Quote Of The Day
“The weight restrictions were severe, way beyond what any other team did, and it was especially hard to take because I was the only they were being applied to. At meals the head coach told me, ‘Eat this. Don’t eat this.’ I was weighed repeatedly throughout the day to the point that I was afraid to drink water because I thought my weight would increase by the amount of water. … The coach would get angry if I weighed more than 100 grams more than the previous day, and it became a situation where I always had to weigh less than I had the day before. I was always hungry, always thirsty … I was always thinking, ‘I want to eat, I want to eat.’ If I gave in and told myself, ‘OK, just one,’ and ate a cookie, it tasted so good that I couldn’t stop. I’d eat the whole bag, but it still wasn’t enough. That’s how my overeating started. But that would make me gain weight, and the next morning the coach would yell at me, furious, and the whole day would be terrible. So, I started waking up in the middle of the night to get on a bike or go in the sauna.”
– Japan’s 2005 World Championships marathon team member Yumiko Hara recounting the extreme diet/weight restrictions by her former coach which led her to developing an eating disorder.
- Craig Engels beef with OTC?
- Will soccer training improve Usain Bolts 400-800 running
- marathon long run idea..
- Boston to Discriminate Against Mobility Impaired Atheles Again
- Help! My sister just moved in with me
- Geoffrey Mutai - Full training log before 2011 NYC Marathon CR 2:05:05
- 6 X 1 mile repeats -- avg 5:39/5:40 -- half-marathon race coming up
- Gwen Jorgensen isn't listed as an elite in Chicago or NY? Where will she run?
- Stop refering to yourself as "Former D1". It is not impressive.
- Coach wants me to go WAY TOO SLOW on runs!?!
- Dad catches teen having sex with disgraced track coach - Fort Zumalt East High School
- The Fight Over Celliphine Chespol Gets Weirder and Weirder
- Want to run the 2018 NYC Marathon and support the Hoka NJ-NY Track Club in the process? Sign up here.