Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Azaleas
Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:07PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
USADA announced today that Michael Rodgers of Hutto, Texas, an athlete in the sport of Track & Field, has tested positive for a prohibited substance and accepted a suspension for his doping offense.

Rodgers, 26, tested positive for methylhexaneamine (dimethylpentylamine), a stimulant, as a result of an in-competition urine sample collected at the Sport e Solidarieta event on July 19, 2011, in Lignano, Italy. Stimulants are prohibited under the USADA Protocol for Olympic Movement Testing and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Anti-Doping Rules, both of which have adopted the World Anti-Doping Code and the World Anti-Doping Agency Prohibited List.

Rodgers accepted a 9-month period of ineligibility, beginning on July 19, 2011 the day his urine sample was collected. As a result of the sanction, Rodgers is also disqualified from any and all results obtained on and subsequent to July 19, 2011, including forfeiture of any medals, points, and prizes.

Rodgers originally requested a hearing in front of independent American Arbitration Association (AAA) panel, at which he provided inaccurate and misleading testimony. However, before the false testimony was acted upon by the arbitration panel, Rodgers came forward, acknowledged the truth to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, recognized his responsibility and agreed to accept his sanction and to pay the full cost of the arbitration hearing.

Rodgers provided independent corroborating evidence that his positive drug test resulted from the use of the supplement known as Jack3d several days prior to a competition. Jack3d has been implicated in positive tests involving several athletes and lists 1,3-Dimethylamylamine HCl on its label.

USADA issued an athlete advisory on June 16, 2011 to make athletes aware of the concerns regarding methylhexaneamine (dimethylpentylamine). Athletes subject to the WADA Prohibited List should avoid supplements that reference methylhexaneamine, dimethylpentylamine, 1,3-Dimethylamylamine HCl, dimethylamylamine, geranium, geranamine, or geranium stems or which purport to come from geranium oil or any constituents of a geranium plant. USADAs advisory can be found on the USADA website at http://www.usada.org/media/methylhexaneamine-and-dietary-supplements.

In an effort to aid athletes, as well as all support team members such as parents and coaches, in understanding the rules applicable to them, USADA provides comprehensive instruction on its website on the testing process and prohibited substances, how to obtain permission to use a necessary medication, and the risks and dangers of taking supplements as well as performance-enhancing and recreational drugs. In addition, the agency manages a drug reference hotline, Drug Reference Online (www.GlobalDRO.com), conducts educational sessions with National Governing Bodies and their athletes, and proactively distributes a multitude of educational materials, such as the Prohibited List, easy-reference wallet cards, periodic newsletters, and protocol and policy reference documentation.

USADA is responsible for the testing and results management process for athletes in the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Movement, and is equally dedicated to preserving the integrity of sport through research initiatives and educational programs.

http://www.usada.org/media/sanction-rodgers3112
relieved in wisconsin
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:14PM - in reply to Azaleas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I thought this was going to be about Aaron Rodgers.

Whew! glad to find out it is only some nobody runner!
agip
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:15PM - in reply to Azaleas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
jack3d? You're kidding me.
Vin
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:17PM - in reply to Azaleas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He should have used the, "My sample wasn't delivered in a timely manner and the methylhexaneamine magically appeared in my urine sample" excuse.
Sprintgeezer
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:18PM - in reply to Azaleas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So he will be eligible to compete again on April 20th?

Or he can apply for reinstatement on April 20th?

In any case, it looks like this means that he will be around for the outdoor season.

Last year's bogus Eugene race was on June 4, maybe he can run that again and shock the world with another 9.85

The field now appears more crowded than when he left.

I don't like Rodgers much--no particular reason. No verve. No style. Energy drinks. I'd rather see other guys than him on the team and in the relay.
noodles
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:20PM - in reply to agip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Isn't Dimethylamylamine HCl just an antihistamine you might find in allergy medication?
Azaleas
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:21PM - in reply to Sprintgeezer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It looks like his suspension is conveniently backdated to the date he failed, so he can run sometime in May?
The Stache
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:39PM - in reply to noodles Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

noodles wrote:

Isn't Dimethylamylamine HCl just an antihistamine you might find in allergy medication?

It is a synthetically produced drug that was originally produced as a nasal decongestant (many decongestants are stimulants). Not an antihistamine (even though some antihistamines have a secondary effect to reduce mucous production).
I don't think it is available in your run of the mill OTC cold drugs....I don't see it in CVS for example. It is sold under several names as a "dietary supplement", though.

The important point here, is that WADA added it to their banned list in 2010. If you take it and test positive, you get suspended. End of story. Just like LaShawn Merritt took something relatively innocuous - but it was banned, and he got suspended.

Athletes must PAY ATTENTION to what they put into their bodies.
dud3
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:45PM - in reply to relieved in wisconsin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

relieved in wisconsin wrote:

I was about to be super bummed if it were Aaron Rodgers. He's awesome!
Flagpole
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:46PM - in reply to relieved in wisconsin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

relieved in wisconsin wrote:

I thought it was going to be BILL Rodgers! Man that would suck.
tojar
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:49PM - in reply to Flagpole Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank God it wasn't Mr. Rogers. He never seemed like he was on the juice anyway.
hanging judge
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:52PM - in reply to Azaleas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
9 months for a doping offense? That's it? Barely covers the off season. Why not just give him 50 lashes with a feather boa? or a time out on the comfy chair?
Winnie Mae
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 1:52PM - in reply to tojar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Whew! I was afraid they had exhumed Will Rodgers.
mr cool satch
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 2:20PM - in reply to hanging judge Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
WHY is it always black runners that cheat? They give all of us brothers a bad name and are ruining the sport.
Hydrocopter
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 2:58PM - in reply to hanging judge Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

hanging judge wrote:

9 months for a doping offense? That's it? Barely covers the off season. Why not just give him 50 lashes with a feather boa? or a time out on the comfy chair?

I see your point, but this is a damn decongestant. It isn't like he was doing EPO. He probably took some mini thins to stay awake for another episode of Breaking Bad on Netflix Streaming and then this happens.
Sprintgeezer
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 2:59PM - in reply to mr cool satch Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mr cool satch wrote:

WHY is it always black runners that cheat? They give all of us brothers a bad name and are ruining the sport.

Kederis and Thanou.

Any T&F athlete who is caught cheating gives ALL T&F athletes a bad name.
Gaylen Rupp
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 3:21PM - in reply to Sprintgeezer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
man should be ban from sport. the particular drug he was using aids in muscle recovery by 800 percent, some studies have shown.
Consider This
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 3:25PM - in reply to Flagpole Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Flagpole wrote:

I thought it was going to be BILL Rodgers! Man that would suck.

Me too. My first thought was, "He STILL has to take tests?!"
ukathleticscoach
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 4:00PM - in reply to Azaleas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
'The former American 100 metre champion Michael Rodgers has tested positive for a stimulant found in an energy drink '

No he tested positive for a stimulant

Good to see he is actually innocent though. Now there is a surprise

'1,3-Dimethylamylamine '

Even a retard could take a wild guess that that is a drug which might get you banned

'Rodgers accepted a 9-month period of ineligibility, beginning on July 19, 2011'

Sprinting is a joke and while they keep handing out slaps on the wrist like this will continue to be so

Kelly Homes would not even take a paracetamol when she was competing. Does not prove she was clean but it shows they will not risk anything accidentally giving a positive
ukathleticscoach
RE: Rodgers tests positive 3/1/2012 4:05PM - in reply to The Stache Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
'Athletes must PAY ATTENTION to what they put into their bodies.'

They are, I will add your name to the gullible list

At least you follow the mupppets of letsrun rules. Fast runner - doper, fail drug test innocent. Wake up!
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |