Tyson Gay Tests Positive *The Thread With Insider Info That Predicted A Day in Advance Do you have a drug tip? Contact us.
adidas Moves Swiftly And Dumps Tyson Gay - Gay Continues To Accept Responsibility: "I know exactly what went on, but I can't discuss it right now ... I hope I am able to run again, but I will take whatever punishment I get like a man."
The Independent: "The Life-And-Death Fight Against Drugs Has Always Been Sport's Phoney War" UK writer "looks at athletics' history with drug scandals in the wake of dark week that yet again tarnishes the sport".
Ato Boldon Says Supplements And Stimulants Should Be Legalized "Everyone is already on it. It's a question of who's getting away with it and who isn't."
- Former 100m Olympic Champ And WR Holder Donovan Bailey: "Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell know the rules – they are responsible for everything they consume" "I got to the point where I would go to the store and I would be eating hormone-free chicken. Every single thing that I was consuming, I knew it, and I wrote it down."
- Bailey And Boldon Differ In Opinions On How Much Blame Is On The Athlete Boldon: "An athlete does not have a degree in pharmacology. He is trusting of the person he is buying the supplements from, or the coach, or whoever is providing these supplements."
- IOC, IAAF say doping cases are proof that system works
- Tyson Gay's Coach Lance Brauman on Gay: "I take him at his word when he says he will be open an honest and will support and cooperate with USADA..."
- Gay's Training Partner Jason Smyth Shocked By Gay's Positive Test
- USADA Response: " USADA appreciates his approach to handling this situation and his choice to voluntarily remove himself from competition..."
- Guardian: Sprinters' failed drug tests cast shadow over anniversary of London Olympics Earlier in the year WADA director general David Howman said that track and field could be the next UCI.
- The Blame Game: The Guardian Looks At Five Famous Doping Denials/Excuses From Justin Gatlin blaming a vengeful masseur to the 1998 case where US sprinter Dennis Mitchell saying he had high testosterone from having too much sex.
- UK Athletics chief executive Niels de Vos Calls For 4-Year Ban For Tyson Gay And Asafa Powell
- Seb Coe says the fight against doping in athletics was “not a war we can afford to lose”
Gone over the Weekend? Some Positive News: *KBC-Nacht Full Results *Madrid Results
LRC Jordan Hasay Qualifies For Moscow World Champs, Just Misses Her Goal Of The IAAF "A" Standard Of 31:45 With 31:46.42 With three male pacemakers leading the way, Hasay punched her ticket to Moscow.
MB: Official Jordan Hasay chase thread
*Salazar: "Maybe I didn't rest her enough (to get the A), but her workouts have been good."
*Behind The Scenes Of Jordan Hasay's 10K Chase
Brandon Jhnson 1:43.84 PR Win In Madrid, Nesta Carter 9.87, Brandon Johnson's incredible 2013 has kept rolling into July. LaTavia Thomas won the 800 with Jenny Simpson 3rd, and Gabrielle Anderson over Morgan Uceny in 1,500.
MB: *Brandon Johnson 1.43.83
LRC Cory McGee Qualifies for Worlds Runs 4:06.67 In Belgium
LRC Ryan Hill Qualifies For 2013 IAAF World Track And Field Championships - Runs 13:14.22
More From The Weekend:
- Trevor Dunbar first Alaskan to run sub 4, goes 3:59.06.
- NZ's Zane Robertson Gets 5k World Champs "A" Standard With 13:13.83 Run In Heusden Twin brother Jake finished just behind him in 13:15.54, under the 13:20 "B" standard, but he also already has been selected for NZ in the 10,000.
- Hannah England Wins UK 1,500 After Other Two With "A" (Dobriskey And Weightman) Fail To Finish
- IAAF Recap: European Under-23 Championships: GB's Adam Gemili Wins 100 In 10.20
- Seven World Records Fall at 2013 USA Masters Outdoor Championships
- French Champs: VICAUT 9.95 (+0.9) and 9.95 (+0.3) at French Nationals 2013
- IAAF Full British Champs Reacap
- Hannah England Wins UK 1,500 After Other Two With "A" (Dobriskey And Weightman) Fail To Finish
- Perri Shakes-Drayton Sets New British Championships Record In 400H (54.36)
- James Dasaolu's Landmark Time Is Overshadowed By Doping Positives An editor in Britain is now wondering if Dasalou himself is doped.
