More Post-World XC News *LRC Flash Photo Gallery *LRC Men's Recap *LRC Women's Recap *2013 World XC Results *LRC Video Interviews *LRC Course Photos
- The 2013 World Cross-Country Course Had To Be Short LetsRun.com's ace stat man John Kellogg has done the math and we tell you - don't believe the times from Poland - there is no way the courses were the distances they were alleged to be. (Week That Was coming later Friday.)
- Article/Video: Kenya World XC Team Gets "5 Star Welcome Home" On another topic, AK chairman Isaiah Kiplagat said that the marathon team for Moscow would be named next week.
- Profile On World XC Champ Japhet Korir From 2 Years Ago Which Called Him A "Promising Talent"
2,000+ World Cross-Country Photos Now Up
Other Kenyan News
Elected Member Of Parliment And Boston Marathon Champ Wesley Korir Promises To Address Double Tax Issues For Kenyan Athletes "Double taxation amounts to exploitation of athletes. I will work to ensure that this does not happen again."
- Athletics Kenya Releases Poll Spot Locations For April 3rd Elections
Treniere Moser The US 1500m Cham From 2005 To 2007 Has Teamed Up With Alberto Salazar And The Oregon Project She's been coached by Salazar since October (who essentially saved her from retirement) and talks about the differences in her training.
World XC: Medhin Is LetsRun's Athlete Of The Week
- Meet Eritrea's Teklemariam Medhin - LetsRun.com's Athlete Of The Week Teklemariam defied all odds to get bronze at World XC as only a month ago he had malaria and then had to sleep on the floor of an airport for two days just before the race. If a US runner did this we'd rightly never hear the end of it, yet Teklemariam has received almost no publicity for the amazing feat.
- Q&A With Neely Spence On World XC, Where She Was The First Non-African Finisher In 13th Place "My coaches told me going in that they were going to yell the number of seconds I was off 15th place. That was my race. Of course after I was running in 10th-14th they had to come up with other things to say."
- 2 Good Profiles From The IAAF: Profile On Two-Time World XC Champion Emily Chebet "In 2010, I also finished fourth at the trials and went on to win gold. When I heard they returned the event there, I got the motivation to train hard, get back into shape and make the team since I missed defending the title in Spain."
- Profile On Ethiopia's World XC Runner-Up Hiwot Ayalew Ayalew was 5th place at the London Olympics after only making the switch to the event in July 2011.
- Both Ben True And The Top US Finisher In The Boys Junior Race, Matt McClintock, Are From Maine
- Ben True Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For His 6th Place Finish
- This Weekend: Asafa Powell Racing Australia's Stawell Gift Handi-Cap Meet He'll start from the line while others will get a head start at marked intervals along the straight based on seed time. Only two runners have ever "won off the scratch."
- Allyson Felix, Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Will Compete In Kingston Meet On May 4th As usual the women will race each other while the men separate into different events. Felix will face Veronica Campbell-Brown in the 100 while Bolt and Blake will be in separate TBD events. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce is in the 200.
- UK 400H World Champ Dai Greene Says He's Had A Great Winter Of Training That Has Seen Him Healthy, Setting PRs In The Weight Room And Breaking The UK 600m Record
- IAAF Inside Athletics - Episode 6: Ato Boldon Interviews 2-Time Olympic 100m Champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
- Oscar Pistorius' Brother's Trial For Charges Of Culpable Homicide From A 2008 Road Collision Has Started
That Pre Thing
Recommended Read: "That Pre Thing": Steve Prefontaine Was Far From The Fastest Or Most Decorated American Distance Runner Ever, So Why More Than 30 Years After His Death Does He Still Matter? This is another great article by Michael Heald, the author of "It Should Be Mathematical," the three-part article on Ian Dobson and Julia Lucas at the Trials, which was the LetsRun QOD in the summer. Heald goes to Coos Bay, Oregon for the Prefontaine Memorial Run, connecting with family and friends of Pre and also conducts interviews with Pat Tyson and Nick Symmonds.
Interesting International News
- What Happened To The Guy Who Beat Mo Farah In Daegu 2011? Ethiopia's 2011 10k World Champ Ibrahim Jeilan Racing SPAR Great Ireland Run 10k On April 14th Jeilan is on the comeback this year after injuries kept him out of London 2012. For this race, he'll face Collis Birmingham, Morocco's World Champs marathon 4th placer Abderrahim Bouramdane and Ukraine's nine-time European Cross-Country champion Sergiy Lebid. Ireland's Fionnuala Britton leads the women's field.
- Ryan Gosling May Play Oscar Pistorius In A Movie On The Valentine's Day Tragedy With Reeva Steenkamp Apparently a number of scripts are already making the rounds in Hollywood. Yet the trial isn't even until June.
- Only In Japan: Japan Road Runner Actually Facing "Penalties" For Racing Under His Friend's Name At A Local Road Race Running with someone else's bib number who couldn't race is pretty common at local road races. However, in this case, the guy drew a lot of attention to himself by winning.
- Ken Goe Says UK Press Anger Over Mo Farah Running Half The London Marathon Is Much Ado About Nothing We think it's a good move for Farah. He gets experience on the course and a payday, the London Marathon gets UK's double Olympic champion in their field. It can't hurt the TV ratings.
- Asafa Powell Says He Wants To Run Sub-10 On Every Continent Do they have indoor tracks in Antarctica?
- Kenyan World XC Team Arrives Home To Crowds And Celebrations At The Airport
Post-World XC News
- IAAF Article Asks If Ethiopian Hagos Gebrhiwet's Win Is The Best Junior Win Ever
- Uganda's World XC 4th Placer Moses Kipsiro Blames Not Being Able To See On Not Making More Of A Challenge For A Medal Spot He complained about the sun's reflection off the snow, which affected his visibility: "I could no longer see and had to run alongside objects. My eyes were paining."
- After Regaining Her World XC Title From 2010, Emily Chebet Wants To Take The Spring To Focus On Trying To Make The Kenyan World Champs Team At 10,000m
- Fionnuala Britton Finished As The Top European In 14th Place, Leading Ireland To A 5th Place Team Finish (Their Best In Over 12 Years) She was disappointed overall, saying, "I put myself in a good position at the start and I couldn't hang on to it. I don't feel like I gave up in it, I just didn't have it."
- UK's Steph Twell Takes Another Step In The Right Direction On Her Road Back From Injury At World XC Champs With A 40th Place Finish
- Rwanda Men Finish 13th Out Of 15 In Team Competition At World XC
40th World XC *2013 World XC Results *LRC Video Interviews *LRC Course Photos *Mini-LRC Arrival Day Photo Gallery *LRC Course Video Tour *LRC 1 Min. Aerial Video Of Course *Race Video Highlights: Senior Men *Senior Women
LRC US Men Stun Kenya And Win Team Silver!!!!! Ronald Reagan was president and none of the US men
when the US men last beat Kenya or won silver at the World
XC Champs, but thanks to two powerful performances up top and two perfectly executed performances at #3 & #4, the Americans were able to stun Kenya. Ben True led the Americans with a sixth place finish and Chris Derrick was 10th, but Bobby Mack's and Ryan Vail's steady moves through the field sealed the deal for U-S-A. More Later.
*AW General Recap Of All Races
*IAAF Individual Race Recaps: *Sr. Men: Unheralded Kenyan is youngest champ ever. *Sr. Women: Chebet comes from behind to repeat in Poland. *Jr. Men: 12:47 guy wins. *Jr. Women: Kipyegon repeats.
*LRC Ben True Post-Race Video Interview *LRC More Post-Race Interviews On LetsRun's YouTube Channel
*US: USATF: Team USA Men Grab Best Finish Since 1984 It was the first team medal in the 12k event since 2001 and first silver medal since 1984 (when the US was second to Ethiopia).
*Kenya: This Was The First Time The Kenyan Men Finished Outside The Top 2 Since 1984
*Profile On 19-Year-Old Japhet Korir, Who Is Youngest Ever To Win Men's Senior Race, Breaking Kenenisa Bekele's Record Korir was lucky just to make it to the race as he was only 6th at the Trials and selectors debated whether they should bring him. The Trials was only his 2nd race since spending time in the hospital this summer for a bad Achilles injury which he got from being spiked in a race.
*Capital FM Race Recap
*Could You Ever Picture This Happening In The US? Die-Hard Fans In Eldoret, Kenya Crowded Local Hotels And Restaurants To Watch World XC Champs On TV The article reads, "Fans went into a frenzy as world junior 1,500 metres gold medals, Faith Chepng'etich retained the junior women's 6km title. Hotel attendants had a difficult time stopping patrons from climbing on chairs and tables to catch a good view of their idols on television screens."
*Australia: Collis Birmingham Finishes 8th To Get Australia's 3rd-Best Men Individual Finish Ever
*SA: Elroy Gelant Top Finisher For SA In 20th
Pre-Race: LRC Exclusive Interview With Ben True LRC definitely picked the right guy to interview yesterday.
The Miracle On Dirt On The Boards:
- USA Beats Kenya and gets 2nd at World Cross Country
- Ben "Mfing" True!!
- World XC...USA today one of best results ever??
- Official 2013 World XC Live Race Day Thread
- neely spence, ben true, chris derrick qualify for world 10000 track champs
- What was Gebrhiwet doing in the Junior race?
- CAM LEVINS vs CHRIS DERRICK - who wins at world XC?
- WHAT HAPPENED TO CAM LEVINS?
- World XC Course. If Ben True thinks......
- Brojos - do you guys seriosuly think Mo Farah would not even be a factor in WXC if he ran?
LRC LetsRun.com Gives You A Tour Of The Bad-*** Course
The official course tour isn't until Saturday but we didn't travel all the way to Poland just to stay in our hotel room. (Assuming no one gets hurt), we loved the course and think Sunday is going to be full of drama, and think cross-country should replace the 10,000 at the Olympics. One thing is certain - this course wouldn't be certified by uptight NCAA coaches. A turn within the first 100 meters, jumps, a big-*** hill, several near 180 degree turns. Learn all about
*LRC Course Photos
*LRC Update: Video Tour Of 2013 World XC Course
LRC Will Cold Weather Really Help People From Cold Climates?
Previous World XC
LRC 6 Thoughts From The World's Greatest Foot Race LRC is now in Poland for the World XC Championships in Bydgoszcz. We'll have extensive
later on Friday, but first we've got a little world XC history and ponder a few things, including whether it's going to be a long day on Sunday for the Kenyan men and if Galen Rupp (or Mo Farah) could win the junior boys race. Along the way, we remember when their coach Alberto Salazar was a total stud in 1982.
Snow Is The Big Story
LRC What's The Craziest Weather You've Ever Raced In? LRC's Wejo and Rojo have both touched down in Bydgoszcz, Poland to cover this Sunday's World XC Championships and the weather is going to be the story. There is a ton of a snow in Poland and the forecast is for negative to 0 degress Celsius on Sunday. We've got a mini-LRC Poland photo gallery and hope to have much more from Poland on Friday after touring the course and talking to the US teams. In the meantime, we're wondering what's the craziest weather you've raced in?
- Related: What's The Craziest Weather You've Raced In?
- World XC 0 Degrees And Snow On the Ground: What's The Craziest Weather Ever For World XC?
- XC Champs 2013... so much snow.
- LRC Pre World XC Siteseeing Photos
- LRC Flashback: World XC 2007: Controlled Chaos: Runners Passing Out In The Heat, People Hanging In The Trees
LRC Kim Conley Talks Prior To The 2013 World Cross-Country Championships Get the lowdown on the woman who has improved by more than a minute in the last 4 years in the 5k.
- LRC Chris Derrick Talks Prior To The 2013 World Cross-Country Championships Get the lowdown on how the guy who some call "the greatest runner never to win an NCAA Championship," who went on to win a US Championship in his very first race as a pro. How has his training changed, what does he think of life as a pro, what are his goals for World XC, and does he sleep in an altitude tent? Derrick tells all in this exclusive LetsRun.com interview.
NYC Half *Results/Splits *Photo Gallery
*Race Recap *Video Highlights
LRC LetsRun.com Analyzes The 2013 NYC Half/ With Post-Race Athlete Reaction What's the takeaway from Wilson Kipsang's 61:02 win, Ritz's 61:10 3rd place showing, and Bernard Lagat's half marathon debut? What about Caroline Rotich's win on the women's side and former CT state champ and Columbia runner Lisa Stublic, who was a surprising third (and now runs for Croatia) ahead of top American Stephanie Rothstein Bruce, who had a big PR?
LRC Wilson Kipsang And Caroline Rotich Win NYC Half (results and splits only) After a slow start at the NYC Half, Dathan Ritzenhein heated things up and then Wilson Kipsang took over, running to victory in 1:01:02 over Italy's Daniel Meucci and Ritz. Bernard Lagat ran 1:02:33 in his debut as he beat his training partner Abdi2. On the women's side Caroline Rotich led at 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, and the finish but it was far from easy. Early leader Kim Smith dropped out with a muscle strain and Rotich was caught by Diane Nukuri-Johnson and Lisa Stublic but held on for victory.
*OTB: LAGAT 1:02:33 for 12th at NYC half!!! Ritz 1:01:10 for 3rd *Jason Hartmann
- LRC Scandal At NYC Half As Favorite Kim Smith Eats A Cupcake And Wilson Kipsang Drinks A Coke The favorites Kim Smith and Wilson Kipsang went before the media on Friday and it was full-out scandal in NYC. Kim Smith ate a cupcake, and Wilson Kipsang had a non-diet Coke. Mayor Bloomberg had no comment. In less important news, Kipsang and Smith talked about their preparations for the race.
- LRC Janet Bawcom And Jason Hartmann Both American Stars, Both Pondering Their Future In The Sport
- Lagat And The FULL: Bernard Lagat Says If NYC Half Goes Well, He May Do A Full Marathon In The Fall He said it's "Very likely, very likely."
- LRC Bernard Lagat, Abdi Abdirahman and Dathan Ritzenhein are all running the 2013 NYC Half Marathon on Sunday with different objectives. For Lagat, it's his anticipated half marathon debut. Lagat sounds ready and has been training some with Abdi. For Abdi, the emphasis is on getting ready for the Boston Marathon next month. Abdi sounds off on that and the drug problem in the sport. For Ritz, there is no spring marathon or World XC. Can he regain his 1:00:00 form? Textual recaps coming. Interviews with all 3 below:
- LRC 8 Minutes With Lagat: Talks About His Half Debut And Taking On Farah And Rupp At Worlds In The 5,000m
- LRC Abdi Talks 4 Olympics, Training With Lagat And Sambu, Drugs In Marathoning, And Martin Fagan
- LRC Ritz Talks About The Half, No World XC, His Initial Success With Alberto, And Getting Back In Form In Chicago Last Year
2013 NCAA Indoor Championships *NCAA Results *Saturday Photo Gallery *Friday Photo Gallery *Men's DMR Photo Gallery *Women's DMR Photo Gallery *LRC Banquet Photos *Friday Photos *LRC Friday Interviews *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
The Coronation: Abbey D'Agostino Completes The Double
The NCAA has a new queen and American distance running may have its leading face for the next decade as D'Agostino became the first American 5,000 and 3,000 NCAA indoor champion ever, let alone at the same NCAA meet. Jordan Hasay finished second in what she called "probably the best race of my life." as she gave Oregon the points that gave them their 4th-straight team title. Emma Coburn won the mile and Natoya Goule the 800.
*Flash recaps - more later. In the meantime, check out:
*LRC Post-Race Video Interviews With Most Of Saturday's Major Players
LRC 5ks: Abbey D'Agostino And Kennedy Kithuka Dominate In Different Ways The women's 5,000 came down to the final mile between stars Abbey D'Agostino, Betsy Saina and Jordan Hasay - and it was no contest. D'Agostino was clearly best. On the men's side, Kennedy Kithuka put in an early surge and that was all it took despite a game effort by Diego Estrada to keep it honest throughout.
Oscar P's Bail Conditions Relaxed; He Can Now Race/Travel Abroad
- Oscar Pistrious Wins Bail Appeal, Getting Some Of His Bail Conditions Relaxed He is free to leave the country, compete overseas and could even run at
the Moscow World Championships. His agent says at this point he has no immediate plans to compete and it is "highly unlikely" he'll be at Worlds.
- Video Of Judge Making Annoucment Relaxing Bail Conditions
- IAAF Say They Won't Stop Pistorius From Competing At Worlds “On the basis of the ‘innocent until proven guilty’ principle"
- Annoymous Sources Say Pistorius Is Unlikely To Get Invites To Major Meets And Even That The IAAF Is Planning To Dissuade Them From Letting Him Compete "One source close to the IAAF said their biggest fear was a small meet wanting to make a name by bringing upon itself a media circus."
Today's Doping News
- Did Athletics Kenya Get A Warning From WADA That There Was Doping In Kenya Two Years Ago? "While the AK officials keep procrastinating over the issue, sometimes feigning ignorance, sometimes saying they have taken the fight a notch higher by engaging Government agencies ... the global agency forwarded a dossier to AK two years ago raising the red flag."
- GB's Former World 1500 Silver Medalist Lisa Dobriskey On Watching Turkish Doper Asli Cakir Alptekin Celebrate Her 1500
Gold: "It was horrible to see that athlete do a lap of honor...it made me sick." Dobriskey finished 4th back in Beijing 2008, only to have the woman who beat her for 3rd test positive 2 years later without her ban being backdated.
*Spikes Mag Interview With Dobriskey On Co-Owning A Chocolate Shop And The Challenge Of Not Eating It All
- Canada’s Hilary Stellingwerff Upset She Was Robbed Of An Olympic Final Berth By Doper Asli Cakir Alptekin "It was extremely frustrating to step on the line with her at the Olympics when I, and others, already had suspicions."
- WADA Defends HGH Test And Accuses NFL Players Union Of Being "Extremist" For Questioning Its Validity
- WSJ: In Cycling, Even Amateur "Weekend-Warrior" Athletes Are Getting Caught Doping
Upcoming Action This Weekend And April
- This Sunday: Usain Bolt To Race Over 150m On Rio de Janeiro's Famous Copacabana Beach Bolt has the world best of 14.35sec over 150m which he set back in 2009. He said, "I know a lot of things about Brazil, but the thing I know most about are the beaches and the girls on the beaches."
- April 6th: IAAF World Challenge Series Starts With Melbourne: Asafa Powell Highlights Greg Rutherford and Mitchell Watt are in the LJ.
- April 7th: Dathan Ritzenhein And Lisa Uhl Highlight Fields For Bank Of America Shamrock Shuffle 8k In Chicago The race also features as the USATF National Club Team 8 km Championships with Hansons-Brooks Distance Project sending a team that includes Bobby Curtis.
- April 7th: OlympiansJanet Cherebon-Bawcom, Jen Rhines and Colleen De Reuck Headline Field For US Women's 10 Mile Champs At Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run On the men’s side, last year’s winner, Allan Kiprono will face 2012 runner-up Lani Kiplagat.
- Rotterdam April 14th: IAAF Preview Women's Rotterdam Marathon: 2011 Runner-Up (2:24) Hilda Kibet Leads The Field Also in the field are 2:25 woman Misikir Mekonnin, last year's Boston runner-up Jemima Jelagat and the US's Adriana Nelson who is a former Chicago runner-up (PB: 2:28:52).
*Men: An Extremely Deep Field Is Set For Rotterdam Marathon Field includes proven stud marathoners in Berhanu Shiferaw (2:04:48 for 2nd in Dubai), Getu Feleke (last year's Rotterdam runner-up in 2:04:50), 2:05:25 man Bazu Worku, Tilahun Regassa (2:05:27 debut in Chicago), Wilson Chebet (2:05:27) and Sammy Kitwara (2:05:54). Also RAK half champ Geoffery Kipsang 58:54) and debutants Atsedu Tsegay (58:47) and John Nzau Mwangangi (59:45).
- Boston April 15th: LRC 2009 Boston Champ Deriba Merga Added To 2013 Boston Field Merga's marathon career hasn't gone well since he won in Boston in 2009. Here's our question for insiders: How do you get added to a marathon 2.5 weeks out? It's time to taper. Has he been training for the race hoping he'd get an invite or just training in general? Recent US citizen
Guor Marial has
with a foot injury.
*After A PR In NYC Half (1:10:53 For 9th Overall, Top American) Stephanie Rothstein-Bruce Is Looking Forward To Her First World Marathon Major At Boston An interesting fact: when her mom was pregnant with her, she flew from North Carolina to NYC the night before the delivery to have her in the same hospital as her brothers.
- Legendary SA Athlete Zola Budd Competing In This Year's Two Oceans And Comrades Marathons She'll be running the half-marathon at Two Oceans and the full ultra at Comrades marathon, and she says she's put in a lot of training for them.
- Annual SA Sub-Youth, Youth, Junior And Under-23 Championships Set For April 4th-6th
Lady Marathoners In The News: Paula May Be Done
- Paula Radcliffe Facing Fact That Her Career Might Be Over Due To Persistent Foot Injury "I'm very much in that limbo where I know and accept that realistically it may not be possible. But at the same time I have a little window of hope and
I would rather be able to finish my career in a race, rather than a race I can't actually get to the start line of."
*Good Read: Athletics Weekly Hits Out At Lack Of Respect For Paula Radcliffe In What They Call A "Medal-Obsessed Culture" Many (including those in the comment box of the BBC article) show their ignorance by criticizing Radcliffe as over-hyped and an underachiever simply because she doesn't have an Olympic medal.
- Long Video Interview Talking About Her Thoughts Ahead Of Next Month's Boston Marathon Talking about her relationship with Shalane Flanagan: "We both want to win Boston, we both want to win New York, we both want
to be back on the podium again in the track and we can't both do it. Only one person gets to cross that finish line first, but I think we've learned that we have a better chance of doing it by doing it
*Stats Show That Average Boston Marathon Weather Isn't As Crazy As You Think Boston has a reputation for some extreme weather, but average temperatures aren't that different from other major U.S. marathons held during the fall.
- Profile On Canadian Road Runner Lanni Marchant, Who Hit The Olympic "A" Finishing 5th At The Rotterdam Marathon Last Year But Didn't Go Because Of Canada's Tougher Standard She's been doing well on the Canadian Road circuit this year and will race the Toronto Yonge Street 10-K on April 21st.
Very Interesting: Anthony Famiglietti Blogs About The Use Of Thyroid Medication In Elite Distance Running "Here's the point. There are things out there some runner's are using to help maintain high performance that they may not actually need to live a normal everyday life. ... I do see some of them using whatever immediate options available to get the best results possible with long term well being becoming something of an afterthought."
Random International News
- Preview Of Two Oceans Marathon Set For Saturday In South Africa All four champions will be back to defend their titles: Stephen Muzhingi and Elena Nurgalieva in the ultramarathon, and Xolisa Tyali and René Kalmer in the half marathon.
- Over-Dramatic? Telegraph Writer Says When West Ham Moves Into The Olympic Stadium, Rival Soccer Club Leyton Orient Will "Suffer A Slow And Painful Death" Their stadium is located less than a mile from the Olympic stadium and they have argued they will not be able to compete with West Ham in ticket sales.
- Brazil's 2016 Olympic Stadium Closed Due To Safety Concerns With Structural Problems With The Roof
- EA Profile On Ukrainian Hammer Thrower Oleksandr Dryhol, Who Became The Oldest Ever To Compete In The Event At The Olympics At 46 He actually set his PR at 46 with 79.42m.
- RIP adidas Vice President Michael Riehl, Who Died Unexpectedly On Sunday At The Age Of 56
- Greek TJer Voula Papachristou, Who Missed Out On The London Games Last Year After She Made A Racist Tweet, Has Had Her Financial Benefits Suspended Due to "improper preparation and abstinence from competing."
Cycling: Pat McQuaid Facces Battle To Be Nominated By His Own Federation (Cycling Ireland) For Another Term As UCI President
You Might Want To Avoid This Latest Race-Gimmick: Runners Complain And Demand Money Back After "Neon Run" In Phoenix
Doctor Stops During Half Marathon To Help Collapsed Runner He even accompanied him to the hospital, but afterwards ran from the hospital back to the race course and finished.
- Boston Magazine Q&A With Shalane Flanagan Talking about her expectations for Boston: "I will certainly be pouting and pretty pissed off if I'm not
challenging for the win. That's the whole point. The reason I get up every day and bust my butt is thinking of the potential of winning it. I'll be fulfilling a lifelong dream, that's a consolation prize, but I want to be fighting for that win. If I'm not, I will be pissed."
*Shalane's Blog: The 3 Questions I'm Asked Most Often
- Deena Kastor to Compete In More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women's Half Marathon On April 14
- Defending Champions Heather Kampf And Craig Miller Returning To May 9th Medtronic TC 1 Mile
- USATF Extends CEO Max Siegel's Contract To 2018
More Dopers Hopefully Going Down: Spanish Anti-Doping Agency Demand Doctor In "Operacion Puerto" Doping Scandal (Eufemiano Fuentes) Hands Over Doping Evidence They want to have his entire client list, which includes athletes from track and field, cycling and other sports.
IAAF: 3-Time 800m World Champion Wilson Kipketer Gives Class To Russian Youth At Youth Spike Event Talking about his career (which he didn't start until he was 20), he said, "It took me seven years of training and learning to fulfill my dream of becoming a champion."
EA Obituary For 1950 GB's 1950 European 4 X 100 And LJ Champion No British athlete, before or since, has won European gold both on the track and in the field.
US Elites (Current, Former And Sub) In The News
- Good Coaching Advice: Ryan Hall Shares His Tips For High School Runners; Attributes To Success To Smart Coaching And Slow/Steady Progression In Mileage "When it comes time to decide how many miles in a week you should run, the most important thing to remember is that is better to be 20 miles a week undertrained then 1 mile per week overtrained."
- Jeff Demps Talks More About Prioritizing Track Over Football (Includes Video Interview With Demps And Justin Gatlin Talking Football Vs Track) On what he will say to Patriots coach Bill Belichick: "After the [track] season, if you guys are willing to let me come back - you know, probably midseason - and work out and train and get ready for the season, I'll be able to do that. If not, then I guess I'll just focus on running."
- Video Interview With Leo Manzano, Who Will Be Running The Carlsbad 5k This Year His PR is 14:49 from sophomore year of college.
- NCAA: Throwers Julian Wruck And Chelsea Cassulo Are DI National Athletes Of The Week Wruck threw a collegiate-leading 65.04m in the discus (the best collegiate throw since 2009) and Cassulo threw the 8th all-time collegiate best in the
weighthammer throw with 69.80m.
- Past Boston Champions Joan Samuelson, Greg Meyer & Amby Burfoot To Run Boston Marathon Samuelson won in 1979 and 1983, Meyer in 1983 and Burfoot in 1968.
- Adam Goucher's Book "Running The Edge" Chosen For All-School Reading Program At An Illinois High School
- MileSplit Video Interview With Olympic 400 Bronze Medalist Dee Dee Trotter
- US NACAC XC Champs Team Member Joe Moore Wins Irish 8k Run In 23:34 Over Former DIII National Champ Ben Sathre
*Q&A With Moore
- Grand Blue Mile Will Host 2013 And 2014 US 1 Mile Road Championships The 2013 race in on April 23rd.
Top International News
- Next Weekend: World Record Holder Zersenay Tadese Leads Field For Prague Half Next Weekend Also in the field is recent World XC bronze medalist Teklemariam Medhin (making his half debut), Philemon Limo (59:30), Pius Maiyo (59:25) and Daniel Chebii (59:49). The women's field is led by Worknesh Degafa (1:07:49), Gladys Cherono (1:08:18), Isabella Ochichi (1:08:38) and Waganesh Mekasha (1:08:48).
- UK's Daily Mail Reports That Mo Farah Will Get $1.1 Million To Race Half The London Marathon And Michael Johnson Has Warned Him Against It Johnson said, "The British public have come to adore his soft-spoken and humble demeanour, but now he risks ruining his reputation as his participation in only half the race looks like it is all about the money, and that leaves him open to criticism." Farah has said previously that the amount isn't that high.
- 12 Questions With Soon To Be First-Time Father Nick Willis Willis says if he wasn't running, he'd probably have hurt his body from rugby, skateboarding and snowboarding and that he has a dog named Tempo that runs with him.
- Why A 1,600? Craig Mottram Will Run His First Race Since London Games This Weekend At The Post Stawell Gift Meet In Australia He'll be racing the "Invitation 1,600m." Why are they running a 1,600 instead of a mile or 1,500?
- 5 Things You Should Know About NYC Half Runner-Up Diane Nukuri-Johnson "I would've been happy with a PB and finishing in the top 10. But sometimes you have to trust your fitness and ignore the voices in your head telling you that you might die if you get too aggressive."
The 40th World XC Championships *2013 World XC Results *LRC Video Interviews *LRC Course Photos *LRC Course Video Tour *LRC Post-Race Interviews *Race Video Highlights: Senior Men *Senior Women
LRC Women's Race: Emily Chebet Is Back And The US Gets Fourth We break down the women's action for you and give some love to Chebet, Neely Spence Gracey, Emily Infeld, Mattie Suver and the ageless Deena Kastor.
*Kenya: Junior Champ Faith Kipyegon Says She'll Be Stepping Down To Focus On The 1,500 Again For Track Last year she won World Junior Champs and went to the London Games, but didn't make it past the heats.
*Capital FM Looks At Kenyan Women's Team Finish
*GB: GB's Emilia Gorecka Leads Junior Women To A 3rd Place Team Finish This was the first time a GB junior team has made the podium and the the first medal for any GB team since 2004.
LRC Flash World XC Photo Gallery
SA Ultra Runner Ludwick Mamabolo, Who Was Suspended When He Failed A Drug Test After Winning The 2012 Comrades Marathon, Is Racing Two Oceans Marathon On Saturday He obtained an interdict to resume his career while his doping case was being finalized. So if he loses his case he will lose whatever title he earns at Two Oceans.
- Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Run (And Lose) Another 400 Bolt ran 46.44 at West Indies Invitational finishing 2nd to Nicholas Maithland (45.79), while Blake was in a different heat, finishing 2nd with
46.33 (actually a new PR for Blake) behind Allodin Fothergill (46.24).
*Video Of Bolt's Race
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Also Loses 400 At UWI Invy She was 5th in 56.63.
- Next Time You're In Jamaica: Usain Bolt Has His Own Club/Casino/Restaurant In Jamaica Called Tracks And Records
- UK 14-Year-Old Sprinter Ryan Gorman Runs 21.76 200 To Set A European Age Record, Which Is Faster Than Usain Bolt Ran At His Age (Bolt Ran 21.81) Even more impressive, Gorman's time was run on an indoor track and without starting blocks, compared to Bolt's outdoor mark.
More Non-World XC Weekend Results: Edna Kiplagat Wins Lisbon Half
- World Marathon Champion Edna Kiplagat Wins Lisbon Half Marathon In 1:08:48 In Windy Condtions Two-time World 5,000m silver medallist Sylvia Kibet was 4th while Bernard Koech won the men's race in 59:54.
- Kenyans Kiprop Limo (1:01:49) And Pauline Kahenya (1:11:19) Take Titles At Cold/Rainy Stramilano Half Marathon In Milan
- Embarrassing Mistake At NZ National Champs Leads To Shot Put Having To Be Re-Contested Officials found that an underweight shot had accidentally been mixed in with the other implements and there was no way to know who used it. They redid the event and finished with the same winner as the first time.
Pre-World XC News
- Pre-Race Day - Mid-Day Update:
LRC Pre-Race Buzz From The 2013 World Cross-Country Championships The races are less than 16 hours away. What's the buzz in Poland? We give you insight from US runners Deena Kastor and Ben True. Did you know that Dave Smith goes way back with Keith Hanson of the Hansons-Brooks team? Plus an unconfirmed sighting of a coach who is never photographed.
LRC Former XC Skier Ben True Talks To LetsRun (video) True, who now shares the same coach as Abbey D'Agostino (Mark Coogan), seems to be in excellent shape as he just won the US 15k.
LRC Deena Kastor Speaks To LetsRun (video) How do you run the world's toughest race just 7 days after running a marathon at age 40?
- Press Conference:
- IAAF President Lamine Diack Speaks "I also want to say that although we are in Europe, many European countries are not competing here, no one from the Balkan countries, no one from the Scandinavian area, many countries are not here ... I hope that is not because East Africa is winning a lot of the time."
- WELL SAID: Paul Tergat: "I think it is high time that cross country running is included in the Olympics, it's a phenomenal event and it deserves its place on the Olympic stage."
- Athletics Weekly Recap Of Press Conference
- IAAF Press Conference Highlights
Kenyan News: Two More Kenyan Drug Busts
- Two Kenyan Female Marathoners Get 2-Year Doping Bans Last year's women's Stanchart Nairobi Marathon champ Salome Jerono Biwott and little-known Jynocel Basweti Onyancha. We love how the article refers to the banned list as the "doping list of shame."
- We Think He Has This Backwards: Olympic Silver Medalist Abel Kirui Says He Wants To Top Patrick Makau's WR At The Moscow World Championships This Summer He wants to use next month's London Marathon to "gauge his speed" and doesn't think the WR can go down then because it will be too "tactical."
Today's Top Headlines: Ethiopian 10k Trials At Pre, Caster Semenya Engaged?
- Pre Classic 10k Races Selected As Ethiopian Men And Women's World Champs Trials They hosted the Kenyan men's 10k Trials last year, but this year the race will be open to athletes from any nation.
- Semenya Engaged? SA Tabloids Report That Caster Semenya Is Engaged To Fellow Athlete Violet Raseboya Semenya was angry about the article, but at least in this article said nothing to deny it stating, "I really have nothing to say about that article."
- Former 1,500 WR Holder Sydney Maree Released From South African Prison Where He Spent 21 Months After Being Charged With Illegally Transferring Money Maree is SA born, but gained American citizenship and set the AR for 5k and was also a seven-time NCAA champion and still holds the recod for the Fifth Avenue Mile at 3:47.
LA Marathon *Full Results
- Kenya's Erick Mose Wins LA Marathon In 2:09:44 As Belarus' Aleksandra Duliba Takes The Women's Race In Her Debut Setting A NR With 2:26:08 Deena Kastor was the top American woman in 3rd in 2:32:39, saying she had an upset stomach and a little tightness: "I gave a 100 percent effort on an 80 percent day." *MB: 2:32:39 for Deena
- 2:11 Man Nick Arciniaga Disappointed By His 2:17 7th Place Finish At The LA Marathon He was hoping to be under 2:10, but said, "I don't know why, my legs just weren't there. Some days, it just feels weird and you don't have it."
- LA Times Race Play-By-Play: Aleksandra Duliba Wins LA Marathon $50,000 Gender Bonus Finishing 2:09 Ahead Of The Top Men's Finisher Erick Mose
- The LA Times: "Does Los Angeles have a shot at hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics?" They have the fan base, sporting venues and favorable climate, but still face some obstacles such as cost, familiarity (they've already hosted twice) and any ill feelings left over from the USOC-IOC revenue sharing disagreement.
More Results On The Roads: Kawauchi PRs Again
- Seoul Marathon: Kenya's Franklin Chepkwony Wins In 2:06:59 Over Ethiopia's Leche Shumi Dechase (2:07:12) & Seboka Dibaba Tola (2:07:27) Kenyan Filomena Chepchirchir won the women's race in 2:25:43. Chepkwony won $80,000 for winning the race sub-2:10.
*Yuki Kawauchi Gets 4th At Seoul Marathon With A 1-Second PR Of 2:08:14 He set a new WR for the shortest time ever between sub-2:10 performances, 42 days. What's even crazier is he was disappointed, saying, "I was aiming for 2:07 in this race. It was an incredible waste."
Lolo Jones' Passion For Bobsled: Lolo Jones: "If I won a freakin' medal - if I won any medal - I would not be a bobsledder. Absolutely not. Are you kidding me? No. No!" "I'm so desperate. Desperate. It absolutely doesn't matter (whether she wins in the Winter or Summer Games.)"
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.
NY Times: "After The Mile: The Tim Danielson Story"
- Recommended Read: NY Times Piece On The Life And Tragedy Of Tim Danielson, The Second US Prep To Go Sub-4 In The Mile Danielson is currently in jail facing charges from last year for the murder of his ex-wife.
*MB: Tim Danielson-New York Times extensive article *Tragic News: Tim Danielson (Sub-4 Runner in HS) Allegedly Kills Wife/Survives Suicide Attempt
2013 NCAAs *NCAA Results *Saturday Photo Gallery *Friday Photo Gallery *Men's DMR Photo Gallery *Women's DMR Photo Gallery *LRC Banquet Photos *Friday Photos *LRC Friday Interviews *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
LRC M Mile/3k:
What A Double - The Great Lawi Lalang Is Back Lalang, who up until this time last year was viewed as unbeatable at the NCAA level, got his mojo back with some major style points thrown in as he had one of the greatest nights in NCAA history, as he won both the mile (3:54) and 3,000 (7:45) in meet records. The Arkansas Razororbacks won NCAA title #41.
LRC 800s/W Mile: Elijah Greer Outduels Cas Loxsom; Emma Coburn Adds The Mile Title To Her Résumé And Natoya Goule Wins NCAA Title #1 The men's 800 ended up being the mano vs. mano battle between the two American seniors that everyone wanted to see - Greer and PSU's Casimir Loxsom with Greer coming out on top.
AP Recap: Arkansas Gets Its 20th Indoor Title And 1st Under Coach Chris Bucknam It's NCAA title #41 for the program as legend John McDonnell won 40.
*LRC Coach Chris Bucknam And John McDonnell Talk About Bucknam's NCAA Title #1
*Oregonian: Oregon Wins Its 4th Straight Women's Indoor Title
- Oklahoma's Tia Brooks Sets Collegiate Shot Put Record
- Olympic Bronze Medallist Derek Drouin PRs And Wins Sensational Men's HJ Competition He went 7'8.5" to win an event where 7 guys went 7'5" or higher and three 7'6" or higher. *LRC Interview With Drouin Where He Explains Why He Came Back To Indiana
- Geogia Freshman Shaune Miller Wins Great Women's 400 In 50.88
- Coburn Is 1st Mile Champ Ever From Colorado, Male Or Female
- Greer On 800: "I feel so tired it's ridiculous."
- IAAF NCAA Recap: Lalang's 2 Meet records, Tia Brooks' NCAA SP Record, And Arkansas' 4 X 400 NCAA Record (3:03.50) Highlight
Weekend NCAA Action *All College Coverage/Results *Stanford Entry Lists/Schedule/Results
- Stanford: Good Q&A With Jordan Hasay Ahead Of Her 10,000 Debut She said "The whole idea right now is to just try it out" but that she thinks the 10k will be her best event and could be what she runs at NCAAs.
*Running Times Previews The Super-Deep Fields For This Weekend's Stanford Invitational Betsy Saina and Lisa Uhl are in the 5,000. Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher and Jordan Hasay in the 10k.
*USTFCCCA Preview Paul Chelimo, Leonard Korir, Andy Bayer in 5000 Elijah Greer and Oklahoma’s Riley Masters in 1500 *RunnerSpace Preview
*Full Stanford Entry Lists
*MB: STANFORD INVITATIONAL ENTRY SHEETS
- Texas Relays: AP Article: "Texas Relays Clouded By Scandal Over Track Program"The scandal they refer to is the resignation of women's track coach Bev
Kearney over revelations that she had a relationship with an athlete in 2002. Kearney has since filed formal federal and state race and gender discrimination complaints.
*Former Blue Devil Curtis Beach Leads Decathlon After Day 1
- USTFCCCA Preview/Events To Watch Kansas State's Olympic silver medalist Eirk Kynard and Indiana’s bronze medalis Derek Drouin will clash in the HJ.
