2014 Paris Marathon – Kenenisa Bekele’s Debut *Results
Stretti – Link Fixed Kenenisa Bekele Talks About His First Marathon: “(For) my first marathon, it was not bad … I was not tired … If my muscles (didn’t cause me trouble), it would be possible to run even under 2:04 or something (like that).” Alberto Stretti has catches up with Bekele. What words of advice does he have for Mo Farah?
*Kenenisa Bekele Says He Made Mistakes In His Pacing Which Cost Him Some Time, Thinks He Can Challenge WR Eventually He said he wanted to do Paris so he could run an even pace and win his debut. Bekele also talked about Farah’s debut and said that his race should give Farah confidence.
LRC Kenenisa Bekele Runs 2:05:03 – Breaks Course Record And Smashes Debut Times Of Past Legends Gebrselassie, Tergat And Wanjiru The debut marathon of Kenenisa Bekele, the 5,000 and 10,000 world record holder, did not disappoint as he made a big move just after 25k and crushed the field as well as the debut times put up by past legends Gebrselassie, Tergat and Wanjiru. *AFP *IAAF
*Flomena Cheyech won the women’s race in 2:22:41.
*Toni Reavis Puts On The Stats Goggles And Thinks Bekele Can Run A WR In The Future: 2:03:02-2:03:08
*MB: Official 2014 Paris Marathon Live Discussion Thread – Kenenisa Bekele Makes His 26.2 Debut
- World Leads By Dedric Dukes And Roxroy Cato Highlight USTFCCCA’s NCAA Athletes Of The Week Dukes ran a world-leading 19.97 200 while DII athlete Cato ran a WL in the 400H with 48.67. The top woman of the weekend was Marielle Hall, who PRed by more than a minute with a 15:19.26 5K at Stanford, which is the 9th fastest in NCAA history.
*MB: Abbey D watch out – Texas’ Marielle Hall wins Stanford 5k in 15:19 over Alisha Williams!!!
- Daily Relay’s College Weekend Recap: Florida Relays, Duals, Fast Distance
Pre-Race Paris News
- Recommended Read: Kenenisa Bekele’s Marathon Debut Gets 1,264 Words Of Coverage In NY Times A great piece which also talks about Farah’s debut in London. Bekele’s agent Jos Hermens has some pointed words for Bekele: “He has to get his act together, and stay motivated and forget about business and run for five or six years.”
Lesser European Races
- Crazy: MB: So awesome: Big half marathon in UK (Sheffield Half Marathon) cancelled as race organizers had no water – runners run anyway
- Zurich: Olympic Triathlon Champ Nicola Spirig Runs 2:42:53 – Under 2:44 European Qualifying Time – May Or May Not Be Selected
- Milan: Francis Kiprop (2:08:53) And Visiline Jepkesho (2:28:40) Win
- Looking For A New Challenge? 200 Lucky (Or Unlucky) Tourists Will Be Allowed To Run A Marathon In Pyongyang, North Koreaon April 13
- Pat Butcher Writes About The Fact It’s Now Illegal To Jog In Groups In Burundi
- Kenya’s Kericho Marathon, Which Ended Up Being 52K Last Year By Mistake, Will Be 42.2 This Year And Features $17,000 In Prize Money It costs $5.80 US to enter.
- Veteran Modesto, CA Runner Survives After Making Wrong Turn On Trail Run And Being Lost In Snow For 55 Hours
High School News
- JamaicaObserver.com: 2014 Champs Were A Record-Breaking “Champs” To Be Remembered Not only did the boys 100 (10.12) and 400 (45.00) records fall, 19 other records fell as well.
- Q&A With US HS #1 At 3,200 (8:53.99) Ian Milder, Who Is Headed To NC State
US News: USATF Too Big To Succeed?
- Toni Reavis Argues That USATF’s Scope Is Too Broad And The Organization Should Be Broken Up Into Smaller Parts “Consider if Little League Baseball, Slow Pitch Softball, Wiffle Ball and Major League Baseball all came under the same organizational umbrella, with MLB having no standing, more or less, than any other component. What odds of success would you offer that arrangement?”
- When Did The Boston Marathon Actually Start Being Called The “Boston Marathon”? The 117-year-old race was first called the “American Marathon”when it started in 1897 and different names have been used throughout the years.
