Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Enoch.
Mo Farah - a terrorist? 12/30/2012 8:07AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank you, American Customs - the chap was starting to acquire certain air and graces and ideas above his station, helped no doubt by the fawning British media.

Glad someone brought him down to earth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254756/Double-Olympic-gold-medalist-Mo-Farah-quizzed-customs-officials-terror-bungle-U-S-airport.html
rojo
co-founder
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 8:04AM - in reply to Enoch. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The original article seems to be this one:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4718186/Mo-Farah-held-in-US-terror-bungle.html

Before everyone goes off and talks about how racist this is, imagine how this works. Computers obviously tag people. Multiple entries for a Somali born, non-US citizen. On that level, it makes sense.

And I should know. "Robert Johnson" is a name on the US no-fly list. It's amazing how annoying it is. I finally got a re-dress numbers.

Farah can't complain too much. He can't have it both ways. He loves the US because no one knows who he is and isn't harassed in the street. Well, welcome to the other side of the coin of that anonymity.

I had to get a re-dress number to prove i'm the non-terrorist Robert Johnson. Not sure if they have those for non-citizens or not. You'd think that after he came in once and it was established he was an Olympic gold medallist that a supervisor would be able to override the computer but maybe there is a reason why common sense isn't allowed to play any role??? Like terrorists could break in and override their own bans?? Who knows??

They certainly didn't listen to me when I complained until I got that re-dress #.
rojo
co-founder
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 8:21AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Given the subject matter of this thread, there will be a tendency for this thread to get out of hand and off-topic so I'll try to be nice and pre-emptively stop that from happening ahead of time with a helpful reminder.

Please be civil in your discussion. The posts should mainly be about Mo Farah. Remember, you are talking about a real human being here. Racist posts or posts that somehow turn this thread into talk about Israel will be deleted and get you banned from the site. Posts talking about the moderation of the site also will be deleted.
uytjhu
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 9:47AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
FYI in the past decade there's been numerous al-Shabaab plots caught that involved large groups of young Somali men who were "westernized" enough to fit in. If a young Somali man got into the country and did something then it would all be on the TSA guy who gave him the greenlight. If I was them I wouldn't be so easily swayed by a couple of medals either.
thinkpolice
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 10:16AM - in reply to uytjhu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Very few people in the United States know Mo Farah from Mo Atta. Good job TSA.
Trollist
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 10:25AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's racist, Rojo. I know you like to delude yourself into thinking you are above this crap, but the more you do try to convince us the more it comes out.
Canova>God
RE: Mo Farah - a terrorist? 12/30/2012 10:25AM - in reply to Enoch. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Welcome to 'Merica. I assume that this racial profiling went a little something like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VCgpb53JI18
Standard Bearer
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 10:28AM - in reply to uytjhu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Of course Mo Farah, hero to runners everywhere isn't a terrorist.
It would be nice a however for someone in his position to offer a dig at the end of his statement like 'I know there are some scummy Somali terrorists that make life difficult for the honest, world champion Somalis, but I'm not one of them.'
Kind of like me dissing affirmative action but following up with: thanks you idiot slave owners and racists who followed, now I have to deal with affirmative action. Yes I am white but I never did anything racist. I belong to a group of people who did bad things and I'm being inconvenienced because of them.
Beasty
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 10:40AM - in reply to Trollist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Trollist wrote:

It's racist, Rojo. I know you like to delude yourself into thinking you are above this crap, but the more you do try to convince us the more it comes out.

I agree. There probably isn't any RoJo on the no fly list, and the tsa is just using it as an excuse to discriminate against another white guy.
The MF Chronic
RE: Mo Farah - a terrorist? 12/30/2012 11:06AM - in reply to Enoch. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No, Rojo is not lying.

"Robert J. Johnson, a surgeon and a former lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army, was told in 2006 that he was on the list, although he had had no problem in flying the month before. Johnson was running as a Democrat against U.S. Representative John McHugh, a Republican. Johnson wondered whether he was on the list because of his opposition to the Iraq War. He stated, "This could just be a government screw-up, but I don't know, and they won't tell me." "Later, a 60 Minutes report brought together 12 men named Robert Johnson, all of whom had experienced problems in airports with being pulled aside and interrogated. The report suggested that the individual whose name was intended to be on the list was most likely the Robert Johnson who had been convicted of plotting to bomb a movie theater and a Hindu temple in Toronto."
Randy Oldman
RE: Mo Farah - a terrorist? 12/30/2012 1:41PM - in reply to Enoch. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No story here. Move on.
An Irish American
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 1:51PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a friend with a very common irish first name and last name Walsh also very common. But apparently also the name of an IRA member, so he had to do the same thing rojo did. In those cases it was simply the name not the travel pattern that screwed him. More coincidences are caught than criminals, if you actually were hell bent on killing people as part of an international terrorist group, fake names and passport stamps would be part of the plan.
Clean it Up
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 3:02PM - in reply to Trollist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Trollist wrote:

It's legitimate profiling. Really nothing more to add.
What!!!!
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 3:37PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You mean to tell me nobody there just could have like, Googled his frick'in name and seen his damn face all over the frick'in Internet. Hell, in less than 10 seconds they could have all just stood there and watched him win the Gold in the 5 & 10K on You Tube!!! What kind of F-Tard Nation is that place anyway?????
JFC.... give me a break!!!!
Something's wrong
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 3:49PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
[quote]rojo wrote:

"..posts that somehow turn this thread into talk about Israel will be deleted and get you banned from the site.

Mentioning Israel is now grounds for being banned on letsrun?

This does not strike you as a bit odd?
VoR
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 4:32PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rojo wrote:
"Robert Johnson" is a name on the US no-fly list. It's amazing how annoying it is. I finally got a re-dress numbers.

How is this relevant? Has there been any suggestion that the name "Mo Farah" is on the no-fly list?
pr100
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 4:40PM - in reply to uytjhu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

uytjhu wrote:
If a young Somali man got into the country...

Mo Farah isn't a Somali...
uytjhu
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 4:58PM - in reply to pr100 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

pr100 wrote:

uytjhu wrote:
If a young Somali man got into the country...

Mo Farah isn't a Somali...

For the purpose of what I'm talking about being born there counts, probably even more than being a citizen.
pjb
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 6:43PM - in reply to uytjhu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

uytjhu wrote:

FYI in the past decade there's been numerous al-Shabaab plots caught that involved large groups of young Somali men who were "westernized" enough to fit in. If a young Somali man got into the country and did something then it would all be on the TSA guy who gave him the greenlight. If I was them I wouldn't be so easily swayed by a couple of medals either.

thinkpolice wrote:

Very few people in the United States know Mo Farah from Mo Atta. Good job TSA.

Seriously, people, you're supposed to be the educated public here. PLEASE learn the difference between the TSA and US Customs, what their roles are, how they perform them, and to what effect.
Logical Man
RE: Mo Farah a terrorist? 12/30/2012 6:48PM - in reply to pjb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Did you see that unibrow!
Pages: | 1 | 2 |