Last Hot NCAA Action B4 Conference *2013 Husky Classic Was Fri./Sat. - Schedule/Results *All NCAA Results
Iowa: Betsy Saina Moves To #4 All-Time In 5,000i With 15:21.66 (Including oversized tracks) Wichita State's Aliphine Tuliamuk-Bolton was 2nd in 15:25.47.
*Women's Results Heather Kampf won the seeded mile in 4:37.13 as Lisa Uhl won the "unseeded" in 4:48.04. *Men's Results
UW: Andy Bumbalough Edges Evan Jager 3:56.12 To 3:56.14 As Donn Cabral Also Runs 3:56 Six guys ran 3:58 or faster. Charles Jock was last in one of the non-invite sections in 4:14.97.
*Good Video Interview With Chris Solinksy Talking About His First Time On The Track Since 2011 (He Rabbitted The Mile) "I think I'm in about as good a shape as I was in freshman/sophomore year of college right now."
*MB: What happened to Charles Jock?
*Jordan Hasay Destroys Field And Wins By 6+ Seconds In 15:46 *Post-Race Interview With Hasay & Alexi Pappas
*Lopez Lomong Won 800 In 1:46.53 Over Tyler Mulder (1:46.80); Geena Gall Wins Women's Mile In 4:31.75
*Kevin Williams' 13:38 Wins Men's 5k As 22 Guys Break 14:00
*Oregon Gets Two More Sub-4:00 Milers At UW Meet
*Full Results Ryan Hill won the 3k in 7:49.20 over Diego Estrada (7:50.44) as top 10 were 7:53 or faster. Cally Macumber won the women's 3k in 8:59.98.
*Post-Race Video With Ryan Hill Who Says He Wasn't Happy The Top Competition In The 3k Was Split Up In 2 Heats Estrada agrees and was also disappointed he didn't get to race Hill.
IU Hoosier Invy: IU's Zachary Mayhew Wins 3k in 7:51.61 Over Andrew Bayer (7:51.75)
*Race Video: IU's DMR Runs 9:33.43, Ranking Them 2nd In The NCAA This Year Bayer closed with a 3:58.5 1,600 leg.
Arkansas (Tyson): NCAA XC Champ Kennedy Kithuka Runs 13:26 And Wins By 1 Minute +
*Patrick Rono (1:47.66) Spanks Elijah Greer (1:48.42) Chris O'Hare was 2nd in 1:48.28.
*Cross, Rono Win Titles On Day One
*Full Results Riley Masters won the mile in 3:56.25 as the top 5 all went sub-4.
*Master's 3:56.25 Makes Him Maine's Fastest Miler Ever
*Texas Women's 4x4 Runs A Fast 3:30.95
Texas A&M: Henry Lelei Wins 3k And Breaks School Record With 7:55.80 Texas A&M men and women swept the team titles.
*Full Results Nike's Jackie Areson won the mile in 4:39.52.
Other: Washington's Jeremy Taiwo's 6156 Is #3 All-Time In The NCAA And #7 All-Time In US History Taiwo's total of 6,156 points ranks him third in NCAA history and seventh in U.S. history.
*Taiwo Sets Heptathlon High Jump WR At 7 feet, 4½ inches At Boise State Challenge It was a huge PR for him as his previous best was 6-11½.
*Full SPIRE Division I Indoor Track & Field Invite Results
*Cool Idea: University Of Portland Stages "Halftime Mile" During Basketball Game
2013 UK Champs/European Trials Are Saturday/Sunday *Free Live Stream (Starts 9:10am ET Sat. And 9:00 On Sunday) *Schedule/Results
*IAAF UK Champs Recap: Robbie Grabarz Won The HJ In 2.31m And Took A Close Stab At The UK Indoor Record Of 2.39m 2008 Olympic 400 champ (2012 silver) Christine Ohuruogu used the meet as training and came in second in the 200 on Day 2 after going out in the 60m semifinals on Day 1. 2012 World Indoor TJ champ Yamile Aldama won the TJ easily. In the women’s 800m, Marilyn Okoro lost to Ireland’s Claire
*AW Recap: Grabarz: "It was only my second competition so to be jumping that high is pretty good."
*Holly Bleasdale Sets Wins UK European Champs Trials PV With A World-Leading 4.77m
*Athletics Weekly UK European Champs Trials Day 1 Recap
*This Year, UK HJer Robbie Grabarz Will Try To Become Only The 5th Man To Hold The European Indoor And Outdoor HJ Title At The Same Time
Other UK: UKA Head Coach Peter Eriksson Gives Assurance They Will Continue To Fully Support Jessica Ennis Despite Dispute With Her Coach
*Jessica Ennis's Coach Attacks British Athletics For "Lack Of Respect" As He Rejects Their Reduced Package Offer To Coach Her He said he will continue to coach her, but "If that's how I'm valued, it makes sense to leave it."
Previous UK News
- 8 Lane's Preview Of Men's Events At UK Indoor European Trials
- Athletics Weekly: Five To Follow At The UK Indoor Championships
- Interesting Read 800 Runner Celia Taylor Likely To Retire As A "Failed" Runner After European Trials If She Doesn't Break 2:00 The 36-year-old is unlikely to do it as her PR is 2:01 but has written a provocative piece on life as a pro runner.