*Elite Entry Lists: *Men Trey Hardee is in the 110H. *Women
*Meet Website *Schedule *Live Results/Heat Sheets
- Rankings: T&F News Rankings Have Oregon Women Winning NCAAs By 1 Point Over LSU With Kansas And Texas A&M A Close 3-4
*Oregonian's Ken Goe Comments On The Rankings
*T&F News Rankings Have Texas A&M men Winning NCAAs By 2 Points Over Florida With Indoor Champs Arkansas Well Beaten In 3rd
- Nike Lawyers Have Called For Changes To UKA Contract For British Track Athletes Requiring Them To Do Promotional Work In Adidas-Branded GB Clothing Some Nike athletes including Mo Farah, Greg Rutherford and Dai Greene have held off signing until the matter is resolved.
- Spikes-Mag Q&A With Olympic Discus Champ Robert Harting Who's Favorite Pre-Competition Snack Is Four Coffees
- Video: Corrosion Visible On Roof Of Rio's Closed Olympic Stadium
- Jessica Ennis Granted "Freedom Of Sheffield", The Highest Civic Honor Her Home City Can Bestow On Her
- IAAF Releases World Athletics Series 2008-2011 E-Book The e-book contains stats/results and details from all IAAF World Athletics Series events between 2008 and 2011 and the 2008 Olympic Games.
Ben True: Beast
Chris Derrick On 10th Place And Silver
Watch Bronze Turn To Silver
Doper #1 Suing Doper #2: Turkey's Former 1,500 Euro Champ Süreyya Ayhan Kop Suing
Olympic 1,500 Champ Aslı Çakır Alptekin For Part Of Her Winnings, Claiming She Gave Her Doping Coaching Advice The biggest joke is the last line of the article saying how both athletes (one serving a lifetime
ban the other about to) "have been role models
for young Turkish sports people, particularly girls."
Non-World XC News
- Turkey's Cakir Alptekin Reportedly Has Violated Biological Passport And Will Face Lifetime Ban - Will Silver Medallist Go By Wayside As Well? "Immediately after the London Olympic Games we discovered abnormalities. We have seen big abnormalities and it is not the only case from Turkey. More are coming." *MB: Alpetkin Tests Positive
- Patrick Makau Says He's In Best Shape Ever - Won't Be Surprised If He Or Another Kenyan Breaks WR In London "I am in a better shape. Obviously as the holder of the world record, I hope I will break the time I set in Berlin. But I wouldn't be surprised if any of us breaks the record as we have been running very good times recently."
RIP Former 200m WR Holder Pietro Mennea
- Italy's Former 200m WR Holder And Olympic Champ Pietro Mennea Has Died At Age 60 Mennea broke the record in 1979 with 19.72 and held the record for 17 years until Michael Johnson ran 19.66 in 1996. His 19.72 is still the European record.
*Pietro Mennea Obituary
- IAAF Bio/Tribute On Mennea, Who Was The First Man To Compete In 4 Successive Olympic 200m Finals
- Video Clips Of Mennea Including A Shot Of His 200m WR
- Mennea Admitted Using HGH For The 1984 Season, Although He Used It Before It Was Banned Later on as an EU minister, Mennea actually campaigned for tougher sanctions against dopers in sport saying, "We need to remove the anti-doping responsibility from sports bodies such as the IOC and introduce a criminal law."
- EA Tribute: "In Less Than 20 Seconds, Mennea Created A Lightning Bolt Legacy Of His Own
LRC Yuki Kawauchi PRs (Again), Ryan Hall Withdraws (Again), Deena Doesn't Break 2:30 (Again) Ryan Hall's Boston DNS isn't all bad, as we try to give you some good training advice from him as a result. We also tell you why hammer throwers are the most entertaining people in the sport and repeat, "Free Jenkins." We also ponder if Deena will ever break 2:30 again and are pleased to see Julia Lucas back competing.
NYC Photo Gallery (Updated On 3/20)
NYC Half Video Highlights
Common Trend: 4 Russian Swimmers Caught Doping; Russian Swimming Almost Gets A 24-Month Suspension From International Swimming Federation The rules say that "4 positives from one nation within a 12 month period results in the FINA member federation being suspended in its entirety for 24 months." However, Russia got out of it on a loophole. 3 of the 4 were suspended while the 4th, who is only 14 years old, was given a warning.
"Brilliant Video Interview" (Those Aren't Our Words): Lagat Making His Half Marathon Debut (More Here)
Ritz At The NYC Half (More Here)
Three Cheers For Abdi Sounding Off On Drug Cheats (Abdi Talks His Training Here)
Abbey D'Agostino: Double NCAA Champion
WWLD (What Would Lance Do?) In Wake Of Embarrassing Number Of Doping Offenses, Russia Offers To Donate An Extra $390,000 A Year To WADA
Jenn Suhr World Record *Photos
Jenn Suhr Breaks World Record Suhr was perfect all day until she broke the world record at 5.02 meters. She then attempted 3 times at 5.07 (the highest vault indoors or out).
*Video Of World Record Vault
*Reuters: "Gritty Suhr Happy To Finally Reach New Heights"
Jerry's Boys Take On The Big Apple
LRC Lopez Lomong Sets New American Indoor 5,000 Record - Runs 13:07.00!!! We recap the historic night in NYC that saw Lomong get the AR, Chris Derrick get the "A" at 13:12.00 and the rest of Jerry's boys struggle a bit at the end as the pace was super hot. Includes exclusive post-race interviews that include Teg, Lomong, and Derrick, who talks about German Fernandez and Alan Webb.
*Photo Gallery *Race Video *Post-Race Interviews *Race Results Weekly
*Great News From Another Schumacher Stud: Chris Solinsky's 1st Track Race In Nearly Two Years Is Successful - Dominant 8:05 Win At UW