Quote Of The Day
“I know I ran against druggies. I know I ran against guys that took drugs because I had a few of them approach me and even admitted to me that they were taking it. They had asked me to take it. They said, Johnny, you should take it. We want you to take it because you’ll be the first man to break 1:40. And I thought about it, I’m not gonna lie. Because I would run with some of them guys that I knew were dirty and would beat me and I would get upset. And I would tell my coach, I’d say, ‘Coach, if they’re taking it, I’m [going to] cheat too because I’m tired of losing to ’em and them cheating and not getting caught. I’m [going to] cheat too.'”
“And my coach said something to me that stuck with me. He said, ‘Johnny, you’re running 1:42 clean. They have to take drugs to run with you.’ And when he said that, that registered to me that, hey, you know what? You’re right, coach. I would hate to take something, get caught and then taint all the stuff that I did naturally.”
– Johnny Gray talking to LRC in a no-holds-barred interview. Gray picked up the sport as an 11th grader and ran 2:17 but for the last 32-years he’s been the holder of the American record in the 800 at 1:42.60 – the longest-standing track mark in the US.
- BYU or NAU? Who is #1?
- Jordan Hasay for..... THREEEEEEEE!
- Columbus marathon finisher numbers drop more than 40% in 3 years
- RIP Bill Donakowski (2:10:41 US Marathon Champ)
- Charlene Lipsey huge progression
- Why do people like Jordan Hasay so much?
- 8 Min Pace death march: Who has the edge......????!!!!
- A journalist is doing a write-up about me and included a part about my college running, what should I do?
- MA XC fans/alums: send me your Mike Mahon stories
- NY Times Article: Marathoners may not need more miles, but instead need to hit the gym for strength training of legs