Quote Of The Day
“I will tell you this. If you take Eliud Kipchoge, or Kenenisa Bekele, and they become only a little bit stronger than they are right now, and you take them to run a marathon that is 50 meters below sea level, and for a pacesetter you have a car or motorbike, or something like this, that is normally allowed in current competitions, and you also allow them refreshment, not every five kilometers like the rules state but whenever they need it, I think that such a time is already possible.”
BUT, this situation is not athletics. I guess it depends on what is the final goal for the project. If the final goal is only running under 2:00, I suppose it’s possible in two to three years. But if the goal is to run under 2:00 in a normal marathon, then no, it’s not possible.”
-famed coach Renato Canova telling LetsRun.com earlier this month that a sub-2 hour marathon isn’t currently possible unless the rules of the sport are broken. The quote is amazingly relevant as yesterday to much fanfare Nike announced that Eliud Kipchoge won’t be defending his London Marathon title against Kenenisa Bekele in one of the most anticipated marathon matchups in history, but instead will be attempting to break 2 hours on a non-records eligible course.
MB: Breaking: Nike admits that its sub-2 hr attempt won’t come on a legitimate course and won’t count for a WR
MB: Nike sub 2 Hour Marathon attempt in 2017 & Nike ruins dream Bekele vs. Kipchoge London matchup
Super Hot on LetsRun: Galen Rupp listed on the entry list for Prague Marathon (May 6) + other elites
- 2003 World 400m Champ Ana Guevera - now Mexican Senator - badly beaten in road rage incident
- Nike sub 2 Hour Marathon attempt in 2017 & Nike ruins dream Bekele vs. Kipchoge London matchup
- Breaking: Nike admits that its sub-2 hr attempt won't come on a legitimate course and won't count for a WR
- last one standing, a 5000m elimination track race
- How much is your car payment and what do you make?
- What to do with my life if I don't want to do anything?
- Why do people want to go longer instead of faster?
- Renato Canova shares his wisdom with LetsRun.com
- At what age do adults stop listening to new music?
- Amherst Cross Country Team Suspended Following Email Chain