USA XC Is Today *Live Webcast February 2nd 10:15AM ET *USA XC Meet Site
LRC USATF XC Preview: Shalane Vs. Deena, 10 Sub-28 Minuters, Including Ritz And Teg, Square Off World XC returns this year and just in time many of the sports stars are back for this weekend's USATF XC Champs hoping to earn a spot to the Worlds. We break down the fields than include Shalane Flanagan and Deena Kastor,
plus Dathan Ritzenhein and ten sub-28 minute men.
*LRC Cold And Windy Conditions Expected For 2013 USA Cross-Country Championships
*RunnerSpace Q&A With Matt Tegenkamp Ahead Of US XC Asked if he'd be doing a half in 2012, he said, "Maybe a half…maybe a full…never know."
*Q&A With Elliot Heath Who Is Roommates With Evan Jager, Chriss Derrick and German Fernandez Will Be Racing Former Stanford Teammates Talking about his housemates: "We have gotten into watching the HBO show Entourage together. We are about halfway through the whole series right now, and we joke around a lot about which one of use would be each character in the show. If you are wondering, Evan is Vince, German is Turtle, Chris is Ari and I am “E”. We are looking for a Drama to join the gang.
*Emily Infeld: "I want to put myself in a position to be in the hunt for top six."
*Q&A With Kim Conley: "I have had St Louis circled on the calendar for two years now with the hope of making a World Cross team."
*USATF US XC Champs Preview, Including Junior Races
Armory Collegiate Invy Is Friday/Saturday *Schedule/Live Results *Meet Website *Entries: *Men *Women
- LRC Robby Andrews Just Misses American Indoor 1,000 Mark A week after a disastrous 4:11 mile, Andrews just misses David Krummenacker's 2:17.86 record.
- USTFCCCA College Weekend Preview: 22 Of 50 Men And Women's Ranked Teams Will Be At The Armory
- Other NCAA: Heat Sheets For Saturday's Notre Dame Meyo Invitational *Meet Site/Schedule *Live Results
- Army-Navy Star Meet Set For Sunday At West Point
US Pros In The News
- Luke Puskedra Joins Alberto Salazar And The Nike Oregon Project
- Worth a Read: Very Interesting Q&A With Matt Scherer Who Gives Some Great Insight Into The Life/Training Of A Professional Rabbit Asked if he ever thinks about finishing the races he paces he said, "My job is to eliminate as many variables as I can for the other athletes ... If they all have to wonder whether or not I was going to step off the track or not, I don’t think I’d get many more jobs."
- Recommended Read: Toni Reavis Talks To Alberto Salazar About Galen Rupp's Training/Future A lot of good quotes from Salazar and Rupp including, Salazar: "2008 was the last time Galen was injured. He strained a groin after doing a tempo run on grass. That was the last time in four years when he missed any training. In that time he hasn’t missed five days of training or some alternative like the Alter G or treadmill work. Uninterrupted training is huge!”
- USATF Profile On Ajee Wilson Who Says, "I definitely think of myself as a senior athlete because those are the people that I’m racing." She talks about making the decision to go pro and how at first she was unsure of herself, but now she knows it was the right choice.
- 5 Questions With Jackie Areson Talking about not making the 5000 final at the Olympic Trials: "That was a huge blow. It was probably the worst day of my life..."
- Spikes-Mag Q&A With Morgan Uceny From The UK If she could pick another even it would be LJ as she jumped in high school, and still has the school record [about 17 ft 1 in / 5.21m].
Random International Stuff
- Kenyan Government To Train More Anti-Doping Experts First thing they should teach them is to not give the athletes a few weeks heads up when they're coming to test.
- Former Irish Olympic Marathoner Dick Hooper And Others Hits Out At Athletics Ireland For Setting New Even Tougher Marathon Standards For World Champs The IAAF has set a flat 2:17 standard k, but AAI have made that their 'B' standard and set 2:13 as the 'A'. One athlete criticized it saying, "Considering only one Irishman (Mark Carroll) has broken 2:13 in the last 20 years I don't understand it. Athletics Ireland has got to be realistic."
- In Wake Of Charity Runner's Death, Anti-Doping Experts Warn That Dangerous Steroids/Stimulants Are Fining Their Way Into Everyday "Sports Supplements"
- For UK Visitors: AW Giving Away 5 Pairs Of Tickets To Next Weekend's British Indoor Champs
- International Marketing Group Chime Communications Completes Multi-Million Pound Acquisition Of Seb Coe's Management Consultancy Firm
Other US News
- Alberto Salazar Says Galen Rupp Is Still Hungry And Isn't Satisfied Yet "Galen always has been disciplined, but right now he is leading a very Spartan life. Well, he's living in a nice house. But all he does is run, rest and spend time with his wife. He's either training or recovering 24 hours a day."
- RR: It Was 50 Years Ago This Sunday That Bill Bowerman Started The American Jogging Craze, Which He Brought Back From NZ UI runner Dyrol Burleson: "It was kind of fascinating. Until that day you didn't see a bunch of older people - housewives, professors - jogging around a track. Suddenly, things changed.”
- Article On Bobsled Career Of Lolo Jones, Comparing Her To NFL Player Turned Bobsledder Herschel Walker
- RunBlogRun Q&A With USATF CEO Max Siegel Siegel: "We are now pushing on the partnership and marketing sides of our business, on everything from sponsorship to membership, and have some exciting announcements coming in the next few months."
- Interview With US's Carlin Isles, The Fastest Rugby Player In The World He has a 100m PR of 10.13.
- Alysia Montaño Joins The ElliptiGO Project
- Slovenian Zan Rudolf Ties World Lead In The 800 With 1:46.96 At Linz Indoor Meet Natasha Hastings won the 200m in 23.55.
- Sergey Mudrov Gets Surprise Win At Moscow Cup HJ Meet As Olympic Champ Ivan Ukhov Finishes 4th
Jamaica's Former 400H Olympic Champ Melaine Walker Still Distraught Over Her London Letdown And Apologizes To The Public For Her Poor Performance In this and another article she hints at some kind of personal issue or problem with JAAA that distracted her mentally.
Kenyan News: Doping And Vivian Cheruiyot Sitting Out World XC
- Unnamed Kenyan Marathoner From October's Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon Last October Failed Drug Test AK won’t reveal the name for "legal reasons."
- 32 Kenyans Receive Out-Of-Competition Blood Tests In Kenya However, the tests are still not like the real out of competition tests other nations face as they were given advanced notice and told where and when to show up. AK head Isaiah Kiplagat even said, "There was no impromptu testing. All the 32 athletes had been notified ..."
*David Rudisha And Vivian Cheruiyot Among 32 Tested
- Defending Champion Vivian Cheruiyot Won't Defend Her World XC Champs Title In Poland Her coach says she wants to focus on Worlds. He also said that after this year she'll move up to the half marathon.
Other Drug Related News
- For Those Who Think PED Use Should Be Legal: Off-The-Counter Energy Stimulant Linked To Death Of London Marathon Charity Runner Who Died Of A Heart Attack She unknowingly used a DMAA-containing stimulant (Jack3d), which was legal at the time but has since been banned.
- Colombian 400 Runner Diego Palomeque Gets 2-Year Ban For Positive Test During London Olympics
Saturday's US Action *Full BU Results
LRC Galen Rupp Runs 3:50.92 Mile To Become Fifth-Fastest Indoor
Miler Who said Galen Rupp has no speed? The endurance king has become the speed king the last two years and Rupp showed it on Saturday by running 3:50.92 in Boston to become the 2nd-fastest American indoor miler ever behind Bernard Lagat. *Videos
On The Boards: *Rupp runs 3:50!!
*any updates on the BU elite mile?
*Rupp is the 5th fastest indoor miler in history
updated Mary Cain Smashes High School Mile Record By Running 4:32.78 Cain breaking the record may have been expected considering she ran 4:11 last year outdoors for 1,500 (roughly 4:31 for a mile), but Debbie Heald's old record (4:38.5) was the longest record on the books for high school women (from 1971) and Cain absolutely crushed it - and we use that term knowing it is way over-used in track but well-deserved here. In the men's mile, Robby Andrews faded to 4:11.
*What's Better Than Having An Olympian For A Coach? Having Two: With Salazar Living On The Other Side Of The Country, NZ 2004 Olympian John Henwood Has Been Administering Her Workouts In NY
*Video Interview With Mary Cain
OTB: Mary Cain 4:32.78
*Other HS: MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Edward Cheserek Wins NB Invite Mile In 4:10.92
*Q&A With Edward Cheserek Asking A Lot About His Move To The US From Kenya
*Sarah Baxter Named Gatorade Runner Of The Year For XC, Presented To Her By Allyson Felix
Oregonian's Ken Goe Against High Price Pay-Per-View Track Broadcasts
London Does It Again
LRC 2013 Virgin London Marathon Field Released - Is This The Greatest Men's Marathon Field In History? All we can say is - Wow! The course record holders of all
majors, the Olympic
champ, the WR holder - you name it, they got it. And one the women's side? How about the debut of Tirunesh Dibaba plus 4 of the 5 non-pregnant sub-2:20 runners from last year? So sick.
*Reuters: Dibaba To Race In London Marathon *Discuss
LRC Mary Keitany Is Pregnant With Second Child, Will Miss 2013 London Marathon And Season
Oregon Indoor Mile Record Holder Mac Fleet Is Pumped To Be back On Track After 2 Years Of Injuries Things were so bad last year, he started drinking heavily and tried to tear his plantar on purpose.
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18 minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Want To Watch A Live Stream Of The New Balance Games Or The Armory Collegiate Invitational? It Will Cost You $20 And just think many of you complained that the entire Diamond League Series on UniversalSports.com was too much at $25 with individual meets just $1.99. In our book this doesn't seem to be about track fans, but about getting parents to pay.
Dying Too Young
LRC 4-Time World Marathon Majors Runner-Up Abderrahim Goumri Has Died At Age 36 The former MAR national record holder at 2:05:30, who once ran 12:50 for 5k and was twice
the runner-up in New York, has been killed in a car accident. Goumri was busted for drugs due to the biological passport last summer.
Former 10k World Record Holder Samson Kimobwa, Who Ran 27:30.47 On June 30, 1977 In Helsinki, Has Died Suddenly At Age 58 Interesting fact - he coached Boaz Cheboiywo in Kenya and went to Washington State. *Wikipedia Page
*IAAF Tribute To Samson Kimobwa And Abderahim Goumri
Houston Marathon/Half Was Sunday
LRC Ethiopians Feyisa Lilesa And Mamitu Daska Win 2013 Aramco Houston Half Marathon The performance of the day belonged to Daska, who was dominant on US soil just as she was in all of 2012. Shadrack Biwott (62:23) and Lisa Uhl (73:28) were the top Americans as Luke Puskedra and Aaron
Braun also broke 63.
LRC Bazuk Worku (2:10:17) And Merima Mohammed (2:23:27) Win 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon Titles The former WJr. record holder picked up marathon win #1 as Andrew Carlson (2:17:16) and Tera Moody (2:39:10) took top American honors.
RRW: Ethiopians Sweep Titles At Cold, Wet 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Half Marathon Includes quotes from Biwott, Carlson, Uhl.
The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has
been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Definitely Not Politcally Correct: Chicago Sun-Times Columnist: SFH isn't alone - lots of female distance runners are total nut jobs SFH had "a glint of ferocity in her eyes, of suppressed danger. I saw the look in many of the Wisconsin middle-distance and long-distance female runners. In my book, I made special note of them, of their lapses into near insanity, of their successes and crashes and eating disorders and dependence on their controlling German head coach, Peter Tegen."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
New Balance Indoor Grand Prix Is Saturday *NBIGP Schedule/Start Lists/TV Info (ESPN3 Live 6-8pm ET Sat., ESPN2 2-4 Sun.)
- Press Conference Recap: Can Galen Rupp Get The American 3,000m Record In Boston? Centro Unfazed By Having Slower Mile PR Lagat's American record of 7:32.43 is the target.
- Press Conference Highlights (Video)
- LRC Boston Preview: Rupp Vs. Gebremeskel And Gebrhiwet, Dibaba And Cain In The Same Race, Centro,
Merritt &Suhr: A Fan's Guide To The 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix Has it been five months since you last watched a track meet on TV? Well, it's time to re-acquaint yourself with an old friend, as this meet should entertain for sure. The men's 3,000 could be epic and the women's 2-mile features US HS phenom Mary Cain in the same race as Tirunesh Dibaba, who might be saying goodbye to the track before moving up the marathon.
- MileSplit Lists Some Of The Top Prep Matchups
- Q&A With Galen Rupp, Who Is Pumped For This Weekend's 3,000 In Boston, As Is Al Sal
- Aries Merritt Pulls Out Of NB Grand Prix With Leg Cramp
More Weekend Action: 4 Olympic Marathon Medallists Are Competing (Updated)
- Good Read: Nick Willis Has Going Sub-4 On A Grass Track At Christchurch Meet On His "Bucket-List" "It's always been a bit of a goal of mine, a bucket list item for my running career to see if I could get under that magical barrier those guys used to face back in the 50s and 60s when they didn't have all-weather surfaces to run on ... it would be the equivalent of running maybe a 3min 54sec mile [on a synthetic track]."
- NZ's Anita Punt, Known As The "Fastest Woman In The World Of Field Hockey" Racing 100 & 300 Against Top NZ Sprinters At Saturday's Christchurch Meet Willis and Stony Brook alum Lucy Van Dalen will also compete on the grass track.
- Little Known Fact: Stony Brook Alum Lucy van Dalen Was Roommates With Valerie Adams At The Olympics And Involved In The NZ Entry Mix-Up She wasn't entered in the 1500 either, but didn't make a big deal about it like Adams did. van Dalen: "It was explained to me what the situation was and how it would be fixed within a couple of hours. It was unusual . . . but I got a call a few hours later to say all was in order and I didn't give it any further thought."
- Sunday: Russian Winter Meet In Moscow: 800 Bronze Medalist Timothy Kitum And Mohamed Aman Will Chase The 600 WR Of 1:15.12 The two teenagers will also be eligible to go for Casimir Loxsom's junior WR of 1:16.92. Other top action includes a deep 1500 with Silas Kiplagat, Daniel Komen and Mekonen Gebremedhin and the women's 1000 with Russia's 800 bronze medalist Yekaterina Poistogova vs Ukraine's 1500 World leader Anzhela Shevchenko.
- Ethiopia's World Junior 5000 Champ Muktar Edris Looking To Win His Third Straight Italian XC Meet Tomorrow At The Cinque Mulini 5 Mile He'll face Kenya's Albert Rop, last year's runner-up Bernard Kipkemoi Rotich and Uganda's 2011 World XC junior men’s silver medallist Thomas Ayeko. Ethiopia's Afera Godfay leads the women's race.
- Tiki Gelana/Abel Kirui: Japan Running News Weekend Preview: Olympic Champ Tiki Gelana And Silver Medalist Abel Kirui Highlight Fields For Kagawa Marugama International Half Kim Smith is the top challenger in the women's field and the men's also includes Australia's Collis Birmingham and Japanese Olympian Arata Fujiwara. Elsewhere, 2007 World Championships 10000 bronze medalist Martin Mathathi is among those competing at the Meigi Ekiden.*IAAF
- Stephen Kiprotich: Olympic Marathon Champ Stephen Kiprotich Racing Granollers Half Marathon In Spain On Sunday
*Video Interview With Kiprotich
- Wilson Kipsang: Olympic Bronze Medalist Wilson Kipsang Leads Field For Sunday's Nike International Discovery Half Marathon In Eldoret He will have competition in 2009 Rotterdam winner James Kwambai (2:04:27)
- Stacked 3,000 In Karlsruhe On Sat.: Bernard Lagat Faces World Indoor Silver Augustine Choge And Ethiopia's Yenew Alamirew (3rd Fastest 3ker In History) Meseret Defar leads the women's 3k as World Indoor champ Genzebe Dibaba leads the 1,500m. A deep 800 field includes Boaz Lalang, Poland's Adam Kszczot, Olympic steeplechase silver medallist Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad and World youth 1,500m champ Teshome Diressa. Olympic champ Renaud Lavillenie is the favorite in the PV.
- Yuki Kawauchi Will Take On Olympic Marathon 6th Placer Kentaro Nakamoto At The Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon On Sunday
- EA Preview Of European Champion Clubs Cup Cross Country in Castellón on Sunday www.european-athletics.org
- AW Preview Of Today's British Universities & Colleges Sport XC Champs
- Aussie Olympian Ryan Gregson Coming Off Some Good Training To Race The 800 This Saturday At The Hunter Track Classic Also in the meet is Olympic LJ silver medalist Mitchell Watt.
- Next Weekend: Preview/Prediction Of Men's Kenya National Cross-Country Championship Race In Two Weeks Has a short blurb on each of the expected top competitors, including Geoffrey Mutai.
- Feb. 9th: MVP TC Athletes Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce, Asafa Powell and Nesta Carter Will Race At Milo Western Relays In Jamaica
- Feb. 9th: UK Pole Vault NR Holder Holly Bleasdale Going For Her Third Straight National Title At UK Champs
- Feb. 16th: Galen Rupp May Try And Take Back Indoor 5000 Record From Bernard Lagat In Birmingham Aviva Grand Prix
- Feb 21: 1,500m Diamond League Winner Abeba Aregawi To Run Her First Race As A Swedish Citizen At XL Galan In Stockholm She set the Ethiopian record during the summer at 3:56.54.
Watch Your Health
- Study Finds That While Marathon Runners Run A Lot, They Also Sit A Lot And That Can Be Unhealthy Sitting too much is an independent risk factor for diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease.
- DMAA Stimulant Manufacturer Of Product Jack3d That Allegedly Killed London Charity Marathoner Defend Safety Of Their Product
*Jack3d Product Still Being Sold Legally Online
- Asafa Powell Gives Tips For A Flat "Belly"
US News: 9-Year-Old Running Marathon In Antarctica For Charity
- 9-Year-Old Nikolas Toocheck Running A Marathon In Antarctica To Raise Money For Charity That Provides Winter Coats To Children In Need The Antarctica marathon is only one of 7 marathons he's running, one on each continent. Learn more about Nikolas or make a donation at his website here.
- Duane Solomon Named USATF Athlete Of The Week After Getting 600m AR "The whole idea was to go after the American record at Millrose. Now it might be the world record."
- Spikes-Mag Q&A With Mary Cain's "Coach-In-Residence" John Henwood Henwood: "The first time I saw her train I said to Alberto, 'this girl has a chance to make the Olympic team.'"
- Updated DI Rankings: Arkansas, Clemson Still No.1 With Clemson's Lead Shrinking
Good Doping News: IAAF Does Blood Tests In The Rift Valley
- In Response To German Report's Allegations, For First Time Ever, IAAF Conducts Out Of Season Blood Tests On Kenyans Training In The Rift Valley An IAAF insider said the operation was carried out with the full support of Athletics Kenya, but "In the beginning it was hard to convince them, but we managed it." Should the IAAF really have to convince Kenya it's okay to test their athletes?
2013 Glasgow *Free Mid-D/Distance Race Videos & Results *Full Glasgow Results
LRC Duane Solomon Is The Real Deal - He Breaks US 600 Meter Record With 1:15.70 Win In Scotland
Duane Solomon got rid off Chip Jenkins' record just days before it celebrated its 26th birthday and proved 2012 was far from a fluke. In other action, Bernard Lagat got a win in the 3,000 as Centro was smoked in the 1,500. Plus Geena Gall, Sara Vaughn and more.
*MB: Hrs Later Penn State Sr. Cas Loxsom Just Misses Solomon's New Record When He Runs 1:15.79 He did beat Jenkins' old record of 1:15.80.
Thank God They & Not Us Asked It - Carmelita "The Jet" Jeter Can't Fly Away From The Doping Question Jeter refused to answer the following question: Did Lance Armstrong's confession make "it harder to convince people that athletes in other sports were clean?" Her answer: "Well, I'm going to stay away from anything with that question, thank you."
Ajee Wilson Goes Pro With adidas
- Ajee Wilson Goes Pro With adidas She previously had said she was only deferring college for a year, but now she will defer indefinitely.
- Ajee Wilson Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Setting The World Junior 600m Record At 1:27.30
- Starting In The Fall, adidas Will Pay Ajee Wilson's Tuition At Temple University As Part Of Her Deal Going Pro This is the same route Allyson Felix took out of high school when she signed with adidas and had her full tuition paid to Southern California.
- 18-Year-Old Ajee Wilson Sets WORLD Jr. Record At 600 (1:27.30) And Will Attack AR At Millrose
LRC Lukas Verzbicas' Comeback Continues With 21:02 4-Mile Win We're calling this kid "The Real Lance" as he is a comeback-from-near-death athlete you can believe in.
Who Says It's Just January? *Full UW Results
LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:02.10 For 3,000 - Arguably The Greatest Distance Performance In High School History
MB: *Cain 9:02!!!
*Mary Cain 9:02!!!
*How many boys state 3200/2 mile can mary cain win?
*NOW what do you think about a Baxter-Cain face-off at 3200 / 2-mile? Hmmmm?
Olympic 100m Bottle Thrower Convicted
Guilty: Men's 100m Bottle Thrower Is Convicted Sounds like due to his mental illness, he'll get a slap on the wrist, but the judge's reasoning was sound: "The video, in my view, quite clearly shows Mr Gill-Webb checking to see if he is under observation before taking the risk of throwing the bottle. I am sure that he was at that point weighing up the chances of being caught before throwing
in an effort to disrupt the start of the race and put off Usain Bolt. I am sure, therefore, that he was at that point acting rationally and wrongly."
*MB: OJ Simpson may have gotten off but the Olympic bottle thrower is convicted!!
Video: Kenyan Runner Edwin Kipsang Rotich Was Attacked During Brazil's New Year's Eve Kings Run 10k, But Still Went On To Win Police said the attacker has a history of mental problems and doing stunts like this. Rotich was unfazed at the finish as he didn't even mention the attack in his post-race interview. *Longer Video
Recommended Watch: Very Well Done Documentary On Ryan Vail On The Life Of A Professional Runner "This is my job. It's not about, 'I don't feel like running today' because everyone doesn't feel like going to work today. So I just say, 'This is better than a 9 to 5. Get out there and do your work today. This is going to work. Just get out there and do it.'"
Random US News: Lauren Fleshman Responds To You
- Lauren Fleshman Responds To LRC MB Posters: "Why I'm No Longer With Nike" Fleshman responds directly to LRC message board posters who came up with "several interesting speculations" as to why and how she left Nike.
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No Wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
Run, Recover, Run More
LRC Runners Recover Better And Hopefully Stay Injury Free With These Two Products From The 2012 Running Event Wejo talks about some of the injury prevention products he saw at the The Running Event, which include better methods for massage, icing, and compression.
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
The Week That Was In Running - January 21-27, 2013
LRC Rupp & Solomon Improve A Lot, Those That Do And Those That Don't Get LRC, 2:04 Marathons Aren't Special, Putting Mary Cain's Mile Record In Perspective This week we start by telling you there are two types of runners - "those that get LetsRun.com" and "those that don't." We tell you why we think analyzing the improvements of Galen Rupp & Duane Solomon is the very best part of our website - even though we know many (including "A Duck") totally disagree. We then put the record runs from Dubai, Solomon and Mary Cain in perspective before quoting a running executive who says a 2:04 marathon isn't "special" anymore.
A Look At On Running: Run On Clouds
LRC A Look At On Running And The "Cloud" Technology: Shoe Company Started By Former World Class Triathlete Olivier Bernhard was a world class triathlete who was injured with Achilles problems. So what did he do? He started tinkering with his shoes. What did he come up with? A better shoe technology, he thinks. Learn more about Olivier and the "Cloud" technology as LRC starts taking a look at some of the newer shoe companies.