Quote Of The Day
“People get blackballed by coaches and athletes all the time. Salazar is notorious for it, and I was on the receiving end after writing a profile on Kara Goucher for the 2012 marathon trials. I referred to his tech-dependency as “gimmicks.” That brought on a 6 A.M. call from my editor courtesy of an even earlier morning call to him from Nike AND Salazar. I thought, no way is this that serious, right? Ritzenhein later declined an interview after we’d already sat down at the Stanford Invite later that year at his coach’s behest. That guy has the memory of an elephant when it comes to grudges.”
– Jon Gugala, bemoaning the state of journalism in running these days. Because the sport is so small and insular, he says the journalists rarely do their job as they are afraid to rock the boat and lose access. Gugala says he shut down his The Trailer site after a co-founder refused to publish an interview Ryan Hall didn’t want published.
- LRC Deal of the Day: 20% Off From Shoes.com + FREE Guaranteed XMas Delivery
- Does anyone in California want to race me this Saturday, December 21st?
- I'm in my mid-20s and I'm very slim. Does society view this in a negative way?
- Worst runner with an Olympic gold medal?
- Wow: Didn't see this coming: Turks clear 2012 Olympic 1500 Champ Aslı Çakır Alptekin of Doping - Will IAAF appeal?