- San Diego Wants To Bid For 2024 Olympics
UKA Performance Director Neil Black Says He’s Confident About Mo Farah’s Fitness Ahead Of London After Visiting Him In Kenya Black said, “Alberto’s very happy. The type of phrases being used are ‘best shape’ and ‘best athlete in the world.’ Everything is positive in terms of what Alberto is seeing and understanding. … [Farah is] in absolute peak physical shape to approach the marathon.”
News From Scotland
- Scottish Steeplechaser Eilish McColgan Expects Home Commonwealth Games To Be Highlight Of Her Career She was 10th in the Moscow 2013 steeple final.
- Scotland’s Most Decorated Athlete In Last Decade, 400 Runner Lee McConnell, Announces Her Retirement At Age 35 She had a baby in October and had thought about continuing to compete in the Commonwealth Games at home this year, but has decided to hang ’em up.
Interesting: You Think Breaking A WR Is Tough? It’s Even Harder For Horses Human WRs have dropped significantly in the last 50 years, but horse times haven’t got much faster. This article looks at some of the reasons why.
Sprints / Jumps
- Watch Out In 2016, Usain: Are We Seeing The Future Of Sprinting In Trayvon Bromell And Zharnel Hughes? Last weekend, Bromell tied the WJR with 10.01 and Hughes ran 10.12 to win Jamaica’s prestigious Boys and Girls Champs.
- Lolo Jones Returning To The Track At Drake Relays She’ll run the shuttle hurdle relay instead of open 100H.
- IAAF Q&A With Qatar’s World Indoor HJ Champion Mutaz Essa Barshim He says he’d like to go over 2.40m this outdoor season.
- Australia Could Send A Rare “Full Quota” Of Sprinters In The Women’s 100H To Commonwealth Games Unlike the US, Australia doesn’t try to send all the athletes it can to major championships, but it has 3 under or close to the “A” standard in the 100H, led by Sally Pearson. The other two are Shannon McCann and Michelle Jenneke.
*Day 1 Recap Of Aussie National Champs
Oscar P’s Defense Lawyers Expected To Call Pathologist As First Witness Pistorius himself is expected to take the stand eventually.
Komon was pretty spectacular and wanted even more - the World Record - as he went out with the wind in 13:39 (57:36 pace). LetsRun.com wind genius John Kellogg estimates the wind might have cost Komon around 17 seconds. *Results
*Ken Nakamura: List Of Fastest Half Marathon Debuts In History *Chronological List Of All Sub-60 Half Marathons In History
US Pro News
- Kara Goucher Out With Sacral Stress Fracture She says her training had been going well and she was dreaming of running a sub-31 10K and sub-15 5K this summer.
- Alberto Salazar Says Mary Cain Is Healthy And Talks About Her 2014 Racing Schedule He says it’s difficult to plan as they have to schedule races around her AP testing schedule, but she’ll definitely race the Pre Classic, and other meets, including World Relay Champs, are on the table. She might skip US Champs to focus on World Junior Champs.
- Q&A With Ryan Vail, Who Will Head The American Charge At The London Marathon Vail says he’s done more quality and volume than he ever has before and is confident about attacking his 2:11:45 PR.
- Phoebe Wright Blogs: Is “Professional Runner” Code For “Unemployed”? While potential employers might hear pro runners and think “unemployed,” Wright explains how it really means “168-hour weeks” running her own small business.
- Heather Kampf And World Indoor 1,500 Bronze Medalist Nicole Sifuents Headline May 8th Medtronic TC 1 Mile
- IAAF “Work, Rest And Play” Q&A With US High Jumper Brigetta Barrett Barrett talks about her life as an athlete and her other big passion/talent in life, singing. She also reveals that she is a twin.
More Weekend Road Results
- 2013 World C Champ Japheth Korir Wins SPAR Great Ireland Run Over Andy Vernon, Poland’s Iwona Lewandowska Is Surprise Women’s Winner (33:39) Ireland’s own Fionnuala Britton was a disappointing fourth in the women’s competition but had a good attitude about it: “It’s only April. It’s not the end of the world.” *Photos.
- Shadrack Biwott (47:59) And Kim Conley (54:44) Have Won 2014 Credit Union SacTown 10 Miler
- William Chebor Stops To Tie Shoes, Still Wins Brighton Marathon In 2:09:25 Course Record, Alice Milgo Wins Women’s Title In 2:35:33 Chebor won $11,000 for his efforts in Brighton, where Paula Radcliffe was a spectator.
- 19-Year-Old Birhan Nebebew Picked Up $10,000 And Victory At Cooper River Bridge Run 10k In Charleston, SC Nebebew was 5th at Pre in the 10,000 last year and 6th at World XC. Azmera Gebru, who has a 14:58 PR and is 21, won the women’s title.
- Eritrean Beraki Beyene (2:11:50) And Kenyan Emily Perpetua Chepkorir (2:35:16) Win Santiago de Chile Marathon
Oscar P Takes The Stand
LA Times: Distraught Oscar Pistorius Testifies At Murder Trial, Apologizes Pistorius says he is on anti-depressants and troubled by nightmares. “I was simply trying to protect Reeva. I can promise you that when she went to bed that night she felt loved.”
*AP: Oscar Pistorius Trial Resumes As Defense Opens Case
US 10-Mile Champs – 2014 Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Miler *Results
Janet Bawcom Crushes Single-Sexed American Record By 76 Seconds, Runs 52:12 To Win US Title, Finishes Second To Ethiopian Mamitu Daska
Janet Bawcom was very good as was Sara Hall, but no one could stop 2:21 marathoner Mamitu Daska in the overall race.
Christo Landry Earns His First US Title In 46:41 As Stephen Sambu Wins 2014 Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run Run In Sprint Finish At 45:29
Christo Landy dominated the US race as Matt Tegenkamp struggled. Former Arizona star Stephen Sambu continues to thrive as a pro.
*MB: Official 2014 US 10 Mile Champs Thread – Bawcom sets AR!! Christo Landry dominates in 46:41!
Weekend NCAA Track Action *All Weekend NCAA Results *Stanford Results
- Stanford: MB: Abbey D watch out – Texas’ Marielle Hall wins Stanford 5k in 15:19 over Alisha Williams!!!
- MB: 28 guys Break 29:00 At Stanford – Edward Cheserek 28:51
- MB: WHY is NOBODY talking about the 19 year old Dutch girl who won the Stanford 10k invitational in 32:11.90?
- Florida Relays: MB: Florida Gators 4×4- 2:59.73 – #2 All-Time Ever!!
- MB: NCAA 200 runner-up Dedric Dukes runs 19.97 into headwind at Florida Relays Joanna Atkins was pretty darn good as well in women’s action at the Florida relays as she ran 11.09 and 22.27.
- MB: So so sick: Triple jump gold medalist Christian Taylor 45.37!!! Will he focus on 400 in 2014?
- Oregon Vs. Arizona: Oregon Vs. Arizona: Mac Fleet Beats Lawi Lalang At 1,500, Laura Roesler Experiences Going Out In Under 60 “Just to go out in under 60 and get a feel for that will help me later on. I’m not very comfortable going out hard; I’d rather kind of sit back. So it’s a good thing that 59 felt pretty comfortable today.”
*Fleet On Lalang: “I could kind of tell he was a little tired or not into it.”
- 5,000 + Fans Watch Oregon Dominate Arizona In Both Men’s And Women’s Scores
- Haley Crouser, Who Looked Like A Budding Heptathlon Star In HS, Is Focusing Just On Javelin As Freshman
- Jamaica: Jamaica’s 22-Year-Old Andrew Fisher Of UTECH Runs 10.11
- Q & A With NCAA 5th Placer In The Mile – Will Geoghegan Of Dartmouth, Who Will Run A 5th Year At Oregon
- USTFCCCA Weekend NCAA Preview
Prague Half Marathon
RRW: Joyce Chepkirui Becomes 18th Woman To Break 67:00 (Runs 66:19) – Peter Kirui PRs At 59:22 To Win Joyce Chepkirui dominated from the start, whereas Kirui took his time warming up before winning a race where 3 men broke 60:00.
Pre-Race: Recommended Read: Peter Kirui, Who Paced Patrick Makau To A World Record While Sleeping On The Floor, Now Hopes To Set The World Record Himself Kirui seemed on the cusp of greatness after his 2012 NYC Half win but saw his training derailed while studying for the Kenyan Police force. That is now over and he’s just set a PR.