- Tulsa's Chris O'Hare Wins 1,500 Title
*Pre-Race: Last Year's European Snub Is Motivating Force For O'Hare O'Hare says he'll redshirt indoors next year as his goal is the Commonwealths in Scotland.
*MB: Tulsa's Chris O'Hare wins 2013 GBR 1500, says he hasn't done any speed work as he tore his hamstring in May
- Marilyn Okaro Beats Jessica Judd For 800 title It wasn't close (2:00.60 to 2:02.81) as Okario ran a really good 58.72 for her last 400.
- James Dasaolu Runs Second-Fastest 100m In History By British Athlete At 9.91 The Brits are going crazy and telling Bolt to watch out.
MB: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and gotten hurt
- Atheltics Weekly Recap Of Day 2
- Dai Greene Wins 400H With 48.66 Seasonal Best
- Day 1: Former FSU Runner Andrew Lemoncello Wins UK 10,000 In 29:28 Alyson Dixon won the women's 10,000 in 34:46.
LRC For The Record, David Rudisha Has Not Had Surgery All we can say is - don't believe everything you see on Facebook/Twitter, as we have reached out to Rudisha's agent, who has squashed the Internet rumors that Rudisha had knee surgery.
Paris DL Men *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Race Video Highlights (US Only) *LRC Paris Photo Gallery LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
*LRC Paris Photo Gallery Added
LRC Men's 1,500: Mission Accomplished* For American Men; Leo's BACK!!! Leo Manzano may still be sponsorless but the lion is officially out of hibernation as he showed why he is the Olympic silver medallist as he led the American charge as he and Lopez Lomong both got the "A" to finalize America's Moscow WC team. All was not totally well for the Americans, though, as Centro stepped off the track, possibly injured. Update: Salazar Says Centro's Not Injured - Just "Embarrassed" For Dropping Out For First Time Ever
Video: Leo, Lawi, Lopez And Lagat Talk After Paris 1,500
MB: Paris 1500m *Manzano IS BACK - 3:33.14 in Paris!!! *Centro DNF Paris 1,500?
LRC Men's Steeple: Ezekiel Kemboi Breaks 8:00 As Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Breaks The European Record The men's steeple clash between the Olympic gold and silver medallists certainly lived up to the hype.
*EA: France's Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Broke The Steeple European Record With 8:00.09
MB Talk: Manzano 3:33.14 for 3rd!, Lomong Gets "A", Centro Drops Out, Bolt 19.73, James Over Merritt, Kemboi Sub 8:00, Mekhissi 8:00.09, Individual links above for each headline. Manzano interview here.
Asafa Powell and Jamaicans Test Positive
- Asafa Powell And Sherone Simpson's Hotel In Italy Raided By Police With "Suspicious Substances" Taken Away For Analysis
- Powell's Team Denies "Stash Of Pills" Found In Hotel Room Story
- NY Times: Powell And Simpson's Agent Blames Canadian Trainer Chris Xuereb For Failed Drug Tests They say they still don't know what substance the trainer gave them caused the positive test, but that things they got included being injected with Actovegin, a drug made from calves’ blood extract and is said to enhance stamina.
- Powell's Trainer Questioned By Italian Police
- What is oxilofrine? Stimulant that burns body fat and increases speed.
- Jamaican Olympic Discus Thrower Allison Randall One Of The Jamaicans Who Tested Positive Like Powell and Simpson, denied knowingly taking any PEDs saying, "I have never even seen steroids and don't know the first thing about them."
Previous Tysson Gay/Asafa Powell News
Tyson Gay And Now Asafa Powell And Five Jamaicans Test Positive Even if this ends
up just being a positive for a stimulant that warrants a 3-month suspension, Gay's positive (and also now Powell's) is a huge blow to the sport. Gay: "I don't have a sabotage story. I don't have any lies. I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA's hands, someone playing games. ... I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down."
