Oscar P Charged With Murder
Oscar Pistorius Charged With Murder After He Shoots And Kills His Girlfriend The initial reports were Oscar mistook his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp for a burglar as she tried to surprise him on Valentine's Day. That has changed and police have charged Oscar with murder and indicated there were previous domestic incidents at the house.
*A Look at Some of Oscar Pistorius Alleged Past Incidences of Drunken and Abusive Behavior Interesting read.
*Remembering Reeva Steenkamp
*Police to oppose bail at Friday hearing
This Weekend's Action: Millrose, Kenyan XC Trials And No 5,000 American Record Chase For Galen Rupp *Millrose Live On ESPN3 Starting At 7PM ET
- Updated Rupp Was Ready To Run
LRC No American 5k Record Chase For Galen Rupp This Weekend In Birmingham Galen has pulled out of the 5,000m. No word yet on what is next for Galen
who is "unwell" which could be a slight injury or under the weather. Update: According to Rupp's agent and the meet director, Galen was still scheduled to run; other athletes and the 2nd rabbit pulled out and the 5k was cancelled because organizers wanted an entertaining race for TV and fans. *Discuss
- Millrose: Bring Back The Mile Wanamaker Preview Includes schedule, records, men's and women's entries.
- RW Q&A With Matt Centrowitz Ahead Of The Wanamaker Mile Where He Says He's Shooting For Sub-3:52 He also talks about how his training has changed a ton since he's moved over to being coached by Alberto Salazar.
- Don Cabral Just Ran A 3:56.41 Mile PR At Husky, But Thinks He Can Go Even Faster At Millrose Cabral has recently moved across the country to Bellingham, WA to be trained by his high school coach Peter Oviatt.
*Video Interview With Cabral After His Husky Mile 3:56 PR This was actually his first sub-4 mile.
- RunnerSpace Interview With Cas Loxsom Ahead Of Millrose On Penn State's expectations ahead of the Millrose 4x8 he said, "We’re all aware that the collegiate record is 7:17.45, and we’re also aware that the world record is 7:13.94, and that our season bests add up to 7:13.10."
- Kenyan XC: Kenyan XC Champs/World XC Trials Are This Saturday Field includes former World XC silver medalist Lucas Rotich, former World cross bronze medalist Vincent Chepko, Africa XC champ John Mwangangi and 4th placer Timothy Kiptoo, world cross-country bronze medalist Clement Lagat, 26:51 10ker Emmanuel Bett, former world junior 3,000m steeplechase
champion Jonathan Ndiku Muiya and others.
- North Rift Athletics Kenya Chooses Their Team For Saturday's National Championship Includes Amsterdam half marathon runner-up Kenneth Kimutai and 10,000m Olympic trial finalist Joseph Kitur. Former World junior 1,500m champ Stacy Ndiwa leads the women's team.
- Paul Tergat Gives Positive Feedback After His 4-Day Visit To Poland To Inspect Course/City For World XC Champs “I am very, very, very impressed by the course. It will be a real cross country for the runners."
- Other: Deena Kastor Running The Kaiser Permanente Rock ‘n’ Roll Pasadena Half Marathon This Sunday This will be her first race as a "masters runner" as she turned 40 today. The U.S. masters record is 1:11:50, which was set in 2006 by Colleen De Reuck.
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Carmelita Jeter Will Go Head To Head In Birmingham 60m On Saturday
Science Of The Sport's Ross Tucker Analyzes The Questions And Debates Associated With Long-Term Athlete Development "There is no evidence, because there are no long-term prospective studies ... However, it seems reasonable to hypothesize that if youth selection is delayed, and if the pool of available talent is kept large for long enough, we will see more viable prospective talents and thus better performance."
Previous Weekend Previews
- Jonathan Edwards Expects Mo Farah To Start His Track Season Off "With A Bang" This Saturday In Birmingham 3k
- Q&A With Bernard Lagat, Who Says He's Asked Millrose Officials To Set A Fast Pacing Time For His 2-Mile
- Women's Preview Of Friday's RAK Half-Marathon 2010 winner Elvan Abeylegesse (1:07:07), Florence Kiplagat and Lucy Kabuu (third and eighth fastest women half marathoners in history) highlight.
- March 3rd: Fields Released For Lake Biwa Mainichi Marathon: 2:05 Man Vincent Kipruto, 30k WR Holder Peter Kirui Highlight & Houston Champ Tariku Jufar Switzerland's Viktor Röthlin is also in the field and as a side note, US's Mohamed Trafeh is one of the pacers.
- "Lost Boy" And 2:12 Marathoner Guor Marial To Become U.S. Citizen Marial competed in the Olympic marathon under the Olympic flag because South Sudan hadn't yet been recognized by the IOC. Marial is sponsored by Skechers and will be racing the NYC Half and then Boston in April.
*Recommended Read On Marial From The Summer
- US XC Champs Meet Director Ben Rosario Asks, "Why can't we find out about what runners get as appearance fees? What are we afraid of?" "We continue in our sport, even in the year 2013, to try and seem amateur. It's leftover from the '60s and '70s and the days when runners would have to get paid under the table or risk their Olympic eligibility. News flash: we don't have to do that anymore!"
- Spikes-Mag Interviews King Pacer Matt Scherer, Who Reveals On Average He Makes $1,500 A Race On becoming a rabbit: "At the end of 2009 I was faced with a decision. I hadn't run any PBs in two years and I wasn't making a lot of money. I had to either retire and get a real job, or try pacing."
- Asics Becomes Title Sponsor Of The LA Marathon This is their first U.S. marathon title sponsorship.
- Interview With Andrew Bumbalough After His 3:56 Mile Win At Husky Classic
- Looking Ahead To Outdoors: Pre Classic To Feature Stacked Pole Vault With All Three Olympic Medalists Olympics champ Renaud Lavillenie, silver/bronze winners Bjorn Otto and Raphael Holzdeppe and also American record holder Brad Walker.
Ritz Running Chicago
Dathan Ritzenhein To Run 2013 B Of A Chicago Marathon It's only February, but that doesn't mean marathoners aren't thinking ahead to paydays in the fall. After running a track season, Ritz hopes to improve on his 2:07:47
last year in Chicago, which made him the #3 all-time US performer. And to show how tough marathoning has become, that only put Ritz 9th in the race.
LRC Archives:American Dathan Ritzenhein Runs A 2:07:47 PR To Become Third-Fastest American At 2012 Chicago Marathon
US Pro News & Will President Obama Talk About Running Today?
- Interview With Emily Infeld Talking About Her Adjustment To Pro Life And Training With Shalane Flanagan/Kara Goucher In Jerry Schumacher's Group
- Nick Symmonds Blogs On His "Running Bucket List" Many LRCs will have beaten him to two on the list as he has yet to run a marathon or a fun-run 5k.
- Q&A With Evan Jager After His Mile At Husky Classic
- American College Of Sports Medicine Wants The President To Encourage Exercise In His State Of the Union Address Sign the petition here.
- NCAA Rankings: LSU Women's Move To No. 1 In Division I; Arkansas Men Stay On Top
- Jeremy Taiwo And Aurieyall Scott Are USTFCCCA Athletes Of The Week Taiwo set the heptathlon HJ WR at 7-4½ and scored 6,156 points overall, which makes him 3rd best in collegiate history (7th best US history) behind Ashton Eaton and Trey Hardee. Scott set the world lead in the 200m as she beat out Bowerman award winner Kimberly Duncan.
- RIP: Message From Stephanie Hightower On The Passing Of USATF Board Memeber Kim Haines Hightower: "Kim had been involved in USATF for longer than most of our members have been alive."
Last Hot NCAA Action B4 Conference *2013 Husky Classic Was Fri./Sat. - Schedule/Results *All NCAA Results
Iowa: Betsy Saina Moves To #4 All-Time In 5,000i With 15:21.66 (Including oversized tracks) Wichita State's Aliphine Tuliamuk-Bolton was 2nd in 15:25.47.
*Women's Results Heather Kampf won the seeded mile in 4:37.13 as Lisa Uhl won the "unseeded" in 4:48.04. *Men's Results
UW: Andy Bumbalough Edges Evan Jager 3:56.12 To 3:56.14 As Donn Cabral Also Runs 3:56 Six guys ran 3:58 or faster. Charles Jock was last in one of the non-invite sections in 4:14.97.
*Good Video Interview With Chris Solinksy Talking A out His First Time On The Track Since 2011 (He Rabbitted The Mile) "I think I'm in about as good a shape as I was in freshman/sophomore year of college right now."
*MB: What happened to Charles Jock?
*Jordan Hasay Destroys Field And Wins By 6+ Seconds In 15:46 *Post-Race Interview With Hasay & Alexi Pappas
*Lopez Lomong Won 800 In 1:46.53 Over Tyler Mulder (1:46.80); Geena Gall Wins Women's Mile In 4:31.75
*Kevin Williams' 13:38 Wins Men's 5k As 22 Guys Break 14:00
*Oregon Gets Two More Sub-4:00 Milers At UW Meet
*Full Results Ryan Hill won the 3k in 7:49.20 over Diego Estrada (7:50.44) as top 10 were 7:53 or faster. Cally Macumber won the women's 3k in 8:59.98.
*Post-Race Video With Ryan Hill, Who Says He Wasn't Happy The Top Competition In The 3k Was Split Up Into 2 Heats. Estrada agrees and was also disappointed he didn't get to race Hill.
IU Hoosier Invy: IU's Zachary Mayhew Wins 3k In 7:51.61 Over Andrew Bayer (7:51.75)
*Race Video: IU's DMR Runs 9:33.43, Ranking Them 2nd In The NCAA This Year Bayer closed with a 3:58.5 1,600 leg.
Arkansas (Tyson): NCAA XC Champ Kennedy Kithuka Runs 13:26 And Wins By 1 Minute +
*Patrick Rono (1:47.66) Spanks Elijah Greer (1:48.42) Chris O'Hare was 2nd in 1:48.28.
*Cross, Rono Win Titles On Day One
*Full Results Riley Masters won the mile in 3:56.25 as the top 5 all went sub-4.
*Masters 3:56.25 Makes Him Maine's Fastest Miler Ever
*Texas Women's 4 X 4 Runs A Fast 3:30.95
Texas A&M: Henry Lelei Wins 3k And Breaks School Record With 7:55.80 Texas A&M men and women swept the team titles.
*Full Results Nike's Jackie Areson won the mile in 4:39.52.
Other: Washington's Jeremy Taiwo's 6156 Is #3 All-Time In The NCAA And #7 All-Time In US History Taiwo's total of 6,156 points ranks him third in NCAA history and seventh in U.S. history.
*Taiwo Sets Heptathlon High Jump WR At 7 feet, 4½ inches At Boise State Challenge It was a huge PR for him as his previous best was 6-11½.