- Nike Supports Athletes As Well: Nike Holds Conference Call With TFAA’s Adam Nelson And Gives Its Support To TFAA – “We respect athletes’ rights to affiliate and align as they choose.” Nelson: “We’ve established a working relationship with the biggest sponsor in our sport, and that’s pretty critical.” *Ken Goe
- USATF Issues Statement Saying It Supports TFAA And Reminds Athletes They Are Members Of USATF And Set The By-Laws Which Govern The Competitions
- MB Discussion: Breaking — Nike supports athletes right to organize — announcement coming
- History Lesson: Track & Field News Takes A Look Back At When Athletes Rose Up Against Governing Body In 1960s
- Previous: LRC USATF’s Incompetence Makes Front Page Of Wall Street Journal Marketplace Section Under Headline “Nike Runs Into Trouble On The Track”
This Weekend's Pro Action
News From Kenya
- Kenyan member of Parliament now loves Mo Farah after his foundation gave $3,500 to build a water well The article also reveals that Alberto Salazar has joined Farah in Kenya for his final pre-London training.
- Kip Keino appointed to IOC board of Olympics Broadcasting Services (OBS)
- Former WADA head Dick Pound appointed chairman of Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) Pound is now in charge of the tv rights – the only thing arguably more important than the doping fight (only because the money is needed for the doping fight).
- Asbel Kiprop and Hellen Obiri run in 4 x 1500 relay races in Kenya to qualify for World Relays Champs
- The new track in Eldoret will be…….. MONDO?? Mondo has the reputation at being better for sprints than distance running.
- Bekele, After Running Up To 150 MPW, Ready For Marathon Debut In Paris & Says Some Of Training Was “Boring” No word yet on what the halfway pace will be.
*On The Boards: K. Bekele ran up to 150 miles /week for his marathon debut in Paris on Sunday
- David Rudisha Confirms That Article Saying He Was Retiring Was An April Fools Joke
- RW Talks To Desiree Linden (Davila) About Her Training Ahead Of Boston 2014 Linden says she’s had a good training buildup which included altitude training in Kenya. She said, “I think I’m ready to be competitive, and I think I will be, but still, it’s going to be a jump from Berlin (where she ran 2:29). Where exactly I land, who knows?”
- Ken Goe Talks To A.J. Acosta, Who Is Working As An Elementary School Substitute Teacher To Continue To Fund His Running Dreams
High Fitness Associated With High Brain Function Later In Life New study shows that cardio fitness has long-term effect on several key cognitive functions.
- Amy Hastings Drops Out Of Boston Marathon, Citing Lack Of Fitness Also, Colombia’s 2012 Olympian Yolanda Caballero is out due to a positive result in out-of-competition drug testing in Kenya,
- Deena Kastor To Compete In More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women’s Half Marathon On April 13
- Kenya’s 2:06:58 Runner Henry Sugut Will Try To Win His 4th Straight Vienna City Marathon On April 13th He’ll face Ethiopia’s 2:04:50 man Getu Feleke as well as 5 other sub-2:08 men.
- RW: Fans Can Expect Some Changes At Boston Marathon As Authorities Increase Security New security guidelines discourage costumes and put extra barriers on course between fans and runners.
Aussie National Champs
- 2014 Aussie National Results – Riseley Wins 1,500, Birmingham 5k And Bucknam Women’s 1,500 – World Leader By V. Mitchell
- Good Old Aussie 1,500 Drama: J. Riseley References R. Ramzi When Tweeting About Ryan Gregson, Then Spanks Gregson In Final
- Stanford’s Steve Solomon Wins 3rd Australian Title In 45.36
Upcoming Sprint Action
- World 400 Champ Christine Ohuruogu And US’s World Indoor 60 Hurdles Champ Omo Osaghae Added To Fields For May 3rd Jamaica International Invitational Jamaica’s 2008 Olympic silver medalist Kerron Stewart will face US’s English Gardner in the 100, Kimberlyn Duncan is in the 200 and Olympic silver medalist Luguelin Santos leads the 400 field.