LRC: Do You Know Who Let Gay Down? We Want To Know
MB: Makes you wonder, Who is the person that Gay trusted?
More Coverage: *AP On Gay *NY Times On Gay *Powell/Simpson Article *Powell's Statement Saying He's Not A Cheater
*New Yorker: TYSON GAY AND HOW TO CLEAN UP TRACK This is a Recommended Read as it contrasts how Gay and Powell have handled it - Gay has admitted it, Powell has claimed ignorance (plus it gives props to LRC).
*Science Of Sport: A House Of Cards? Sprinting Tumbles Down As Gay, Then Powell, Then Simpson, Carter Named As Failing Drug Controls
*Alan Abrahmson: Tracks Dirty Day
*Hersh: Doping Issues Killing Track And Field Again
*USA Today: Track Experts Say Fight Against Doping Can't Be Won
More: Powell's Trainer Arrested In Italy
*Reuters: Positives Deliver Body Blow To Troubled Sport From widespread doping in Turkey to widespread doping in sprinting, it's been quite a week on the anti-doping front.
*A Look Back At The Sprinting Dopers Over The Last 25 Years A better to ask would be who hasn't doped, as it's basically like the Tour de France.
*Jamaica's Women's Discus Champ "Shocked" By Positive Test As Well
*Powell Says He's Not A Cheat
*Drug Crisis After Gay And Powell Test Positive
*Full Statements From Jamacians Powell & Simpson
MB: LRC Thread Predicted Positive at 6pm Saturday night that a major US sprinter would test positive Clearly our Thread of the Month. And people wonder why we allow anonymous posting.
MB: TYSON GAY FAILS TEST
MB: Confirmed: Tyson Gay admits positive test, out of worlds. "I put my trust in someone."
*Powell busted for OXILOFRINE a stimulant
*Makes you wonder, Who is the person that Gay trusted?
*Powell busted for OXILOFRINE a stimulant
*Describe Your Reaction to the Tyson Gay Tests Postive News in One Word
*Admit it, we are all now waiting to see if Bolt is positve....
2013 Kenyan Moscow Champs *Results *Full Kenyan Team *Video Highlights
- IAAF Recap: Kenyan Javelin Record Falls (link fixed)
- Steeple: 18-Year-Old Conseslus Kipruto Returns To Winning Ways, Kemboi Just 6th In Steeple But Named To Kenyan Team We're not sure how hard Kemboi was trying as he did his dance as shown here.
- 1,500: The 3 Who Flamed Out At Last Year's Olympics - Kiplagat, Kiprop And Kiplagat - Make Kenyan Team Yet Again
*Kiprop, Kiplagat And Chepseba Held Hands At The Finish We watched the video and they didn't actually hold hands but they did celebrate and ease off together. The Americans Centro and Leo need to be worried as the Kenyans seem to be on the same page and admitted to having had a meeting a few days ago.
- 10,000: Japanese-Based Kenyans Bidan Karoki And Paul Tanui Dominate Kenyan 10,000 Trials And Go 1-2 Yesterday, it was said that Karoki was now based in Kenya but he's still got a Japanese coach at a minimum. Isaiah Koech killed everyone in the 5,000.
- No Major Surprises At Kenyan Women Trials We disagree a little bit as the world leader in the steeple Lydiah Chepkurui is left off the team. Linet Masai was also just 6th in the women's 10k.
- Video Highlights Of Kenyan Trials 1,500 runners celebrate together at 2:30. Kemboi dances at 1:44.
Chris Solinsky To Focus On Roads For Rest Of Summer Rather than blow money running times well of his PR in Europe, he's going to stay here and work on improving his fitness/strength and run some big road races like Falmouth. *MB: Discuss
Weekly Recap - The Week That Was
LRC Mary Cain Is A Nerd, US 1,500 Runners Run Fast But Somehow We Get Depressed, Don't
Believe Everything You See On Facebook This week we remind you not to believe everything you see on Facebook, talk about the crazy-fast US 1,500 times from last week but somehow get a
little depressed by it before getting out of our funk to realize Mary Cain is a nerd, discuss some crazy Russian doping news, and praise Bridget Franek for taking a sabbatical at age 25. Plus talk of Alan Webb, Evan Jager, Chris Lear and Lolo Jones.