*Full SPIRE Division I Indoor Track & Field Invite Results
*Cool Idea: University Of Portland Stages "Halftime Mile" During Basketball Game
2013 UK Champs/European Trials Are Saturday/Sunday *Schedule/Results
*IAAF UK Champs Recap: Robbie Grabarz Won The HJ In 2.31m And Took A Close Stab At The UK Indoor Record Of 2.39m 2008 Olympic 400 champ (2012 silver) Christine Ohuruogu used the meet as training and came in second in the 200 on Day 2 after going out in the 60m semifinals on Day 1. 2012 World Indoor TJ champ Yamile Aldama won the TJ easily. In the women’s 800m, Marilyn Okoro lost to Ireland’s Claire
*AW Recap: Grabarz: "It was only my second competition so to be jumping that high is pretty good."
*Holly Bleasdale Sets Wins UK European Champs Trials PV With A World-Leading 4.77m
*Athletics Weekly UK European Champs Trials Day 1 Recap
*This Year, UK HJer Robbie Grabarz Will Try To Become Only The 5th Man To Hold The European Indoor And Outdoor HJ Title At The Same Time
Other UK: UKA Head Coach Peter Eriksson Gives Assurance They Will Continue To Fully Support Jessica Ennis Despite Dispute With Her Coach
*Jessica Ennis's Coach Attacks British Athletics For "Lack Of Respect" As He Rejects Their Reduced Package Offer To Coach Her He said he will continue to coach her, but "If that's how I'm valued, it makes sense to leave it."
Daring To Ask The PED Question
A Must Read: Daring To Ask The PED Question: "If everyone is secretly suspicious of so many athletic achievements, why aren't we talking about it?" In our last Week That Was, we said, "There are two types of runners - those that either 'get' letsrun.com or don't." Well, sports writer Bill Simmons might not be talking about running, but he definitely "gets" LRC as he explains why questioning today's professional athletic performances in is not only okay, but has become part of sports. As he says, "There is no such thing as 'the benefit of the doubt' anymore. Not in sports. Too many people took advantage. All the benefits are gone." It is for this reason that we allow threads like this one to exist: MB: Solomon suddenly world class and Rupp soloing 3.50 indoor miles - Come on Letsun, ask the questions!
Doping And Crime
- Olympic Bottle Thrower Given Eight-Week Community Order And Fined $2,360 He escapes jail time because he suffers from bipolar disorder and was having a "manic episode." However, he did lose his job because of the bad publicity.
- Good News (For Those Who Aren't Doping): New EPO Test Could Help Stamp Out Microdosing
- Dutch Olympic Sprinter Brian Mariano Caught With Cocaine, Gets 6 Months In Prison
2013 USA XC *USA XC Results/Splits *MB: Official 2013 USA XC Thread *LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Chris Derrick!?! - National Champion! link fixed The wait is over. Arguably the greatest American collegiate distance runner not to win an NCAA title, Derrick pulled away from Dathan Ritzenhein and Matt Tegenkamp to win his first national title in his first race as a sponsored pro. It was a good day for Jerry Schumacher's crew as they had 3 of the top 4 in the men's race plus Shalane Flanagan winning the women's.
LRC Shalane Flanagan Wins 2013 Women's US Cross-Country Championships Flanagan was the class of the field (World XC bronze in 2011), but Olympian Kim Conley put up a brave fight. Afterwards, Flanagan said she will not run World XC as she prepares for the Boston marathon.
Jr. Races: *LRC 2013 Jr. Girls Results - William & Mary's Emily Stites Dominates
*LRC 2013 Jr. Boys Results - Ok. State's Craig Nowak Wins
*USATF Athlete Quotes
Great Sunday Action In Japan
A Great Read Kawauchi PRs! On 6th Surge, Yuki Kawauchi (2:08:15) Gets The Best Of Olympic 6th Placer Kentaro Nakamoto (2:08:35) After Truly Epic Battle As Both PR Brett Larner's description of this race is fantastic. "It was as if Americans Meb Keflezighi and Dathan Ritzenhein lined up to go head-to-head at Grandma's Marathon" and truly delivered a mano vs. mano fight where both PRed. LRC note: We'd say it's more like Ritz vs. Hall battling, but it was epic. *MB: Discuss *IAAF Recap
*Extremely Deep Results 41st place was 1:03:30.
- Marugame Half Marathon: After Great Battle With Olympic Marathon Champ Tiki Gelana, Kim Smith Beaten At End Gelana went out all alone (15:52) but by 15km Smith had reeled her in and taken the lead before settling for 2nd (69:00 vs. 68:53).
*Men: Collis Birmingham Australian National Record (60:56) - Abel Kirui (62:04), Alistair Cragg (63:14) *IAAF Recap *Full Results
*Tiki Gelana Becomes First Ethiopian Woman To Win The AIMS World Athlete Of The Year Award
Armory Collegiate Invy
- LRC Robby Andrews Just Misses American Indoor 1,000 Mark A week after a disastrous 4:11 mile, Andrews just misses David Krummenacker's 2:17.86 record.
Saturday's US Action *Full BU Results
LRC Galen Rupp Runs 3:50.92 Mile To Become Fifth-Fastest Indoor
Miler Who said Galen Rupp has no speed? The endurance king has become the speed king the last two years and Rupp showed it on Saturday by running 3:50.92 in Boston to become the 2nd-fastest American indoor miler ever behind Bernard Lagat. *Videos
On The Boards: *Rupp runs 3:50!!
*any updates on the BU elite mile?
*Rupp is the 5th fastest indoor miler in history
updated Mary Cain Smashes High School Mile Record By Running 4:32.78 Cain breaking the record may have been expected considering she ran 4:11 last year outdoors for 1,500 (roughly 4:31 for a mile), but Debbie Heald's old record (4:38.5) was the longest record on the books for high school women (from 1971) and Cain absolutely crushed it - and we use that term knowing it is way over-used in track but well-deserved here. In the men's mile, Robby Andrews faded to 4:11.
*What's Better Than Having An Olympian For A Coach? Having Two: With Salazar Living On The Other Side Of The Country, NZ 2004 Olympian John Henwood Has Been Administering Her Workouts In NY
*Video Interview With Mary Cain
OTB: Mary Cain 4:32.78
London Does It Again
LRC 2013 Virgin London Marathon Field Released - Is This The Greatest Men's Marathon Field In History? All we can say is - Wow! The course record holders of all
majors, the Olympic
champ, the WR holder - you name it, they got it. And one the women's side? How about the debut of Tirunesh Dibaba plus 4 of the 5 non-pregnant sub-2:20 runners from last year? So sick.
*Reuters: Dibaba To Race In London Marathon *Discuss
LRC Mary Keitany Is Pregnant With Second Child, Will Miss 2013 London Marathon And Season
Oregon Indoor Mile Record Holder Mac Fleet Is Pumped To Be back On Track After 2 Years Of Injuries Things were so bad last year, he started drinking heavily and tried to tear his plantar on purpose.
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18 minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Want To Watch A Live Stream Of The New Balance Games Or The Armory Collegiate Invitational? It Will Cost You $20 And just think many of you complained that the entire Diamond League Series on UniversalSports.com was too much at $25 with individual meets just $1.99. In our book this doesn't seem to be about track fans, but about getting parents to pay.
The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has
been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Definitely Not Politcally Correct: Chicago Sun-Times Columnist: SFH isn't alone - lots of female distance runners are total nut jobs SFH had "a glint of ferocity in her eyes, of suppressed danger. I saw the look in many of the Wisconsin middle-distance and long-distance female runners. In my book, I made special note of them, of their lapses into near insanity, of their successes and crashes and eating disorders and dependence on their controlling German head coach, Peter Tegen."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No Wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
USATF To Own A Road Race
LRC USATF Gets Into the Road Race Business With the .US National Road Racing Championships Staring this year, USATF will own and operate the season ending road-race to the USA Running Circuit (USARC). It will be a mass participation event over 12k that includes $100,000 in prize money (with $20,000 to the winners). We break down the announcement for you.
A Interesting Read Rojo's 'No Question Goes Unanswered' Interview With Women's Running Website - Saltyrunning.com This is a great
read as Rojo goes back to the
beginning and shares the co-founders vision for the site. He is unfazed when asked if LRC is "elitist, anti-hobbyjogger, and anti-women", he reveals the secrets as to how the site is made each day, and he defends
the no registration policy of the messageboards.
Previous: Saltyrunning's A Girl’s Guide To Letsrun.com
*The LetsRun Interview, Part II: "What I'm about to say is controversial...." Rojo talks about why running will never be as popular as the NFL, PEDs, his own running and who the athletes are to watch in 2013. *MB: Discuss
- 7:54 Steepler Paul Kipsiele Koech Wins Val de Reuil 3000 In 7:38 At Jesse Owens’ Stadium Tuesday Night ther action included Olympic steeple silver medalist Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad losing in the 1500 to Morocco’s Abdelaati Iguider who won with 3:38.24 and US's Mike Rodgers beating out former 100m World champ Kim Collins in the 60m.
- US's Ryan Whiting Dominates Shot Put In pedro's Cup Meet In Bydgoszcz, Poland There was top competition as Germany's two Olympic medallists Bjorn Otto and Raphael Holzdeppe faced off with Otto winning easily as Holzdeppe no heighted. For the women, Olympic silver medallist Yarisley Silva won over Great Britain's 2013 world leader Holly Bleasdale.
- Albany Sweeps America East Conference Titles
- Wilson Kipsang Thinks The WR May Go Down At This Spring's London Marathon And Says He Considers Patrick Makau And Geoffrey Mutai His BIggest Rivals On coming so close to breaking the WR in Frankfurt: "When I see Patrick I always joke with him: 'was it three or four seconds?'"
- First Anniversary Of London Games To Be Marked By Three Days Of Track In The Olympic Stadium Will begin with two days of the Diamond League on July 26-27 followed by a day of Paralympic events on July 28.
- Athletics Weekly Tribute To Rita Ridley, One Of GB's Greatest Distance Runners Who Died From Cancer Earlier This Week She was the 1970 Commonwealth Games 1500m champion.
- Team GB Chef de Mission Andy Hunt Leaves BOA After 4-Year Tenure
Admin News: IOC Won't Reassign Armstrong's Olympic Medal
- Lance Armstrong's Olympic Medal Won't Be Reassigned The IOC asked Armstrong to hand back the his 2000 Sydney Games bronze after he confessed on Oprah. No word if he gave it back yet.
- Penn State Head Coach Beth Alford-Sullivan Named Head Coach For US Women's Team For Moscow World Champs
- South Africa's Olympic Committee Steps In To Help Their In-Debt And Embattled Athletics Federation
- IAAF President Lamine Diack Hails Deceased Jamaican T&F Administrator Neville 'Teddy' McCook As A "Passionate Servant" & "Tireless Administrator"
The Week That Was
LRC The Week That Was: A Bunch Of Nick Symmonds, The Nike .1% Solution, LRC Goes To Japan, And Much More This week we wonder, "Can Nick Symmonds really move up to the 1,500?", LetsRun.com goes to Japan, JK is confirmed to be a genius (yet again), and we wish that Nike would sponsor a "Just Do It Fairly" campaign. Along the way there is talk of Matt Tegenkamp, Dathan Ritzenhein, Al Sal, Mary Cain, Galen Rupp, German Fernandez, Robby Andrews, Leo, Centro, Wheating, Tyson Gay, Dorian Ulrey, Rich Kenah, Sam Mackenzie and Nick Wade.
Drug News: Australia Getting Serious About Anti-Doping
- +1 For Australia: Aussie Olympic Committe Requiring All Its Athletes To Sign "Statutory Declarations" Saying They Have Never Doped The AOC warned, "Any person who wilfully and corruptly makes a false statutory declaration knowing it to be untrue will be guilty of a criminal offence and could face up to 5 years imprisonment."
- Good Cycling Read: WADA President John Fahey Says They Will Conduct An Independent Inquiry Into Cycling If The UCI Agrees To Stay Out Of It Fahey: "Cycling seems to be constantly lurching from crisis to crisis and the UCI must fix that for the good of the sport and everyone that enjoys it."
- WADA Says China Produces The Most Raw Doping Materials "Ninety-nine percent of the raw materials that are used through the internet to make up in your kitchen or your backyard laboratory are emanating from China."
The Kenya-Nike Connection
- Kenyan Newspaper Article Talks About Athletics Kenya Receiving Regular Funding From Nike And How Much It was just over a billion last year.
- AK In Good Financial Health, But Remaining Silent On Details Of Their Sponsorship With Nike Anyone still wondering why the Kenyan 10k Trials were in Eugene?
Kenyan World XC Trials Are Saturday, But Some Top Runners Won't Be There
Is World XC Doomed? Even The Kenyans Don't Wanna Go: Defending World Junior XC Champ Geoffrey Kipsang And Former World 5k Champ Eliud Kipchoge Pull Out Of Saturday's Kenyan XC Champs/World Trials Kipsang is racing the Ras Al Khaimah Half Marathon on Friday instead and Kipchoge is focus on races on the road, saying, "Many senior athletes
are looking at the monetary value in the event compared to the road races and it is logic for them to jump ship." Previously announced - defending World XC champ Vivian Cheruiyot and defending runner-up Linet Masai won't be competing.
*Eliud Kipchoge Says He Will Miss Kenyan World XC Trials To Focus On The Barcelona Half Marathon
International: Bolt Says He "Has Never Been So Nervous"
- Usain Bolt Happy With His 400 Season Opener: "I just wanted to get through it. I have never been so nervous because I hadn't run a 400m in so long," He said he'll probably race a one or two more 400s later this season.
- Aussie LJ Silver Medalist Mitch Watt Pulls Out Of Weekend Meet With Ankle Injury He was supposed to have a 100m showdown with Australian national champ Josh Ross.
- RIP NACAC President/IAAF Council Member Neville McCook
- Brit Coach Simon Nathan Named New High Performance Director For Athletics Australia
- Japan Running News' 2013 Japanese Distance Rankings: Yuki Kawauchi Tops The Marathon List
- Irish Sprinter Brian Gregan Hoping To Win Euro 400 After A Solid Weekend Which Saw Him Beat Jonathan Borlee & Olympic Silver Medalist Luguelin Santos
- Ireland's Former World Silver Medalist Race Walker Olive Loughnane Retires Loughnane said, "Ten years ago people thought there was no difference between what we were doing and a person walking to the shop." ...LRC's response: But today we all know the difference is walking to the shop actually serves a purpose.
- West Ham United Moves A Step Closer To Securing Olympic Stadium Deal As They Reached An Agreement With London 2012 Legacy Chiefs On A Major Issue The big debate was Mayor Boris Johnson wants a cut of any profit if West Ham were sold and it seems West Ham has conceded.
- UK National 60m Champ James Dasaolu Hoping To Medal At European Champs After A Big PR This Past Weekend
Bolt/Blake/Powell Opened Up On Saturday *Results
- Usain Bolt Wins His Section In 46.71 Yohan Blake (46.64) 2nd to Warren Weir (46.23) in SEPARATE section. *Video Of Bolt's Heat
- Bolt: "I felt a bit nervous. I just came out here to win and I'm glad I won injury free." Blake said, "I'm happy with the run, despite the time. I'm just looking forward to the rest of the season."
*Warren Weir: "Speed endurance for me is one of the main things because you can be very fast in the 200m, but if you don't have speed endurance, you won't do well ..."
- Milo Western Relays: Asafa Powell And Nesta Carter Lead Their MVP 4 X 1 Team To Victory With 38.06 Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce led the MVP women's 4 x 1 team to a win with 44.03.
*Interesting Article On What Asafa Powell Is Up To Outside Of Track And What He Wants To Do When He Retires He collects expensive cars, invests in real estate, has started an online shopping company and has his own clothing line called "Sub-10 King."
2013 PSD Bank Meeting In Germany/Flanders Meet In Belgium *PSD: Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Flanders: Full Results
- Flanders: IAAF Recap: Recent XC Star Albert Rop Won A Close 3k In 7:39.59 Over 7:54 Steeplechaser Paul Koech (7:39.75) & Ayanleh Souleiman (7:39.81) Daniel Kipchirchir Komen and Mekonnen Gebremedhin were 4-5. Abraham Rotich won the 800 in 1:46.75 as Angel David Rodriguez won the 60m with Christophe Lemaitre in 4th. In the 400 Ireland's Brian Gregan beat out Belgium's Jonathan Borlée
and Olympic silver medalist Luguelín Santos. The other Borlée twin, Kevin, lost to Czech Republic's Pavel Maslak in the 300. In the women's HJ, 2008 Olympic champ Tia Hellebaut lost to Italian teenager and world leader Alessia Trost.
- PSD: MB: Ayanleh Souleiman Easily Wins 1,500 (3:36.13) And Says He Wants World Record In 1,000 In His Next Race Ayanleh Souleiman ran 3:30 last year at age 19 and is the training partner of Taoufik Makhloufi. Might 2013 belong to Souleiman?