- 17-Year-Old Sean Malloy (1:48.24 PR) Will Race In European Trials For 1st Time
- Christine Ohuruogu Is Running 60m And 200m And Says She'll Go Out Hard In 400 This Year
- Holly Bleasdale Credits Dan Pfaff With Improvement Ahead Of European Trials And UK Championships
- Sprinter Dwain Chambers Will Miss Saturday's European Indoor Trials In Sheffield With A Back Injury
- LJer Shara Proctor Glad To Have Followed Reider From Florida To GB
- British Athletics Will Be Streamed Live And For Free For 1st Time (Starts 9:10am ET Sat. And 9:00 On Sunday)
More News From The UK:
- Emily Wicks Has Recovered From Mid-Race Collapsed Lung And Is Hoping To Run Sub-2:40 In London
- We Guess Nick Symmonds Won't Be Running Any Road Races Anytime Soon Ian Stewart Quickly Gets A New Job - Recruited By Great Run Organizers
- Oregon Track & Field Rundown: Jerry Schumacher Dishes On Chris Derrick, Matt Tegenkamp And Alan Webb
- Toni Reavis Tells You All About Patrick Makau's Half Marathon Run In Hawaii
Next WeekendMarch 10 "He likes his test race more as a mental break from his 'sleep-run-eat-sleep' that is his complete daily routine in the months before a marathon."
- BU's Valentine Invitational Cancelled Due To Impending Weather *MB: Discussion
- Irish Jr. 800 Record Holder Siofra Cleirigh Buttner Wins 2013 AVIVA Leinster Schools Cross-Country Championships Two weeks ago she ran 2:05 indoors. We imagine NCAA schools would love to have her.
*Sean Tobin Earns Easy Victory At The Aviva/Munster Schools Cross-Country In Waterford
- Celebrity Runners Jimmie Johnson, Michael Waltrip, Kasey Kahne And Aric Almirola (NASCAR Drivers) To Run Daytona Beach Half Marathon
- Collis Birmingham's 60:56 May Be New Aussie NR But Two Australians Have Run Faster
- Australians Dominate 2013 Empire State Building Run-Up *Video Of 2013 Empire State Building Run-Up
Doping News From Australia
- Peptides - Drugs That Increase The Amount Of HGH In The Body - Are Up By 255% In Australia As Only Two Labs In The World Can Test For Them
- Entire Teams In Australia AFL And NRL Doped
A Lot Of Interesting US News
- Gread Interview: Extensive Gary Cohen Interview With Adam Goucher Where He Looks Back At His Entire Career, High School, College, Pro "I look back at my career, look in the mirror and look myself in the eye and know that I did give it my all and did everything I could to be the best I could be physically. I couldn't have tried any harder."
- OTC Elite's Julia Lucas And Russell Brown Speak At "TrackTown Tuesday" Gathering In Eugene Brown is over his Achilles injury which killed his chances at the OT, but will skip indoors to train for outdoors.
*Register-Guard Article Talking about the OT, Lucas said, "Those last few footsteps, my foot was third, but my torso was fourth, and I was left at home. It's been a process, with depression and cookie dough in bed," Lucas said. "But I'm back to where I'm training hard. I look forward to the next four years. Now I fully expect to be an Olympian."
- Crazy Or Genius? Alberto Salazar Has Mary Cain Running With A Shoulder Harness Used By Equestrian Riders To Pull Their Shoulders Back & Improve Form He still thinks she can improve her form a lot more.
- Interesting Read: Delilah DiCrescenzo Writes About How The Hit Plain White T's Song, "Hey There Delilah" Changed Her Life DiCrescenzo: "When my dad heard the lyrics 'Oh what you do to me,' he said, 'Delilah, exactly what did you to do this guy?'"
- Galen Rupp Talks About His Relationship With Mo Farah And Says He's Impressed With How Mo's Willing To Sacrifice Himself For Others "There were times in training when he was still getting over the jet lag and wasn't feeling great and he was still adamant about leading his share of the reps and doing what he could to help out myself and the other guys."
- Jordan Hasay's Advice To Mary Cain: "Go To College" *MB: Mary Cain and college?
- Who Says NASCAR Drivers Aren't Athletes: Several Drivers Running The Daytona Beach Half Marathon The Week Before The Daytona 500
Daring To Ask The PED Question
A Must Read: Daring To Ask The PED Question: "If everyone is secretly suspicious of so many athletic achievements, why aren't we talking about it?" In our last Week That Was, we said, "There are two types of runners - those that either 'get' letsrun.com or don't." Well, sports writer Bill Simmons might not be talking about running, but he definitely "gets" LRC as he explains why questioning today's professional athletic performances in is not only okay, but has become part of sports. As he says, "There is no such thing as 'the benefit of the doubt' anymore. Not in sports. Too many people took advantage. All the benefits are gone." It is for this reason that we allow threads like this one to exist: MB: Solomon suddenly world class and Rupp soloing 3.50 indoor miles - Come on Letsun, ask the questions!
Random US News
- At 30 Years Old, Tyson Gay Wants PRs In The 100,200, & 400 In 2013 Gay is the only athlete in history with a sub-10 100m, sub-20 200m, and sub-45 400m to his name (PRs: 9.69, 19.58, 44.89).
- Galen Rupp Says He Wish He Had Started His Kick Earlier In The Olympic 10,000, But Still Doesn't Know If He Would Have Caught Mo Farah
- Video Interview With Donn Cabral On His New Life As A Pro He's a Nike athlete living in the Northwest, but not in Oregon. He's training in Bellingham, WA under Peter Oviatt.
- Slide Show: Allyson Felix Gets Makover To Look Like Beyoncé
- Cities Starting To Limit Local Road Races As The Numbers Have Increased To A Point It's Hard For Drivers To Get Around On Weekend Mornings
- Updated D1 National Rankings Have Kansas Women And Arkansas Men On Top
Doping And Crime
- Olympic Bottle Thrower Given Eight-Week Community Order And Fined $2,360 He escapes jail time because he suffers from bipolar disorder and was having a "manic episode." However, he did lose his job because of the bad publicity.
- Good News (For Those Who Aren't Doping): New EPO Test Could Help Stamp Out Microdosing
- Dutch Olympic Sprinter Brian Mariano Caught With Cocaine, Gets 6 Months In Prison
2013 USA XC *USA XC Results/Splits *MB: Official 2013 USA XC Thread *LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Chris Derrick!?! - National Champion! link fixed The wait is over. Arguably the greatest American collegiate distance runner not to win an NCAA title, Derrick pulled away from Dathan Ritzenhein and Matt Tegenkamp to win his first national title in his first race as a sponsored pro. It was a good day for Jerry Schumacher's crew as they had 3 of the top 4 in the men's race plus Shalane Flanagan winning the women's.
LRC Shalane Flanagan Wins 2013 Women's US Cross-Country Championships Flanagan was the class of the field (World XC bronze in 2011), but Olympian Kim Conley put up a brave fight. Afterwards, Flanagan said she will not run World XC as she prepares for the Boston marathon.
Jr. Races: *LRC 2013 Jr. Girls Results - William & Mary's Emily Stites Dominates
*LRC 2013 Jr. Boys Results - Ok. State's Craig Nowak Wins
*USATF Athlete Quotes
Great Sunday Action In Japan
A Great Read Kawauchi PRs! On 6th Surge, Yuki Kawauchi (2:08:15) Gets The Best Of Olympic 6th Placer Kentaro Nakamoto (2:08:35) After Truly Epic Battle As Both PR Brett Larner's description of this race is fantastic. "It was as if Americans Meb Keflezighi and Dathan Ritzenhein lined up to go head-to-head at Grandma's Marathon" and truly delivered a mano vs. mano fight where both PRed. LRC note: We'd say it's more like Ritz vs. Hall battling, but it was epic. *MB: Discuss *IAAF Recap
*Extremely Deep Results 41st place was 1:03:30.
- Marugame Half Marathon: After Great Battle With Olympic Marathon Champ Tiki Gelana, Kim Smith Beaten At End Gelana went out all alone (15:52) but by 15km Smith had reeled her in and taken the lead before settling for 2nd (69:00 vs. 68:53).
*Men: Collis Birmingham Australian National Record (60:56) - Abel Kirui (62:04), Alistair Cragg (63:14) *IAAF Recap *Full Results
*Tiki Gelana Becomes First Ethiopian Woman To Win The AIMS World Athlete Of The Year Award
Armory Collegiate Invy Was Friday/Saturday *All College Meet Results In US
- LRC Robby Andrews Just Misses American Indoor 1,000 Mark A week after a disastrous 4:11 mile, Andrews just misses David Krummenacker's 2:17.86 record.
- Results: *Men College *Women College *HS/Open
- Ajee Wilson Runs 2:05.54 To Win Open 800 At The Armory
- Oregon Men's DMR Recovers From Fall To Get 2nd To Stanford At Armory Collegiate Meet Stanford won in 9:34.20 with OU 9:35.06 and Arkansas was third at 9:35.50.
- LSU Women Win Armory Collegiate Team Title LSU men were runner-up to Texas A&M.
- Other NCAA: Hilton Garden Invitational: 3 Go Sub-4 As Cory Leslie Wins In 3:57.81 Over Pete van der Westhuizen And Matthew Elliott
- Notre Dame Meyo Invitational Results: Geena Gall Wins 800 In 2:03.33 Miss. State's Brandon McBride won the men's 800 in 1:47.74.
- Diego Estrada Wins NAU Mountain T's Invitational Mile In 4:12.58 (4:03 With Altitude Conversion)
- Nebraska Husker Invitational Results
- Penn State Sykes & Sabock Challenge Results
- Other HS: MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage
Saturday's US Action *Full BU Results
LRC Galen Rupp Runs 3:50.92 Mile To Become Fifth-Fastest Indoor
Miler Who said Galen Rupp has no speed? The endurance king has become the speed king the last two years and Rupp showed it on Saturday by running 3:50.92 in Boston to become the 2nd-fastest American indoor miler ever behind Bernard Lagat. *Videos
On The Boards: *Rupp runs 3:50!!
*any updates on the BU elite mile?
*Rupp is the 5th fastest indoor miler in history
updated Mary Cain Smashes High School Mile Record By Running 4:32.78 Cain breaking the record may have been expected considering she ran 4:11 last year outdoors for 1,500 (roughly 4:31 for a mile), but Debbie Heald's old record (4:38.5) was the longest record on the books for high school women (from 1971) and Cain absolutely crushed it - and we use that term knowing it is way over-used in track but well-deserved here. In the men's mile, Robby Andrews faded to 4:11.
*What's Better Than Having An Olympian For A Coach? Having Two: With Salazar Living On The Other Side Of The Country, NZ 2004 Olympian John Henwood Has Been Administering Her Workouts In NY
*Video Interview With Mary Cain
OTB: Mary Cain 4:32.78
*Other HS: MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Edward Cheserek Wins NB Invite Mile In 4:10.92
*Q&A With Edward Cheserek Asking A Lot About His Move To The US From Kenya
*Sarah Baxter Named Gatorade Runner Of The Year For XC, Presented To Her By Allyson Felix
Oregonian's Ken Goe Against High Price Pay-Per-View Track Broadcasts
London Does It Again
LRC 2013 Virgin London Marathon Field Released - Is This The Greatest Men's Marathon Field In History? All we can say is - Wow! The course record holders of all
majors, the Olympic
champ, the WR holder - you name it, they got it. And one the women's side? How about the debut of Tirunesh Dibaba plus 4 of the 5 non-pregnant sub-2:20 runners from last year? So sick.
*Reuters: Dibaba To Race In London Marathon *Discuss
LRC Mary Keitany Is Pregnant With Second Child, Will Miss 2013 London Marathon And Season
Oregon Indoor Mile Record Holder Mac Fleet Is Pumped To Be back On Track After 2 Years Of Injuries Things were so bad last year, he started drinking heavily and tried to tear his plantar on purpose.
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18 minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Want To Watch A Live Stream Of The New Balance Games Or The Armory Collegiate Invitational? It Will Cost You $20 And just think many of you complained that the entire Diamond League Series on UniversalSports.com was too much at $25 with individual meets just $1.99. In our book this doesn't seem to be about track fans, but about getting parents to pay.
Dying Too Young
LRC 4-Time World Marathon Majors Runner-Up Abderrahim Goumri Has Died At Age 36 The former MAR national record holder at 2:05:30, who once ran 12:50 for 5k and was twice
the runner-up in New York, has been killed in a car accident. Goumri was busted for drugs due to the biological passport last summer.
Former 10k World Record Holder Samson Kimobwa, Who Ran 27:30.47 On June 30, 1977 In Helsinki, Has Died Suddenly At Age 58 Interesting fact - he coached Boaz Cheboiywo in Kenya and went to Washington State. *Wikipedia Page
*IAAF Tribute To Samson Kimobwa And Abderahim Goumri
Houston Marathon/Half Was Sunday
LRC Ethiopians Feyisa Lilesa And Mamitu Daska Win 2013 Aramco Houston Half Marathon The performance of the day belonged to Daska, who was dominant on US soil just as she was in all of 2012. Shadrack Biwott (62:23) and Lisa Uhl (73:28) were the top Americans as Luke Puskedra and Aaron
Braun also broke 63.
LRC Bazuk Worku (2:10:17) And Merima Mohammed (2:23:27) Win 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon Titles The former WJr. record holder picked up marathon win #1 as Andrew Carlson (2:17:16) and Tera Moody (2:39:10) took top American honors.
RRW: Ethiopians Sweep Titles At Cold, Wet 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Half Marathon Includes quotes from Biwott, Carlson, Uhl.
The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has
been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Definitely Not Politcally Correct: Chicago Sun-Times Columnist: SFH isn't alone - lots of female distance runners are total nut jobs SFH had "a glint of ferocity in her eyes, of suppressed danger. I saw the look in many of the Wisconsin middle-distance and long-distance female runners. In my book, I made special note of them, of their lapses into near insanity, of their successes and crashes and eating disorders and dependence on their controlling German head coach, Peter Tegen."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
Bolt/Blake/Powell Opened Up On Saturday *Results
- Usain Bolt Wins His Section In 46.71 Yohan Blake (46.64) 2nd to Warren Weir (46.23) in SEPARATE section. *Video of Bolt's heat
- Bolt: "I felt a bit nervous. I just came out here to win and I'm glad I won injury free." Blake said, "I'm happy with the run, despite the time. I'm just looking forward to the rest of the season."
*Warren Weird: "Speed endurance for me is one of the main things because you can be very fast in the 200m, but if you don't have speed endurance, you won't do well..."
- Milo Western Relays: Asafa Powell And Nesta Carter Lead Their MVP 4 X 1 Team To Victory With 38.06 Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce led the MVP women's 4 x 1 team to a win with 44.03.
*Interesting Article On What Asafa Powell Is Up To Outside Of Track And What He Wants To Do When He Retires He collects expensive cars, invests in real estate, has started an online shopping company and has his own clothing line called "Sub-10 King."
2013 PSD Bank Meeting In Germany/Flanders Meet In Belgium *PSD: Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Flanders: Full Results
- Flanders: IAAF Recap: Recent XC Star Albert Rop Won A Close 3k in 7:39.59 Over 7:54 Steeplechaser Paul Koech (7:39.75) & Ayanleh Souleiman (7:39.81) Daniel Kipchirchir Komen and Mekonnen Gebremedhin were 4-5. Abraham Rotich won the 800 in 1:46.75 as Angel David Rodriguez won the 60m with Christophe Lemaitre in 4th. In the 400 Ireland's Brian Gregan beat out Belgium's Jonathan Borlée
and Olympic silver medalist Luguelín Santos. The other Borlée twin, Kevin, lost to Czech Republic’s Pavel Maslak in the 300. In the women's HJ 2008 Olympic champ Tia Hellebaut lost to Italian teenager and world leader Alessia Trost.
- PSD: MB: Ayanleh Souleiman Easily Wins 1,500 (3:36.13) And Says He Wants World Record In 1,000 In His Next Race Ayanleh Souleiman ran 3:30 last year at age 19 and is the training partner of Taoufik Makhloufi. Might 2013 belong to Souleiman?
*IAAF Recap: Caleb Ndiku Wins 3,000 (7:38) As Mekhissi Is 3rd (7:43) And Kevin Craddock Runs 7.50 World Leader In 60H Adam Kszczot won the 800 as bronze medallist Tim Kitum was way back.
*Lerone Clarke Runs 6.52
*Ukraine Olympic TJ Bronze Medalist Olha Saladuha Jumps World-Leading 14.52m
- Other Foreign Results: Dutch Heptathlete Eelco Sintnicolaas Scores World Leading 6341 Points At The Netherland's National Championships The mark also puts him 11th on the World all-time list.
*Charles Ndirangu Dominates Chiba International Cross-Country 12K By 25 Seconds Australia's Collis Birmingham was 7th more than a minute back. Rosemary Wanjiru won the women's 8k.
- Olympic Champ Renaud Lavillenie And Cuba's Yarisley Silva Win Pole Vault Stars Meeting In Donetsk, Ukraine Lavillenie is now 6 for 6 this indoor season.
- Pascalia Jepkorir And Kenneth Kimutai Win North Rift XC Senior Titles Jepkorir won over 2008 World Jr. 1,500 champ Stacy Ndiwa.
- Japan Road Action: Japan's Hiroaki Sano Wins Nobeoka In 2:12:14 Marathon Debut
*Takuji Morimoto Wins In A Photo Finish With Daisuke Kumon At Himeijijo 10-Miler (They Both Timed 47:58)
*Yuichiro Ueno Wins Karatsu 10-Miler In 46:56
Random International News
- Mo Farah And Greg Rutherford Pose For Esquire
- Q&A With Elite Marathoner Manager Jos Hermens Who Manages Haile Gebrselassie And Stephen Kiprotich Hermens: “I understand that there are 80 million people living at high altitude (in India), so there must be good talent in these areas. I am convinced that in future, with right scouting and training, Indian marathoners will be running 2:10, but it will take some years.”
- Tuesday In France: Val de Reuil Meet Features Olympic Steeplechase Silver Medalist Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad In The 1500 & Christophe Lemaitre In 60/200 60m World leader Murielle Ahouré will be up against Bulgaria's European 100m champ Ivet Lalova.
- African Football President Claims That Several African Countries Are Capable Of Hosting The Olympics But Are Being Denied Because Of "Prejudice"
An Inside Look At The Men's Olympic Marathon
- Olympic Champ Stephen Kiprotich Talks About How The Kenyans Tried To Get Him To Lead In London Kiprotich: "It was a championship race and I knew these guys were used to pace makers so I knew it was all about tactics and if you wanted to be the pace maker for them, they would have let you." Abel Kirui said, "We tried to ask him to help in pushing the pace but he declined. We thought he was tiring ..."
Thursday Was A Good Day For Usain Bolt
- Usain Bolt To Play In NBA All-Star Celebrity Game Next Friday Night (2/15)
- Another Tax Break For The Super-Rich (This One We Agree With) Britain Is Waiving Its Tax Rules
To Try To Lure Usain Bolt And Other Track Stars To London DL Meet At Olympic Stadium - Will He Compete? Bolt's agent Ricky Simms, who had pleaded for the change, now says it's late notice and his schedule is relatively full. "It's about two weeks before the World Championships, which is quite late, but it's London and it's the Olympic Stadium again so it obviously has an attraction."
*How The Rules On Tax Work For Sporting Events In The UK
*Without Loophole, Tax Rules For Top Overseas Sports Stars Are "Completely Crazy," Says Usain Bolt's Agent
*UK Athletics Is Promising Affordable Tickets
- Guinness: Usain Bolt/Nissan Billboard In Dubai Is World's Largest (Video)
- Geoffrey Mutai Leads Field Of 10 Sub-60 Minute Runners For Next Weekend's RAK Half Marathon Also in the field is Former London winner Emmanuel Mutai (60:03), Stephen Kibet (58:54), Ezekiel Chebii (59:05), Feyisa Lelisa (59:22), 2:04:50 marathoner Getu Feleke. Florence Kiplagat (66:38) leads the women's field with Olympic marathon silver medallist Priscah Jeptoo and sub-2:20 marathoner Lucy Wangui Kabuu.
- Patrick Makau Wants To Break His Own WR At This Year's London Marathon Although he said he would skip the London Marathon if he was chosen ahead of time for the Moscow World Champs. He'll run the Hapalua Hawaii's Half Marathon on March 10 as a tune-up.
- Good Video: Yuki Kawauchi Vs. Kentaro Nakamoto Highlights Video From The Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon Kawauchi knows how to hurt as he seems to run most of his race with his teeth gritted.
- Olympic Ticket Conman Who Sold $78,000 Worth Of Fake London Games Tickets, Gets Four-And-A-Half Years In Prison The guy even cheated a children's charity out of $12,900 and many victims already booked travel arrangements before they figured out it was a scam.
- Somalia President Wants Mo Farah To "Help Secure The Country's Stability" By Returning And Working For The Somalia Government A spokesman for Mo Farah said he had already demonstrated his willingness to help Somalia to recover from war by setting up the Mo Farah Foundation which builds schools and provides health services.
- Athletes/Coaches Call On Seb Coe To Help Save Local Cornwall Track From Being Demolished
- France: France's Olympic PV Champ Renaud Lavillenie Enjoys Vaulting So Much He Built A Runway At Home In His Garden Lavillenie also said he doesn't drink a lot, "Not even to celebrate winning the Olympics."
- BVI: British Virgin Islands' Tahesia Harrigan-Scott Offers $1,000 To Whoever Breaks Her 11.13 100m NR
Millrose Is Next Weekend
- Millrose Games Elite Fields Announced Highlights will be the men's mile with Matt Centrowitz, Robby Andrews, Miles Batty, Donn Cabral, Lawi Lalang and Lopez Lomong among others. The women's mile has Emma Coburn, Abbey D'Agostino,
Mary Cain, Sheila Reid and
Men's 2-mile: Bernard Lagat, Andrew Bumbalough, Edward Cheserek, Evan Jager, Cam Levins and Dathan Ritzenhein.
*MB: Centrowitz: Will he get the AR at Millrose?
Today's Running Science
- Bad News For Most College Runners: Study Finds That More Active Men Have Higher Sperm Counts The researchers found that the most active men had 73% greater than the least active men.
- Good News: Study Finds Runners Have Half The Risk Of Osteoarthritis And Hip Replacement As Walkers
2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix *NBIGP Results LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
Men's 3k: LRC Galen Rupp Is Defeated As Hagos Gebrhiwet Sets New World Junior 3,000 Record Of 7:32.87
Women's 2-Mile: LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:38.68 For 2 Miles - The Greatest Distance Performance In US HS Girls History Tirunesh Dibaba was way ahead of the field as she won in 9:13.17.
LRC The Rest Of The 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix - Centro, Lakhouad And Wright Win As Suhr Takes Crack At AR
*New: Boston Globe Recap: Salazar: Rupp "still a little tired from last week"
*RRW: Hagos Gebrhiwet And Mary Cain Set Distance Records At 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix
*AP Recap: Dibaba Wanted To Go Faster, Al Sal Happy With Cain Salazar: "I think she did great. I told her to forget about the first couple of girls. Your job is to compete for second place."
*Boston Herald: Mary Cain Plenty Able To Make History
*IAAF Recap: Dibaba Was Annoyed The Pacemaker Didn't Go Faster In Her 2-Mile Win As She Missed Meseret Defar's 9:10 Ethiopian Record
*USATF Athlete Quotes
*MileSplit Recap Of Cain's 2-Mile
Saturday *Lagat/Germany Results/Video
LRC Bernard Lagat Runs 7:34.71 For Dominant 3k Win In Germany Lagat blew away 12:48 runner Yenew Alamirew to win by almost 4 seconds in what is the 5th-best 3,000 performance (or 2-mile) in US history.
Rest Of German Meet: Meseret Defar 8:35, G. Dibaba 4:02 As 5 WLs Set In Germany *Full Results
- Worth A Read: Very Interesting Q&A With Matt Scherer, Who Gives Some Great Insight Into The Life/Training Of A Professional Rabbit Asked if he ever thinks about finishing the races he paces he said, "My job is to eliminate as many variables as I can for the other athletes ... If they all have to wonder whether or not I was going to step off the track or not, I don't think I'd get many more jobs."
- Recommended Read: Toni Reavis Talks To Alberto Salazar About Galen Rupp's Training/Future A lot of good quotes from Salazar and Rupp, including - Salazar: "2008 was the last time Galen was injured. He strained a groin after doing a tempo run on grass. That was the last time in four years when he missed any training. In that time he hasn't missed five days of training or some alternative like the Alter G or treadmill work. Uninterrupted training is huge!"
- Alberto Salazar Says Galen Rupp Is Still Hungry And Isn't Satisfied Yet "Galen always has been disciplined, but right now he is leading a very Spartan life. Well, he's living in a nice house. But all he does is run, rest and spend time with his wife. He's either training or recovering 24 hours a day."
- RR: It Was 50 Years Ago This Sunday That Bill Bowerman Started The American Jogging Craze, Which He Brought Back From NZ UI runner Dyrol Burleson: "It was kind of fascinating. Until that day you didn't see a bunch of older people - housewives, professors - jogging around a track. Suddenly, things changed."
Kenyan News: Doping And Vivian Cheruiyot Sitting Out World XC
- Unnamed Kenyan Marathoner From October's Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon Last October Failed Drug Test AK won’t reveal the name for "legal reasons."
- 32 Kenyans Receive Out-Of-Competition Blood Tests In Kenya However, the tests are still not like the real out of competition tests other nations face as they were given advanced notice and told where and when to show up. AK head Isaiah Kiplagat even said, "There was no impromptu testing. All the 32 athletes had been notified ..."
*David Rudisha And Vivian Cheruiyot Among 32 Tested
- Defending Champion Vivian Cheruiyot Won't Defend Her World XC Champs Title In Poland Her coach says she wants to focus on Worlds. He also said that after this year she'll move up to the half marathon.
Other Drug Related News
- For Those Who Think PED Use Should Be Legal: Off-The-Counter Energy Stimulant Linked To Death Of London Marathon Charity Runner Who Died Of A Heart Attack She unknowingly used a DMAA-containing stimulant (Jack3d), which was legal at the time but has since been banned.
- Colombian 400 Runner Diego Palomeque Gets 2-Year Ban For Positive Test During London Olympics
9-Year-Old Running Marathon In Antarctica For Charity
- 9-Year-Old Nikolas Toocheck Running A Marathon In Antarctica To Raise Money For Charity That Provides Winter Coats To Children In Need The Antarctica marathon is only one of 7 marathons he's running, one on each continent. Learn more about Nikolas or make a donation at his website here.
Good Doping News: IAAF Does Blood Tests In The Rift Valley
- In Response To German Report's Allegations, For First Time Ever, IAAF Conducts Out-Of-Season Blood Tests On Kenyans Training In The Rift Valley An IAAF insider said the operation was carried out with the full support of Athletics Kenya, but "In the beginning it was hard to convince them, but we managed it." Should the IAAF really have to convince Kenya it's okay to test their athletes?
2013 Glasgow *Free Mid-D/Distance Race Videos & Results *Full Glasgow Results
LRC Duane Solomon Is The Real Deal - He Breaks US 600 Meter Record With 1:15.70 Win In Scotland
Duane Solomon got rid off Chip Jenkins' record just days before it celebrated its 26th birthday and proved 2012 was far from a fluke. In other action, Bernard Lagat got a win in the 3,000 as Centro was smoked in the 1,500. Plus Geena Gall, Sara Vaughn and more.