*LRC Correction On Centro Showing A "Visible Limp" Through The Mixed Zone This is a correction on what we said initially in our Paris recap.
Paris DL Women *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Race Video Highlights (US Only) *LRC Paris Photo Gallery *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
LRC Women's 800: Alysia Montaño Nearly Wins, Kate Grace Joins The Sub-2:00 Club Alysia Montano battled for the
win and left with a season's best and Kate Grace joined the sub 2 club.
*Stanford's Justine Fedronic Breaks Stanford 800 Record With 2:00.97 She got the World Champs "B" standard and is fastest in France right now so has a shot at going to Moscow.
*LRC Interview With Fredonic
LRC Women's 5,000: Tirunesh Dibaba Runs World-Leading 14:23.68 5,000 As Relative Unknown Almaz Ayana Becomes 6th-Fastest Woman Ever Not a good day for Molly Huddle or Amy Hastings but Jackie Areson did PR.
*Reuters: Dibaba Says This Was Her Last Race Before Moscow, Where She Will Double 5k/10k
MB Talk: Montano 1:57.75!, Kate Grace Breaks 2:00, Dibaba 14:23
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians
And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn
Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read
all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Reviews: #1: Two Thumbs Up
*Review #2 by D2 Coach Torrey Olson "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
World Youth Champs, World University Games, Euro Under-23 Champs All This Week *World Youth Results *WY Videos, Tweets, Etc. WUG: *Results/Schedule/Meet Site *E-U23 Live Streaming Info
- World Youth Final Day: Day 4 Overall Recap: Jamaica Wins Medal Battle
- Jamaica top medals table with WYC 6 gold, 2 bronze
- The Standard: Kenya finish 2nd in medal totals
- After Semifinal DQ Is Overturned, Iceland's 800m Runner Anita Hinriksdottir Becomes Iceland's First Global Champion In 2:01.13
- MB: Final day of WYouth: No sit and kick here: 17 yr old Kenyan takes 1500 out in 1:56 solo and dominates!!!
- MB: Blake Haney 3:44.69 for 5th at WYC and number 2 all time HS junior
- 2:05.15 Anchor Gives US Girls Medley Gold
- Kejelcha Restores Ethiopia's Pride In The Boys' 3,000m
- Kenyan Girls Go 1-2 In Girls Steeple
- Romania's Florentina Marincu (LJ/TJ) Was Only Double Individual Gold Medallist
- Team USA Wins 17 Medals
- World Youth Day 4: MB: 16-Year-Old Kenyan Goes out in 48.32 for 800, holds on and (barely) wins World Youth Gold
*Brit Kyle Langford Gets Bronze At WYouths In 1:48.32
- Jamaica's Martin Manely Runs 45.89 To Win WYouth 400 Gold
*Manley: Gold Medal Is For My Coach
- Jamaica Winning Medal Battle Over USA
- Jamaican Jaheel Hyde Tried Out For Jamaican Team At 400 - An Event He Fell In Love With - But Is Now 110H Gold Medallist
- Cuba's Lazaro Martinez' 16.63m Wins TJ
- EU 23: Day 3 Recap Where GB Won Five Medals, Including Golds For Jodie Williams And Sophie Hitchon
- Adam Gemili Fails To Medal In 200 At EU 23s
- Iceland's Thomas Barr Runs 49.78 400H - Just Off 49.73 National Record
- WUGs: Mexico's Luis Alberto Rivera Breaks National Record With 8.46 Leap At WUG
Russian Athletics Coach Slams Doping Claims Made By London Daily Mail Which Hinted At Conspiracy
*Conspiracy Theory? London's Daily Mail Alleging Doping Conspiracy In Russia Where Athletes Are "Ordered To Dope" By Coaches And Testing Labs Are Paid To Cover It Up The report claims that an "anonymous" Russian sport official said, "Russians are still taking anabolics that were developed in the GDR in the 1970s. Every sportsman takes doping at the early stages as they are not tested until they become grown-ups."
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours