Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
worldxcnut
LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 11:13AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Long race men 1981:
The Ethiopians miscounted the laps and sprinted early, Virgin keep his cool and composure, making his move perfectly(as he did in '80) and held off Kedir for his second straight victory. The U.S. again gets second place as a team, this time having to defeat a new group of distance runners from a country that has go on to finish 1st or 2nd since then(if my memory serves me well).

Individual
Medal Athlete Time
Gold Craig Virgin (USA) 35:05 min
Silver Mohamed Kedir (ETH) 35:07 min
Bronze Fernando Mamede (POR) 35:09 min

[edit] Team
Medal Athlete Mark
Gold Ethiopia
Mohamed Kedir (2nd)
Girma Berhanu (7th)
Dereje Nedi (13th)
Kebede Balcha (14th)
Miruts Yifter (15th)
Eshetu Tura (30th) 81 pts

Silver United States
Craig Virgin (1st)
Thom Hunt (8th)
Mark Nenow (17th)
Bill Donakowski (18th)
Bruce Bickford (19th)
George Malley (51st) 114 pts

Bronze Kenya
Jackson Ruto (22nd)
Peter Koech (24th)
Alfred Nyasani (25th)
Sammy Mogene (36th)
Wilson Musonik (56th)
Some Muge (57th) 220 pts
worldxcnut
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 11:21AM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Long race men:1983

This team was good as well but didnt quite have the deep that the '81 squad had. Virgin was off his game but the one/two punch of Salazar and Porter made up for that. Salazar ran a great race and was only a second off the leader.

[edit] Individual
Medal Athlete Time
Gold Bekele Debele (ETH) 36:52 min
Silver Carlos Lopes (POR) 36:52 min
Bronze Some Muge (KEN) 36:52 min

[edit] Team
Medal Athlete Mark
Gold Ethiopia
Bekele Debele (1st)
Eshetu Tura (14th)
Wodajo Bulti (20th)
Mohamed Kedir (22nd)
Adugna Lema (23rd)
Chala Urgessa (24th) 104 pts

Silver United States
Alberto Salazar (4th)
Pat Porter (9th)
Thom Hunt (28th)
Ed Eyestone (30th)
Craig Virgin (42nd)
Mark Anderson (57th) 170 pts

Bronze Kenya
Some Muge (3rd)
Paul Kipkoech (16th)
Joshua Kipkemboi (31st)
James Kipngetich (32nd)
Jackson Ruto (37th)
Herman Kipngetich (72nd) 191
parthenon
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 11:27AM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When Nenow is your #3 you've got something special
worldxcnut
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 11:30AM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Long race men-1984

Quality team! Porter and Eyestone perform well, Virgin gets some of his mojo back and cracks top 20 again.

[edit] Individual
Medal Athlete Time
Gold Carlos Lopes (POR) 33:25 min
Silver Tim Hutchings (ENG) 33:30 min
Bronze Steve Jones (WAL) 33:32 min

[edit] Team
Medal Athlete Mark
Gold Ethiopia
Bekele Debele (8th)
Adugna Lema (9th)
Mohamed Kedir (16th)
Dereje Nedi (24th)
Eshetu Tura (31st)
Wodajo Bulti (46th) 134 pts

Silver United States
Pat Porter (4th)
Ed Eyestone (6th)
Craig Virgin (17th)
John Easker (28th)
Jeff Drenth (41st)
Mark Stickley (65th) 161 pts

Bronze Portugal
Carlos Lopes (1st)
Fernando Mamede (23rd)
Antonio Leitão (25th)
João Campos (26th)
Ezequiel Canario (64th)
Joaquim Pinheiro (84th)
Genealogist
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 11:40AM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

worldxcnut wrote:
Long race men 1981:
George Malley (51st) 114 pts

Is this Malley bloke any relation to Sally O' Malley of Bada Bing fame? She can, after all, kiiiick, streeeeeetch, and kiiiick! Also,she's done more laps than Seabiscuit.
worldxcnut
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 11:40AM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
FYI-This is men's analysis. (Women have a great history as well, with victories!)

Long race men- 1985:

U.S. men are at it again and continue to exert there presence at the world stage. These were times when our men ran the trials and then ran the championships. These guys we have today are great talents but "panzies" when they run the trials and opt out of the championships.

[edit] Individual
Medal Athlete Time
Gold Carlos Lopes (POR) 33:33 min
Bronze Paul Kipkoech (KEN) 33:37 min
Silver Wodajo Bulti (ETH) 33:38 min

[edit] Team
Medal Athlete Mark
Gold Ethiopia
Wodajo Bulti (3rd)
Bekele Debele (4th)
Kassa Balcha (6th)
Girma Berhanu (28th)
Chala Urgessa (33rd)
Hailu Wolde Tsadik (55th) 129 pts

Silver Kenya
Paul Kipkoech (2nd)
Andrew Masai (14th)
Boniface Merande (17th)
Joshua Kipkemboi (22nd)
Jackson Ruto (41st)
James Kipngetich (45th) 141 pts

Bronze United States
Bruce Bickford (10th)
Pat Porter (12th)
Ed Eyestone (16th)
Craig Virgin (19th)
Mark Curp (40th)
Jeff Drenth (56th) 153 pts
worldxcnut
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 11:57AM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Long race men-1986:

Wow these were the days when American's weren't afraid to mix it up with the best in the world, didn't fear competition from African, they actually welcome it and rose to a level that brought home medals "back in the day"!