*MB: Hrs Later Penn State Sr. Cas Loxsom Just Misses Solomon's New Record When He Runs 1:15.79 He did beat Jenkins' old record of 1:15.80.
Thank God They & Not Us Asked It - Carmelita "The Jet" Jeter Can't Fly Away From The Doping Question Jeter refused to answer the following question: Did Lance Armstrong's confession make "it harder to convince people that athletes in other sports were clean?" Her answer: "Well, I'm going to stay away from anything with that question, thank you."
LRC Lukas Verzbicas' Comeback Continues With 21:02 4-Mile Win We're calling this kid "The Real Lance" as he is a comeback-from-near-death athlete you can believe in.
Who Says It's Just January? *Full UW Results
LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:02.10 For 3,000 - Arguably The Greatest Distance Performance In High School History
MB: *Cain 9:02!!!
*Mary Cain 9:02!!!
*How many boys state 3200/2 mile can mary cain win?
*NOW what do you think about a Baxter-Cain face-off at 3200 / 2-mile? Hmmmm?
Video: Kenyan Runner Edwin Kipsang Rotich Was Attacked During Brazil's New Year's Eve Kings Run 10k, But Still Went On To Win Police said the attacker has a history of mental problems and doing stunts like this. Rotich was unfazed at the finish as he didn't even mention the attack in his post-race interview. *Longer Video
Recommended Watch: Very Well Done Documentary On Ryan Vail On The Life Of A Professional Runner "This is my job. It's not about, 'I don't feel like running today' because everyone doesn't feel like going to work today. So I just say, 'This is better than a 9 to 5. Get out there and do your work today. This is going to work. Just get out there and do it.'"
Random US News: Lauren Fleshman Responds To You
- Lauren Fleshman Responds To LRC MB Posters: "Why I'm No Longer With Nike" Fleshman responds directly to LRC message board posters who came up with "several interesting speculations" as to why and how she left Nike.
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No Wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
Run, Recover, Run More
LRC Runners Recover Better And Hopefully Stay Injury Free With These Two Products From The 2012 Running Event Wejo talks about some of the injury prevention products he saw at the The Running Event, which include better methods for massage, icing, and compression.
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
US News: Nick Symmonds Moving To 1,500?
- Nick Symmonds Considering Moving Up To The 1,500; Currently Training In Mexico With Leo Manzano To Get A Feel On Miler Training Symmonds: "Coach [Mark] Rowland and I have always known that we would be making that step up at some point and we are now trying to decide what is the best year to do so."
- Dathan Ritzenhein's Post-US XC Recap He was originally going to race the Millrose 2-Mile against Bernard Lagat and co., but now has decided to pull out, saying he doesn't think he's sharp enough for it.
- Good Read: US 100m Runner Ryan Bailey Talks About His Inspiring Story Coming From A Life Of Gangs/Crime To Be One Of The Fastest Sprinters In The World
- Lance Armstrong Tops List Of The 10 Most Disliked Athletes In America
- The US Nearing 400 Sub-4 Milers Milestone 388 Americans have gone sub-4 in the mile before this weekend.
- MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Grosse Pointe South Runs US#3 All-Time DMR With 11:37.11
- MileSplit Looks At Prospects For The 2013 World Youth Championships
- US Education Department Says Schools Must Do More To Help Disability Sport
Recommended Read: Former Teen Sensation Caitlin Chock Writes About What It Was Like To Train Under Alberto Salazar The first US HSer to break 16 loved it even though she pretty much disappointed performance-wise.
Big Doping News
- 8:29.00 3ker (#6 All-Time Ind.) Olesya Syreva Banned Thanks To Biological Passport
- 5-Time LJ Silver Medallist Tatyana Kotova Busted For Doping From Re-Test From 2005
- Australian Olympic Association To Change Its By-Laws And Require A Mandatory Anti-Doping Pledge Which If Violated Could Lead To 5 Years In Jail
- WADA Has Reinstated The Anti-Doping Accreditation Of The Laboratory In Madrid, Spain
- SCA Promotions Sues Lance For $12 Million
Week That Was *USATF XC Photo Gallery
LRC Chris Derrick Wins One, The Ageless Deena K, Galen Rupp Getting Beaten, Mary Cain The Real Deal, Doping, And The Photo, Video And Stat Of The Week We span the globe to cover the sport like no other. It was a big week with USATF XC, the New Balance Boston meet, a dual in Japan and much more. Many of America's stars present and possibly future were in action.
- List Of Clemson's Track And Field NCAA Violations In The Wake Of Head Coach Lawrence Johnson's Resignation (link fixed) Violations include using an ineligible athlete, giving "impermissible school expenses" for an athlete training for a foreign country's Olympic team, a runner getting a pair of shoes from a volunteer assistant coach and giving a recruit bottled water.
- San Francisco Considering Bid For '24 Olympics
Doping And Layoffs
- And 8 Months Later ... Kenya Still Hasn't Started Investigating The Doping Allegations Made By German Journalist Hajo Seppelt Kind of begs the question, "Do they actually want to catch anyone?"
*MB: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist
- Ian Stewart Leaves Position As Head Of UK Athletics Long Distance Amid Angry Scenes
*MB: Nick Symmonds is smiling somewhere: "(Ian) Stewart leaves British athletics under a cloud"
- Football Coach At Texas Had Relations With A Student As Did Head Track Coach Bev Kearney But Kept His Job While Kearney Was Fired
- Russian Middle-Distance Runner Olesya Syreva And Marathoner Mikhail Lemaev Test Positive And Get 2-Year Ban Syreva was the European indoor silver medalist.
The Week That Was In Running - January 21-27, 2013
LRC Rupp & Solomon Improve A Lot, Those That Do And Those That Don't Get LRC, 2:04 Marathons Aren't Special, Putting Mary Cain's Mile Record In Perspective This week we start by telling you there are two types of runners - "those that get LetsRun.com" and "those that don't." We tell you why we think analyzing the improvements of Galen Rupp & Duane Solomon is the very best part of our website - even though we know many (including "A Duck") totally disagree. We then put the record runs from Dubai, Solomon and Mary Cain in perspective before quoting a running executive who says a 2:04 marathon isn't "special" anymore.
A Look At On Running: Run On Clouds
LRC A Look At On Running And The "Cloud" Technology: Shoe Company Started By Former World Class Triathlete Olivier Bernhard was a world class triathlete who was injured with Achilles problems. So what did he do? He started tinkering with his shoes. What did he come up with? A better shoe technology, he thinks. Learn more about Olivier and the "Cloud" technology as LRC starts taking a look at some of the newer shoe companies.
More Lance Updates
- Look Who's Talking: Lance Armstrong Calls Pat McQuaid Pathetic Armstrong: "Pat is just in constant CYA [Cover Your Ass] mode. Pathetic."
- Exclusive CyclingNews.com Q&A With Lance Armstrong
- WADA Calls UCI "Deceitful"
- Pat McQuaid Accuses WADA Of "Personal Vendetta" Against Cycling
- UCI Decision To Drop Armstrong Probe Was Largely "Financial"
- WADA Is Outraged As Cycling Decides To Scrap The Independent Commission It Set Up To Investigate The Lance Armstrong Affair
- Did You Miss USADA Head Tygart On 60 Minutes? Watch His 17-Minute Appearance Here
Remembering Will Steele: "The Cancer Guy" Talks About Being Diagnosed And Living Life (Much More Here)
Dayron Robles Retiring?
- 2008 Olympic 110H Champ Dayron Robles Says He Will No Longer Compete For Cuba He said he is through running for Cuba but offered no other details in a "brief telephone interview."
*This Article Says That Robles Is Retiring With Quotes From Top Officials
Week That Was
LRC The Week That Was: More Lance, Shoe Company Talent, A Cool Video, Photo And More We've got a cool video from France of Mo Farah, Galen Rupp and Dathan Ritzenhein, a cool photo from the Nike campus, some Hansons-Brooks news, and we delve further into everything Lance and what can be done about cleaning up the sport. Plus Ireland, the Euro XC champions, waves the white flag on World XC.
Webb Back In Portland
Confirmed: Alan Webb Has Returned To Portland, Joined Jerry Schumacher's Group And Is Focused On 5/10k Flotrack's Ryan Fenton caught up with the American mile record holder on his 30th B-Day, as a more mature Webb
talked about his recent struggles and the decision to switch to his 4th coach in the last 3.5 years. We give you the highlights as we know most of you don't have 22 minutes to spare. A great read (or watch) depending on how much time you have.
MB: Webb Training in Schumaker's Group, to Focus on 5k/10k in 2013, eventually the Marathon
MB: Happy Belated 30th Bday Alan Webb
A Great Guest Column
PJ Browne A Woman I Used To Know - Suzy Favor Hamilton Guest columnist PJ Browne reflects on Suzy Favor Hamilton and depression in a Recommended Read. "What I can now say about depression is that the irrational and the bizarre become the norm. There is no blueprint in a hit and miss mixture of drugs, incarceration and therapy. In my case, Zoloft turned me into a daring, brazen individual much to the embarrassment of my family."
Ryan Hall Speaks
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About Cam Levins' 190-Mile Weeks And Is Impressed Hall: "It's working for him. My hat's off to him. He inspires me. That's why I started following him on Twitter. I feel like I'm training hard and I'm not doing nearly that kind of training."
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About His Running Shoes Hall says he has different shoes for every speed he runs and that he has an "unhealthy attachment" to the Asics Gel Hyper Speed.
LetsRun.com's 2012 Year In Review
LRC We Say To You The Visitor, "Thanks A Million" For Making 2012 A Record Year For Us Now that the college football bowl season is over, the year is over in our mind and it's time to recap the special year we had in 2012. No matter how you look at it, 2012 was a record year for LetsRun. Unique visitors were up 38.55% and for the first time we surpassed a million unique visitors in a given month. Read the article to find out what our 5 busiest days were, what our 5 least busy days were, our most popular articles, most popular threads and more. Guess what day generated the most page views. Hint: it wasn't even a day during the Olympics or US Olympic Trials.ce Armstrong continues and we wonder if Ashton Eaton would be nothing more than a D3 football star had he stuck with the gridiron. And Jacob Hernandez calls it quits.
Meb And The Mental Side Of Running
LRC Meb Keflezighi Talks About Getting His Start In Running, The Mental/Physical Breakdown Of The Sport Meb: "I really believe during preparation it's 90% physical, 10% mental. When the gun goes off it's 90% mental and 10% being healthy."
NCAA Cross Photo Galleries (Captions Now Added)
Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
Back To Top18-Yr Old Ethiopian Muktar Edris Gets The Win Over A Deep Field In Campaccio XC Race As Kim Conley Gets 4th For The Women He beat out John Kipkoech (12:49 5000) and sub-27 man Geoffrey Kirui by less than a second
as Moses Kipsiro was 4th, Leonard Komon 8th, Euro XC Champ Andrea Lalli 9th and Scott Bauhs 10th. Debele Degefa won the women's race in a
close sprint with Afera Godfay as Conley was 4th and two-time World steeplechase bronze medallist Milcah Chemos 6th.