The Week That Was In Running
The Week That Was In Running: January 21 – 27, 2013 This week we start by telling you there are two types of runners - "those that get LetsRun.com" and "those that don't". We tell you why we think analyzing the improvements of Galen Rupp & Duane Solomon is the very best part of our website - even though we know many (including "A Duck") totally disagree. We then put the record runs from Dubai, Solomon and Mary Cain in perspective before quoting a running executive who says a 2:04 marathon isn't "special" any more.
Kenyan News: Doping And Vivian Cheruiyot Sitting Out World XC
- Unnamed Kenyan Marathoner From October's Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon Last October Failed Drug Test AK won’t reveal the name for "legal reasons".
- 32 Kenyans Receive Out Of Competition Blood Tests In Kenya However, the tests are still not like the real out of competition tests other nations face as they were given advanced notice and told where and when to show up. AK head Isaiah Kiplagat even said, "There was no impromptu testing. All the 32 athletes had been notified..."
*David Rudisha And Vivian Cheruiyot Among 32 Tested
- Defending Champion Vivian Cheruiyot Won't Defend Her World XC Champs Title In Poland Her coach says she wants to focus on Worlds. He also said that after this year she'll move up to the half-marathon.
Other Drug Related News
- For Those Who Think PED Use Should Be Legal: Off The Counter Energy Stimulant Linked To Death Of London Marathon Charity Runner Who Died Of A Heart Attack She unknowingly used a DMAA-containing stimulant Jack3d which was legal at the time, but has since been banned.
- Colombian 400 Runner Diego Palomeque Gets 2-Year Ban For Positive Test During London Olympics
- Qatar's Bronze Medallist Mutaz Essa Barshim And Italy's Alessia Trost Win Moravia High Jump Meet In The Czech Republic Trost won with a big PR of 2.0m. On the men's side Russian Olympic champ Ivan Ukhov had a disappointing day finishing well back only getting over 2.15m. He actually tied the Paralympic champion Maciej Liepato.
- Australia: 400m Runner John Steffensen Gets 6th Month Ban From Athletics Australia For Making Untrue Claims Of Racism Back In The Summer His suspension will go long enough that he'll miss his chance to qualify for Moscow 2013.
- Part 3 RunnersTribe Interview With David McNeil On His Olympic Permance And What He Took Out Of It "I didn't go there just for the experience. I wanted to make the final."
- Jamaica: Jamaica's Former 400H Olympic Champ Melaine Walker Talks About Her Disappointing Olympics And Says, "Maybe I'm not feeling the fire anymore."
- Japan: Some Japanese Marathons Are Becoming More And More Like US Mass Participation Races
- UK: Jessica Ennis' Coach Toni Minichiellov Given A "Take It Or Leave It" Ultimatum By UKA
- UK 2012 400m Silver Medallist Christine Ohuruogu Says She Wants To Revise Her "Tactics" As She Moves Forward With Her Career “I know I can run from the front as opposed to a chasing position."
- Podcast Interview With British Hurdler Andy Turner
- Brit 800 Olympian Lynsey Sharp Makes Move To New UKA Training Base In Loughborough
Only In Japan - The Good & Bad
- The Good: 35,000 Fans Turn Out For Nittai University's Hakone Ekiden Victory Parade Even at Oregon, only a handful of fans show up to celebrate the Duck XC titles.
- The Bad: Despite
Ongoing Scandal Involving Allegations Of The Repeated Use Of Corporal Punishment By Its Head Coach, Toyokawa Kogyo HS Will Run This Weekend's Ekiden After signing a pledge apologizing for overstepping his bounds of authority, the coach allegedly "beat male team members in the head with a deck brush seriously enough for them to require stitches."
*Apparently This Is A Common Problem In Japan: The Japanese Olympic Judokas Team Were Beaten With Sticks By Head Coach
Interesting Sprint News
- More Interesting News: Kim Collins Still Irate He Got Kicked Out Of Olympics For Being With His Wife "I am the first man to get in trouble for allegedly having sex with his wife."
- Asafa Powell Getting Ready For Corporate Road Race
- Eritrean Steeplechaser Weynay Ghebresilasie Defected To UK After Olympics The teenager
who fought in the Eritrean/Ethiopian wawas in the army and said he might be executed if he returned.
- Several Other Countries, Including Ethiopia & Uganda, And Jake Robertson (NZL) Will Compete At Kenyan XC Trials The Ugandans will pick their World XC team in Kenya as well.
- An African Vote Problem Yet Again? Many In Kenya Are Wondering, "What's Cooking?" As AK Defers Election Yet Again
- Surprising: Athletics Kenya Disbands XC Training Camp As Athletes Wanted To Train On Their Own We thought this would never happen, as the camps are used by AK to justify its existence.
- S African XC Trials Winners Elroy Gelant And Lebo Phalula Are Part Of 27-Member Team At CAA Southern Region Cross-Country Championships
More Sprint News
- John Steffensen Is Now A Coach
- Aussie Sprinter Jordan Caldow, Who Just Won 100m Beach Title At The World Surf Lifesaving Championships, Finishes 2-Week Training Stint In Jamaica
US News: Ritz Excited For US Cross
- Dathan Ritzenhein Blogs About Running His First Race Since The Chicago Marathon At US XC Champs "Cross country is racing in its purest form and it always brings me back to the pure love of competition. I don't look at the clock and check my splits or worry about the weather. You get out there and just go, trying to push it to the max."
- World Ranking System Shows US Still Number One Country In The World For Sports Since 2006 With China And Russia Still Second And Third
- Craig Miller And CIM Champ Daniel Tapia Join American Distance Project
- Feb. 6th: Germany's Thomas Dold Trying To Win His 8th Consecutive Empire State Building Run-Up; Aussie Suzy Walsham Will Go For Her 4th Win Race includes a 1576-step/86-floor climb which equals about 320m of vertical gain.
- RunBlogRun Makes Arguments For A Track & Field TV Show Sounds great, but now we have to figure out a way to get people to want to watch it.
A League Of Their Own
- Paralympians Get Their Own Version Of Diamond League Series The Grand Prix series will start in March with meets in Dubai, Beijing, Sao Paulo, Grosseto in Italy, Arizona and Berlin with a possible "finale" in Birmingham.
- UK Paralympic Champ David Weir Has Doubts Over New GP Series And Fears No One Will Come He would rather see paralympic events integrated with able-bodied events, but that would make meets too long for sponsors.
- Summer BT Paralympic World Cup In Danger Of Being Scrapped Partially Due To The Refusal Of Track To Commit It is a multi-sport competition, but the new Paralympic Grand Prix track series may conflict.
Saturday's US Action *Full BU Results
LRC Galen Rupp Runs 3:50.92 Mile To Become Fifth-Fastest Indoor
Miler Who said Galen Rupp has no speed? The endurance king has become the speed king the last two years and Rupp showed it on Saturday by running 3:50.92 in Boston to become the 2nd-fastest American indoor miler ever behind Bernard Lagat. *Videos
On The Boards: *Rupp runs 3:50!!
*any updates on the BU elite mile?
*Rupp is the 5th fastest indoor miler in history
updated Mary Cain Smashes High School Mile Record By Running 4:32.78 Cain breaking the record may have been expected considering she ran 4:11 last year outdoors for 1,500 (roughly 4:31 for a mile), but Debbie Heald's old record (4:38.5) was the longest record on the books for high school women (from 1971) and Cain absolutely crushed it - and we use that term knowing it is way over-used in track but well-deserved here. In the men's mile, Robby Andrews faded to 4:11.
*What's Better Than Having An Olympian For A Coach? Having Two: With Salazar Living On The Other Side Of The Country, NZ 2004 Olympian John Henwood Has Been Administering Her Workouts In NY
*Video Interview With Mary Cain
OTB: Mary Cain 4:32.78
*Other HS: MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Edward Cheserek Wins NB Invite Mile In 4:10.92
*Q&A With Edward Cheserek Asking A Lot About His Move To The US From Kenya
*Sarah Baxter Named Gatorade Runner Of The Year For XC, Presented To Her By Allyson Felix
Oregonian's Ken Goe Against High Price Pay Per View Track Broadcasts
Osaka Marathon, Kenyan Prison XC, NACAC XC *Full NACAC Results *Prison XC
- Carlsbad: In His Half-Marathon Debut, Stephen Sambu Wins Carlsbad In 1:03:02 Over Jordan Chipangama (1:04:10) And Tesfaye Alemyehu (1:04:14) Belianesh Zemedkun Gebre won the women's half in 1:12:10 as Mario Macias and Lauren Kleppin were the full marathon winners in 2:19:43 and 2:42:17. *Full
- NACAC XC Champs: Craig Forys Outkicks Cam Levins To Win The NACAC XC Champs, Leading The US Men To The Team Victory Matthew Forys was 4th and Simon Bairu 9th for Canada. The US women finished 2nd to Canada in the team scoring; Mary Kate Champagne was the top US runner in 4th.
*Jamaican Article/Recap With Some Quotes
*Coach Blames "Lack Of Preparation" And Training On The Home Course For Disappointing Jamaican Performances At NACAC
- Kenyan Prison XC Champs: Timothy Kiptoo Defends His Title At Kenyan Prisons XC Champs, Beating Field That Included Africa XC Champ John Mwangangi (8th) & Silas Kiplagat (11th) Eunice Kioko (mother of 7 children!) won the women's race running barefoot. *Deeper
- Osaka Women's Marathon: Ukraine's London Olympics 5th-Placer Tetyana Gamera-Shmyrko Wins Osaka In 2:23:58 Kayoko Fukushi was the top Japanese in 2nd place with 2:24:21, but missed out on the 2:24 standard to get an automatic team spot for the Moscow 2013. *IAAF
- Jamaica: Olympic 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce And Nesta Carter Get 100m Wins At Queen's / Grace Jackson Meet In Jamaica Shelly-Ann ran 11.47 and Carter 10.59.
- Other: Lolo Jones Wins Gold At Bobsled World Champs
- Yuki Kawauchi Breaks Stage Record At Okumusashi Ekiden Running 13:00 For 4.679k It was his fourth race and third win this year. He races the Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon this Sunday.
London Does It Again
LRC 2013 Virgin London Marathon Field Released - Is This The Greatest Men's Marathon Field In History? All we can say is - Wow! The course record holders of all
majors, the Olympic
champ, the WR holder - you name it, they got it. And one the women's side? How about the debut of Tirunesh Dibaba plus 4 of the 5 non-pregnant sub-2:20 runners from last year? So sick.
*Reuters: Dibaba To Race In London Marathon *Discuss
LRC Mary Keitany Is Pregnant With Second Child, Will Miss 2013 London Marathon And Season
Oregon Indoor Mile Record Holder Mac Fleet Is Pumped To Be back On Track After 2 Years Of Injuries Things were so bad last year, he started drinking heavily and tried to tear his plantar on purpose.
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18 minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Big Race News: Ritz Running US XC, Mo Farah Running New Orleans Half, Olympic Stadium Will Host T&F This Summer
- Dathan Ritzenhein Added To Field For US XC Championships On Feb. 2nd The field also includes Matt Tegenkamp, Chris Derrick and Bobby Mack. Women's field includes Shalane Flanagan, Deena Kastor and Kim Conley.
- Mo Farah To Run Rock 'N' Roll New Orleans Half Marathon On February 24 In His First US Race Since The London Games
- London Diamond League Meet Moving From Crystal Palace To The Olympic Stadium And Will Take Place On The Anniversary Of The 2012 Opening Ceremony (6/27) Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis say they hope to compete, but Bolt still won't be there due to UK tax laws.
- Jamaica Hoping To Host A Diamond League Meet In 2014
- Big Sur Marathon Admits It Spread False Drug Testing Rumor When It Had No Intention Of Actually Testing
Want To Watch A Live Stream Of The New Balance Games Or The Armory Collegiate Invitational? It Will Cost You $20 And just think many of you complained that the entire Diamond League Series on UniversalSports.com was too much at $25 with individual meets just $1.99. In our book this doesn't seem to be about track fans, but about getting parents to pay.
Looking Ahead To Next Month's Tokyo Marathon And Beyond
- Feb. 2nd: Meseret Defar And Bernard Lagat Highlight Fields For Karlsruhe 3,000 Lagat will face a deep field in World Indoor medalists Augustine Choge and Edwin Soi as well as 3rd fastest 3ker all-time Yenew Alamirew (7:27.80).
- Eilte Field Released For 2013 Tokyo Marathon, The Newest Addition To The Marathon Majors The field is led by 4 sub-2:05 runners in Dennis Kipruto Kimetto (2:04:16), James Kipsang Kwambai (2:04:27), Dino Sefir (2:04:50), and Jonathan Kiplimo Maiyo (2:04:56). The top Japanese male is Olympian Arata Fujiwara. The women are led by Irina Mikitenko (2:19:19 PB), Bezunesh Bekele (2:20:30) and Aberu Kebede (2:20:30). *IAAF
Millrose Mile Fields Announced
- Millrose Announces Field For 2013 Wanamaker Mile: Matt Centrowitz Will Defend His Title Against Lopez Lomong And Robby Andrews Also in the field are Miles Batty, Donn Cabral, Garrett Heath, Jordan McNamara, Ryan Hill, Lawi Lalang, Chris O'Hare, Mitch Goose and Irish Olympian Ciarán O'Lionaird. The women's race features Abbey D'Agostino, Jordan Hasay, Emma Coburn, Ashley Higginson, Delilah DiCrescenzo, Emily Infeld, Sheila Reid and high schooler Mary Cain.
- Matt Centrowitz Thinks He's In Shape To Go For Bernard Lagat's Wanamaker Mile Record And Maybe Even American Record Lagat's Wanamaker Mile record is 3:52.87 and his AR is 3:49.89. However, it needs to be noted that Lagat set his Wanamaker record at Madison Square Garden, while Centrowitz will be at the much faster track at the Armory.
- Centrowitz Says His Recent Workouts Have Been "Faster Than Anything I Could Imagine" Coming Out Of College
- Good RW Q&A With Abbey D'Agostino On Being Added To Millrose Mile Field Come NCAAs, she'll probably be shooting for the 3k.
Dying Too Young
LRC 4-Time World Marathon Majors Runner-Up Abderrahim Goumri Has Died At Age 36 The former MAR national record holder at 2:05:30, who once ran 12:50 for 5k and was twice
the runner-up in New York, has been killed in a car accident. Goumri was busted for drugs due to the biological passport last summer.
Former 10k World Record Holder Samson Kimobwa, Who Ran 27:30.47 On June 30, 1977 In Helsinki, Has Died Suddenly At Age 58 Interesting fact - he coached Boaz Cheboiywo in Kenya and went to Washington State. *Wikipedia Page
*IAAF Tribute To Samson Kimobwa And Abderahim Goumri
Houston Marathon/Half Was Sunday
LRC Ethiopians Feyisa Lilesa And Mamitu Daska Win 2013 Aramco Houston Half Marathon The performance of the day belonged to Daska, who was dominant on US soil just as she was in all of 2012. Shadrack Biwott (62:23) and Lisa Uhl (73:28) were the top Americans as Luke Puskedra and Aaron
Braun also broke 63.
LRC Bazuk Worku (2:10:17) And Merima Mohammed (2:23:27) Win 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon Titles The former WJr. record holder picked up marathon win #1 as Andrew Carlson (2:17:16) and Tera Moody (2:39:10) took top American honors.
RRW: Ethiopians Sweep Titles At Cold, Wet 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Half Marathon Includes quotes from Biwott, Carlson, Uhl.
The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has
been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Definitely Not Politcally Correct: Chicago Sun-Times Columnist: SFH isn't alone - lots of female distance runners are total nut jobs SFH had "a glint of ferocity in her eyes, of suppressed danger. I saw the look in many of the Wisconsin middle-distance and long-distance female runners. In my book, I made special note of them, of their lapses into near insanity, of their successes and crashes and eating disorders and dependence on their controlling German head coach, Peter Tegen."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
This Weekend - New Balance Indoor Grand Prix Is This Saturday *Schedule/Start Lists/TV Info (LRC Preview Coming By Noon Today) *US XC Meet Site
- LRC Preview Coming By 12:00PM...
- Q&A With Galen Rupp, Who Is Pumped For This Weekend's 3,000 In Boston, As Is Al Sal Surprisingly, Rupp flew back to Oregon after his 3:50 mile in Boston and is coming back again this weekend for the clash between the Olympic 10k and 5k silver medallists. If you don't have tickets to the sold-out event, the good news is you can watch it for free on ESPN2 on Sunday 2-4 pm or live here on ESPN3 from 6-8pm eastern Saturday.
- This Weekend
- Aries Merritt Pulls Out Of NB Grand Prix With Leg Cramp
- US XC: Dathan Ritzenhein And Shalane Flanagan Are The Favorites For Saturday's US XC Champs Fields also include Matt Tegenkamp, Robert Cheseret, Bobby Mack, Ben True, Luke Puskedra, Chris Derrick, Deena Kastor, Sara Hall, Magdalena Lewy Boulet, Kim Conley and Delilah DiCrescenzo.
- Millrose Announces Olympic 4x4 Gold Medalists Natasha Hastings, Mary Wineberg And Francena McCorory For Women's 400 Field
- Small Chance Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Could Be Racing At Camperdown Classic At Jamaican National Stadium On February 9th The race director "wouldn't say". Take that for it's worth.
- Half Marathon WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Will Try And Break His Own Record At The Hervis Prague Half In April He'll be up against 59:30 man Philemon Limo.
US News: 9-Year Old Running Marathon In Antarctica For Charity
- 9-Year Old Nikolas Toocheck Running A Marathon In Antarctica To Raise Money For Charity That Provides Winter Coats To Children In NeedThe Antarctica marathon is only one of 7 marathons he's running; one on each continent. Learn more about Nikolas or make a donation at his website here.
- Duane Solomon Named USATF Athlete Of The Week After Getting 600m AR “The whole idea was to go after the American record at Millrose. Now it might be the world record.”
- Spikes-Mag Q&A With Mary Cain't "Coach-In-Residence" John Henwood Henwood: “The first time I saw her train I said to Alberto, ‘this girl has a chance to make the Olympic team’”
- Updated DI Rankings: Arkansas, Clemson Still No.1 with Clemson’s Lead Shrinking
North American Distance News
- American Magdalena Lewy Boulet Hoping To Make World XC Team So She Can Compete In Front Of Family In Her Native Poland (LINK FIXED)
- A Good Cause: Inaugural Bring Back The Mile Tour, Consisting Of 13 Events Across The United States, Will Kick Off On Saturday
- Canada Running Series Set To Kick Off Fifteenth Year In 2013
- Say It Ain't So: France's 2nd Largest Track Mmeet - Villeneuve-d'Ascq Meet - Is Taking 2013 Off Due To Financial Concerns 10,000 spectators but only 3,500 paid to watch it.
- Toni Reavis Has Two London Marathon Entries - He'll Give Them To You If You Raise A Bunch For Charity
- Bay To Breakers Loses Title Sponsor As Zazzle Drops Out
- Flotrack Defends Its $150 Subscription Fee To Ken Goe Of Oregonian, Who Still Doesn't Like It
- Six Paralympic Grand Prix Events Will Take Place This Year, Including One In Arizona In May *Paralympic Schedule
More From The Weekend
- African 10,000 Champ Kenneth Kipkemoi Wins Eldoret Discovery XC Race Over 25k WR Holder Dennis Kimetto Asbel Kiprop was 5th as Rita Jeptoo won over Priscah Jeptoo in the women's race. *Results
- Craig Forys Says He Liked The Jamaican Course For NACAC
- Sheila Reid Won The Mile At Penn State National In 4:30.41
- ING Marathon Winner Lied About His Marathon PR To Get Into The Elite Starting Corral; It Was His Debut, But He Said His PR Was 2:23 He ended up winning in 2:26:14. We wonder if he had even tried to get in with an equivalent PR. Many race directors will let you in if you have a fast 10k or half marathon PR.
- OSU Had 4 Guys Go Sub-4 In The Same Race At The Razorback Invy They now have 5 sub-4 milers on the team.
- Abel Rop And Tecla Jepleting Win Lang'ata District XC Titles In Kenya
- Ethiopians Yimer Ayalew And Sofiya Shemsu Win Lotto Cross Cup Titles In Belgium Ayalew won over Kenya's David Bett.
- Lawi Lalang And Arkansas' Pentathlete Makeba Alcide Are USTFCCA Athletes Of The Week Lalang ran a world-leading 3k of 7:52, which was third on the all-time collegiate indoor list, and Alcide scored 4,464, which also put her third-best on the all-time collegiate list.
- Duke Runner Andrew Brodeur Wins Road 10k In Jamaica
- After 8:55 PR, Abbey D'Agostino Says She Felt Comfortable Leading UW Invy 3k
- Happy Post-Race Interview With Jordan Hasay After Her 8:57 3k PRShe says her training focus is on the 5k at Husky in two weeks.
Good Doping News: IAAF Does Blood Tests In The Rift Valley
- In Response To German Report's Allegations, For First Time Ever, IAAF Conducts Out Of Season Blood Tests On Kenyans Training In The Rift Valley An IAAF insider said the operation was carried out with the full support of Athletics Kenya, but "In the beginning it was hard to convince them, but we managed it." Should the IAAF really have to convince Kenya it's okay to test their athletes?
- South African Track Federation Troubled With High Number Of Doping Sanctions In 2012 They had 11, two under the age of 18.
- UCI Disbands Independent Doping Commission Set To Investigate Possible UCI Scandal After Not Receiving Approval From WADA Or USADA Wada President John Fahey: "After careful review ... Wada reached the conclusion that the UCI was not allowing the commission to conduct a proper and independent investigation."
- Lance Still Lying: 18-Minute Video Of Latest "60 Minutes" Interview With USADA Chief Travis Tygart, Where He Says Lance Armstrong Is Still Lying
2013 Glasgow *Free Mid-D/Distance Race Videos & Results *Full Glasgow Results
LRC Duane Solomon Is The Real Deal - He Breaks US 600 Meter Record With 1:15.70 Win In Scotland
Duane Solomon got rid off Chip Jenkins' record just days before it celebrated its 26th birthday and proved 2012 was far from a fluke. In other action, Bernard Lagat got a win in the 3,000 as Centro was smoked in the 1,500. Plus Geena Gall, Sara Vaughn and more.
*MB: Hrs Later Penn State Sr. Cas Loxsom Just Misses Solomon's New Record When He Runs 1:15.79 He did beat Jenkins' old record of 1:15.80.
- More Glasgow: 2011 World 400H Champ Dai Greene Breaks British 600m Record As He Finishes 2nd Behind Solomon
- Dwain Chambers Wins 60m As Olympic HJ Bronze Medallist Robbie Grabarz Loses HJ To Russian Aleksey Dmitrik Carmelita Jeter lost the 60m to German Verena Sailer as US's Natasha Hastings won the 400 over Brit Perri Shakes-Drayton and Holly Bleasdale won the PV.
