Week in Review
LRC WTW: Mary Cain Vs D'Agostino, Lawi Lalang's Double vs Galen Rupp's Triple, Eric Jenkins, and The Greatest High School Finish Ever? Abbey D'Agastino and Lawi Lalang stole the show at NCAAs, but Jordan Hasay ended her NCAA indoor career with an impressive feat. Plus, Eric Jenkins turned a few heads and we have a must, must watch video if you have 90 seconds to spare from the NBIN.
Usain Bolt And Jessica Ennis Win World Sportsman & Sportswoman Of The Year At Laureus World Sports Awards
*Video of Ennis accepting
*Video of Usain Bolt's Hologram accepting the award Not sure why, but Bolt coudln't make it so his Hologram accepted for him.
News From Africa
competitors expect at National Bank of Kenya/Athletics Kenya track and field meeting this weekend which will select Penn Relays teams
- Maria Mutola says Caster Semenya's training "is good."
- Guy who beat Oscar P in 200 at Paralympics is "very sorry for what happpened"
- UK Runner - Runners were way faster 30 years ago - is it because of their old-school training? He's gonna find out. The 30 minute 10ker is going to do the same training his coach did in the early 1980s. Follow his quest as he chronicles it on this blog: Acceptable in the 80s.
- Jessica Ennis and her coach like plans for new track that will replace demolished £29million Don Valley Stadium *Details of new Don Valley track
- London Marathon chief executive Nick Bitel applies to be chair of Sport England.
- Chris Thompson, like Mo Farah, will be moving to roads soon
- Are All Women Runners at Risk for Iron Deficiency? A small study suggests so We'd go farther and say all runners - including males - are at risk.
NCAA And Other Post-Weekend News
- Typical NCAA Red Tape: Sami Spenner, The 2nd Highest Scoring Pentathlete This Year Wasn't Allowed To Compete At NCAAs Due To Her School Undergoing Reclassification Nebraska/Omaha coach, Steve Smith: “The NCAA can call it what they want and they can give reasons for what they want, [but] there are no logical reasons. ... The only thing it does is hurt a team or an athlete.”
- UO Team Has Rough Ride Home & Spends An Unscheduled Night In Texas After Weather Problems Cause A Missed Connection
- Man With Brain Cancer Wins Marathon In 3:07 While Pushing His Daughter In A Stroller Iram Leon: "This is supposed to eat away at my memory in the end. But I hope this memory is one of the last things to go and one [my daughter] never loses."
- Race Video Of Sydney Track Classic 1500: Nick Willis Over Ryan Gregson
- Dennis Musau Wins Bildad Kaggia Half-Marathon In Kenya In 1:04:35
- Woman Finishes Marathon After Breaking Ankle After Only 3 Kilometers In She finished last in 9 hours.
World XC Is March 24th: Mercy Cherono And Vincent Chepkok Off Kenyan Team
- World Junior XC Champ Mercy Cherono And 2011 Bronze Medalist Vincent Chepkok Dropped From Kenya's World XC Teams 2010 champ Emily Chebet now leads the women's team.
*This article says Cherono is still recovering from the flu.
- World XC Champs Runners Should Be Ready For Harsh Winter Weather In Poland Later This Month wThe Polish Trials were this past weekend in snowy, cold and windy conditions.
- UK Junior XC Runner Emelia Gorecka: “I want to challenge the Africans and whoever is up there because that's the point of World Cross - to compete against the best in the world."
- Other Upcoming: David Rudisha Running In May 10th Doha Diamond League Meet
- Olympic Champs Greg Rutherford And Felix Sanchez Announced For May 25th Great CityGames Manchester
MB: Something to ponder, Mary Cain beat Emma Coburn (NCAA mile champ) and Abbey D'Agostino (NCAA 3k/5k) prior to 2013 NCAAs What event(s) might Cain have won at NCAAs?
*Mary Cain Feature In Her Local Paper Not only is she incredible at running, she has a 4.2 GPA.
2013 NCAA Indoor Championships *NCAA Results *Saturday Photo Gallery *Friday Photo Gallery *Men's DMR Photo Gallery *Women's DMR Photo Gallery *LRC Banquet Photos *Friday Photos *LRC Friday Interviews *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
The Coronation: Abbey D'Agostino Completes The Double
The NCAA has a new queen and American distance running may have its leading face for the next decade as D'Agostino became the first American 5,000 and 3,000 NCAA indoor champion ever, let alone at the same NCAA meet. Jordan Hasay finished second in what she called "probably the best race of my life." as she gave Oregon the points that gave them their 4th-straight team title. Emma Coburn won the mile and Natoya Goule the 800.
*Flash recaps - more later. In the meantime, check out:
*LRC Post-Race Video Interviews With Most Of Saturday's Major Players
Meanwhile, On The Boards:
- Elijah Greer Rocks The Long Hair To The Win!
- JENKINS WOULD HAVE WON IF ERASSA DIDNT CUT HIM OFF
- LAWI LALANG DROPS EVERYBODY!!
- Will the Oregon women be the only team ever to win Cross indoor and outdoors in the same year
- WOO HOOO --LADY DUCKS WIN IT IN AN UPSET - 4TH IN A ROW
- ABBY D doubles up in 9:01.05
- Mark Coogan Training??
Abbey D'Agostino And Kennedy Kithuka Dominate In Different Ways
The women's 5,000 came down to the final mile between stars Abbey D'Agostino, Betsy Saina and Jordan Hasay - and it was no contest. D'Agostino was clearly best. On the men's side, Kennedy Kithuka put in an early surge and that was all it took despite a game effort by Diego Estrada to keep it honest throughout.
*Friday Photo Gallery Here *Friday Video Highlights From NCAA (1:24) *LRC Friday Interviews
Meanwhile, On The Boards:
- Abbey D Just Crushed a 31:15 Woman
- Elijah Greer Rocking the Long Hair
- BRACY - OUT Change the rule!!!
- Running People in DMR who Made Mile Final
Friday NCAA Indoor Photo Gallery
US Indoor Champs *Results *LRC Saturday Photos *LRC Sunday Photos *LRC Lomong American Record Photos *5k Record Was Friday Night In NY
Day 2: LRC Mary Cain Dominates & Wins Her First US Indoor Title Cain was simply brilliant and
thrashed the field. In
the process, she showed a technical savvy and closing speed way beyond her years.
*Sunday Photo Gallery *Video Of Cain's Win
*LRC Rest Of Mid-D & Distance Action: Will Leer Completes Heart-Warming Double As Erik Sowinski's Dream Season Continues And Teen Phenom Ajee Wilson Joins Cain In Winner's Circle The 2013 USA indoor meet ended up being fantastic from a fan's perspective. With his cancer-stricken father in the stands, Leer found the guts to complete the 3k/mile double as Erik Sowinski just held off Robby Andrews and Wilson led throughout.
*Short On Time? Men's 800 Recap Only
*Women's 800 Recap Only
*Men's Mile Recap Only
*USATF Recap Of Day 2 Ryan Whiting threw a world leader in the shot put (21.80), Mississippi State's D'Angelo Cherry ran the world's 3rd-fastest 60m of the year (6.49 - world leader is 6.48) and 2004 Olympic gold medallist Jeremy Wariner won his first-ever US indoor crown with a 45.82 clocking (#4 in the world).
*AP Recap Of USAs From A Guy Who Clearly Doesn't Cover Track
More 2013 USA Indoor News
Updated: LRC Day 1 Distance: Chelsea Reilly Wins National Title As Lisa Uhl Nearly Impales Herself, Will Leer Dominates
Chelsea Reilly won her first national title in NASCAR fashion as she and Lisa Uhl collided right before the finish with Uhl catapulting herself head first off the track. Fortunately, both women survived without serious injury. Will Leer dominated the men's as expected. Can he pull off the 3k/mile double tomorrow? In the 800, the "names" - Mulder, Andrews, Centro, Sowinski - all advanced except for Mark Wieczorek.
(Video of 3k finish in article or to right on homepage)
Stockholm Meet *Results
LRC Friday Tidbits From Stockholm: Update On Galen Rupp's Record, Plus Dibaba News We've got splits for Galen Rupp's last 600m, plus news that Genzebe Dibaba is
not now coached by Jama Aden, the coach to Taoufik Makhloufi, who has strong USA ties.
On The Boards: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy
LRC Galen Rupp 7:30.16 American Record! Aregawi Just Misses 1,500m World Record Galen Rupp's tremendous 2013 continued with his finest performance yet. Not only did he get the American record, but perhaps most importantly he got his first European win of note. The other big news was new Swedish citizen, Abeba Aregawi, just missing the world record by .12 in the women's 1,500m. In other action, Genzebe Dibaba blitzed an 8:26.57, Mohammed Aman ran a world leader in the 800m, and Matt Centrowitz came up well short of the American 1,000m record. Flash recap.
*IAAF Recap: Olympic Silver Medallist Yarisley Silva Breaks Her Own Cuban Record And Sets World Lead In PV With 4.71m Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce set a PR in her 2nd-ever 60m to win with 7.04.
*Pre-Race Interview With Rupp
On The Boards: *Rupp 7:30.18!!! *GALEN RUPP NEW 3000 AR 7:30.18 *STOCKHOLM MEET updates! *Galen Rupp Will NOT Break U.S. 3000m Record In Stockholm
Citing tightness in his calves, Meb pulls out of this weekend's NYC Half Meb said he recently had 2 great months of training and called this "one of the most difficult decisions in my career."
4 Interesting Reads
- Downthebackstretch catches up with Will Leer after his Albuquerque double
- Lengthy Track and Field News Interview with Centro
- 3 months ago Diego Estrada was injured and couldn't break 15 flat for 5k, now he's just run 13:30/7:49 at NCAAs
- In Sickness & In Health
LA Marathon will be 60th of career for 77-year old who runs thinking of his MS stricken wife He cares for her full-time when not running. "My life is pretty simple. It's all about taking the next step … just take the next step."
World XC Is Next Weekend
- UK World XC Team Announced23-strong GB & NI team is announced for IAAF World Cross Country Championships
- Bahrain sending 1-man 6-woman team to World XC
- Rwanda will send 5 men to world xc
- Tanzania XC champs were last weekend
News From Jamaica
- Boys and Girls Champs underway in Jamaica - Edwin Allen heavily favored on girls' side
- Defending 200/400 champ Shericka Jackson wants to make her dad proud
NYC Half And LA Marathon Are This Sunday
- Good LA Times Article On Deena Kastor And Her Decision To Run The LA Marathon Which She Says She's Aiming To Win Husband/coach Andrew Kastor: "She's not blessed with fast twitch muscles, she doesn't have a big kick, but she does have a ginormous VO2 max, that engine that feeds the body. Her strategy is usually to take it out hard then run scared."
- 8 Questions With Nick Arciniaga Ahead Of The LA Marathon
- RW Q&A With Guor Marial On His Recent Dual US/South Sudan Dual Citizenship And His Thoughts Ahead Of The Boston Marathon He's also running the NYC Half this weekend.
- NYRR: 5 Things You Should Know About Stotan Racing Athlete Maegan Krifchin Ahead Of Sunday's NYC Half She's the only woman in the training group and qualified for the Olympic Trials last year with a half-marathon time, but decided she wasn't ready for the full distance yet.
The Top Training Partners On The Planet
- Mo Farah Says He Misses UK Soccer Games But Enjoys Going Out To Stores Or Restaurants Without People Knowing Who He Is Salazar: "Without Galen Rupp, Mo Farah doesn't win two gold medals. Without Mo Farah, Galen Rupp doesn't win a silver medal ... In distance running right now, there are probably
not two partners who are that good anywhere."
- IAAF Galen Rupp Profile: "At some point I would like to know that I’m the best in the world."
- Seb Coe Says Closure Of Sheffield Stadium Is Not "Quite The Way It Is Being Portrayed As Loss Of A Track Facility" Since They Are Replacing It
- Jessica Ennis Has Offered To Give Input From An Athlete's Perspective On The Replacing Of Sheffield's Don Valley Stadium
- British Runner Giving Up Modern Philosophies/Science And Returning To "Old-School" Training Techniques Of The 1980's To Try And Get Faster His line of thinking is that British marathoning was better in the 80's than it is today, however he should consider that doped women's records aside, world records have gotten much faster since the 80's.
2013 NCAAs *NCAA Results *Saturday Photo Gallery *Friday Photo Gallery *Men's DMR Photo Gallery *Women's DMR Photo Gallery *LRC Banquet Photos *Friday Photos *LRC Friday Interviews *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
LRC M Mile/3k:
What A Double - The Great Lawi Lalang Is Back Lalang, who up until this time last year was viewed as unbeatable at the NCAA level, got his mojo back with some major style points thrown in as he had one of the greatest nights in NCAA history, as he won both the mile (3:54) and 3,000 (7:45) in meet records. The Arkansas Razororbacks won NCAA title #41.
LRC 800s/W Mile: Elijah Greer Outduels Cas Loxsom; Emma Coburn Adds The Mile Title To Her Résumé And Natoya Goule Wins NCAA Title #1 The men's 800 ended up being the mano vs. mano battle between the two American seniors that everyone wanted to see - Greer and PSU's Casimir Loxsom with Greer coming out on top.
AP Recap: Arkansas Gets Its 20th Indoor Title And 1st Under Coach Chris Bucknam It's NCAA title #41 for the program as legend John McDonnell won 40.
*LRC Coach Chris Bucknam And John McDonnell Talk About Bucknam's NCAA Title #1
*Oregonian: Oregon Wins Its 4th Straight Women's Indoor Title
- Oklahoma's Tia Brooks Sets Collegiate Shot Put Record
- Olympic Bronze Medallist Derek Drouin PRs And Wins Sensational Men's HJ Competition He went 7'8.5" to win an event where 7 guys went 7'5" or higher and three 7'6" or higher. *LRC Interview With Drouin Where He Explains Why He Came Back To Indiana
- Geogia Freshman Shaune Miller Wins Great Women's 400 In 50.88
- Coburn Is 1st Mile Champ Ever From Colorado -Male Or Female
- Greer On 800: "I feel so tired it's ridiculous."
- IAAF NCAA Recap: Lalang's 2 Meet records, Tia Brooks' NCAA SP Record, And Arkansas' 4 X 400 NCAA Record (3:03.50) Highlight
Vig Does It Again With Princeton, Michigan Woman Win Coach Jason Vigilante's mid-d magic continued at the NCAA meet this time at his third school - Princeton. The Ivy Leaguers got the NCAA title thanks to a blistering final 200m by Belgian-American Peter Callahan. The Michigan woman passed up on individual success to get the team DMR title.
LRC Miles & 800 Prelims: Emma Coburn Cruises, Favorites Advance In Men's Mile, The #1 Seed Crashes Out In Men's 800, LSU Looks To Go 1-2 In Women's 800
More NCAA Day 1 News:
- Arizona Sr. (And Olympic Silver Medallist) Brigetta Barrett Becomes 1st Woman In NCAA History To Win Three Consecutive Indoor High Jump Titles She came up short on three attempts at the collegiate record.
- Unreal: Florida State's #1 And #2 Ranked 60m Sprinters False Start In Consecutive Heats In Same Lane And Are Booted From Meet Coach Bob Braman called it "the most improbable script."
- Texas A&M's Ameer Webb Defends NCAA Indoor 200m Title, Records World-Leading Time (20.37)
- Georgia Frosh Shaunae Miller Blazes 51.14 In 400 (2013 World #3)
- Down To His Last Vault, Andrew Irwin Stays Alive And Then PRs At 18-8.25 To Defend His PV Title For Host Hogs, Who Lead After Day 1 Arkansas did better than expected in the LJ as well but lost the #1 seed in the 800. But they also lead the multi.