[edit] Individual
Medal Athlete Time
Gold John Ngugi (KEN) 35:32.9 min
Silver Abebe Mekonnen (ETH) 35:34.8 min
Bronze Joseph Kiptum (KEN) 35:39.8 min

[edit] Team
Medal Athlete Mark
Gold Kenya
John Ngugi (1st)
Joseph Kiptum (3rd)
Paul Kipkoech (5th)
Kipsubai Koskei (7th)
Some Muge (8th)
Andrew Masai (21st) 45 pts

Silver Ethiopia
Abebe Mekonnen (2nd)
Bekele Debele (4th)
Wolde Silasse Melkessa (26th)
Mohamed Kedir (27th)
Wodajo Bulti (28th)
Haji Bulbula (32nd) 119 pts

Bronze United States
Pat Porter (6th)
John Easker (10th)
Ed Eyestone (13th)
Bruce Bickford (15th)
Alan Scharsu (79th)
Craig Virgin (81st) 204 pts
adsadsad
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 12:02PM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Malmo really stunk it up at that race.
worldxcnut
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 12:32PM - in reply to adsadsad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
With all due respect to Malmo, he was just an above average runner but the world is full of above average runners. He never was the "cream". He finished about where he should have. But we had great fun during those days.
malmo
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 12:40PM - in reply to adsadsad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

adsadsad wrote:

Malmo really stunk it up at that race.

Yup. ;)

I was running on two bad wheels. Plantar fasciitis in right foot. Sciatica in left leg. In the best shape of my life, I tore my plantar fascia 4 weeks earlier when I jammed my foot in a rut while training on a frozen golf course. Finished 2nd in the US trials, which was a little bit harder than a tempo effort for me at the time. Hoped that my foot would get better for Worlds, but didn't. By the time we left from the States for Madrid, the sciatica kicked in, causing me to have to walk in to the hotel on every training run that week. Given my injuries, I gave up my rightful spot on the first row in the chimney (2-2-2-2-1) start configuration, for the 9th spot, not knowing if I would be able to finish the race. Started DFL, and gradually moved through the field. With a lap to go, I caught up to Dan Dillon, who was having his only bad cross country run in his life. He informed me I was now the 6th (scoring) runner for the US team, causing me to step up to the plate, so I ran the last lap like a maniac, passing runners in droves finally getting up to 51st.

It was actually one of the best races I've ever run in my life.
worldxcnut
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 12:54PM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1993 WORLD XC CHAMPS:

This U.S. team has my respect as well, very solid performance. With all due respect to my american comrads, the muddy conditions was hell for the "track racers" and it evened the playing field for us. Hell in the Junior race Ritzenhein and Tegenkamp went 3rd and 5th!!!

1 Kenya 33
313 Kamathi Charles 3
322 Kosgei Paul 5
312 Ivuti Patrick 7
326 Mitei Enock 18
321 Korir John Cheruiyot (28)
325 Limo Richard (32)

2 France 72
200 El Himer Driss 6
199 El Hamadi Mustapha 11
202 Ramoul Lyes 26
204 Thomas Mickaël 29
203 Serbouti Mohammed (72)
207 Zeroual Larbi (88)

3 United States 87
530 Kennedy Bob 12
529 Keflezighi Mebrahtom 13
516 Abdirahman Abdihakem 15
535 Rogers Nicholas 47
528 Jimmerson Gregory (52)
525 Downin Matt (80)
Lorenzo the Magnificent
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 12:55PM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Gone are the days in which the Kenyans would just let some muge run on their team.
XC Fan-tastic
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 12:58PM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Where are you getting these results, worldxcnut?
worldxcnut
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 12:59PM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That last post was for 2001 not 1993
worldxcnut
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 1:15PM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have records dating back to the days when Gaston Roelants was winning world XC titles, what a great runner he was! Now that we are in the "internet age" , access to this information is readily available. "SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND"!!
smd
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 2:18PM - in reply to Lorenzo the Magnificent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Lorenzo the Magnificent wrote:

Gone are the days in which the Kenyans would just let some muge run on their team.

That was always a great name to see in results.

"Hey, how'd your race go"

"Not too great. Some Muge beat me."
XC Fan-tastic
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 2:27PM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

worldxcnut wrote:

I have records dating back to the days when Gaston Roelants was winning world XC titles, what a great runner he was! Now that we are in the "internet age" , access to this information is readily available. "SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND"!!

Why don't you just answer the question?
Victory AC
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 3:10PM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=411546&page=4

From the Mark Nenow thread a few years ago. Great links to photos from the Juan Martinez's website.
coachkritter
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 4:23PM - in reply to Victory AC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Think Bob Kennedy and Todd Williams put together a pretty good team once or twice?
worldxcnut
RE: LAST GREAT U.S. TEAM AT XC WORLDS 3/29/2009 5:06PM - in reply to worldxcnut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A little love to Malmo:
George Malley, set an American Record (8:21.72) in the steeplechase in the summer of ’78.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |