LetsRun.com
your benevolent dictator
Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/13/2013 10:38AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
After his 1:51 on Saturday night, the people at Armory Track caught up with an upbeat Robby Andrews who said training has been going well and he'll be taking a crack at the American 1k record on Feb. 2nd.

A few highlights of his interview.

"Training has been going really well and I'm super excited for the indoor season and outdoor season and this summer."

"The thousand has been something that is kind of special to me ever since high school. I've been looking forward to getting in good enough shape to run a really good thousand and I'm finally in good shape," said Andrews.

"I'm just going to go for it. I'm not really expecting too, too much. I think if I"m feeling good and get the right competition I'll be able to do something special. Anything under 2:20 at this point would be good but 2:17 would be really nice right now."

Full interview here:

http://www.armorytrack.com/News/Post/college-night-robby-andrews-set-to-run
Famous
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/13/2013 1:24PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is that at the Collegiate Invite at the Armory where he is going after the record?
ukathleticscoach
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/13/2013 1:31PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So what is the record exactly

Can't see him getting any records off 1:51
NOP follower
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/13/2013 1:41PM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ukathleticscoach wrote:

If you were at the meet or watched the webcast, you can tell that the 1:51 looked very easy, so i'd imagine he can run much faster. I'm guessing that he's been putting in good deal of aerobic work, so he can probably split between 1:49-1:51 for 800m during a 1000m
dsrunner
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/13/2013 8:33PM - in reply to NOP follower Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you can do "aerobic" work all you want, doesn't mean you'll be splitting 1:50 in a 1000m -- there is some serious hauling butt involved.

the US record is held by a guy who never ran much over 50-55 miles/week.
ukathleticscoach
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 9:31AM - in reply to NOP follower Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

NOP follower wrote:

ukathleticscoach wrote:

If you were at the meet or watched the webcast, you can tell that the 1:51 looked very easy, so i'd imagine he can run much faster. I'm guessing that he's been putting in good deal of aerobic work, so he can probably split between 1:49-1:51 for 800m during a 1000m

I reckon he is more likely to run around 2:20

Some of these records need revising though:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archive/records/indoor/american.html
Yesley
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 9:34AM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I understand. What's the point of going for the 'record' of an comparatively arbitrary distance? It's like, yeah, Robby Andrews now holds the 1000m American record, but if they so chose to, 10 other people could destroy that record the next day.

I mean, is that really even a record?
bangalangadanga
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 10:08AM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ukathleticscoach wrote:

sounds like 1:51 was a workout, now.
Ho Hum
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 10:17AM - in reply to Yesley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Yesley wrote:

I understand. What's the point of going for the 'record' of an comparatively arbitrary distance? It's like, yeah, Robby Andrews now holds the 1000m American record, but if they so chose to, 10 other people could destroy that record the next day.

I mean, is that really even a record?

You're acting like the 1000 is a totally bizarre distance. It's not arbitrary (it's a kilometer!), and it's raced plenty indoors. If there were really 10 other people who could hold an American record, they'd go for it -- how many pro runners would pass up an opportunity to call themselves "American record holder ..."?
Jeff Wigand
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 10:20AM - in reply to dsrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dsrunner wrote:

you can do "aerobic" work all you want, doesn't mean you'll be splitting 1:50 in a 1000m -- there is some serious hauling butt involved.

the US record is held by a guy who never ran much over 50-55 miles/week.

And the WR?
might be wejo
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 10:37AM - in reply to Jeff Wigand Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archive/records/indoor/american.html

List looks old, but I think the indoor record is still 2:17.86 for Krum. If you run a 1:50 800m and then another 200m at the same pace you would finish 1k in 2:17.50.
TrackCoach
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 2:06PM - in reply to might be wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would not put too much stock in Robbie's 1:51, JV coached athletes as far back as when he was at Texas has been to train through most competitions and run big when it counts. I suspect that may have been part of the problem with Webb when he was with JV in that Webb likes to always be in top shape and run fast every time he steps foot on the track. With that said, getting the 1k USR is doubtful at this point in the season because you need to be in 1:48 shape and strong enough to hang on the last 200, which to me 1:51 is a training run. If Robbie had run 1:49 I would say sub-2:20 is possible, but it is almost impossible to run 2:16 unless he is in top race shape and with athletes to chase.
rupp-certified saladbar
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 4:00PM - in reply to Yesley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Yesley wrote:
What's the point of going for the 'record' of an comparatively arbitrary distance?

You mean the most commonly used measure of distance on the planet?

The kilometer is not arbitrary. It is the mile that is a ridiculous anacronism.
rupp-certified saladbar
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 4:01PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

LetsRun.com wrote:
After his 1:51 on Saturday night ... he'll be taking a crack at the American 1k record on Feb. 2nd.

What is wrong with this logic?

That's right: everything.

As usual, letsrunners have no idea how hard a given record is.
ukathleticscoach
RE: Robby Andrews going for 1k American record on Feb. 2nd 2/4/2013 7:40AM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ukathleticscoach wrote:

Well he didn't quite get the record but I was wrong there

Very good run