Pages: | 1 | 2 |
SBCC
My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 8:52PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My coach for track trains us the same for the 1600m as he does for the 5k (xc). He has us run 35-55mpw depending on how good we are. We do 4-7 tempo miles a week or 4 tempo with a tempo track workout. The closest thing we do to speedwork is 500m repeats at 1600m pace. Do I need to be doing speedwork on my own? If so what will work best? Hills, 400s, 60m sprints?
mackerel
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 8:57PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
listen to your coach.
illegitimate
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 8:58PM - in reply to mackerel Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I wish I was allowed to train like that.

/jealous
smitty werbenjagermanjensen
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 9:04PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What you are doing right now is perfect if you want to run the mile. It will help you build a good base. Once you get to outdoors, get your speed up and your times down.
runner40
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 9:09PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Do yourself a favor, listen to your coach because he/she will take you to your optimal level in the years to come.
Octopus Jelly
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 9:17PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As long as you are going to transition to faster stuff later in the outdoor season, I would say that your training right now is dead on. Do you do strides?
Push Alt F4
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 9:19PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That does sound like great training. Just hop in a few 800's this season to round yourself off and you will do swell.
agip
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 9:25PM - in reply to Push Alt F4 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
it's fine as long as you race a lot in the spring.
AR today, WR tomorrow
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 9:34PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yep, much better training for your long-term development than the interval-heavy stuff you see in a lot of programs.

Do not do speedwork on your own. Listen to your coach.

Here is a good article for you to read: http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/track-and-xc/post/_/id/1724/saturday-night-lights-nadel-breaks-training-rules-gains-strength-feels-fresh
800M or Bust
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 10:50PM - in reply to AR today, WR tomorrow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The North Shore coach is smart. He has tricked his girls into thinking they don't do intervals. Whats 8 X 30 sec strides? Pickups on hill runs?
I personally do 6 to 8 X 200 @ mile pace all the time. I know those competive girls are hammering.
It comes down to many programs work, but a few keys to success are:
1. beleave in your coach
2. run varied paces, including intervals
3. do not over train
4. have at least one stud on your squad to push the others
Standard approach
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 11:03PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Relax, it's only February. This is the time of the year to be doing a lot of tempo workouts. There will be plenty of time for speed in April and May. If you're worried about your speed, do 6x100m fast strides after a couple easy runs a week.
AR today, WR tomorrow
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/12/2012 11:06PM - in reply to 800M or Bust Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
8 x 30 sec strides with full recoveries is worlds apart from typcial 3-5 minute VO2max intervals with partial recoveries. Who are you kidding?

And pushing the uphills on a 65-minute distance run that you repeat 3x per week is nowhere near the intensity, speed, or demands of a typical interval workout, or even a typical hill repeat workout. Again, who are you kidding?

Those are rhetorical questions. I really don't want, or need you to respond. We'll have to agree to disagree if you're saying he's "tricked" them into anything.

They definitely are NOT doing one-speed training. That we can agree on. They have some leg-speed, and strength in there for sure. And they have frequent, short, doses of anaerobic efforts via their races that appear to be between 800m and 3000m in distance.

But they are definitely NOT doing anything approaching intervals in the traditional sense. Despite what you are trying to imply.
hjiuh877hn
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/13/2012 2:01AM - in reply to AR today, WR tomorrow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
however you slice it, it's working just fine.
SBCC
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/13/2012 6:54PM - in reply to mackerel Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is what we did last May/June. Not now.
i listen to malmo
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/13/2012 7:05PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You only need two workouts to be a good miler. 400's at 1600 pace and 400's at 800 pace. You're already doing 500's at 1600 pace, so you've got that one covered. If you race the 400, 800, or 4x400 when you get the chance you'll have the other one covered too.

You're doing fine.
Classic Trainer
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/13/2012 8:20PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

SBCC wrote:

My coach for track trains us the same for the 1600m as he does for the 5k (xc). He has us run 35-55mpw depending on how good we are. We do 4-7 tempo miles a week or 4 tempo with a tempo track workout. The closest thing we do to speedwork is 500m repeats at 1600m pace. Do I need to be doing speedwork on my own? If so what will work best? Hills, 400s, 60m sprints?

Try doing the age old classic of 12-16x400@.60-.65 w/.60sec rest interval. Incorporate this workout at least once a week into your training. Good luck.
Classic Trainer
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/13/2012 8:20PM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

SBCC wrote:

Try doing the age old classic - 12-16x400@.60-.65 w/.60sec rest interval. Incorporate this workout at least once a week into your training. Good luck.
onwi
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/13/2012 10:03PM - in reply to Classic Trainer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
your coach sounds quite smart, listen to him.
onwi
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/13/2012 10:03PM - in reply to onwi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
a wise man once told me from strength comes speed. he was correct.
RE: My coach trains us for the 1600m with no speedwork 2/14/2012 1:11AM - in reply to SBCC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

SBCC wrote:

You didnt mention what phase is going. If your racing season is far away, for base training I would add slowly the mileage a bit if its possible, not too much. I would drop the 500`s at race pace and instead do short strides with the mileage, some medium longish progression runs from aerobic threshold to sub-lactate threshold intensity (if feeling good), then progressive 1k intervals @ starting from ~half marathon pace and speeding up to ~10k date pace with 90sec jogging recovery. Also one short sprint session of flying 50m-150m`s with good recovery. These should be run fast but still relaxed and controlled, not full out.

The main work is easy aerobic mileage, remember that. But you need SOME faster work with the repeatable mileage.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |