2013 NCAA Indoor Championships *NCAA Schedule/Results/Start Lists/Streaming (Field/Multi Starts @ 11:55AM ET/Main ESPN3 Stream @ 6:55PM ET) *LRC Banquet Photos *Friday Photos
Abbey D'Agostino And Kennedy Kithuka Dominate In Different Ways
The women's 5,000 came down to the final mile between stars Abbey D'Agostino, Betsy Saina and Jordan Hasay - and it was no contest. D'Agostino was clearly best. On the men's side, Kennedy Kithuka put in an early surge and that was all it took despite a game effort by Diego Estrada to keep it honest throughout.
More Coming: Friday Photo Gallery Here
Meanwhile, On The Boards:
- Abbey D Just Crushed a 31:15 Woman
- Elijah Greer Rocking the Long Hair
- BRACY - OUT Change the rule!!!
- Running People in DMR who Made Mile Final
Friday NCAA Indoor Photo Gallery
LRC Arrival Day In Fayetteville: Chris O'Hare's Incredible Look, The Pre-Meet Press Conference, And A Free History
Lesson With A Haircut
Rojo is on the ground in Arkansas and is now certain that Chris O'Hare is going to win the mile as he won best-dressed award at the banquet. Will Cas Loxsom run the DMR? What did Chris Bucknam say about the pressure he feels to win NCAA title #1? How confident is Mike Holloway that Sean Obinwa can match the Hogs in the 800? Did you know George Washington wasn't the first US president?
*Good Read: RRW: Chris O'Hare Doesn't Mind The Added Pressure Of Being The Defending Champ And NCAA Record Holder Going Into The NCAA Mile
LRC 2013 NCAA Division I Indoor Track & Field Previews *Discuss
Non-NCAA Weekend/Upcoming: US 15k Champs Are Saturday
- Saturday: Defending Champs Janet Bawcom And Mo Trafeh Lead Fields For US 15k Champs This Saturday At The Gate River Run In Jacksonville, Florida Trafeh will be up against Bobby Curtis, Ben True and Ryan Vail while Bawcom faces Julie Culley, US indoor 3,000 champ Chelsea Reilly, Jen Rhines and OT 10k fifth placer Alisha Williams.
- Saturday Night: Nick Wills, Ryan Gregson And Collis Birmingham Racing 1,500 At Sydney Track Classic
- Japan Running News Nagoya Women's Marathon Preview This is the last selection race for Japan's Moscow 2013 squad with 2004 Olympic champ Mizuki Noguchi leading the domestic race and Kenya's Georgina Rono leading the foreign field with a 2:21:39 from Frankfurt last year.
*Mizuki Noguchi Says She's Fit, Confident And Going For The Win
- Not This Weekend: AK Postpones First Outdoor Meet Until Next Weekend Due To The Stadium Still Being Used As A "Tallying Center" For The Kenyan Election World Indoor 800 Champ Pamela Jelimo and Olympic 800 bronze medallist Timothy Kitum were among those who were supposed to compete.
- Yohan Blake Announced For Shanghai Diamond League 200 On May 18th
- Veronica Campbell-Brown Will Open Her Season In Late March With A Rare Appearance Over 400m VCB: "To be honest, I enjoy watching the 400m, it is one of my favorite events to watch and let me emphasize the word 'watch' ... lol!"
- Jamaca's 2008 100 Silver Medalist Kerron Stewart & Former Olympic 400H Champ Melanie Walker Will Join Usain Bolt In May 8th Cayman Islands Meet London 2012 110H bronze medalist Hansle Parchment will also compete.
- Jamaican Fans Could Be Disappointed As Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake May Miss Jamaican Invitational On May 4th Due To Their Racing/Travel Schedule
- With Two Weeks To Go To World XC, The IAAF Hypothesizes Who Some Of The Potential Medal Winners Could Be Names mentioned include Imane Merga, Hiwot Ayalew, Mercy Cherono and Fionnuala Britton.
- NBIN: DyeStat Boys NBIN Preview
*Entries *Heat Sheets *Milesplit Boys Preview *Girls
*MileSplit New Balance Nationals Indoor Coverage/Highlights
- Entry Lists For Japan National Corporate Half Marathon Champs
NYC Half Is March 17th
- Wilson Kipsang And Kim Smith Join Fields For NYC Half Marathon Previously announced men include Meb Keflezighi, Abdi Abdirahman, Dathan Ritzenhein, Bernard Lagat and Jason Hartmann. On the women's side there is also Janet Bawcom, Molly Pritz and Stephanie Rothstein Bruce.
- Good Q&A With Kim Smith Ahead Of NYC Half The anti-Salazar; talking about form, she says her coach Ray Treacy isn't into form work and "thinks if that's how you're naturally comfortable running, why should you change that?"
*Japanese Collegiates Kenta Murayama & Kento Otsu Among Field For NYC Half
Looking Ahead To Other Future Action
- Usain Bolt Racing Cayman Invitational In The Caribbean On May 8th
- David Rudisha Returning To NY For NYC For Adidas Grand Prix On May 25th Last year here he ran the American soil record of 1:41.74.
- Also Announced For NYC DL Meet Are Jenn Suhr, Tyson Gay, Olympic 400H Silver Winner Michael Tinsley And 4 X 1 Gold Medalist Bianca Knight
- Belgium's 2008 Olympic Games High Jump Champion Tia Hellebaut Announced Her Retirement She had a disappointing European Champs last weekend, only finishing 8th. She was 5th in the London Games.
- Wesley Korir Says He Will Keep Training/Racing After Being Elected To Kenyan Parliament He'll defend his Boston title in April.
- PV WR Holder Sergei Bubka Thinks Jenn Suhr's Indoor WR Will Motivate Yelena Isinbayeva To Come Back And Regain Her Top Pole Vaulter Status Bubka: "It's easy to become complacent when you win without much of a challenge from your opponents, but as soon as you feel someone is stepping on your toes it forces you into action."
- Olympic Stadium Deal Was Set To Be Completed This Month; However, That Could Be Undone By New Legal Challenges From Leyton Orient Chairman Leyton Orient is another soccer team that lost the stadium bid and are now saying the process was unfair.
- Papal Enthronement Might Delay Rome Marathon To 4PM If New Pope Is Enthroned Race Day Morning The March 17th race is scheduled to start at 9AM.
- Athletics Weekly Statistical Round-Up Of The European Indoor Championships
- Moscow World Champs Tickets Sales Now Open
Get To Know USATF's Head
In Life, Like Track, The Finish Is More Important Than The Start
Recommended Read USATF CEO Max Siegel Overcame A Really Rough Childhood To Be A Huge Success "(All my homes) were all bad. It is hard to measure degrees. There was a lot of violence, a lot of alcohol. I grew up feeling uneasy, craving stability. ... I didn't enjoy my childhood at all. ... From an early age, I made a conscious decision not to let what anyone else thought of me affect me emotionally."
More US News:
*It Takes A Strong Man To Apologize: After Message Board Backlash To RW Interview, Dathan Ritzenhein Apologizes For Comments About World XC "No Longer Being Significant"
US Indoor Champs *Results *LRC Saturday Photos *LRC Sunday Photos *LRC Lomong American Record Photos *5k Record Was Friday Night In NY
Day 2: LRC Mary Cain Dominates & Wins Her First US Indoor Title Cain was simply brilliant and
thrashed the field. In
the process, she showed a technical savvy and closing speed way beyond her years.
*Sunday Photo Gallery *Video Of Cain's Win
*LRC Rest Of Mid-D & Distance Action: Will Leer Completes Heart-Warming Double As Erik Sowinski's Dream Season Continues And Teen Phenom Ajee Wilson Joins Cain In Winner's Circle The 2013 USA indoor meet ended up being fantastic from a fan's perspective. With his cancer-stricken father in the stands, Leer found the guts to complete the 3k/mile double as Erik Sowinski just held off Robby Andrews and Wilson led throughout.
*Short On Time? Men's 800 Recap Only
*Women's 800 Recap Only
*Men's Mile Recap Only
*USATF Recap Of Day 2 Ryan Whiting threw a world leader in the shot put (21.80), Mississippi State's D'Angelo Cherry ran the world's 3rd-fastest 60m of the year (6.49 - world leader is 6.48) and 2004 Olympic gold medallist Jeremy Wariner won his first-ever US indoor crown with a 45.82 clocking (#4 in the world).
*AP Recap Of USAs From A Guy Who Clearly Doesn't Cover Track
More 2013 USA Indoor News
Updated: LRC Day 1 Distance: Chelsea Reilly Wins National Title As Lisa Uhl Nearly Impales Herself, Will Leer Dominates
Chelsea Reilly won her first national title in NASCAR fashion as she and Lisa Uhl collided right before the finish with Uhl catapulting herself head first off the track. Fortunately, both women survived without serious injury. Will Leer dominated the men's as expected. Can he pull off the 3k/mile double tomorrow? In the 800, the "names" - Mulder, Andrews, Centro, Sowinski - all advanced except for Mark Wieczorek.
