Quote Of The Day
“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed with seeing 2:19 slip away. But I was at peace with it. I knew I was giving the best effort I had on this day … For victory and defeat do not define us. Failure and success do not make us who we are. They are the visible – but inescapably imperfect – markers of the processes which came before them, whipped by the winds of chance, merit conflated with nature’s vicissitudes. No, we are more that the sum total of our results. Our essence is in our efforts. You dreamed big. You worked hard. You went for it. There is no shame in in being a few seconds shy of an arbitrary standard of excellence.”
“… What is inspiring is not how fast you cross the finish tape, but in how far you’ve come to reach the starting line. Fellow Trials aspirants, this is my message: you are the embodiment of the Olympics. You will not be racing in L.A., but you were close. Recognize this. Appreciate this. Give yourself a pat on the back.”
– 2:18:52 marathoner and 2012 Olympic Trials qualifier Mike Cassidy writing about missing qualifying for the 2016 Trials as he ran 2:21:20 in Houston earlier this month. A definite recommended read.
- Early prediction thread: Olympic Marathon Trials
- Mo Farah Potential Citizenship Switch??
- How much time does Farah actually spend in Portland/with Salazar?
- How upset will you be if Galen Rupp doesn't run the marathon?
- AD asked why we didn't train on the track every day
- Dog accidentally runs half marathon
- Bernie Sanders ran cross country and track! What were his times?
- my track coach is giving us monster energy drinks before track races