Quote Of The Day
“There is no coach I respect more in America that Mr. Newton … not because of his record of success, but because he is a man of integrity who sets the platform for kids to grow as human beings. He cares about them as though they were his own sons and teaches them self-discipline, goal setting, work ethic, and responsibility. He teaches them that life gives you no more than what you are willing to give in return. He teaches kids to take the high road. Many of the athletes from his teams go on to be successful in the adult world of business and in their homes as fathers or husbands because of what they learned from Mr. Newton. There was a cool article in the Chicago Tribune in the early 1990s with quotes from numerous adults who had run for Joe. They all spoke of him like royalty. They talked about why their lives behind high school had turned out so well; because of Mr. Newton’s influence.”
– Tom “Tinman” Schwartz posting 13 years ago on LetsRun.com about legendary York High School coach, Joe Newton. Yesterday Newton died at the age of 88 while Schwartz’s Tinman Elite club won the USATF club championships. Tinman is also the coach of Drew Hunter.
- A Legend has passed: Joe Newton RIP 1929-2017
- Honolulu Marathon Live Thread (Live Stream at 10 am Eastern/7 Pacific)
- Donovan Brazier Just Broke 4:00
- Training Log for a 2:30ish Boston Marathon 2018
- Predictions for Nick Symmonds at the Honolulu Marathon this weekend
- What could cause the end of Bitcoin?
- Who is the best athlete in the world that we can guarantee is clean?
- Unluckiest runner you never heard of?
- Try #6? This time we may have solved it. Please post if you get redirected on LetsRun after 10 am central
- Meb and Shalane Both Ambassadors for BMW Dallas Marathon This Weekend