Quote Of The Day
“While Caster Semenya has gotten most of the media attention, she is far from the only presumably intersex athlete to have competed at a very high level in athletics. In fact two of the three medalists in the 800 meter race at the recent indoor world championships are probably intersex. It is very possible that we could see an all intersex podium in the 800 in Rio, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see as many as five intersex women in the eight-person final. There are potential intersex medalists in other running events too. The mutations that we are talking about are very rare, and these women are hugely over-represented.”
“I think that comparing intersex women to extraordinarily tall basketball players misses a key point. It is not important to protect shorter male ‘ballers’ from taller ones. It is fundamentally important to protect female athletes from those athletes who undergo male-type puberty. The most essential element of women’s sport is that it is practiced by testosterone-challenged athletes. Even the CAS panel that suspended the IAAF’s HA regulations ‘has accepted that testosterone is the best indicator of performance difference between male and female athletes.’ …”
“I would further suggest that, while it might not be a right, success in sports is one of the greatest advancements in women’s lives. If we value women’s equality, it is imperative that we protect the ability of all women to succeed in sports.”
– Joanna Harper, writing in a Q&A with Ross Tucker on Sportsscientists.com. Harper, a medical physicist (and former guest letsrun.com columnist) who ran a 2:23 marathon as man and has won six age group national titles as a woman, believes that untreated hyperandrogenism and transgenderism threatens the very existence of women’s sports. And Harper, who “perhaps more than anyone on the planet, (lives) and breathe(s) gender and sports,” should know as within nine months of starting hormone replacement therapy she was running 12% slower than what she ran with male T levels.
- If you care about women's sports and the Caster Semenya situation, you MUST read this article
- Nike's market cap DOWN over $600 Million since Boris Berian's tweet
- ADIDAS DREAM MILE SWITCHING TO 1500 FOR OLYMPIC TRIALS?!
- Chicherova first name to come out from 2008 re-tests
- Mizzou softball ladies say Title IX is killing the sport
- For all of you who definitely think Usain Bolt is on drugs, this is for you (amazing video)
- Kid's girlfriend dry humps him after he breaks high school national pole vault record
- Slagowski AND tamagno headlining national mile at PRE
- Utah State Record Team DQed Unjustly When Evidence Shows Wrong Call Was Made
- Jess Andrews 90 sec PB! makes Team GB Oly Squad!!! Miracles do happen