(Video of 3k finish in article or to right on homepage)
UK/European News *Full European Indoor Results *GB Pictures From Euros
- Even The XC Stars Don't Kid Themselves: Ireland's Fionnuala Britton: "I'm not stupid, I know that the track is where it's really at." "They (cross-country and indoors) are all just stepping stones to where everybody in the sport wants to be."
- West Ham Co-Owner Says Olympic Stadium Deal Will Be Completed By March 16th He said, "I'm embarrassed because I've tweeted ten times that it's going to be next week or next month and here's a date ... But I think we are close."
Milers In The News
LRC Meet Jacob Burcham: West Virginia's 4:02 High Schooler Wants To Go Sub-4 This Spring Joel Wolpert has produced a short film on the WV star, who while certainly very talented, is far from obsessed with running. Burcham, "I used to think of myself as a football player all of the time. I still kind of do in my head."
Rock 'N' Roll New Orleans *Top Results *Photo Gallery
Outkicks Gebremariam, Meseret Defar Over Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher Way Back Meseret Defar's second half marathon was much like her
first one, a win (1:07:25) over Shalane Flanagan (1:08:31). Mo Farah doesn't lose and he found a way to beat Gebre Gebremariam 1:00:59 to 1:01:00.
*On The Boards: Cool Race Blow by Blow
*Farah Says Running The First Half Of The London Marathon Isn't About The Money
Stockholm Meet *Results
LRC Friday Tidbits From Stockholm: Update On Galen Rupp's Record, Plus Dibaba News We've got splits for Galen Rupp's last 600m, plus news that Genzebe Dibaba is
not now coached by Jama Aden, the coach to Taoufik Makhloufi, who has strong USA ties.
On The Boards: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy
LRC Galen Rupp 7:30.16 American Record! Aregawi Just Misses 1,500m World Record Galen Rupp's tremendous 2013 continued with his finest performance yet. Not only did he get the American record, but perhaps most importantly he got his first European win of note. The other big news was new Swedish citizen, Abeba Aregawi, just missing the world record by .12 in the women's 1,500m. In other action, Genzebe Dibaba blitzed an 8:26.57, Mohammed Aman ran a world leader in the 800m, and Matt Centrowitz came up well short of the American 1,000m record. Flash recap.
*IAAF Recap: Olympic Silver Medallist Yarisley Silva Breaks Her Own Cuban Record And Sets World Lead In PV With 4.71m Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce set a PR in her 2nd-ever 60m to win with 7.04.
*Pre-Race Interview With Rupp
On The Boards: *Rupp 7:30.18!!! *GALEN RUPP NEW 3000 AR 7:30.18 *STOCKHOLM MEET updates! *Galen Rupp Will NOT Break U.S. 3000m Record In Stockholm
US Distance News
- Bernard Lagat's Agent Says He Wants Under 61 Minutes At NYC Half; Mileage Has Gone Up From 65 To Hitting 80 Lagat: "The way I can handle the longer stuff now in training, it feels like I made the right decision. When you think about it, I've been holding back for a long time, so I am basically getting to where I should have been maybe in real life four years ago."
- RR: Being Snubbed By UK European Selection Committee Motivated Chris O'Hare To Set The Collegiate Mile Record At Millrose "That's what makes athletes, their disappointments and their lack of success at some point. That's what drives every athlete to their success."
- Profile On Recent 600m AR Setter, Who Works 30 Hours A Week At A Shoe Store & Only Got Into Millrose After Kevin Borlee Pulled Out At The Last Minute
Kenya Gives The US Some Respect: Kenya World XC Team Reports To Training Camp: Mercy Cherono Says She "Relishes The Challenge From Ethiopia AND USA Athletes" Other good news for the US, it seems Kenya is going back to it's potential killing pre-championship training camps as 28 are at the camp, but only 24 make the team. The head coach said, "We will have a serious and tough training. And those who want to escape the axe must prove their mettle."
Millrose Games *Results For The 2013 Millrose Games *TV Re-Broadcast Online Here
Records Galore At 2013 Millrose Games: Lagat, Mary Cain, 2 X 600, Chris O'Hare Mary Cain started the record-setting night in the women's mile and it continued all night after that until Chris O'Hare set a collegiate record in 4th place in the Wanamaker Mile. In between, Bernard Lagat barely got back his 2 mile record, unheralded Erik Sowinski upset Duane Solomon AND Nick Symmonds to set the American record in the 600, and Alysia Montano crushed
the field and the AR in the 600.
Daring To Ask The PED Question
A Must Read: Daring To Ask The PED Question: "If everyone is secretly suspicious of so many athletic achievements, why aren't we talking about it?" In our last Week That Was, we said, "There are two types of runners - those that either 'get' letsrun.com or don't." Well, sports writer Bill Simmons might not be talking about running, but he definitely "gets" LRC as he explains why questioning today's professional athletic performances in is not only okay, but has become part of sports. As he says, "There is no such thing as 'the benefit of the doubt' anymore. Not in sports. Too many people took advantage. All the benefits are gone." It is for this reason that we allow threads like this one to exist: MB: Solomon suddenly world class and Rupp soloing 3.50 indoor miles - Come on Letsun, ask the questions!
2013 USA XC *USA XC Results/Splits *MB: Official 2013 USA XC Thread *LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Chris Derrick!?! - National Champion! link fixed The wait is over. Arguably the greatest American collegiate distance runner not to win an NCAA title, Derrick pulled away from Dathan Ritzenhein and Matt Tegenkamp to win his first national title in his first race as a sponsored pro. It was a good day for Jerry Schumacher's crew as they had 3 of the top 4 in the men's race plus Shalane Flanagan winning the women's.
LRC Shalane Flanagan Wins 2013 Women's US Cross-Country Championships Flanagan was the class of the field (World XC bronze in 2011), but Olympian Kim Conley put up a brave fight. Afterwards, Flanagan said she will not run World XC as she prepares for the Boston marathon.
Jr. Races: *LRC 2013 Jr. Girls Results - William & Mary's Emily Stites Dominates
*LRC 2013 Jr. Boys Results - Ok. State's Craig Nowak Wins
*USATF Athlete Quotes
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Re-Introduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
2013 NCAA DMRs *Men's DMR Photo Gallery *Women's DMR Photo Gallery *NCAA Schedule/Results/Start Lists/Streaming Info (Field/Multi Starts @ 11:55AM ET/Main ESPN3 Stream @ 6:55PM ET)
Vig Does It Again With Princeton, Michigan Woman Win Coach Jason Vigilante's mid-d magic continued at the NCAA meet this time at his third school - Princeton. The Ivy Leaguers got the NCAA title thanks to a blistering final 200m by Belgian-American Peter Callahan. The Michigan woman passed up on individual success to get the team DMR title.
LRC Miles & 800 Prelims: Emma Coburn Cruises, Favorites Advance In Men's Mile, The #1 Seed Crashes Out In Men's 800, LSU Looks To Go 1-2 In Women's 800 The rounds of the mile and 800 were certainly interesting as falls took out a number of people. Cas Loxsom made his first-ever indoor final but the #1 seed wasn't so lucky.
More NCAA Day 1 News:
- Arizona Sr. (And Olympic Silver Medallist) Brigetta Barrett Becomes 1st Woman In NCAA History To Win Three Consecutive Indoor High Jump Titles She came up short on three attempts at the collegiate record.
- Unreal: Florida State's #1 And #2 Ranked 60m Sprinters False Start In Consecutive Heats In Same Lane And Are Booted From Meet Coach Bob Braman called it "the most improbable script."
- Texas A&M's Ameer Webb Defends NCAA Indoor 200m Title, Records World-Leading Time (20.37)
- Georgia Frosh Shaunae Miller Blazes 51.14 In 400 (2013 World #3)
- Down To His Last Vault, Andrew Irwin Stays Alive And Then PRs At 18-8.25 To Defend His PV Title For Host Hogs, Who Lead After Day 1 Arkansas did better than expected in the LJ as well but lost the #1 seed in the 800. But they also lead the multi.
Whom To Believe?
- Oregonian: Ducks Women's Track Team Struggles At NCAA Indoor Championships
- Jesse Squire Projecting Oregon Women To Win After Day 1? (And Arkansas Men)
IAAF Names More 2005 Dopers: 4 Belarusians And 2 Russians
IAAF Reveal 6 More Positive Tests From 2005 Helsinki Retests Shot putter Nazdeya Ostapchuk, who was stripped of her London Olympic gold, tops
the list of Belarusians
that also includes Ivan Tsikhan and Vadim Devyatovskiy, the gold and silver medallists in the men’s hammer in Helsinki,
and Andrew Mihhnevich, who finished 6th in the shot put final. The two Russians were women's hammer gold medalist Olga Kuzenkova and long jump silver medallist Tatiana Kotova.
US Distance Runners In The News
- Q&A With Chris Solinsky On His First Track Race Since 2011, An 8:05 3k For The Win At The University Of Washington Final Qualifier "I felt bad because I sat behind a bunch of college kids and put on a big finish at the end, but that was the plan going in: to run whatever the race presented and finish hard off of it."
- Good Interview/Update With Desiree Davila On Where She's At On Her Way Back From The Femoral Stress Fracture That Forced Her To DNF In London She says, "I'm getting there ... I think things are in the 80 percent range in terms of healing and we're kind of introducing new things like building up the mileage slowly."
- Good Read From The Washington Post: "After Pistorius Allegations, Sports Needs Athletes Like Billy Mills" The Tokyo Olympics 10,000 champ was at the White House a few weeks ago to receive the nation's second-highest civilian honor - the Presidential Citizens Medal.
US Admin News
- Los Angeles First US City To Formally Register Its Interest In Bidding For The 2024 Games
- NYC Marathon Will Use A Lottery Selection System Again To Register For 2013, But Will Have Much Less Spots Available Due To The 2012 Cancellation About half the entrants from 2012 took guaranteed entry for 2013 while the other half took a refund.
- GB Marathoner Jo Pavey Will Miss Moscow World Champs As She Takes Time Away To Have Her 2nd Child She's 39 years old but doesn't plan on retiring as she wants to continue on and qualify for what would be her 5th Olympics in Rio 2016.
- UK PVer Holly Bleasdale Encouraged By Euro Champs Gold And Wants A Medal In Moscow 2013
- UK's Perri Shakes-Drayton Was Motivated To Double Gold At Euro Champs By Her Disappointing Olympics Where She Didn't Make The 400H Final Due To Injury
- Sweden Happy With Euro Champs Success As They Won Multiple Medals After Not Winning Any Last Time They Hosted In
- Brit Jav Thrower Goldie Sayers Out With Injury And Will Need 3rd Elbow Surgery
- Asia: IAAF Recap China Indoor Meet: China's Dong Bin Sets Asian Record In The TJ With 17.16m
- USA Today: Boston, Dallas, L.A. Among Cities Considering 2024 Olympic Bid
- Boston Mayor Says A Boston 2024 Olympic Bid Is "Far-Fetched"
Science Of The Sport
- Study Concludes That Neither Evening Exercise Nor Ice Baths Affect Sleep Quality So no excuses for skipping the evening workout or the ice bath afterward.
- Study Finds That Marathoners Who Slow Down More Do More Muscle Damage That's why you feel much more beat up after a bad race than a good one.
The Guardian Lists 10 Of The Best Running Documentaries List includes "Steve Prefontaine: Fire on the Track."
Previous NCAA/US News
- NCAAs Start Friday: Arkansas Hosts NCAA With Men Favored To Win Arkansas women are ranked 3rd.
- Chris O'Hare Receives Praise From Seb Coe And Others Back Home Across The Pond
- Wisconsin's Heptathlete Japheth Cato On Finishing Runner-Up At NCAAs Last Year: "Getting second is even worse than getting like fourth or fifth ..." ..."You were that close and it almost sucks the life out of you."
- Kansas State's Olympic HJ Bronze Medalist Erik Kynard Looking To Win His First NCAA Indoor Title
- Athletics Illustrated Q&A With Villanova Sub-4 Miler Rob Denault Denault was the last man in to the NCAA mile field.
- Last DI Rankings Before NCAAs Have Arkansas Men And LSU Women On Top On the women's side, Oregon moved down from 2nd to 4th.
- Aries Merritt IAAF Online Diary: "But did I ever think I'd run 12.80? Well, OK, I must admit, no I didn't."
- Merritt Thinks He Can Still Go Faster Than 12.80 As He Had A Slow Start When He Set The WR "My first unit was just terrible because I was so concerned about false starting ... So if you take away those 4/100ths that is already 12.76."
- IAAF Inside Athletics - Episode 3: Ato Boldon Interviews Jenn Suhr After Her PV World Record
*In Episode 2, Boldon talked about some of the great rivalries of 2013, including Mo Farah vs. Galen Rupp at 10k.
- Top 18 Men's DMR Times All Came From Notre Dame
- NYRR: 5 Things You Should Know About Marathon Olympian Guor Marial Marial ran under the Olympic flag in London because South Sudan did not yet have an Olympic Committee and he was not yet a US Citizen. He will run the NYC Half this month and Boston in April.
- USATF To Increase Prize Money For USA Outdoor Championships By More Than $300,000 Overall, the increase is a 59 percent increase over previous years.
- Boston Could Bid For 2024 Olympics
- DyeStat Girls NBIN Preview
- Michele Yates And Cody Moat Won US 50-Mile Trail Championships Last Weekend In Texas
Sprinters/Hurdlers In The News
- Family Of Oscar Pistorius Have Distanced Themselves From Controversial Comments Made By His Father About Gun Culture In South Africa On Sunday, his father came out and blamed the ANC government for "failing to protect white families" and revealed that he and other members of the family owned a total of 55 guns to protect them from criminals.