- Stacked 110 Hurdle Field Set For Pre Classic: David Oliver, Aries Merritt, Jason Richardson, Ashton Eaton, Ryan Wilson And Omo Osaghae Rep USA Non-Americans are Russia’s World bronze medalist Sergey Shubenkov and France’s World Indoor 60H silver winner Pascal Martinot-Lagarde.
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Feels Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare Could Be Her Biggest Challenge At The Commonwealth Games
Pro Distance News
- Q & A With Bring Back The Mile Founder Ryan Lamppa, Who Is Hoping To Gain Momentum In 2014 – The 60th Anniversary Of Bannister’s Sub-4
- Will Leer, Nick Willis And John Walker All Talk About Their Favorite Mile Moments
- Did You Know Alan Webb’s Wife Julia First Ran A Mile In 6:40? Julia Webb writes about how she became a runner and how you can stay motivated.
- Laura Muir’s 2:00.94 And 4:05.32 Ratified As Scottish Records
- Sunday’s SPAR Great Ireland Run Will Feature Battle Between Fionnuala Britton And Woman Who Denied Her A 3-Peat At Europeans – Sophie Duarte
Week That Was
WTW: Even Kenyan Teens Are Embarrassed To Run, Kenya Rules Ethiopia In Quantity But Not Quality, And Hope For Galen Rupp?
This week we give Galen Rupp fans reason to believe a victory over Bernard Lagat at 5,000 is possible, are amazed that even Kenyan phenoms are sometimes embarrassed to run, wonder why Kenya rules Ethiopia in quantity but not quality, and go crazy with our quotes of the week.
More On Ostapchuk Doping Case
- Loophole Was Why Belarussian Shot Putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk Only Got 4-Year Ban Instead Of Life For Second Positive Test She only got 4 years because she was notified of her two positive tests at the same time (one was a retroactive positive test from her re-tested 2005 World Champs sample).
- Valerie Adams And Her Camp Concerned About What Kind Of Testing Ostapchuk Will Be Subject To During Her 4-Year Ban Adams’ agent said, “On the surface, it looks like she could do that for the next 18 months, come off the drugs, compete the week after Rio and break the world record.”
NCAA Stuff: Outdoor Gets Going With First Stanford Meet This Weekend
- Edward Cheserek Making His 10K Debut Friday At Stanford Oregon’s Coach Johnson said the goal was just to get the NCAA Regional qualifying time of 28:45, not to run a really fast time.
- Dartmouth Sub-4 Miler Will Geoghegan Will Do His 5th Year At Oregon
*LRC Archive: Will Geoghegan Q & A: The Secrets Of Going From 4:05 To 3:58 In The Mile Are Revealed
- Galen Rupp Most USADA-Tested Athlete In 2013 Dathan Ritzenhein and Shalane Flanagan were the 4th and 5th most tested US athletes across all sports.
*MB: USADA Targeting Rupp
- Valerie Adams Angry, As She Should Be, That Belarus Doper Nadzeya Ostapchuk Won’t Get Lifetime Ban For 2nd Doping Offense Ostapchuk had her second positive test for steroids at the London Olympics after initially finishing first, but she’ll only be receiving a 4-year ban.
*Adams Tweets Out In Anger: “WTF”
- 1968 Double Olympic Champion And Former 400 WR Holder Lee Evans Gets 4-Year Doping Ban From Coaching Evans was banned for giving a girl he coached a banned substance that caused her to fail a doping test and collapse. A second coach was banned for life; the athlete was unnamed.
2014 Carlsbad: *Results *Full Video Race Replay *LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Dejen Gebremskel And Julia Bleasdale Win 2014 Carlsbad 5,000 – Bernard Lagat Sets New American Record Of 13:19 Gebremeskel turned the tables on Lagat from World Indoors but Lagat left with a nice consolation prize. In the women’s race, no one came close to Bleasdale, who became the first non-African born winner since 2002. Brenda Martinez was the top American – not Jordan Hasay or Gabriele Grunewald.
*MB: Official 2014 Carlsbad Live Discussion Thread: Bleasdale & Gebremeskel Win – Lagat Gets American Record
*MB: Oh crap! Grunewald vs Hasay rematch at the Carlsbad 5k, who’s gonna win?
LetsRun Goes To Jamaica
It’s Time to Change How We Find Running Shoes