Whom To Believe?
- Oregonian: Ducks Women's Track Team Struggles At NCAA Indoor Championships
- Jesse Squire Projecting Oregon Women To Win After Day 1? (And Arkansas Men)
IAAF Names More 2005 Dopers: 4 Belarusians And 2 Russians
IAAF Reveal 6 More Positive Tests From 2005 Helsinki Retests Shot putter Nazdeya Ostapchuk, who was stripped of her London Olympic gold,
the list of Belarusians
that also includes Ivan Tsikhan and Vadim Devyatovskiy, the gold and silver medallists in the men’s hammer in Helsinki,
and Andrew Mihhnevich, who finished 6th in the shot put final. The two Russians were women's hammer gold medalist Olga Kuzenkova and long jump silver medallist Tatiana Kotova.
2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix *NBIGP Results LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
Men's 3k: LRC Galen Rupp Is Defeated As Hagos Gebrhiwet Sets New World Junior 3,000 Record Of 7:32.87
Women's 2-Mile: LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:38.68 For 2 Miles - The Greatest Distance Performance In US HS Girls History Tirunesh Dibaba was way ahead of the field as she won in 9:13.17.
LRC The Rest Of The 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix - Centro, Lakhouad And Wright Win As Suhr Takes Crack At AR
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18-minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Abbey D'Agastino Double NCAA Champion
Mark Coogan: Olympian, Coach of Double NCAA Champ Abbey D'Agostino, And Father of Abbey's Competitor Katrina
Oscar Pistorius News
- Oscar P's Family Say That He Is Not Suicidal However, they admitted that his "legal expenses are massive" and he's had to sell off some investments including his racehorses.
- Alan Oliveira (Paralympian Who Beat Oscar P In The 200) Says "I do not consider Oscar an enemy."
*Oliveira Says Paralympic Movement Will Suffer With Loss Of Pistorius
WWLD (What Would Lance Do?) In Wake Of Embarrassing Number Of Doping Offenses, Russia Offers To Donate An Extra $390,000 A Year To WADA
Interesting: Netherlands Sprinter Churandy Martina Is The Only Athlete To Appear In Each Of Usain Bolt's Four Individual Olympic Finals In Beijing & London He says that he thinks Bolt and Blake are "beatable."
Interesting Read: Pat Butcher Looks At The History Of Sexism In The World Of Running Over The Years Muslim clerics not wanting women to run now is just the latest in a long line of insults thrown at women in athletics during the last 100+ years.
Week That Was
LRC WTW Forget About Jenn Suhr, Lopez And Mary Cain: The Best Closes In Track History, Meet Brannon Kidder, Erik Sowinski's HS Coach, Praise From Nick Willis, And An Apology To Kara Goucher On a week that saw Lopez Lomong's AR on Friday, Jenn Suhr's world record on Saturday and Mary Cain making history on Sunday, we cover everything else making news in the running world.
Jenn Suhr World Record *Photos
Jenn Suhr Breaks World Record Suhr was perfect all day until she broke the world record at 5.02 meters. She then attempted 3 times at 5.07 (the highest vault indoors or out).
*Video Of World Record Vault
*Reuters: "Gritty Suhr Happy To Finally Reach New Heights"
Jerry's Boys Take On The Big Apple
LRC Lopez Lomong Sets New American Indoor 5,000 Record - Runs 13:07.00!!! We recap the historic night in NYC that saw Lomong get the AR, Chris Derrick get the "A" at 13:12.00 and the rest of Jerry's boys struggle a bit at the end as the pace was super hot. Includes exclusive post-race interviews that include Teg, Lomong, and Derrick, who talks about German Fernandez and Alan Webb.
*Photo Gallery *Race Video *Post-Race Interviews *Race Results Weekly
*Great News From Another Schumacher Stud: Chris Solinsky's 1st Track Race In Nearly Two Years Is Successful - Dominant 8:05 Win At UW