- Former 100m World Champion Kim Collins Races And Finishes 2nd In Glasgow 60m In Wake Of His Brother's Death
- Police Report On Collins' Brother's Death, Which Says He Kidnapped His Ex-Wife And Sister And Stabbed A Police Officer Before He Was Shot To Death
- Colins Still Angry With St. Kitts & Nevis Officials For Not Letting Him Race In The Olympic Because He Left Olympic Village To Visit His Wife Collins: "I am the first man to get in trouble for allegedly having sex with his wife."
- Team Results: Russia Took The Overall Win, Tying The US With 58 Points But Winning On The Tie Breaker (Most Individual Victories) GB was 3rd (50 pts), Germany 4th and Commonwealth Select team 5th. *IAAF Recap
- EA Recap Of Glasgow Meet: Russian LJer/Model Darya Klishina Wins With Jump Of 6.44m
- Parlympians Happy That Glasgow Featured Some Paralympic Events
College News *All College Results
- Razorback Invy: *Full Results *Lawi Lalang Runs A World-Leading 7:42.79 To Win Razorback Invy 3,000 Patrick Casey won the mile in 3:56.28 over Tom Farrell as 6 go sub-4. LSU's Natoya Goule wins 800 in 2:03.49 over Charlene Lipsey (2:03.76) and Natalja Piliusina (2:04.35).
* Florida Men And Women 4 X 4s Set World Leads With 3:05.93 And 3:31.68 The Florida women also won the team competition over LSU by one point.
*Arkansas Men Get The Team Win Over #3-Ranked Florida
*Arizona's Edgar Rivera-Morales Wins HJ With A School Record And Mexican National Indoor Record Of 7-5 (2.26m)
*MB: 4 OSU guys Break 4 in the mile!
- Washington: *Full UW Results *Brie Felnagle Wins 3,000 In 8:54.74 As Abbey D'Agostino Is 3rd (8:55.41) And Jordan Hasay Is 4th (8:57.46) Hasay's mark was an Oregon school record; Alex Kosinski was a DNF. In other results, Erik van Ingen won the mile in 4:00.80 over Elijah Greer and Tyler Mulder, Leonard Korir won the 3,000 in 7:59.90 over Donn Cabral (7:59.96) and Hassan Mead (8:00.54), Lucas
won the 800 in 1:50.16 over a now Brooks-sponsored Mark Weczorek (1:50.21) as Cabral ran 1:51.04 in the 2nd heat, Laura Roesler won the 800 in 2:04.66 and OTC's Jemma Simpson the mile in 4:37.96.
*Oregon Women DMR Runs Fast 11:02 Another highlight for the UO team was sophomore Jeramy Elkaim taking running 13:51.20 to win the 5000 when his previous personal best was only 14:54.62.
*MB: Jordan Hasay 8:57.46 3K PR *2013 UW Invitational Is Being Streamed Live & For Free
- Indiana Relays: Andrew Poore Wins Mile In 3:58.85 As Two Others Go Sub-4 And 3 More 4-Flat NCAA Champ Andrew Bayer was back in 7th with 4:05.12.
- Boston: Terrier Live Results *MB: Emily Sisson Just Ran 15:44 - 2013 NCAA 5,000 Leading Times At BU
- PSU: Penn State Men's 4 X 200 Sets Collegiate Record
- Texas A&M Challenge: *Full Results *Kennedy Kithuka's 3:59.53 Breaks Texas Tech School Record As He Is The First-Ever Sub-4 Ebonie Floyd won the 400 in 51.82 as Jessica Beard won the 200 in 23.45. Tabarie Henry won the men's 400 in 46.30.
*MB: Texas DMR 9:31.82
- Michigan: *Full Results *Michigan Men And Women Wolverines Beat Michigan State Spartans In Revival Of Dual Meet Last Competed In 1976 Both meets were close as women's scores were 89-73 and men's 88-74.
*MB: A round of applause for Michigan and Michigan State: Trying to host an exciting T&F Meet!?!
Thank God They & Not Us Asked It - Carmelita "The Jet" Jeter Can't Fly Away From The Doping Question Jeter refused to answer the following question: Did Lance Armstrong's confession make "it harder to convince people that athletes in other sports were clean?" Her answer: "Well, I'm going to stay away from anything with that question, thank you."
Ajee Wilson Goes Pro With adidas
- Ajee Wilson Goes Pro With adidas She previously had said she was only deferring college for a year, but now she will defer indefinitely.
- Ajee Wilson Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Setting The World Junior 600m Record At 1:27.30
- Other Junoir News: Edward Cheserek Named Gatorade Runner Of The Year For XC Cheserek was surprised with the award at school by Dathan Ritzenhein.
LRC Lukas Verzbicas' Comeback Continues With 21:02 4-Mile Win We're calling this kid "The Real Lance" as he is a comeback-from-near-death athlete you can believe in.
Who Says It's Just January? *Full UW Results
LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:02.10 For 3,000 - Arguably The Greatest Distance Performance In High School History
MB: *Cain 9:02!!!
*Mary Cain 9:02!!!
*How many boys state 3200/2 mile can mary cain win?
*NOW what do you think about a Baxter-Cain face-off at 3200 / 2-mile? Hmmmm?
RIP John Thomas And Steve Lynn
Former HJ WR Holder And USATF Hall Of Famer John Thomas Passes Away At 71 Thomas won silver and bronze Olympic medals and when he was only 17, became the first person to clear 7 feet indoors.
*RR: Rip John Thomas: Toni Reavis Blogs On The "Passing Of A Hero"
*Video Of John Thomas' Historic 1959 Millrose Games WR HJ Meet director Howard Schmertz: "That was my No. 1 most memorable moment in Millrose history. It brought the house down. It was the loudest roar I ever heard at the Garden. Any sport."
*Former Iowa State Track Coach Steve Lynn Dies At Age 61
Olympic 100m Bottle Thrower Convicted
Guilty: Men's 100m Bottle Thrower Is Convicted Sounds like due to his mental illness, he'll get a slap on the wrist, but the judge's reasoning was sound: "The video, in my view, quite clearly shows Mr Gill-Webb checking to see if he is under observation before taking the risk of throwing the bottle. I am sure that he was at that point weighing up the chances of being caught before throwing
in an effort to disrupt the start of the race and put off Usain Bolt. I am sure, therefore, that he was at that point acting rationally and wrongly."
*MB: OJ Simpson may have gotten off but the Olympic bottle thrower is convicted!!
Video: Kenyan Runner Edwin Kipsang Rotich Was Attacked During Brazil's New Year's Eve Kings Run 10k, But Still Went On To Win Police said the attacker has a history of mental problems and doing stunts like this. Rotich was unfazed at the finish as he didn't even mention the attack in his post-race interview. *Longer Video
Recommended Watch: Very Well Done Documentary On Ryan Vail On The Life Of A Professional Runner "This is my job. It's not about, 'I don't feel like running today' because everyone doesn't feel like going to work today. So I just say, 'This is better than a 9 to 5. Get out there and do your work today. This is going to work. Just get out there and do it.'"
Random US News: Lauren Fleshman Responds To You
- Lauren Fleshman Responds To LRC MB Posters: "Why I'm No Longer With Nike" Fleshman responds directly to LRC message board posters who came up with "several interesting speculations" as to why and how she left Nike.
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No Wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
Run, Recover, Run More
LRC Runners Recover Better And Hopefully Stay Injury Free With These Two Products From The 2012 Running Event Wejo talks about some of the injury prevention products he saw at the The Running Event, which include better methods for massage, icing, and compression.
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
More Lane Updates
- Look Who's Talking: Lance Armstrong Calls Pat McQuaid Pathetic Armstrong: “Pat is just in constant CYA [Cover Your Ass] mode. Pathetic.”
- Exclusive CyclingNews.com Q&A With Lance Armstrong
- WADA Calls UCI "Deceitful"
- Pat McQuaid Accuses WADA Of ‘Personal Vendetta’ Against Cycling
- UCI Decision To Drop Armstrong Probe Was Largely "Financial’