rojo
co-founder
Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/1/2007 9:51PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was reading the Washington Post's recap of Tola's Cherry Blossom 10 mile win this evening.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/01/AR2007040101040.htmltola

Anyway, the article said Tola "competed last week in Mombassa, Kenya, finishing seventh (pending an inquiry) in the highly competitive World Cross-Country meet."

Anyone know what that means? The results list him as DNF.
-Rojo
PS. Can you imagine the reaction that a 19 yr old American would get if he ran a 46:01 10 miler?
same thing
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/1/2007 11:03PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was wondering the same thing. I saw him finish 7th on wcsn. wcsn showed him 7th in the results but not iaaf. I don't know what happened
rojo
co-founder
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/1/2007 11:27PM - in reply to same thing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
rojo
co-founder
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/1/2007 11:30PM - in reply to same thing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
JimG
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/2/2007 7:22AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I saw him at the awards ceremony. If he's 19, then I'm 29.
toodle toodle
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/2/2007 7:27AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
sour grapes
Ethio Boy
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/2/2007 8:14AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is really funny because i had posted on another thread.. excerpts from a radio interview with our 'distinguished' team leader dube jillo.

Dube was so involved with following kenenisa that he had no idea who was where. Clearly Tola dropped out.. but somehow is chip registered as a finisher.

Dube filed a protest and he was shown a video and that was all she wrote. Tola was running close to Kipyego the third place finisher. But he dropped out after lap 2.

He is one to watch for the future?
Image: http://trackandfieldphoto.com/DisplayJpg.php?070324_1439_0476_RLM&next=1

Mesfin
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/2/2007 8:26AM - in reply to Ethio Boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hallow ethioboy,

On Saturday, seifu fantahun interviewed kenenisa on FM 97.1.

Kenenisa repeat the same reason for his drop out. Together with seifu fantahun yirdaw tenaw was there (famous singer and comedian) after the interview kenenisa ask yirdaw whether he is married or not yirdaw told him he did not.

Do not you think kenenisa is desperate to marry I do not know may such a things also has got its own effect on kenenisa's performance what do you say?
Ethio Boy
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/2/2007 8:55AM - in reply to Mesfin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think that kenenisa is impacted by what happened to his fiance alem. I think that when he so athletes collapsing.. he must have got a sense of panic. I am just trying to think.. what my thoughts would be if i were in his situation.

But i really don't think that his personal life (marriage) etc., affects his athletics. He will come back with a vengence.. this is the same guy.. that whopped zeresenay handily.. in his basketball shorts (not that it matters)
Ethio Boy
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/2/2007 10:58AM - in reply to Ethio Boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Mesfin,

Did he say what his next plan is. i blv he wants to go after the 2 mile wr of 7:58. I am not sure if he will get that mark so quickly.. but he will surely get a pretty good time 8:02.. 8:01 ish.
Tommy2Nuts
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/3/2007 7:56AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
From the WaPo article:

Tola, 19, who pushed the pace from the start and led by 20 yards after two miles, took advantage of the cool, calm conditions and recorded the fastest men's time since Ismael Korir from Kenya set the then-world record of 45:38 in 1995.

This is WRONG. Its Ismael KIRUI who set the WR.
Mesfin
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 4/3/2007 8:08AM - in reply to Ethio Boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He did not say anything.

on 02april on ETV SPORT programmed he explain his disappointment hearing peoples thought such as he drop out just after zeresnay passed him
Mesfin
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 5/10/2007 6:34AM - in reply to Mesfin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Winner of the national 10,000m championship last week and 2007 national 12km cross-country champion Tadesse Tola, talks about his ambitions for the future.

Q : How did you find your performance in the 36th Ethiopian Athletics Championships?

A: I am very happy with my victory in the 10000m. I knew that I was capable of victory from the beginning.

Q : You chose to lead the race while the others stayed back. Why did you choose this strategy?

A: I am never afraid to lead a race. Before this year, I liked pushing the pace because I did not have good finishing speed. This year, I am worked hard to improve my speed.

Q : You defeated an experienced runners like Gebregziabher Gebremariam and Ibrahim Jeylan. What do you feel?

A: I knew the Gebregziabher had the speed although we have never competed together. I have always had endurance. This year, I have been worked hard on my speed. I am happy that it has paid off.

Q : Can you tell us about how your upbringing and how you started running?

A: I was born on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. I started running in school as part of physical education classes. I enjoyed the sport and decided to take it seriously after winning a 5000m race in my school.

Q : What were your best results until Wednesday?

A: I finished second in the same race last year and also took part in the African championships 10000m where I finished fourth. In November, I finished second in the Great Ethiopian Run. This year, I won the senior men’s race in Jan Meda [Ethiopia’s world cross country championships trials]. I also finished seventh in Mombassa [world cross country championships].

Q : According to the IAAF results immediately after the race, you did not complete the race. Is this true?

A: Yes. Initially, I did not register a result. But later and after an appeal by the Federation, I was given 7th position [The confusion came following a technical defect in the transponder device during competition. The IAAF reinstated Tola based on video evidence.]

Q : Now that you have won the national 10000m, what are you immediate ambitions?

A: I will be running internationally in order to obtain the qualification minimum for the 5000m and 10000m. Depending on what I achieve, I hope to compete in the world championships or the All-African Games.
greatest athletes
RE: Anyone know what happened to Tadesse Tola at World XC 6/4/2007 7:06AM - in reply to Mesfin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good performance by tadesse tola

The race was won by Kenyan Robert Sigei Kipngetich in 27:04.18, Kenyan Kiprono Menjo was second (27:04.61) and Ethiopian Tadese Tola was third (27:04.89). The top-ten home all broke 28mins.