Pages: | 1 | 2 |
sam w
Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 10:16AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a marathon in 6 days. The shoes I plan to run in have gotten wet a few times, and on a 10 mile run yesterday it rained the whole time.

They have been smelling bad for a couple weeks, but now they smell like cat urine. Which is especially bad since I do not have a cat.

Any thoughts to get them dry and reduce the smell?
goulet
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 10:30AM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
lock your doors. stray cats coming into your house and pissing on your shoes is cause for concern.
SpaceLord
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 10:30AM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My whole garage smells like rotten ammonia as my festering pile of shoes sits in the corner. The individual shoes (if smelled up close) can double for smelling salts - it is the most putrid aroma on earth. But don't worry about it (unless the smell simply bothers you too much)....you won't smell them while you're running and if someone at the race is bothered tell them to go f*ck themselves and run more and they won't be judging you. If you are transporting the shoes and don't want all your other clothes to stink, stick the shoes in two plastic bags with a bar of potently fresh soap (that's what I do when I travel for work).
Keith Stone
Go to a pet store and get some hamster bedding (cedar shavings). Stuff a couple socks full of it. Pull the liners out of the shoes and put the socks in.

Let sit to ferment.
Minimalist Cult Enforcer
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 10:37AM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Buy new shoes
MarathonMind
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 10:42AM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As long as they're dry who cares what they smell like?
BTW, I have a pair of NB 990's and they briefly smelled like cat urine too.
I decided not to worry about it.
swedish fisk
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 10:48AM - in reply to MarathonMind Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Mine too!! NB 856
sam w
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 10:54AM - in reply to Minimalist Cult Enforcer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Minimalist Cult Enforcer wrote:

Buy new shoes

i will. the problem is that i do not want to run in new shoes for te marathon on oct 2.

the smell is very bad. last night i had them in the bedroom and my wife came in and said, "this room smells like cat pee." it made the whole room smell bad. i got the shoes out before she found them, but the smell stayed.
poetnumberone
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 10:58AM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is what it is, says the cat-piss.
Holland Nass
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 11:24AM - in reply to poetnumberone Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dr.S
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 11:46AM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Drench the shoes in boiling water. Just take them outside and pour a few teapots full of boiling water on them and let them sit for a few minutes.

Then to help them dry, stuff them with newspaper to wick out the moisture. Keeping them out in the sun helps, Change the newspaper every few hours and replace it with dry paper. Do this today, and your shoes will be odor-free and dry for race day.
jsquire
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 12:00PM - in reply to Dr.S Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Run 'em through the wash on gentle cycle and use any of your speed-drying techniques. I have to do this every so often or the wife won't let me get in the car with my shoes on. Mine are due for a washing. . .but I had to take them with me on a romantic island getaway this last weekend. A small B&B plus stinky shoes do not equal a happy woman.
sam w
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 12:43PM - in reply to jsquire Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
jsquire,

are you a lawyer?
mommy mommy
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 1:02PM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
jsquire is not a lawyer, he is something more. Much more:

2a: a male attendant especially on a great personage b : a man who devotedly attends a lady : GALLANT

Proof is that he takes great care not to offend his lovely wife's senses whilst on a romantic getaway.
jizzmo
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 1:42PM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I found that this is real common in running shoes. I don't know if it's the glue or dye or what, but a bunch of us on the CC team back on college had the same thing happen. And no body had a cat. Seemed to be especially horrid after a run in the rain.
jsquire
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 1:46PM - in reply to mommy mommy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A lawyer? Hah hah! That's funny! I only like to work that hard on running.

I'm based near Toledo. There are great islands right here in the Great Lakes, and pretty inexpensive to boot. Just google "Pat Dailey" and you'll find the kind of places I like to be. And when you've been out for a 20-miler in 20-below wind chill, and the wife has great hot food waiting for you, you learn to treat her well in return.
Mr. Chau
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 3:27PM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I believe the lawyer you seek is jshed.

As for your cat pissed shoes, may I recommend my solution. In one shoe stick a roast-turkey-avacaco (on dutch crunch). In the other stick a roast-turkey-cranberry on sweet roll. After this take those bad boys down to the Old Pro and soak them in some fresh Guinness from the tap. Put them in the microwave for 5 minutes on high, remove the sandwiches (eat one now and one later), and shoes are good to go.

Good luck in the 'thon.
Locknload
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 9/26/2005 3:36PM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Buy a dog.
Jennifer
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 10/20/2005 7:42PM - in reply to Locknload Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here is a bit of an explanation, as opposed to a solution.....it's ammonia....The chemical make-up of ammonia is NH3. This means that there is one Nitrogen atom bound to three Hydrogen atoms. Ammonia can be a weak acid or a weak base, depending on what type of chemical it is suspended in. Ammonia has a strong, pungent odor that is easily recognizable in cleaning products, cat urine, and, for some people, sweat!

The key to ammonia in urine and sweat is the nitrogen. The only macronutrient in your body that contains nitrogen is amino acids, the building blocks of protein. In fact, many bodybuilders are always seeking a "positive nitrogen balance" meaning that less nitrogen leaves their body than enters their body. Since nitrogen is in every amino acid, and amino acids are the building blocks of muscle, someone in positive nitrogen balance is more than likely gaining muscle mass.

Your body uses amino acids for energy every day. There is no way to avoid this. Your body constantly goes into catabolic (tissue breakdown) and anabolic (tissue building) phases. When you accumulate mass (lean or fat), your anabolic phases exceed your catabolic phases, but you still experience both phases. When your body uses an amino acid for energy, it must convert the amino acid to a useable form of energy.

It does this by stripping the nitrogen atom off of the molecule. The skeleton molecule that is left behind is then further converted into glucose and used as fuel. In order to get rid of the excess nitrogen, your body typically processes the nitrogen in your kidneys and forms urea, CO(NH2)2 - basically, a carbon dioxide molecule bound to nitrogen and hydrogen. Urea is then excreted in the urine. If your kidneys cannot handle the load of nitrogen, then the nitrogen will be excreted as ammonia in your sweat.

One other factor to consider is water intake. The methods used for getting rid of excess ammonia, such as urine and sweat, all require water as a transport mechanism. If you are not getting adequate fluid, then the solution (ammonia + water) will not be diluted. Therefore, water plays a definite role. If you are not drinking enough fluids to have at least one or two clear urinations every day, you should drink more.

Based on this explanation, it is clear that your sweat will smell like ammonia only if an excessive amount of amino acids are being used for energy, or you are not receiving adequate water. This helps us find a solution to the problem.
Sponge Bob
RE: Shoes Smell Like Cat Urine 10/20/2005 7:52PM - in reply to Jennifer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Jennifer wrote:

Here is a bit of an explanation, as opposed to a solution.....it's ammonia....The chemical make-up of ammonia is NH3. This means that there is one Nitrogen atom bound to three Hydrogen atoms. Ammonia can be a weak acid or a weak base, depending on what type of chemical it is suspended in. Ammonia has a strong, pungent odor that is easily recognizable in cleaning products, cat urine, and, for some people, sweat!

The key to ammonia in urine and sweat is the nitrogen. The only macronutrient in your body that contains nitrogen is amino acids, the building blocks of protein. In fact, many bodybuilders are always seeking a "positive nitrogen balance" meaning that less nitrogen leaves their body than enters their body. Since nitrogen is in every amino acid, and amino acids are the building blocks of muscle, someone in positive nitrogen balance is more than likely gaining muscle mass.

Your body uses amino acids for energy every day. There is no way to avoid this. Your body constantly goes into catabolic (tissue breakdown) and anabolic (tissue building) phases. When you accumulate mass (lean or fat), your anabolic phases exceed your catabolic phases, but you still experience both phases. When your body uses an amino acid for energy, it must convert the amino acid to a useable form of energy.

It does this by stripping the nitrogen atom off of the molecule. The skeleton molecule that is left behind is then further converted into glucose and used as fuel. In order to get rid of the excess nitrogen, your body typically processes the nitrogen in your kidneys and forms urea, CO(NH2)2 - basically, a carbon dioxide molecule bound to nitrogen and hydrogen. Urea is then excreted in the urine. If your kidneys cannot handle the load of nitrogen, then the nitrogen will be excreted as ammonia in your sweat.

One other factor to consider is water intake. The methods used for getting rid of excess ammonia, such as urine and sweat, all require water as a transport mechanism. If you are not getting adequate fluid, then the solution (ammonia + water) will not be diluted. Therefore, water plays a definite role. If you are not drinking enough fluids to have at least one or two clear urinations every day, you should drink more.

Based on this explanation, it is clear that your sweat will smell like ammonia only if an excessive amount of amino acids are being used for energy, or you are not receiving adequate water. This helps us find a solution to the problem.
Ummm, yeah. So anyway, are you hot?
Pages: | 1 | 2 |