Quote Of The Day
“With Nike signed up as USATF’s primary sponsor … the perception of impropriety and the potential for conflict of interest is constant and enduring. Whether it is true or not is inconsequential. The assumption, that Nike’s clout was enough to pressure the [national governing body] into re-opening the appeals process in the women’s 3,000 after the initial rulings had gone against them, rests at the heart of the matter. … The perception of favoritism alone is enough to suggest that signing an endemic sponsor is eventually counterproductive as it opens the door for exactly this kind of charge.”
“… USATF remains a 19th century type organization trying to govern in a 21st century sporting world. Though it has a professional staff, the vast majority of the organization is volunteer-based. And it shows! … well-intentioned, well-meaning, nice USATF volunteer officials seemed to be making it up as they went along, either intimidated or overwhelmed by the impassioned advocacy. Only after CEO Max Siegel stepped in after the fact did it all come out right with Grunewald getting reinstated as national champion. But, Lord, what hashtag was made of it.”
– Toni Reavis reacting to the latest USATF controversies and pointing out what he feels are some major flaws, saying, “Having volunteer officials and majority endemic sponsorship are two more penny-wise, pound-foolish vestiges of an old and tired system …” Reavis speaks on Alberto Salazar, Nike and the Grunewald DQ, saying if the roles were reversed, he doubts Jordan Hasay would have been DQed.
Super Hot on LetsRun: Happy Thanksgiving! Manchester Road Race Live Thread- Updated: Paul Chelimo Wins, Buze Diriba Outkicks Molly Huddle
- My challenge: Post Examples of DQs for Actions Similar to Grunewald and Ryan Hill
- Imagine for a moment that Hill had beaten Rupp and then been DQd for bumping him 1k from the finish
- Salazar apologizes to Lomong; will you folks please start focusing on the real problem: USATF?
- Why was Salazar allowed to keep his Credential?
- Dibaba only running 3K in Sopot. Can Cain medal?
- Timeline of Salazar's 2014 Meltdown
- Only 30 Americans EVER have run faster than Alan Webb's high school mile time of 3:53.43.
- 30 Haunting Photos Of Abandoned Olympic Stadiums.