*IAAF Recap: Caleb Ndiku Wins 3,000 (7:38) As Mekhissi Is 3rd (7:43) And Kevin Craddock Runs 7.50 World Leader In 60H Adam Kszczot won the 800 as bronze medallist Tim Kitum was way back.
*Lerone Clarke Runs 6.52
*Ukraine Olympic TJ Bronze Medalist Olha Saladuha Jumps World-Leading 14.52m
- Other Foreign Results: Dutch Heptathlete Eelco Sintnicolaas Scores World Leading 6341 Points At The Netherland's National Championships The mark also puts him 11th on the World all-time list.
*Charles Ndirangu Dominates Chiba International Cross-Country 12K By 25 Seconds Australia's Collis Birmingham was 7th more than a minute back. Rosemary Wanjiru won the women's 8k.
- Olympic Champ Renaud Lavillenie And Cuba's Yarisley Silva Win Pole Vault Stars Meeting In Donetsk, Ukraine Lavillenie is now 6 for 6 this indoor season.
- Pascalia Jepkorir And Kenneth Kimutai Win North Rift XC Senior Titles Jepkorir won over 2008 World Jr. 1,500 champ Stacy Ndiwa.
- Japan Road Action: Japan's Hiroaki Sano Wins Nobeoka In 2:12:14 Marathon Debut
*Takuji Morimoto Wins In A Photo Finish With Daisuke Kumon At Himeijijo 10-Miler (They Both Timed 47:58)
*Yuichiro Ueno Wins Karatsu 10-Miler In 46:56
Random International News
- Mo Farah And Greg Rutherford Pose For Esquire
- Q&A With Elite Marathoner Manager Jos Hermens, Who Manages Haile Gebrselassie And Stephen Kiprotich Hermens: "I understand that there are 80 million people living at high altitude (in India), so there must be good talent in these areas. I am convinced that in future, with right scouting and training, Indian marathoners will be running 2:10, but it will take some years."
- Tuesday In France: Val de Reuil Meet Features Olympic Steeplechase Silver Medalist Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad In The 1,500 & Christophe Lemaitre In 60/200 60m world leader Murielle Ahouré will be up against Bulgaria's European 100m champ Ivet Lalova.
- African Football President Claims That Several African Countries Are Capable Of Hosting The Olympics But Are Being Denied Because Of "Prejudice"
An Inside Look At The Men's Olympic Marathon
- Olympic Champ Stephen Kiprotich Talks About How The Kenyans Tried To Get Him To Lead In London Kiprotich: "It was a championship race and I knew these guys were used to pace makers so I knew it was all about tactics and if you wanted to be the pace maker for them, they would have let you." Abel Kirui said, "We tried to ask him to help in pushing the pace but he declined. We thought he was tiring ..."
Thursday Was A Good Day For Usain Bolt
- Usain Bolt To Play In NBA All-Star Celebrity Game Next Friday Night (2/15)
- Another Tax Break For The Super-Rich (This One We Agree With) Britain Is Waiving Its Tax Rules
To Try To Lure Usain Bolt And Other Track Stars To London DL Meet At Olympic Stadium - Will He Compete? Bolt's agent Ricky Simms, who had pleaded for the change, now says it's late notice and his schedule is relatively full. "It's about two weeks before the World Championships, which is quite late, but it's London and it's the Olympic Stadium again so it obviously has an attraction."
*How The Rules On Tax Work For Sporting Events In The UK
*Without Loophole, Tax Rules For Top Overseas Sports Stars Are "Completely Crazy," Says Usain Bolt's Agent
*UK Athletics Is Promising Affordable Tickets
- Guinness: Usain Bolt/Nissan Billboard In Dubai Is World's Largest (Video)
Today's Running Science
- Bad News For Most College Runners: Study Finds That More Active Men Have Higher Sperm Counts The researchers found that the most active men had 73% greater than the least active men.
- Good News: Study Finds Runners Have Half The Risk Of Osteoarthritis And Hip Replacement As Walkers
2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix *NBIGP Results LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
Men's 3k: LRC Galen Rupp Is Defeated As Hagos Gebrhiwet Sets New World Junior 3,000 Record Of 7:32.87
Women's 2-Mile: LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:38.68 For 2 Miles - The Greatest Distance Performance In US HS Girls History Tirunesh Dibaba was way ahead of the field as she won in 9:13.17.
LRC The Rest Of The 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix - Centro, Lakhouad And Wright Win As Suhr Takes Crack At AR
Saturday *Lagat/Germany Results/Video
LRC Bernard Lagat Runs 7:34.71 For Dominant 3k Win In Germany Lagat blew away 12:48 runner Yenew Alamirew to win by almost 4 seconds in what is the 5th-best 3,000 performance (or 2-mile) in US history.
Rest Of German Meet: Meseret Defar 8:35, G. Dibaba 4:02 As 5 WLs Set In Germany *Full Results
Kenyan Doping News
- And 8 Months Later ... Kenya Still Hasn't Started Investigating The Doping Allegations Made By German Journalist Hajo Seppelt Kind of begs the question, "Do they actually want to catch anyone?"
*MB: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist
- Unnamed Kenyan Marathoner From October's Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon Last October Failed Drug Test AK won’t reveal the name for "legal reasons."
- 32 Kenyans Receive Out-Of-Competition Blood Tests In Kenya However, the tests are still not like the real out of competition tests other nations face as they were given advanced notice and told where and when to show up. AK head Isaiah Kiplagat even said, "There was no impromptu testing. All the 32 athletes had been notified ..."
*David Rudisha And Vivian Cheruiyot Among 32 Tested
9-Year-Old Running Marathon In Antarctica For Charity
- 9-Year-Old Nikolas Toocheck Running A Marathon In Antarctica To Raise Money For Charity That Provides Winter Coats To Children In Need The Antarctica marathon is only one of 7 marathons he's running, one on each continent. Learn more about Nikolas or make a donation at his website here.
2013 Glasgow *Free Mid-D/Distance Race Videos & Results *Full Glasgow Results
LRC Duane Solomon Is The Real Deal - He Breaks US 600 Meter Record With 1:15.70 Win In Scotland
Duane Solomon got rid off Chip Jenkins' record just days before it celebrated its 26th birthday and proved 2012 was far from a fluke. In other action, Bernard Lagat got a win in the 3,000 as Centro was smoked in the 1,500. Plus Geena Gall, Sara Vaughn and more.
*MB: Hrs Later Penn State Sr. Cas Loxsom Just Misses Solomon's New Record When He Runs 1:15.79 He did beat Jenkins' old record of 1:15.80.
Thank God They & Not Us Asked It - Carmelita "The Jet" Jeter Can't Fly Away From The Doping Question Jeter refused to answer the following question: Did Lance Armstrong's confession make "it harder to convince people that athletes in other sports were clean?" Her answer: "Well, I'm going to stay away from anything with that question, thank you."
Who Says It's Just January? *Full UW Results
LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:02.10 For 3,000 - Arguably The Greatest Distance Performance In High School History
MB: *Cain 9:02!!!
*Mary Cain 9:02!!!
*How many boys state 3200/2 mile can mary cain win?
*NOW what do you think about a Baxter-Cain face-off at 3200 / 2-mile? Hmmmm?
Recommended Watch: Very Well Done Documentary On Ryan Vail On The Life Of A Professional Runner "This is my job. It's not about, 'I don't feel like running today' because everyone doesn't feel like going to work today. So I just say, 'This is better than a 9 to 5. Get out there and do your work today. This is going to work. Just get out there and do it.'"
Run, Recover, Run More
LRC Runners Recover Better And Hopefully Stay Injury Free With These Two Products From The 2012 Running Event Wejo talks about some of the injury prevention products he saw at the The Running Event, which include better methods for massage, icing, and compression.
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
Guys Everywhere Celebrate: Aussie Hurdler Michelle Jenneke Featured In Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition She's the hurdler made famous by this YouTube video.
*Aussie Hurdler Michelle Jenneke Will Compete In Sydney Track Classic on March 9
More On Wresting Getting The Axe
- Wresting's Chances At Gaining Back Inclusion Get A Boost As IOC Announced They Will Let The 110 Members Vote On One Of Three Sports Originally the 15 person Executive Board was to recommend only one sport for inclusion, but now the 110 members will be given three choices to vote on.
- WOW: Russian Coach Blames Demise of Olympic Wrestling On "Gay Conspiracy" He said: “If they expel wrestling now, that means that gays will soon run the whole world.”
- IOC president Jacques Rogge Says They Expected Backlash After Cutting Wrestling And Say Fair Process Will Decide The Sport's Fate
- US Politicians Anger Over IOC's Cut Of Wrestling And Have Voiced Their Support For The Sports Inclusion In 2020 Games
- Mom of Olympic Wrestler Upset at IOC's Decision
Wresting Cut From 2020 Olympics
- Modern Pentathlon Is Safe; IOC Kicks Wrestling Out Of The 2020 Olympics Wrestling is one of the oldest sports as it's been in every modern Olympics and made its first appearance at the ancient Olympic Games in 708 B.C. but the IOC is "moving in the direction not of history, but of ratings."
- Wrestling Will Now Have A Chance To Compete Against 7 Other Sports For Inclusion Into The 2020 Games As IOC Will Make A Decision In May Experts say they don't have a very good chance.
- Wrestling Not In The Olympics But Trampoline Is??? USA Today: "5 Olympic Sports That Should Have Gone Before Wrestling" We loved #3 on their list: "Race walking -- This isn't a 'core sport.' It falls under the track and field designation. Still ridiculous."
- Did Politics Play A Role In Saving The Modern Pentathlon? The former IOC president's son is the modern pentathlon vice president.
- Olympic Wrestlers React To IOC Announcement
- Interesting: Spikes-Mag Taks A Look At The "Fly Swat," A Street Event Piece Of Equipment That Combines Pole Vault And Long Jump Runways
- Boston-London Marathon Wheelchair Challenge Offering Up Additional $35,000 Prize Money For Those Who Do Both Races 6 Days Apart
- "Spirit of the Marathon II" Documentary To Be Released In June
- adidas Unveils New Global Brand Strategy
US News: Nick Symmonds Moving To 1,500?
- Nick Symmonds Considering Moving Up To The 1,500; Currently Training In Mexico With Leo Manzano To Get A Feel On Miler Training Symmonds: "Coach [Mark] Rowland and I have always known that we would be making that step up at some point and we are now trying to decide what is the best year to do so."
- Dathan Ritzenhein's Post-US XC Recap He was originally going to race the Millrose 2-Mile against Bernard Lagat & Co., but now has decided to pull out, saying he doesn't think he's sharp enough for it.
- Good Read: US 100m Runner Ryan Bailey Talks About His Inspiring Story Coming From A Life Of Gangs/Crime To Be One Of The Fastest Sprinters In The World
- Lance Armstrong Tops List Of The 10 Most Disliked Athletes In America
- The US Nearing 400 Sub-4 Milers Milestone 388 Americans have gone sub-4 in the mile before this weekend.
- MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Grosse Pointe South Runs US#3 All-Time DMR With 11:37.11
- MileSplit Looks At Prospects For The 2013 World Youth Championships
- US Education Department Says Schools Must Do More To Help Disability Sport
Recommended Read: Former Teen Sensation Caitlin Chock Writes About What It Was Like To Train Under Alberto Salazar The first US HSer to break 16 loved it even though she pretty much disappointed performance-wise.
Big Doping News
- 8:29.00 3ker (#6 All-Time Ind.) Olesya Syreva Banned Thanks To Biological Passport
- 5-Time LJ Silver Medallist Tatyana Kotova Busted For Doping From Re-Test From 2005
- Australian Olympic Association To Change Its By-Laws And Require A Mandatory Anti-Doping Pledge Which If Violated Could Lead To 5 Years In Jail
- WADA Has Reinstated The Anti-Doping Accreditation Of The Laboratory In Madrid, Spain
- SCA Promotions Sues Lance For $12 Million
Week That Was *USATF XC Photo Gallery
LRC Chris Derrick Wins One, The Ageless Deena K, Galen Rupp Getting Beaten, Mary Cain The Real Deal, Doping, And The Photo, Video And Stat Of The Week We span the globe to cover the sport like no other. It was a big week with USATF XC, the New Balance Boston meet, a dual in Japan and much more. Many of America's stars present and possibly future were in action.
The Week That Was In Running - January 21-27, 2013
LRC Rupp & Solomon Improve A Lot, Those That Do And Those That Don't Get LRC, 2:04 Marathons Aren't Special, Putting Mary Cain's Mile Record In Perspective This week we start by telling you there are two types of runners - "those that get LetsRun.com" and "those that don't." We tell you why we think analyzing the improvements of Galen Rupp & Duane Solomon is the very best part of our website - even though we know many (including "A Duck") totally disagree. We then put the record runs from Dubai, Solomon and Mary Cain in perspective before quoting a running executive who says a 2:04 marathon isn't "special" anymore.
A Look At On Running: Run On Clouds
LRC A Look At On Running And The "Cloud" Technology: Shoe Company Started By Former World Class Triathlete Olivier Bernhard was a world class triathlete who was injured with Achilles problems. So what did he do? He started tinkering with his shoes. What did he come up with? A better shoe technology, he thinks. Learn more about Olivier and the "Cloud" technology as LRC starts taking a look at some of the newer shoe companies.
Remembering Will Steele: "The Cancer Guy" Talks About Being Diagnosed And Living Life (Much More Here)
Webb Back In Portland
Confirmed: Alan Webb Has Returned To Portland, Joined Jerry Schumacher's Group And Is Focused On 5/10k Flotrack's Ryan Fenton caught up with the American mile record holder on his 30th B-Day, as a more mature Webb
talked about his recent struggles and the decision to switch to his 4th coach in the last 3.5 years. We give you the highlights as we know most of you don't have 22 minutes to spare. A great read (or watch) depending on how much time you have.
MB: Webb Training in Schumaker's Group, to Focus on 5k/10k in 2013, eventually the Marathon
MB: Happy Belated 30th Bday Alan Webb
A Great Guest Column
PJ Browne A Woman I Used To Know - Suzy Favor Hamilton Guest columnist PJ Browne reflects on Suzy Favor Hamilton and depression in a Recommended Read. "What I can now say about depression is that the irrational and the bizarre become the norm. There is no blueprint in a hit and miss mixture of drugs, incarceration and therapy. In my case, Zoloft turned me into a daring, brazen individual much to the embarrassment of my family."
Ryan Hall Speaks
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About Cam Levins' 190-Mile Weeks And Is Impressed Hall: "It's working for him. My hat's off to him. He inspires me. That's why I started following him on Twitter. I feel like I'm training hard and I'm not doing nearly that kind of training."
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About His Running Shoes Hall says he has different shoes for every speed he runs and that he has an "unhealthy attachment" to the Asics Gel Hyper Speed.
LetsRun.com's 2012 Year In Review
LRC We Say To You The Visitor, "Thanks A Million" For Making 2012 A Record Year For Us Now that the college football bowl season is over, the year is over in our mind and it's time to recap the special year we had in 2012. No matter how you look at it, 2012 was a record year for LetsRun. Unique visitors were up 38.55% and for the first time we surpassed a million unique visitors in a given month. Read the article to find out what our 5 busiest days were, what our 5 least busy days were, our most popular articles, most popular threads and more. Guess what day generated the most page views. Hint: it wasn't even a day during the Olympics or US Olympic Trials.ce Armstrong continues and we wonder if Ashton Eaton would be nothing more than a D3 football star had he stuck with the gridiron. And Jacob Hernandez calls it quits.
Meb And The Mental Side Of Running
LRC Meb Keflezighi Talks About Getting His Start In Running, The Mental/Physical Breakdown Of The Sport Meb: "I really believe during preparation it's 90% physical, 10% mental. When the gun goes off it's 90% mental and 10% being healthy."
NCAA Cross Photo Galleries (Captions Now Added)
Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
Back To Top18-Yr Old Ethiopian Muktar Edris Gets The Win Over A Deep Field In Campaccio XC Race As Kim Conley Gets 4th For The Women He beat out John Kipkoech (12:49 5000) and sub-27 man Geoffrey Kirui by less than a second
as Moses Kipsiro was 4th, Leonard Komon 8th, Euro XC Champ Andrea Lalli 9th and Scott Bauhs 10th. Debele Degefa won the women's race in a
close sprint with Afera Godfay as Conley was 4th and two-time World steeplechase bronze medallist Milcah Chemos 6th.