture to know exactly what the story is, but it looks as if three of them were along for the ride--and for them it's sadder still.
darkness
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 5:39PM - in reply to Montesquieu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have heard that if you are slim, have little body hair, and few scars that lifers will make you grow your hair long in prison and act like a woman every night.

These boys are f***ed!!

The sad thing is that insurance paid for the house and that uis a lot of money down the drain for so little entertainment. Hope it was worth it boys!!
gh
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 6:31PM - in reply to G-Town York Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
wait, what happened with debole?
mr obvious
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 9/30/2005 6:42PM - in reply to gh Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Justin Jones has already made a legal name change to Jericho. Brian Marchese will now be known as Jon Gill II.
the voce
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 10/1/2005 6:00PM - in reply to mr obvious Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
lol!!!
Brad Sanders
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 10/3/2005 10:40AM - in reply to the voce Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think its is all just a big F***ing joke to get the HS hopes up for state like they did last year saying that there top runner had a broke leg. its all abunch of bull sh** to me.
--
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 10/3/2005 10:59AM - in reply to Brad Sanders Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your kidding right? This has nothing to do with them winning state, they could lose 50 kids and still win state (overexageraged but you get my point). If this is true York is the master of manipulating the media because it has been on every news channel and newspaper in chicago. And last year their top runner did have a stress fracture and still came back to win the 1 and 2 mile at state.
Balm Man
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 10/3/2005 12:59PM - in reply to -- Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
York isn't *that* dominant. I used to run against them in high school. Some years they could lose a bunch of kids and still do well in state. But there are lots of other schools in the Chicago burbs that are pretty hard core. It is amazing that every year you knew they'd be in competition for the title--that in itself is amazing, given how good the running is in Illinois.
Doesn't Matter
RE: York runners charged with arson, update 10/9/2005 5:13PM - in reply to dbdbdbdb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The people who posted these are stupid
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |