Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Mr. Spock
Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 6:42PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Great interview

http://japanrunningnews.blogspot.com/2008/12/samuel-wanjiru-shares-secret-of.html

Here's a snippet bound to start some buzz:

Q: Is that really it? Japanese runners train much more than that. (in response to hearing about his relatively 'light' training)

That's right, they do. They train way too much. For example, if they have a time trial scheduled and it's raining they do it anyway. If I were them I'd take the day off and wait to do the workout on a nice day. Doing it that way you can run a better time and leave with a better feeling about the workout. Japanese people are too serious about everything and don't like change. If training doesn't go 100% according to schedule or they don't run the times they are targeting they get all out of whack. When they go to do altitude training they try to do exactly the same training menu as when they're on low ground, too. It's bad for your health. At altitude you should run with a slower pace or just less. You should also train less in the summer and do it somewhere as cool as possible.
Some Canadian
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 9:41PM - in reply to Mr. Spock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I liked the bit where he says "I though Sato would be my main competition for the gold". That's the guy that finished last! Either he had a really really really bad day, or Wanjiru was just name-dropping his buddy...
Firstgirlfriend
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 9:52PM - in reply to Some Canadian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He takes rainy days off?! And all Sundays too?!

Woah, that really changes my perspective on many pre-conceived notions I use to have about running such as running hard every day an year-round.
Japanese Honor
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 9:52PM - in reply to Mr. Spock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The Japanese do not appreciate such frank criticism. It will be interesting to see if he is obliged to apologize for this comment, so they can save face.
crackinlikepistachios
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 9:53PM - in reply to Mr. Spock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What a great thread. I've always heard but never really listened.

awesome
WakeUp
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 10:20PM - in reply to crackinlikepistachios Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Do you guys really think that taking days off when it rains or not running on Sundays will make you better? This is the guy who broke an hour in the half when he was like 17 or something. He is an absurdly talented African. If he trained as hard as Geb he'd probably be near the 2 hr. barrier. It works for him because he could smoke a pack a day and beat every almost everyone in the world.
sprite
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 10:41PM - in reply to WakeUp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

WakeUp wrote:

Do you guys really think that taking days off when it rains or not running on Sundays will make you better? This is the guy who broke an hour in the half when he was like 17 or something. He is an absurdly talented African. If he trained as hard as Geb he'd probably be near the 2 hr. barrier. It works for him because he could smoke a pack a day and beat every almost everyone in the world.

that is very true, he is a natural beast. Or he is lying trying to get people to think he doesnt train hard.

he does however seem to train alot at race pace, and he runs twice a day
Scoreboard
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 10:48PM - in reply to sprite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
what happens if it's raining on race day?
Brett in Tokyo
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 10:57PM - in reply to Some Canadian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Some Canadian wrote:
I liked the bit where he says "I though Sato would be my main competition for the gold". That's the guy that finished last! Either he had a really really really bad day, or Wanjiru was just name-dropping his buddy...

I think Sato did have a really, really bad day, although it seemed to have started back in June. Anyway, Sato was 3rd in Wanjiru's debut in Fukuoka with 2:07:13. When it was down to just Wanjiru, Deriba Merga and Sato, and even later when Sato had fallen off a bit, Wanjiru was obviously unconcerned about Merga but kept turning to check on Sato, so I think he's being honest in this interview that he respected him as a competitor.
gogotgetit
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 11:08PM - in reply to Scoreboard Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Scoreboard wrote:

what happens if it's raining on race day?

universal paradox. doc says that everything as we know it will get destroyed! great scott!
aaaassssssssssddddddddd
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/24/2008 11:44PM - in reply to Mr. Spock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I knew and lived near a few Kenyan runner who were pretty damn fast (2:12-15 marathons) and they too would say this kind of stuff - 'don't train in the rain, etc' They would be the first ones out there no matter what the weather. The thing people have to realize is that they don't consider some running 'training'. There morning 10 miler at 7:15 pace wasn't really training but 'shaking the legs out'.
fil lander
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/25/2008 12:05AM - in reply to aaaassssssssssddddddddd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the smartest thing anyone like wanjiru can do is tell people how little they train. whether it's true or not.
the rocket
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/25/2008 12:08AM - in reply to Mr. Spock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow! This guy has the right idea. Training needs to be fluid and adjustable to the situations. Plus he seems way more educated than I would have guessed (at least about human physiology).

GREAT READ!
local notion
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/25/2008 12:19AM - in reply to Mr. Spock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
22-mile runs at ~7:12 pace. Even on rough ground, that is dead slow for a guy of his caliber. Interesting.

It sounds like he gets a little race-pace in almost every day.
~~~~~~~~
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/25/2008 12:46AM - in reply to WakeUp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I took it to mean that he wouldn't do specific workouts if it was raining... "For example, if they have a time trial scheduled and it's raining they do it anyway. If I were them I'd take the day off and wait to do the workout on a nice day. Doing it that way you can run a better time and leave with a better feeling about the workout."

However, given that this was a translated interview, I'm not sure if he is really saying "take the day off=no running at all" or perhaps on those rainy days he will at do some easy running, just not the specific track workouts/time trials?
Some Canadian
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/25/2008 12:49AM - in reply to Mr. Spock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
With the "don't train in the rain thing", I think he was just talking about workouts.
I think what he meant was that instead of doing a scheduled workout in the rain, just go for an easy run and save the workout for the next day.
Big Man
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/25/2008 1:26AM - in reply to ~~~~~~~~ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
DING DING DING

This guy got the point...he still runs just moves the hard workout to another day.
Greg Hill
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/25/2008 7:58AM - in reply to Big Man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I can see it now. Wanjiru's comments will inspire Galloway to claim he is training Wanjiru by more walking and Galloway will write an article in Joggers World titled, "Run Sub-2:15 on 30 Miles a Week - the Wanjiru Way."

The masses will become brainwashed with this nonsense and US distance running will go into another 20 year hibernation. Shirts that say "Don't Train when it Rains" will be popular and noted "running experts" will provide scientific evidence that running in the rain is bad for your health (overlooking the fact that it rains 200 days a year in Eugene, OR and more than a few elite runners have lived there).
Hoopsonopolous
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/25/2008 9:30AM - in reply to ~~~~~~~~ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Radcliffe takes off every 8th day, full rest, so why is it so unbelievable that Wanjiru takes off every 7th.
myo-worker
RE: Great interview with Sammy Wanjiru 12/25/2008 9:33AM - in reply to Scoreboard Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
last year london it rained over the second half, result...2.05.25
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |