Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Meseret Defar fan
MESERET DEFAR! 3/11/2012 3:42PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://www.iaaf.org/news/photo/index.html#64317

Looking at the picture above, one can almost tell what is going through Meseret Defar's mind. This is the fifth time in the last four years that she has found herself in such an unpleasant territory in a major championship. And it is the first time she has been beaten in a 3000m indoor race, and by an hitherto unknown athlete. The writing is clearly on the wall.

Meseret Defar is one of the greatest athletes ever. We all remember and admire her duels with Tirunesh Dibaba and the manner in which she runs her races passionately. She represents beauty that Ethiopian women are known for. Every time she steps on the track, we are sure of a fast time-in most cases a world lead or a world record. She always runs to win, not play a second fiddle to someone else. Together with Tirunesh and Meselech Melkamu, she has inspired and brought the best in Vivian Cheruiyot, Linet Masai, Sylvia Kibet and now Helen Obiri and the likes of Mercy Cherono. It is therefore disturbing to see a person who has done sooo much to lift up the sport so disappointed every time. In my opinion, I think it is time for her to move up the distance to the marathons. After all she did very well in her first and only half marathon where she posted 1:07:45. I think she can could debut in the marathon in a sub 2:20. What do you guys think?
puck
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/11/2012 4:20PM - in reply to Meseret Defar fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm a big fan too. Might not be ready for marathon just yet, hopefully she has some thrilling races left.
TrackCoach
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/11/2012 4:41PM - in reply to Meseret Defar fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
[quote]Meseret Defar fan wrote:]

re: "We all remember and admire her duels with Tirunesh Dibaba"

I don't remember too many of those; Dibaba and Defar usually run different events at most meets.
Jeff Wigand
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/11/2012 4:44PM - in reply to TrackCoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

TrackCoach wrote:
I don't remember too many of those

They're raced against each other 20 times.
Meseret Defar fan
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/11/2012 5:34PM - in reply to puck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am concerned because I don't think at the moment she can beat a fit Vivian Cheruiyot. That means she will walk out of London Olympics without gold and, God forbid, without a medal of any kind. There is a possibility of that happening. I would not like her to suffer such a humiliation. I believe she has everything it takes to run the marathon. All she needs to do is start out with a low key marathon race and see how it goes from there.
douglas burke
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/11/2012 11:42PM - in reply to Meseret Defar fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
meseret defar would not be satisfied with a sub 2:20 marathon, she would train with the goal of sub 2:15

sounds crazy, but i am sure she really believes that she is better than radcliffe ever was.

anyways she will stick with the 3k/5k/10k, but when she does move up to the marathon and she will, she will be running the best marathons with the best competition new york, chicago, berlin, boston, london, rotterdam, dubai etc. and she will run very fast, and the world record will be in danger.
couch surfer 26.2
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/12/2012 1:13AM - in reply to douglas burke Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
after this Olympics, watch for a huge amount of folks to try the marathon...Tiru, Vivian, Mezzy, perhaps Linet Masai (though roads don't seem to be her thing). Interesting to see if anyone can get close to Paula's 2:15. I think its one of the toughest records in sports--though perhaps the ladies will soon be like the men where a sub220 will just get a shrug, like a 205 gets now for the men.
zomgcrazy3333
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/12/2012 1:34AM - in reply to couch surfer 26.2 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
they all suck and are on CERA
mesfin
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/12/2012 1:51AM - in reply to couch surfer 26.2 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
DEFAR( means brave in ameharic) did all the best the last may be 7 or 8 year. won glod at athens olympic, own WC at japan. smash 3000 an 5000 meter for both indoor and out door. so nothing left for her better to upgrade her self to marthon as meserst defar fan said.

ethiopia will save her a** only if tirunesh return
mistiming
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/12/2012 5:52AM - in reply to mesfin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Defar could have won that race if she had been patient and let the others do the work.Am conviced she has a greater leg speed than Obiri but she went for spped enduarance which in my opinion is not her strongest point.Still she is still amoung the best perhaps she should just turn her attention and focus on 10K or Road running because she still has alot potential especially to set world records.
kevins da azn
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/13/2012 2:10AM - in reply to Meseret Defar fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Vivian should run the world half marathons champs 2012. I thinks vivian's more likely to make her half marathon debut sooner than Linet Masai. I don't think Vivian run a half marathon before the London olympics because of the long recovery time. If vivian runs Bulgaria she should deserve 2nd Laureus and iaaf world athlete of the year.
ggg
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/13/2012 2:31AM - in reply to douglas burke Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
she will not run 2:15. Radcliffe's record is insanely good.
Defar is clean by the way.
mesfin
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/13/2012 4:38AM - in reply to ggg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
still i say the depth of talent of meseret is far better than vivian. the problem is meseret is older than vivian. and i do not think so vivian will brak the world record of 5k
Wow Unbelievable
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/13/2012 8:34AM - in reply to mesfin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There sure is a lot of illiteracy on this message board.
mesfin
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/13/2012 8:39AM - in reply to Wow Unbelievable Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
english is my third language DUDE!!!!!!!!!!! LOOOL!!!!
mesfin
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/13/2012 8:41AM - in reply to mesfin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
YOU HEARD IT MAN! YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I POST MORON HA HA HA!!!!
dunes runner
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/13/2012 2:13PM - in reply to mesfin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mesfin wrote:

still i say the depth of talent of meseret is far better than vivian. the problem is meseret is older than vivian. and i do not think so vivian will brak the world record of 5k

i agree with mesfin
puck
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/13/2012 2:52PM - in reply to dunes runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree with a lot of others, I bet a lot of the best track athletes will try the marathon in 2013. Wouldn't be surprised to see more sub 2:20s in that time.
Asmara
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/13/2012 7:01PM - in reply to mesfin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mesfin wrote:

Actual Vivian and MEseret are the same age, D.o.b 1983. As for the 5000m world record, don't bet on Vivian. In fact I believe she will run 14:05 - 14:07. As long as she remains healthy, that record will go by July next year at the latest. All she needs is to enroll Linet Masai, Mercy Cherono and maybe Hellen Obiri to pace her till 4000m. From there, she can handle the last km. Take it from me that apart from the Olympic gold medal, the world record is the other most important thing in Vivian's mind-and she is very crazy about it.
mesfin
RE: MESERET DEFAR! 3/14/2012 3:17AM - in reply to Asmara Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dear asmara,

i can tell that meseret is more than 32 or 33 years old and this time she is finished( she needs a better couch and system like lagat, who still manage to beat kenyan and ethiopian athletes at age of 37) . with regrad to vivian i donot think she will break world record and the only woman who can stop her is tirunesh.

tirunesh is in good condition and working intensively. hopfully we will see her on the up coming diamond league
Pages: | 1 | 2 |