- Could Olympic 200m Bronze Medalist Warren Weir Be "The Best" Of 2013? He had a faster 400m time than Usain Bolt or Yohan Blake at the first meet of the season and sources say he "constantly hassles" Bolt over 300m repeats in training.
- SA 400 Hurdle Record Holder LJ van Zyl Looking To Bounce Back In 2013 After A Disappointing 2012 van Zyl: "When I think of all those people who really wanted to be professional athletes but did not get there, or did not have the opportunity, it really motivates me to appreciate what I have and to go further."
- EA Profile On Russian Hurdler Sergey Shubenkov, Who Won The 60H At European Champs Over The Weekend
African News: Kenyan Elections, Stephen Kiprotich In Car Accident
- Kenya Election: After 19 Deaths (Mainly Caused By Separatists On Coast), Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta Holds An Early Lead Over His Main Rival, PM Raila Odinga The US and other Western allies of Kenya have warned of possible "consequences" if Mr. Kenyatta wins.
- 2012 Boston Marathon Winner Wesley Korir Elected To Kenyan Parliament
*Election Begins With Threats Of Violence Present
- Olympic Marathon Champ Stephen Kiprotich Involved In Car Accident But Is Uninjured There aren't many details, but his vehicle swerved off the road and two of the other athletes in his car were seriously hurt and admitted to the hospital.
Al Sal Defends Mo's Lucrative London Payday "If they think this is in the best interests of their race, I don't know how anybody can criticize Mo."
2013 European Indoor Champs Conclude *Full Results *Race Replays
- Day 3: AP:
Portugal's Sara Moreira Of Portugal Dominates Women's 3,000-Meter Race At The European Indoor Athletics Championships On Sunday She led most of it and won by 2+ seconds. Euro XC champ Fionnuala Britton was third.
*Irish Independent: Fionnuala Britton Adds To Medal Haul With European Bronze
- IAAF Recap: Poland's Adam Kszczot Defends 800 Title In 1:48.69 As Ukraine's Natalia Lupu Wins 800 In 2:00.26 France's Olympic steeple silver medalist Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad won the 1,500.
- French PV Superstar Renaud Lavillenie Wins In 6.01m After Having His Clearance Of 6.07m Ruled A Foul Because It Became Dislodged From One Peg He wasn't happy afterwards as he "raved with frustration and thundered a mighty kick of rage into the hoardings" and threw his victor's bouquet over the barriers. If legal, it would have been a 4cm PR and 2nd all-time indoors or out.
- The Other Mo: UK's Somalian-Born Mukhtar Mohammed Wins Bronze In 800 He said, "In Kenya, I get mistaken for Mo Farah a lot. When I go for my run and I put on my British kit, I can hear everyone shouting 'Mo, Mo, Mo.' I'm saying to them, 'I'm not Mo, I'm not Mo.' I get all the kids coming up to me trying to run with me."
- UK's Perri Shakes-Drayton Wins Double Gold At Euro Champs In 400 And 4 X 4
- Russia Tops The Medal Stands At Euro Indoors With 14 Medals As Great Britain & Northern Ireland Finish 2nd And France 3rd
- Ireland Missed Out On One Of Their Greatest Medal Hopes As Euro 400m Leader Brian Gregan DNFed In The Semis With A Spiked Ankle
- GB Wins Double Relay Gold In Men's And Women's 4 X 4
- BB: European Champs Day 3 "As It Happened"
- European Athletics Recaps: Men's 800 *Women's 800 *Women's 3k *Men's PV *Men's 400 *Women's HJ *Women's TJ *Men's LJ *Women's Shot
NCAA Last Chance Meets *Results *Arkansas: Compiled Men's Results *Women *ND Results *IC4A *ECAC
- UConn Sweeps IC4A/ECAC Champs: UConn Men Win IC4A Title *UConn Women Win ECACs
*IC4A Compiled Results *ECAC Complied Results
- Austin Mudd Beats Out Mac Fleet In Alex Wilson Mile Mudd ran 3:58.59 to Fleet's 3:58.90.
- Notre Dame DMR Mania Yet Again: PSU Runs #2 DMR In NCAA History - 9:26.60 - Without Cas Loxsom And the scary thing is the team is led by two freshmen and a sophomore. Princeton also impressed with an Ivy record at 9:27 thanks to a 3:56 from Peter Callahan.
- Texas DMR Goes From #1 In The Nation To Not Going To Nationals After Notre Dame Is Run
- The Race Of His Life! Arkansas' Leoman Momon, Who Was Just 8th At SECs, Runs 1:46.07 A Beamonesque improvement as his SB was 1:50.21 and his PR was 1:48.73.
Man, 46, Suffers Massive Cardiac Arrest As He Starts Swim During Alcatraz Triathlon In Calif.
Wow: British Columnist: TV Interviewer's Mo Farah Gaffe Is Typical Of The Self-Absorbed United States Of Amnesia "Large parts of the United States of Amnesia still exist in a cultural vacuum. If it doesn't happen between sea and shining sea, it doesn't make the cut."
Ethiopian XC Champs And Tokyo Marathon *Results *Tokyo Marathon 2013 Photo Gallery
- Ethiopian World XC Trials: World Marathon Bronze Medallist Feyisa Lilesa Wins After Hard-Fought Battle With World Junior 10k Champ Yigrem Demelash Defending World XC champ Imane Merga dropped out in the later stages of the race. Steeplechaser Hiwot Ayalew won the women's race easily over a deep field. 12:47 5k man Hagos Gebrhiwet (who beat Galen Rupp in the Boston 3k) won the junior men's race.
- WMM Make Japanese Debut: Dennis Kimetto Holds Off Sally Kipyego's Brother, Aberu Kebede Wins Women's
is the guy who was runner-up to Geoffrey Mutai at the Berlin Marathon in a very bizarre finish where many speculated that Kimetto lost to Mutai on purpose so Mutai could pick up the
$500,000 WMM bonus. Well, Tokyo is now a WMM major and Kimetto may be wishing he had won in Berlin as he would be the frontrunner to win $500,000 himself after winning on Sunday. *Top Results
*IAAF Recap Kimetto: "The pace maker was little slow for me and I thought of leaving them behind at times, but I decided to stay with the pace." He also said if he doesn't run World Champs, he'll go for the WR in Berlin. *RRW Recap
*2012 Berlin Marathon Finish Photos
2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix *NBIGP Results LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
Men's 3k: LRC Galen Rupp Is Defeated As Hagos Gebrhiwet Sets New World Junior 3,000 Record Of 7:32.87
Women's 2-Mile: LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:38.68 For 2 Miles - The Greatest Distance Performance In US HS Girls History Tirunesh Dibaba was way ahead of the field as she won in 9:13.17.
LRC The Rest Of The 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix - Centro, Lakhouad And Wright Win As Suhr Takes Crack At AR
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18-minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Non-NCAA Action *NBIN Results *US 15k Champs Results Will Be Here
- Ryan Gregson Blogs Ahead Of Sydney Track Classic 1,500 Against Nick Willis And Collis Birmingham Tonight
- NBIN: MileSplit NBIN Coverage: Edward Cheserek Anchors A 4:10 To Help St. Benedicts Win DMR In Quick 10:07
- More NBIN Coverage/Videos From DyeStat.com Wesley Frazier won the 5,000 in a US record of 16:18.01 while Elijah Armstrong won the boys race in 14:54, setting the sophomore national record.
- IAAF Nagoya Women's Marathon Preview: Can Ethiopia's 30:07 10k Runner (8th All-Time) Werknesh Kidane Finally Show Up In A Marathon Despite her track credientials, her marathon best is only 2:26:15.
More On Oscar Pistorius
- Oscar Pistorius Wants Bail Conditions Relaxed So He Can Have Back Passports And Travel Overseas
- More To Come? Former Lead Investigator In Pistorius Case: The Bail Hearing "is like a poker game. You cannot show all your cards."
Other Non-NCAA News
- England Commonwealth Games Team Selectors Receive Criticism After Setting Harder "A" Standards For Athletes The "A" standards are ridiculous as they include 13:03 5k, 20.30 for 200, and 45.00 for 400. However, the committee will take those who don't hit the standard; they just want this to secure the definites early. They should just skip the standards and name Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis now.
- SA President James Evans Faces Tribunal Over Allegations Of Making Payments To Himself And Others With Board Funds
- UK's Former Olympic TJ Silver Medalist Phillips Idowu Leaves Longtime Coach As He Tries To Regain Form After A Disappointing 2012
Week That Was
LRC WTW Forget About Jenn Suhr, Lopez And Mary Cain: The Best Closes In Track History, Meet Brannon Kidder, Erik Sowinski's HS Coach, Praise From Nick Willis, And An Apology To Kara Goucher On a week that saw Lopez Lomong's AR on Friday, Jenn Suhr's world record on Saturday and Mary Cain making history on Sunday, we cover everything else making news in the running world.
And Speaking Of Drug Cheats Who Will Lie Through Their Teeth In Court To Get Out Of Trouble ... Lance Armstrong Does Interview With Sports Illustrated Legal Columnist Armstrong said he was strongly considering giving Tom Brokaw his first interview before deciding to go with Oprah.
Renaud Lavillenie Almost Clears The 2nd Highest PV In History
Jamaican News: Steve Mullings Lifetime Ban Upheld
- Jamaica's 9.80 Man Steve Mullings Loses Appeal Against Lifetime Ban The ban on the 2009 4 x 100 gold medallist was imposed in November 2011 after a second doping offence. Mullings is a guy who LetsRun famously got pulled from the NCAA meet back in 2005 when he was under his first IAAF ban, which the NCAA didn't acknowledge.
- More from the LRC Vault: 2005: LetsRun.com Editorial Calling For Convicted Drug Cheat Steve Mullings To Be Pulled From 2005 NCAA Meet *More MB: 2011: Goodbye Steve Mullings
- Yohan Bake Will Compete In 100m At First Diamond League Meet Of The Year In Doha On May 10th
- IAAF Recap Of Jamaican Carifta Games Trials The Carifta Games is a regional Caribbean meet for juniors. The highlights of the Trials was 16-year-old sprinter Michael O'Hara running 20.78 in the 200.
Jenn Suhr World Record *Photos
Jenn Suhr Breaks World Record Suhr was perfect all day until she broke the world record at 5.02 meters. She then attempted 3 times at 5.07 (the highest vault indoors or out).
*Video Of World Record Vault
*Reuters: "Gritty Suhr Happy To Finally Reach New Heights"
Didn't Visit LRC Over the Weekend? We Help You Out
Jerry's Boys Take On The Big Apple
LRC Lopez Lomong Sets New American Indoor 5,000 Record - Runs 13:07.00!!! We recap the historic night in NYC that saw Lomong get the AR, Chris Derrick get the "A" at 13:12.00 and the rest of Jerry's boys struggle a bit at the end as the pace was super hot. Includes exclusive post-race interviews that include Teg, Lomong, and Derrick, who talks about German Fernandez and Alan Webb.
*Photo Gallery *Race Video *Post-Race Interviews *Race Results Weekly
*Great News From Another Schumacher Stud: Chris Solinsky's 1st Track Race In Nearly Two Years Is Successful - Dominant 8:05 Win At UW
USATF Sunday Gallery: Mary Cain, Ajee Wilson Get USATF Titles #1
Crazy Finish Of Women's 3k (More Here)
Jenn Suhr's World Record (Larger Here)
Chris Derrick After 13:12.00 (Full Coverage Of AR Here)
Week That Was *New Orleans Photos *Tokyo Photos
LRC TWTW Part II: College: A Look Back At The 2013 NCAA Indoor Track And Field Conference Championships In part II of our weekly recap, Arkansas' Chris Bucknam gets praise, the nation's longest winning streak is snapped, we talk about the arbitrariness of victory and Mississippi State's one-woman track team, and introduce you to Nick Rivera, a freshman
at Texas Tech who
hasn't broken 1:52.03 this year but is a Big 12 champ. Plus props for the Virginia Tech and Washington State men, Betsy Saina, Abbey D'Agostino and Johns Hopkins in the D3 ranks.
LRC TWTW Part I: Pros: Galen Rupp Runs 7:30, Japan Over US At The Marathon, New Orleans, Chris O'Hare, Dennis Kimetto And More We span the globe from New Orleans to Tokyo to Stockholm to give you some perspective on our sport. From analyzing Galen Rupp's incredible 7:30.16 to the awkward interview of the week, we've got it covered.
Jerry Schumacher's Group
- Correction: Jerry Schumacher's Runners Are No Longer Part Of Nike OTC, They May Get A New Group Name Or May Just Run For Nike Note: We apologize for the misleading headline earlier. Explanation provided on the link. *What Should Schumacher's Group Be Named?
- Shalane Flanagan Says She's Happy She Ran A PR At New Orleans Half (1:08:31) Despite A Strong Headwind And Pothole-Full Roads She also said she'll be running the Stanford 10k on March 29th as a tune-up for Boston and to get the World Champs "A" standard.
- LRC Jerry Schumacher's Oregon Track Club Guys Will Race A 5,000 This Friday At The Armory Bumby, Derrick, Heath, Jager, Lopez and Teg will all run in New York on Friday and we wonder if Lagat's 13:07 AR could be under assault. *Discuss
Usain Bolt Does The Harlem Shake
Ryan Hall Speaks
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About Cam Levins' 190-Mile Weeks And Is Impressed Hall: "It's working for him. My hat's off to him. He inspires me. That's why I started following him on Twitter. I feel like I'm training hard and I'm not doing nearly that kind of training."
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About His Running Shoes Hall says he has different shoes for every speed he runs and that he has an "unhealthy attachment" to the Asics Gel Hyper Speed.